Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Castaway [School exam project]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Brahim113, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Brahim113

Brahim113

it is my first time i start a thread here in the "Works in progress" area. I could have started this to early. But this is something i could write about on my exam. I will try to upload this thread as often as i can. Even after the exam.

The project
    I am creating a game for my exam in my University here in Sweden. The game does not have to be finished. But i need to show progress. My main focus in this game is my client/server structure that i am building. That is what my teachers will look at. So i will not show off so much art at this point(But some Stonehearth/Minecraft ish could i have time for).

I am using Lidgrens network library to write my networking part. The server is not written inside Unity. It works and acts alone. I am writing it as authorative as i can (within reason). It will not send any wasted data to a client that does not need it.

What have i implemented
    - Clients can now connect to the server and get a Gameobject that they can move
    - Logics for prediction in both the server and the client is implemented (Movement)
    - The server will only send data to the client that is in need of that data (Example: If 2 clients are very far away from eachother. They will not get updates on what the other one is doing)
    - The server sends a message to delete the other client gameObject that is to far away (ofc the client acts on that message)
    - I have implemented on the server so it is easy for me to ad new entities without having to repeat alot of code.
    - The server is checking messages if they are false (If lets say someone sends a position and velocity message that is wrong. In other words if the client is lagging hard or cheating ) The server will then deny that mesage
    Briefly:
    Clients can connect to the server and walk around. They can see eachothers movement and bump into one another if they feel like it. :)
    + They cant speedhack ^^

The Vision
    I want to create a game that reminds alot of Rust. But a more top-down experience. I have many ideas that i will have time to explore in the upcoming months/years. I am not a artist of any sort. Im a programmer. But if i do my own models. I will have a voxel design on everything

I will of course try to update this thread even more in later days/weeks. The university promised me a server where i can host my project. So when i get clearance, i will get the server running there and let you fellow developers try my application as i update it.

Tips/Questions
    Do you have any tips/questions of any kind? I am more than happy to hear it.

Cheers everyone and sorry for my bad grammar.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

you should get a modeler, man. doubly true! Otherwise, good luck on achieving your server.