Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

1st Game 1st Question

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by rgodwin, Apr 7, 2014.

1. rgodwin

rgodwin

Alright I've been watching tutorials on youtube the last few days now and am getting close to starting my first game project. So here's my first question. I want to make a large open world game. Is there a need for me to create different scenes for large cities like skyrim did? Anything else you think I should now please say it cause I now 1% of what i need to at the moment. Thanks and Gig'em

2. piluve

piluve

Tip:start with something smaller :D

3. fholm

fholm

1) wrong forum
    2) start with building a finished PONG clone

4. SouthernCoder69

SouthernCoder69

Opposite approach - start with world of warcraft clone, but think BIGGER and MORE OPEN WORLD + EXPONENTIALLY MORE PLAYERS. Then you will be where you want to be to start. Never start small, instant gratification is only a few days around the corner…keep copy pasting scripts you randomly find on youtube videos by 12 year olds in the ukraine and you will be done in no time :) Enjoy!

5. rgodwin

rgodwin

Lol Ok. So is that a yes or a no to the city deal?

6. Sphelps

Sphelps

Love how people support each other on here!

7. Glader

Glader

If this is your first game then you need to start with something simpler. If this also one of your first programming projects it MUST be a very simple project.

Start small, don't try to make Skyrim or World of Warcraft. That's millions of lines.

8. Ibzy

Ibzy

As sarcastic as SouthernCoder was being, I'd say there is an element of truth behind it.
    I've only recently (about a year or so) started and found that I am much more driven to work on and complete a project I am excited about and want to make - so if you're looking to create you're own ESO, find some tutorials to get you started and give it a go. You will very quickly feel quite overwhelmed and be tempted to give up, but what you will see is how much goes into such a project, and hopefully (like me) break it down into pieces: networking, environments, models/animations, item classes, inventory systems, deungeon building, story writing, etc. - the list goes on.

It is at this point I found myself making smaller games which focus on one element at a time, but knowing that long term learning these skills will allow me to achieve my main goal help keep me dedicated to the task.

In answer to your question though - it is personal choice. Major towns and cities are often separated into their own scenes/levels to reduce bandwidth and/or performance issues. Think about having to keep track of every player in Stormwind in WoW no matter where you are in the game world, or having to store NPC data and render everything inside Whiterun despite being nowhere near it (while probably not 100% accurate, gives you some idea as to why you would separate). That said, a seamless feel to entering towns and cities does give a better playing experience I feel. You need to weigh up the pros and cons of both.

Good luck with your project.

9. chrisall76

chrisall76

If your planning on a huge open world, you'll need more than just multiple scenes. Your handling ai and how the world will load.
    Just using multiple scenes and nothing else to handle it won't be too good performance-wise. Something more along the lines of Dishonored
    (linear open-world you could say) would be a better place to start. I would even suggest starting smaller by joining Ludum Dares and One Game A Month.