Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SCE PSM Development

Discussion in 'PSM' started by Graham-Dunnett, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Unity for PlayStation®Mobile

We are pleased to announce that the public preview of Unity for PlayStation Mobile public preview is now available. See the Blog post for more details.

To start developing games for PSM Vita you will need:

1. The Sony PSM ToolSet which is needed to 'talk' to the PS Vita.

2. The public beta of Unity for PSM. Note that the regular Unity editor does not have support for PSM.

3. To register with Sony. (If you have previously registered there is no need to register again.)

4. Install the "Development Assistant for Unity" on your PS Vita - available from the PS Store.

The public preview is PC only. Note that the PSM for Vita build option allows you to use your consumer Sony Vita for development.

Links
    Unity Forum
    http://forum.unity3d.com/forums/58-PSM-Development

Unity Editor w/ PSM support
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/psm_public_preview/UnitySetup_update-4.3.4f1.exe

Portal Top
    (before sign-in)
    https://psm.playstation.net/

Portal Top
    (after sign-in)
    https://psm.playstation.net/portal/en/index.html#top (English, sign-in required)
    https://psm.playstation.net/portal/ja/index.html#top (Japanese, sign-in required)

Unity for PSM – Overview
    https://en-support.psm.playstation.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/265 (English, sign-in NOT required)
    https://ja-support.psm.playstation.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/264 (Japanese, sign-in NOT required)

Tool Set DL page
    https://psm.playstation.net/static/general/dev/en/sdk_assets.html (English, sign-in required)
    https://psm.playstation.net/static/general/dev/ja/sdk_assets.html (Japanese, sign-in required)

PSM Tool Set for Unity
    http://psm-resource.np.dl.playstation.net/psm_resource/general/all/PSMToolSetForUnity_1.0.0.3.exe

DL page for DevAssistant
    http://bit.ly/psmdevapp

Docs for PSM Tool Set
    https://psm.playstation.net/static/general/dev/en/unity_for_psm/ (English, sign-in required)
    https://psm.playstation.net/static/general/dev/ja/unity_for_psm/ (Japanese, sign-in required)

2. SpacePixel

SpacePixel

Will we get an OSX preview version?

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Woohoo, great news :)

PSM SDK is Windows Only, so I would assume that you have to get Sony to first support OSX at all as a development platform for their platforms, at least I expect Unity to rely on the official tools internally.

4. wicked208

wicked208

include development for the old psp?

5. Ciziu

Ciziu

As far as I've heard, the performance of PSM SDK was capped to support low-end phones with PSM shop. Is it still the case, or is this deployment option able to use full hardware power of Vita?

6. SpacePixel

SpacePixel

That's a shame, just as I thought I had all my dev needs in one iMac.
    Thanks for the info D

7. rmcsc

rmcsc

You could always try Boot Camp or Parallels.

8. orb

orb

When you sign up with Sony there's an option to specify that you use OS X. They'll use that for statistics, so Mac developers should sign up and show interest.

9. spacefrog

spacefrog

Totally exited about this...

From the Unity Blog

Does that mean that Unity PSM will be a FREE Unity module ( like Windows Store and WP8 ) when it's finally released ?

That would indeed be totally awasome !

10. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Also would like, once i went mac, i can't go back.

Well i can.. but i'd prefer not too ;)

11. spacefrog

spacefrog

Strange - when running the Unity for PSM Preview, it still says my licence does'nt cover PS Vita Publishing in the build options?

What do other people get there ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  12. cynic

cynic

Fantastic. Now Sony... go ahead an release your toolset for OSX! :)

13. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

@Spacefrog

Did you download the Unity beta with PSM support?

14. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

When i installed it gave me 2 Unitys.
    Normal one, and the preview vita one.
    Had to go to /C: programme files, theres two unity folders, choose the vita preview one, run the unity file in that one, and not the 'original' unity one. :) Its what i had to do anyway!

15. spacefrog

spacefrog

Yes definitely - Build date in the about dialog is 1. April ( i guess this is NOT a prank ;-) )

I even renamed my existing license file ( pro for Android/iOs/Blackberry ) and requested a new 30 days pro evaluation one to the same result

Will simply try a reinstall, if that's not successfull, i'll try on a virtual machine with no previous Unity installed...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  16. spacefrog

spacefrog

Ahhh - silly me !

I was looking at the PS Vita export , this is indeed disabled, but PS Mobile is active !!!

sorry for the confusion , everything is clear now ;-)

17. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I guess that is still the case. No native Vita performance allowed.

18. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

There is native support for Vita with Unity's PS Vita build option (as per @Spacefrog's screenshot.) This forum is for the PSM build option which works for Vita.

19. mgear

mgear

I dont see download button in the "PlayStation@Mobile Development Assistant for Unity" in PS Vita store..

(it does show download buttons for other games.. but i've never used ps vita before, so i'm not sure what could be the problem..oO )

20. R.SUEIRO

R.SUEIRO

I have a problem with the installation of Unity for PSM, asks me for a serial and not where to find it.

regards

21. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Manually search for 'Unity' in the store search bar, its how i found it ;)

22. R.SUEIRO

R.SUEIRO

Do not be displayed because you have not yet registered and you entered your user. Once you introduce your email and password button will appear.
    regards

23. PeteD

PeteD

You need to visit a specific link from the browser on your vita. The link is on the PSM site once you have logged in and accepted all the license agreements.

24. Ciziu

Ciziu

I get it. My question is if the performance difference between those 2 is only about the overhead from Mono, or is the PSM build performance artificially capped to abilities of low-end PSM devices.

25. mgear

mgear

Thanks, visited the link now,
    but it seems can only use 1 email account for PS vita? (this is not my device)

I logged out the current user, tried to login with the registered developer email,
    but it says: "You must sign in with the account that is linked with this PS Vita system"..
    (and only solution for that seems to be formatting whole device..cannot do that)

26. PeteD

PeteD

For anyone interested.

I've been running a few tests on my Surface Pro 2 and it looks like this will make a very nice little development station for making Unity Vita games. Performance seems ok but, I haven't taxed the vita yet. Just playing the angry bots demo and the 2D platformer. Next step is a fully fledged little 2D game.

27. GMM

GMM

Been waiting on free Vita development since forever, so this is a pretty lucky coincidence considering i just bought a Vita system last week. It's a bit silly we have to wait for Sony to approve the publisher license for local deployment, but i suppose there is no way around it.

I have no real interest in publishing for PSM, but i would suppose that any code made using Unity for PSM will be fully working using the full Vita license(anyone who can confirm?).

None the less, a very cool initiative by Sony and Unity, been waiting on doing development on the actual hardware!

28. Blinx123

Blinx123

I'm curious.
    Just how compatible is this PSM specific Unity3D? Could I, theoretically, create a game in regular Unity3D on my Mac, test drive it on my Android tablet for a bit and then load and build the whole project inside Windows 7 (Parallels or otherwise)?

I'd really like to keep Windows consumption -- and thus, the possibility of a heart attack -- to a minimum.

29. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I use Mac and Paralleles, with Unity-PSM on virtual windows 7. And proper windows 7 on Alienware notebook. Both work fine, been moving projects between both too ;)
    And i've had my iOS and Android games on vita within minutes and without changing anything on the projects either.

Basically.. it's easier and simpler than what iOS and Android setting and building are haha. Hows that? ;)

30. pixelone

pixelone

What serial? Unity? If it's Unity pop your Unity Pro serial in or select Pro-Trial. Unity3d (Standard) does not require a password so you can just skip it all together.

31. MrDude

MrDude

Well that is good news as I have not been able to detect my Vita under Virtual Box. I was afraid that this can't work under emulation. Excellent news.

Also, I could have sworn that I read they are planning to support OSX when the final version launches this Summer... Did I misinterpret that somehow?

And finally, just in case you didn't know, one of the steps to publishing is registering as a publisher and registration is only available to a hand full of countries. I think it's safe to say that most of us will not be able to use this export option. Sony simply won't allow us... :(

32. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

I hope it comes to OXS, having to move games from osx to windows and back takes ages XD especially with large projects.
    It may come to your country, they are just using the rest of us as 'testers' haha i'm sure you'l get the finished end version at some point. :)

33. MrDude

MrDude

I just hope it doesn't really take till 2037 or beyond, though... Maybe they will allow me to publish onto the PS7 ? :(

Anyways, I was reading every link I could find these part few days so not sure where I read about OSX but I'm sure it was on one of the pages from Sony themselves... I'll post the link when I find it again.

+1 on the Windows and back thing. I created a VM to run one or two Win software I just can't match on Mac so I just created a small-ish virtual hdd. Last night I installed Unity on there and I was left with too little space to copy over even one of my small project folders :(. With over 80Gb worth of projects gathered up over the past few years and only 1Gb of space left on my VM, yeah, working in OSX has a clear benefit just in that respect alone :p lol

...or perhaps I should just make an extra V-HDD but argh, the duplication gives me the creeps

34. orb

orb

You could also resize the virtual drive if you have Parallels ;)
    (Tangent: I'd love to see full drive support for VMs!)

If you've got growing projects (which you often do working with 3D - even a simple set of assets bloats to several gigabytes) the asset/cache servers work alright. Probably Pro only, though. I'm still holding out on installing Unity in Windows, so I dunno if it counts as a full Pro version with all those features too. But if it does, give it a try. Switching platforms will be easier with the cache server, and the asset server means less to transfer when going back and forth between installations.