Search Unity

Simple Authentication Question

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by JeffWScott, Apr 7, 2014.

1. JeffWScott

JeffWScott

Hey guys, I'm so sorry if this question has been answered, but I can't find an answer to my specific question.

I want to setup a database that stores information for an asynchronous turn based game.
    I do not want to have to manage passwords (encryption and resetting, etc).

The Question is: What is the methodology around getting players to authenticate to your database (ie. create a new account) but using something like Google+, Facebook, MS Account, OpenID to actually do the authentication?

In my mind the user would click either Google+ or Facebook buttons (like I have seen in other games), they would authenticate though that service, and then I would have access to their e-mail address. I would use the e-mail address as their unique identifier and then I would have them create a username. Am I on the right track, or is it easier then all that? What's the workflow after that when they need to login again?

Any information would be super helpful as I try and plan for this.. like a blog, or forum post or a tutorial.. anything really.

2. piluve

piluve

3. JeffWScott

JeffWScott

Thank you!

4. JeffWScott

JeffWScott

Okay, so I think I have the work-flow kind of figured out for this. But I still have one question on the topic.

If I have the user logon using Facebook Connect, and I use Facebook Connect to tell me who the user is, what unique identifier am I getting back from Facebook to tie into my Database?

I'd like to get their e-mail address from Facebook then I can tie that to a username in my database, but what happens if that user changes their e-mail address with Facebook? The next time they go to login to my game I will have no record of them.

So should I be using the oAuth token?

Am I over complicating this :).

Please help.

5. JeffWScott

JeffWScott

I may have stumbled upon my own answer...

The Facebook API returns {id:} which is a facebook specific unique identifier. So I would store that in my database and tie it to an app specific username...

Right... . . ? right.

6. tobiass

tobiass