Search Unity

Indie Dev Marketing Co-op

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am evaluating whether to try to start a "Marketing Co-op" for mobile indie game developers. It would be a combination of:

1. a retweet group, like IDRTG.
    2. a download and review group, like AppReviewMe.
    3. an in-game advertising co-op using some of the services in the Asset Store. Rather than an advertising trade service, like Applifier or MAUDAU, the members would vote on the games to promote. With around a 1,000,000 Unity devs, this could be a powerful way to get some of our apps into the top charts.

My main concern right now is the level of interest from fellow indie devs. Since most of you are quite, independent, do you have interest in participating in something like this?

Thanks!
    Shawn

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I see how this could be useful. I think some kind of app-promotion-pipeline thing would be cool, where as apps get submitted, the developer also gets emails of new apps to try out, and perhaps has to review an app or two just to post their own app! Maybe setup some kind of advertising chain and people could cross-promote others new unity apps within their own.

EDIT: oh ps, hi from up in columbus!

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Howdy neighbor ;)

I think this could be a very powerful way to help level the playing field for indies. But it would take a lot of cooperation between a lot of indies.. not sure that is realistic at this point :(

4. goat

goat

I discussed that with another guy in the forums a while back and once you look at the details you realize you'd need a very charitable full-time volunteer and arbitrator to fulfill the secretarial duties, the 'pseudo' ESRB ratings, the genre categorization, and so on besides a budget with money, maybe some of their own. So it's good that's one of the things the ad network Unity is setting up will handle if they are respectful in the type of ads they present.

Every year I see Ohio folk regularly ticketed in summer on their way to Lake Cumberland thinking it's permissible to drive 75 mph in a 45 mph zone.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Pretty sure it is permissible, but only if you have Ohio plates. Your cops must not know the rules ;)

6. goat

goat

Oh, I've written the mayor to try and convince them to put in impartial traffic ticketing cameras in place of the traffic cops and then put the cops to work in areas where it's that not so easy to catch transgressions as sit in traffic all day handing out speeding tickets...they are adding the extra traffic lights and stop signs already.

That said it's been a couple years since I've seen a Buckeye caught now they are going after semis. Those fines must be pretty hefty nowadays.

7. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I think Ohio's sunburst plate is like a cop magnet outside Ohio lol.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ohio-ians are bred for our skills in driving. Common knowledge up hear but people in other states don't seem to respect our lack of need for traffic rules. Someday the rest of the world will catch up...

9. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Lol were so far off topic, but since we are let's talk about how Columbus speed limits don't go over 65 on the freeway - what's up with that? :p

10. yoonitee

yoonitee

Hmmm.... I'm not sure if that would work. Since surely all Unity devs are competing against each other for sales. The system is capitalist rather than communist.

The best way to get your app to the top of the chart is just to make a really good app. There's no magic marketing scheme that will get an app to the top.

I remember back in the olden days of the internet "Webrings" used to be all the rage but after the invention of Google they just died out. The reason being that once a website got big they would opt out of the Webring leaving only substandard websites left in the ring. Therefore if you saw an website in a webring you knew it wasn't very good - the exact opposite of the original purpose!

Just like when you saw a website with loads of "awards" posted on it you knew it was an awful website!