Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Announcing] Parkour System Beta (UFPS Addon)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yung, Apr 4, 2014.

1. yung

yung

After a year of work, I am now happy enough to announce the Parkour System addon for UFPS. If you want to create Mirror's Edge type of parkour game, this will be the add-on you will need! At it's current state, the parkour system is functional but far from complete. I'll appreciate any feedbacks, comments, critiques or bug reports that you guys have found. Here's the webplayer demo.

Parkour Build Demo

Here's some of the features that are implemented.

Implemented Features
    - Climbing up Ledge
    - Hanging on Ledge
    - Wallhang
    - Wallrun
    - Dash
    - Double Jump
    - Ground Slide

What's Left
    I'll be working on stomping as many bugs as possible, writing documentation for it and getting it ready for submission to Asset Store. Currently we are aiming to release the first version by end of April.

What's Next?
    Here's some of the features we plan to support after release.

- Integration with UFPS Multiplayer Addon
    Once the multiplayer add-on is out, we will be working hard to integrate and support the multiplayer addon, as our game most likely will be using UFPS's as well, so this will be main priority.

- Full Body Awareness First Person Animation
    There's a lot of request for this, and we have done some test and got some positive result and it's doable but extremely awkward to work with, but we will refactor this once UFPS updates their support for full body awareness.

Once again, thanks for checking this out, and please, any feedbacks and comments are much appreciated!

2. primus88

primus88

I like this system and could come in useful for me in a couple of months.
    If you manage to also implement a visible body function I would buy it on the spot.

3. SteveB

SteveB

This feels pretty good, and definitely felt like Titanfall actually, with the double-jump to wall-run to double-jump (couldn't quite chain wall-runs together when jumping off the first wall-run). Ground slide felt good too (Farcry 3).

But...couldn't ledge hang nor any dashing. (Edit: okay seems like ledge hanging works only part of the time or only on certain ledges)

Lastly, the arms were offset to my left, rather than feeling like it was a part of my body.

Good job man!

-Steven

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  4. yung

yung

@primus88
    I do have a try out with a fullbody model but as it turns out, while it will work, the animation is very hard to work with, as I have to fight with the camera. We've inform Calle and the UFPS team about this and the next few iteration should address this issue. Once UFPS has that tackled, we will definitely implement full body.

@SteveB
    Dang, I forgot to include the instruction. You initiate dash by tapping Run, and you will dash to whichever direction you are running towards. I'll look into adding this into the instruction.

There's actually two mode for climbing, below a certain height obstacle, you will just vault on top, and only higher ledges you will hang on to it. But perhaps I should look into making this more easier to access.

And good eye on the offset, I noticed it happened most of the time, gonna look into my code and see if I can fix this issue.

Thanks for taking a look!

5. SteveB

SteveB

No problem yung, and yea I give props to assets that are genuinely well executed; a good example, which leads into my next bit of advice, is Partel's Final IK...

...which I think might help you here with having flexible and accurate environmental contact for both the arms and legs. The system needs to be reasonably organic, as it could be difficult to account for every possible instance when moving around and interacting with geometry, so a bit of procedural motion should aid in making the character feel connected to the world.

Keep it going man!

-Steven

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. yung

yung

That's a pretty good idea. I will look into FinalIK, the features on it so far are pretty awesome. Could see this working really well especially with full body once it is in.

7. yung

yung

8. Z43D

Z43D

Hey Yung!

It's coming along great! The full-body system is definitely working quite a bit better for me than the standard system. One thing that popped out at me...the camera seemed to freak out a bit on ledges. (and the clipping which is to be expected in the first release heh)

I'm incorporating UFPS in my project for the camera movements more so than the weapons or any of the other stuff. I'm probably in the minority but I'd love to see what it looks like without the weapons or arms (those felt awkward in the first demo). If you get full-body awareness working REALLY well, this is a moot point...but I'm still curious as to what it would look like with just the camera movements, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, awesome job. I'm looking forward to the improvements :)

9. SteveB

SteveB

Oh btw Yung...

...there is a small bug in the room with the opening in the ceiling. When inside, you can mantle to the roof if you wall-run up the interior walls, or at least when doing this at the window. I was attempting to jump though said window to the outside, and instead wall-ran straight up and appeared on the roof.

Speaking of windows, a bit of context sensitivity could allow the player to dive through when they are near the window, facing the window and jumping while running.

Cheer!

-Steven

10. awesomeaustin316

awesomeaustin316

There is a couple bugs with the system right now. It seems to collide very poorly with the ramps geometry , as I was able to recreate this several times, but if you run at an angle to one of the first ramps, you'll glitch into it and the only way out is to crouch. Also, you can completely run up the walls by spamming jump. Causing you to reach past the wall barriers. Just thought I'd write these two in case you haven't encountered them yet.

11. yung

yung

@Zedalisdesign, yeah that's the problem with the camera so far. To my knowledge, it's because of the camera fighting against the mesh which is appearing before it. I believe UFPS will work on this issue, and hopefully we'll address this soon. But definitely one of the thing we will fix.
    I will work on building a webplayer without the meshes, with just the camera info just for you, but it will have to wait for now. Check out from time to time!

@SteveB, that's weird, I should have fixed this issue. I will look into this, thanks for pointing this out! Could you elaborate more on the diving and context sensivity?

@awesomeaustin316, thanks man! Yeah that is definitely one issue I am struggling to fix, as it's a mixture of level design, the way parkour check for collision. I will definitely address this issue and hope to minimize this. The wall barrier infinite jump to, will definitely look into this.

Thanks for the feedback fellows, please do keep it coming! Cheers

12. SteveB

SteveB

What I would do simply is have a trigger volume around the window, however many units in size feels good, that checks for one to three logical conditions.

At first I thought about having the player both Running and Jumping while Facing the window when within this volume to have him dive through the window...

...but the player may actually want to just Jump and not dive out, so this complicates things...

...so perhaps a better condition to check would be a simple Dash while Facing the window while within the trigger volume.

Alternatively you could make the move a 'Skill Move', and require the player do a slide INTO the volume and, before the slide is over, require the player hit Jump as if springing off the ground and out the window.

-Steven

13. awesomeaustin316

awesomeaustin316

Glad to help :) I would love to just play around with this all day finding new things. It's a really good system, and I myself have always used Fps Constructor, before it went free, but this just might make me go to UFPS. In fact, I'm pretty sure it will. UFPS has always been something I wanted to try, and it just seems to be getting better and better. Especially after seeing this.

14. yung

yung

@SteveB
    I see what you mean, so it's a sort of context sensitive action that allows the player to dive through windows and other small opening. It definitely sounds interesting, though I am not sure how could do and if it provides any gameplay mechanics besides the cool factor. Will definitely give it a try.

@awesomeaustin316
    Thanks! You should really check out UFPS, regardless of wether you will pick this parkour system. It's really a powerful system especially if you want to do FPS.

15. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

this is badass! The controls are actually very similar to what i remember from ME - well done!

16. SteveB

SteveB

Well think how this convo started; I tried jumping out of the window and ended up on the roof. Fine that was a bug, but also I couldn't just 'small jump' out the window.

The gameplay mechanic is still under Navigation, and yes that so called "cool factor" is attention to detail. Alternatively you'd either have to have a window that is rather large to accommodate that first jump (eg Titanfall) or at least as tall as the player volume in hopes that the player can jump while near it and press Forward to hopefully catch the upper inside of the window frame to pass through...never mind that he has to run up to the window first before attempting this.

Lastly, and this just popped into my head, but one of the free Mecanim demos on Player Collision Volume scaling has the character jumping through a rather tiny opening and coupled with the fancy anim looks quite good. Now imagine how fluid and fancy this can look when the player can maintain his speed while having an appropriate animation play when going through the window. This isn't any different than the slide to be honest. Both have unique animation and both have unique navigation possibilites (one goes over and one goes under).

Anyway the quick and easy way to do this is have a boolean, so when the player is inside this trigger AND is facing the window (Raycast from player X units?), the variable is True. At that point prior to checking input, first see if this is True, and upon pressing the appropriate keys, dives through the window into a roll into a run.

Cheers man

-Steven

17. SteveB

SteveB

Remember from YOU huh?! Very impressive, especially the double-jump!! :p

18. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Someone have been playing titanfall a lot...

19. SteveB

SteveB

It's funny yea I seem to be stressing Titanfall... :D

...but believe you me Mirrors Edge has the superior mechanic, only that is FAR and away more robust than what is easily achievable IMHO. Between the physics behind her momentum to the fluidity going from move to move, not to mention the best sense of self in the FP avatar, it's the hallmark for FP movement through an environment.

That said, Yungs system IS in fact Titanfall more than anything, at least thats how its 'feels' to play, never mind the fact that there's double-jumps which ME clearly didn't have. :D

End of the day, this kind of navigation is very satisfying regardless, so yea TF or ME, I'm pretty enthusiastic.

Cheers mang

-Steven

P.S. Oh and short of playing it for about a week, I honestly stopped...not entirely sure why it hasn't resonated with me as much as a 'game' ::shrugs::

20. yung

yung

@SteveB
    That is actually in fact a cool sound idea, and I believe that's what I wanted to implement at first, though it's not working as intended currently. I will look into this dive through window more, not too sure how I am gonna do the animation, but will try! Got to agree with you on Mirror Edge, definitely the more well done parkour experience, though Titanfall's ease of movement suits what I had in mind for this parkour system.

@Eyehawk
    Thanks, Mirror Edge definitely was the first source of inspiration, though I won't deny Titanfall's influence when I am developing this.

@rea
    yup, Titanfall is a fun game! Will you believe me that I developed my game and this system about six, seven months before they first announced it? Turns out I am doing the same game :(

21. Dan-Stubbs

Dan-Stubbs

Amazing work, and I can't wait to try out the demo. I've been planning to add parkour into my game at some point in the future, never dreamed I might be able to do it for release.

Just a quick question: Will the ledge-climbing need triggers to be set up in the editor, or does it calculate everything using raycasting?

http://www.thehitgame.co.uk

22. yung

yung

It's currently everything using raycasting. It's fidgety sometimes, and I aim to solve this on subsequent releases.
    You can actually try out the demo, it's in the first post and in the previous few post. I think I need to make the link more obvious!

23. Dan-Stubbs

Dan-Stubbs

Thanks. I did actually see that, I was just on my iPad at the time.

I've had a chance to play both versions now, and I think it's going to be perfect for my needs. I have a list of 'cinematic moments' I wish to make possible in The Hit, and climbing a fence while running from the police/other players is definitely on there.

For future demos, would it be possible to add controller support? I don't use a mouse, unless I absolutely have to, because of painful RSI problems in the past, so it would be incredibly helpful. Also, it would give me a much better idea of how it'll work in-game.

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this, it's a remarkable piece of kit.

http://www.thehitgame.co.uk/

24. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Cool! I was able to climb outside by going to the corner of the walls and alternating my jumps for each jump

25. yung

yung

@Dan Stubbs
    Controller support is not yet in the main build, but I've managed to get it working with an Xbox Controller. A little awkward for me, as I am used to keyboard and mouse, but I will look into it. And thanks, glad you like it!

@yuriythebest
    Yeah hahaha you can still do that. I will aim to solve this once and for all in subsequent updates! Still I suspect there's no easy way to eliminate this, especially around corners.

And this is for @ZedalisDesign , and anyone else interested, a build just with the camera system.
    Do take note, this version I've put some hard limits on groundsliding, so you can only groundslide after running for a while. It also makes jumping and landing into a ground slide harder, but still do able.
    Added more dash counters and a GUI to see the refresh

ParkourBuild Camera Only

26. Banana13

Banana13

27. Z43D

Z43D

Hey Yung,

I love the system without the meshes. It's perfect for prototyping for sure, even for a final game. I'd probably use it unless your full body awareness system is super polished. My only question... When is it coming out? :)

28. yung

yung

@Banana13
    Thanks mate! Currrently we are aiming it to be around UFPS's price range, though since this is technically still in beta, we will launch at a discounted price!

@ZedalisDesign
    The main priority will still be to make the parkour system for my game first, as there's some features that need to be re-written. The first person full body awareness support will then happen once the core features are stable, and UFPS has the proper support for it.

29. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

btw when climbing into the wall sometimes the hand position are bit off not exactly in front of camera, not a big deal actually it's just i'm a bit nitpick for those kind of thing, sorry :p

30. zgeorge22

zgeorge22

Wow! This is absolutely amazing. I was wondering when it would be coming out, and if it will be free, because this is wonderful. Or if you could just help me with the wall running and double jump stuff. Thanks!

31. yung

yung

@rea
    Those are issues are currently fixed, though there's a rare occassion of it still happening. I am still looking for an optimum solution.

@zgeorge22
    It should be coming out soon as we are mainly squashing bugs and making sure there's minimal errors. It won't but free but it will be comparable to UFPS's pricing system. It's still to be determined. The wallrunning and double jump will be included in this system.

32. zgeorge22

zgeorge22

Thanks for answering. Also will the package have editable scripts so we can customize the code. And in the demo, which is awesome, after wall running, shouldn't it reset the double jump so you can jump twice again?

33. yung

yung

@zgeorge22
    Yes you will be able to edit and customize the code. I aim to make it well documented and for you to see how it's done.
    Regarding, it is indeed supposed to reset but due to the way the wallrunning was written, it was not resetting properly. The latest code now has since fix this issue.

34. zgeorge22

zgeorge22

Wait, if this is an addon to UFPS, will it require UFPS, or can we use it without it, just for parkour, etc.? Thanks!

35. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Hmm you might want to expand this thing so it can be used on TPS, could be great tho.
    Btw not sure if this already posted, maybe i missed it. but if you standing still in ground floor then crouch it will going through the ground and fall into the abyss (only happen in starting point, restart the game and press crouch )

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  36. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is pretty great!

37. yung

yung

@zgeorge22
    It does require UFPS, as it works on top of the UFPS system.

@rea
    as this is developed for the game I am working on, the features will be prioritized for first person, though I won't outright say no to TPS yet.

@Genebox
    Thanks!

38. zgeorge22

zgeorge22

Wait, will UFPS 1.4.6 work, cuz thats what I have, but the latest is 1.4.7, Is that OK? Thanks!

39. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

My cash is waiting for you :)

40. yung

yung

@zgeorge22
    It will require UFPS 1.4.7, as there's some functions that are needed in the latest version.

@ForceGaming2013
    Thanks for the support! Will try to get it polished up as soon as possible!

41. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

1) I'm guessing you are waiting for the multiplayer to release before releasing this?
    2) The moment you release this, please eMail me: entergamestudio@gmail.com | :p I want to get it on release :p

42. yung

yung

@ForceGaming2013
    I'm using my own multiplayer implementation so I am just doing a lot of testing to make sure it won't cause any issues. There's still a rare but serious bug, but otherwise the code is pretty much done, manual is almost done, and it's ready for release :D

And yes, I will email you once it's released!

43. mathias234

mathias234

Looks cool!

44. zgeorge22

zgeorge22

Theoretically would your Parkour System wall running work on cylindrical surfaces or just on flat surfaces? Thanks!

45. yung

yung

@mathias234
    Thanks! Keep checking back, we are gearing up for release

@zgeorge22
    Right now it only works on flat surfaces . Cylindrical shapes are currently not working properly, especially if it's too thin. It will be supported in the future, as I am looking at further supporting this.

46. ZhavShaw

ZhavShaw

The anxiousness is killing mmm XD

47. ZunaUchiha

ZunaUchiha

This is a fun game as a demo. It was a little hard catching on to the wall jumping but it was great after a while. And its amazing to have done all of this in a year.
    (Also while climbing up a ledge hands seem to go into the wall)

Nice Work!

48. yung

yung

Just a little update. The core of the parkour system is done, mainly I am just optimizing and making it's bug free. However the time sink is in documentation, I totally underestimated proof reading and quality control. Good news however is most major bug has been squashed and I am almost done with it. Thanks for your patience so far!

@ZunaUchiha
    Thanks, I am mainly working on top of UFPS which is already a very good FPS framework, so i guess you can think of this Parkour addon as a mod of some sort.

49. yung

yung

Just a short update. Everything is being finalized now, will be submitting the package to Unity soon. Target release date should be by next week! The parkour system will be called acParkour

Stay tuned for more info, and as usual, thanks for your support!

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  50. yung

yung

We have just submitted it to the Asset store, and is currently pending review!
    Stay tuned fellows!