Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Retro-Remake" Mapping Contest - Deadline April 31st

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahodahan, Apr 4, 2014.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow- it's been a full year since the last major "contest" we held (the "Sci-Fi Contest", http://bit.ly/1h9VgTb)

ProBuilder Retro-Remake Mapping Contest

Contest Theme
    Remake a map or level from a classic game, using Probuilder (or Prototype) in Unity, similar to the “DOOM E1M1” demo, which you can find at: http://bit.ly/1jP9WZW.

Good examples are pretty much anything from 1990 to 2000, such as:

• Quake
    • Doom
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • Fallout 1 and 2
    • Thief 1 and 2
    • Deus Ex
    • Unreal Tournament (the original)
    • ...post more examples and I'll add them to this list :smile:

If you aren't sure whether a certain game/map qualifies, just ask. The idea here is iconic, recognizable maps/levels that will have people sinking deep into happy nostalgia.

Note: Taking 'Creative License' with interesting, well-planned, functional and aesthetic improvements is very much encouraged! Keep the map clearly recognizable, of course, but feel free to take it a step further than the original developers did.

Rules

• Deadline is April 31st, midnight, Pacific Standard Time
    • All entries must include screenshots (720 or 1080p) and a link to webplayer demo
    • Map must be created between April 1st and May 7th
    • All geometry must be created with ProBuilder or Prototype (to keep it fair for all)
    • No teams on this one- individuals only
    • All work must be original, created by you and you only!

Judging
    Entries will be judged primarily on overall aesthetic appearance, and playability of the webplayer demo. Recreating the original look and feel of the original map is important, as well. However, good use of “creative license” is encouraged! If you do change things, be sure to point out what, and why.

Entries will be judged by a panel of industry-veteran artists and developers, similar to the Sci-Fi Contest. This way, there is no "popularity contest", just real, honest, critique.

Prizes
    We don't want this contest to about the prize, more about having a great time rebuilding something from your childhood! That said, we will be giving away the full ProCore Complete Bundle to the top entry, and the ProCore Utility Bundle to the 2 runners-up.

There will also be weekly "Best WIP" prizes (every Saturday), so post your WIP images here, to help inspire others and keep the competition exciting!

Questions?
    Ask 'em here, or email me directly via "contact@procore3d.com"

EXTRA: Free 'Prototype' and 'QuickGrids' for Contestants
    To make this fair and doable for all, anyone can grab a free copy of both "Prototype" and "QuickGrids", just by posting here, and telling us the map they'd like to recreate for the contest!

Please play fair and use this copy of the tool just for the contest - if you really like it, purchase to support it's continued development, thank you!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. yahodahan

yahodahan

A quick clarification: theme is really "1990-2000 Games Remake". I suppose we all have a different idea of what is "Retro" or "Classic", ha. So this would be Wolfenstein through Deus Ex, roughly:)

3. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Unreal Tournament 99? :p

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Unreal Tournament, yes!

5. OboShape

OboShape

I remember spending hours playing Descent.
    slight twist on the norm FPS, but could make for an interesting one, especially with the style limiting to travelling down tunnels and caverns.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Descent would be a great idea! Might be tough to figure out how to add a webplayer...the character controller would need to be custom. I'd love to see it though :) Spent many hours in that game myself...

7. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

don't you know that april has 30 days?

very nice and interesting contest!!!!

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Erm...I guess it's the never ending contest then! ;)

(facepalm)

9. Ocid

Ocid

Cool contest.

Might try and give myself the time to do this next week and see how far I can get making Deck 16.

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yes! Ah, forgot how much I used to play Unreal Tournament :D Someone else is re-creating "Facing Worlds" as well. Keep 'em coming!

(do you have Prototype/ProBuilder already? If not, just send me an email and I'll ship you over the "contest" version)

11. Ocid

Ocid

Hah yeah I was UT guy as well back in the day.

I don't no. Only just watched your videos on the E1M1 yesterday while I was doing other stuff and thought it looked pretty cool. Great choice of level by the way :D

I'll drop a mail next week if I'm sure I can spare the time. Don't want to waste your time if I can't spare my own.

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ok, great, looking forward to that email. Worth taking a shot at, even just for fun :)

13. chelnok

chelnok

Descent! That was the best at the time! Intense was.. unexplainable! I remember i had to delete it, because one of us had too bad obsession to play it, and anyone else ever had a chance to play it ..or any other game :)

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Careful, you're going to make me go waste hours playing Descent now...must resist!

Congrats on taking your "Rocket Wreck" game all the way to finish (or near?) !

15. Prt0100

Prt0100

I am considering taking part in this. Would classic counter-strike maps be acceptable?

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

For sure! I think someone is already doing "de_dust2", though- nothing says you can't do the same one, but variety is great :) Just in case you were thinking the same map, I know it's a popular one.

Thanks for joining in!

17. Prt0100

Prt0100

Ok, thanks. I was considering doing cs_office.

18. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sounds good! Just send me an email if you need that "trial" version of Prototype or QuickGrids :)

19. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Here's my first WIP. Still very raw. Notice my Translocator in hand (yes I used Probuilder to make it) which actually works (I teleported myself up here). This is Unreal Tournament 99 Facing Worlds Map. All this is just place holders to get a handle on scale.

$Wip01.png

Demo video of my Translocator in action. I plan on having this in the demo too.
    [video=youtube_share;FwvGAMQAJ44]http://youtu.be/FwvGAMQAJ44

20. c-Row

c-Row

Does it have to be an FPS?

21. yahodahan

yahodahan

You can create anything at all, just make sure it's from around the 90s, to match the theme, and has a working webplayer so the map can be explored like a real game level.

Thanks for the interest!

22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Awesome work!! Great to see you adding functionality into the map as well, this is going to be a favorite for sure. Nice work making the gun itself in ProBuilder as well :)

23. c-Row

c-Row

Since you already mention Fallout in the rules, I guess Syndicate should be fine. :D

24. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sure! Just looked that up- interesting game, that is.

25. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Just to be clear.

This means you have to make your own textures too, correct?

26. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

what is a pro core?

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks for requesting clarification on that.

You can use any textures at all, no restrictions. However, all world geometry must be your own. Character art and code, such as the UFPS kit, is fine to use.

Keeping the rules simple- build a great map
    (on your own), and detail that map (on your own).

I will update that in the post and on the poster, ASAP.

28. yahodahan

yahodahan

I'm not quite sure if I'm being poked at or not ;) so I'll answer simply- ProCore is just the "brand" I label ProBuilder, ProGroups, ProGrids, etc with. Just a name, is all.

29. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

what does this asset do? it is an asset, right?

30. yahodahan

yahodahan

ProBuilder (or it's "little brother", Prototype) are tools that allow you to build and texture geometry right in Unity, so you have an extremely quick, uninterrupted workflow. Best way to check it out would be via the new tutorial series, "Recreating DOOM's Classic E1M1 Map", tons of good info there, and a solid, if simple, demo of what can be done with the tools: forum.unity3d.com/threads/237485-DOOM-quot-E1M1-quot-Level-Recreated-in-Style!-Webplayer-10-Part-Video-Tutorial

Thanks for the interest, hope to see you in the contest here! :)

31. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

pretty cool tool. i'll probably recreate ut99's dom-cinder map.

32. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

I would like to enter making the diablo 1 main city... :')

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks, great to have you on board! :) Loving all the UT99 maps!

34. yahodahan

yahodahan

That's the game I was forgetting! Ah, so many hours, so many brain cells burnt into that game... good times. Great choice for a map, actually makes me want to go back and re-create it myself, as well :) You'll be catching the nostalgia of quite a few gamers with that one. Looking forward to it :)

Don't worry everyone, I'm not judging the contest- but so far this map has me the most excited! Only one other could top it (for me)...we'll see if it pops up...

35. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Indeed! actually i keep my original box of diablo 1 (full of cracks :s)
    i will do my best to keep the Tristan scensse! :D

36. c-Row

c-Row

So, after an extensive four-hour session of ProBuilder last night I can report the following:

- right now my personal workflow consists of lots of extrusion and collapsing vertices afterwards. I guess once you have more training with ProBuilder and modeling in general things should become more streamlined
    - in that context it's fascinating how many tris you can save by optimizing geometry
    - 90's isometric games hardly had realistic architecture, but for this contest I decided to prefer accurate reconstruction over realism
    - you start wondering how you would model a certain building you see on your way to the office the next day :D

37. IrishDev

IrishDev

As both System Shock 2 and SiN where released in the 90's (99 98) I assume that these would be ok to use?

38. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ha, same here- right next to the Warcraft II, Thief I, and Warzone 2100 boxes ;) Ah, the good 'ol days...

Perfect!! I still need to play through System Shock, myself.

39. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks for the feedback! Have you checked out the "Recreating DOOM's E1M1 Level" tutorial series? You can watch and learn as I recreate the entire level, from geo and textures to lighting and doors/elevators, and more. That's available over here:
    forum.unity3d.com/threads/237485-DOOM-quot-E1M1-quot-Level-Recreated-in-Style!-Webplayer-10-Part-Video-Tutorial

Heh, I find myself checking out buildings somedays, too...or most anything, if I've been staring at ProBuilder/3DS Max too long that day. Brain goes into "how do I model this?" mode :p

40. c-Row

c-Row

I did but some things still are a mystery to me. I haven't understood yet why sometimes vertices can be split, leaving me with two in the same place to further edit separately, when at other times it doesn't. What are the rules exactly?

Actually I remember that feeling from when I shortly dipped my virtual toes into modeling with Cheetah3D. Maybe I should give that another go since it's really great fun. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  41. yahodahan

yahodahan

You can only split a vertex, if it connects to more than one face.

If I may ask, what makes you split vertices? That's a very uncommon thing to do, except for fairly advanced/complex work, and even then there are usually better options. I could probably recommend a better way to do, er, what it is you are doing :)

42. c-Row

c-Row

I might be doing it wrong then, but sometimes I would prefer "extruding" a vertex from an existing plane to create another one rather then extrude the edge and collapse one of the unneeded vertices afterwards, though I guess the problem would be for ProBuilder to find out which edges to keep bridged. It's probably just me. :D I redid a small portion of the section I am working on right now and I already was a lot faster.

43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ah, I see! Well, another item there- it's generally considered "good form" not to create tris, but rather to create quads (4 sides). Of course, everything is "tris" to the engine in the end, but visually quads are much nicer.

However...I don't see a reason why we couldn't allow vertex "extrusion". Adding that to the "wish list" :)

44. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Here's my current WIP as a webplayer. Take a look. I'm using UFPS (1-6 are weapons). If you die, you only have 6 left. Still need to Lightmap and add lights.

- Translocator = Hit 6 on your keyboard.
    - All the teleporters work in the Red base. Nothing set up in the Blue base.
    - If you fall off the side, you will be teleported back where a health pickup is

Webplayer WIP

Not sure if I'm posting this correctly (not too familiar with Webplayers).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  45. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow, way to take the contest and push it up several notches! Translocater, teleports, and custom (epic) skybox- I am impressed :)

46. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

The Epic skybox is from the Asset Store. Free by the Hedgehog Team
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/3392

Also - everyone use Right Click to teleport via the translocator (weapon 6). I will add some GUI at some point if I have time.

47. Daniel466

Daniel466

could i try to recreate left 4 dead map

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

Left 4 Dead would be too recent, sorry- gotta by something made before 2000 :)

49. adamh1

adamh1

might give this a go and do a Quake level, trying to think of a level small enough though they are all quite big (and im quite lazy). is the deadline 31st april or 5th may? seems to be 2 different deadlines!

50. yahodahan

yahodahan

Awesome, good to have you!

May 7th, actually (as the poster says). Does it say May 5th somewhere? Erg.

Everytime I try to edit the post here on the forum, it deletes the entire thing. Ridiculous.

So, for all those interested:

Deadline Extended to May 7th!

(thanks Adamh1!)