Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Retro-Remake" Mapping Contest - Deadline April 31st

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahodahan, Apr 4, 2014.

1. adamh1

adamh1

ok :) just wondering im using pro builder and pro grids to make a level, is it okay to use someone elses textures? as im no texture artist!

2. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Yep, that's what I did.

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, you can use any textures at all :)

4. c-Row

c-Row

I think that happens when you have a non-standard character in your post somewhere.

5. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Here is my first WIP for the community!
    Hope you like hows going... still a long way to done but it has a nive shape for now.
    All texture are made by me with Substance designer
    $Tristan WIP!.JPG

6. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Zertrax! Thanks for sharing your WIP, great to see this coming along :) Even at the basic level, bringing back memories quickly...

About the other meshes- sorry, I'm keeping this one purely ProBuilder/Prototype geometry, to make sure it's fair to all. You should be able to create your own rocks very simply though.

Here is a really quick and dirty example- you could do much better! :)

...and don't forget to smooth it!

Again, that's just a 10-second rock, you could create a much better set of rocks, of course :)

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks c-Row, I'll check that out.

9. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Ha... its okay... i guess same for trees

10. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

probably wont enter... not enough time on my hands currently...
    but, lol...
    i could probably remake every little bit of Carentan from call of duty 2 (i know a bit newer) ... i played that level waay too much, and had wayy too much fun on it... really, i think call of duty sucks nowadays because that level isnt in it haha... .. best part was running on the little 2 inch trim of the buildings and hopping in the window at someone :)

11. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I can't figure out how to get smoothing to work

12. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

-Go to Texture selection
    -Double click on any face (make sure the full object is selected)
    -On the texture menu, select Smoothing and just press any number under "Smoth"

That should make you mesh smoth, also works for just a few edges...

13. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I made a small update adding teleport locations and some GUI. For translocator, right click after you fire to teleport.

CLICK TO PLAY
    $MainMenu.png

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hey everyone, WIP prizes are going UNCONTESTED twice now! Making me sad, ya hear?

Zertrax, on the other hand, will be quite happy- you are the winner of this weeks WIP mini-contest, and will receive any one of the ProCore tools, for free. Just let me know which you'd like, and it's yours.

Thanks for being brave enough to show your work early, I'm really hoping we'll start to see more in the coming weeks...remember everyone, deadline is extended till May 7th!

15. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

WUHUU, im happy to hear that, but a little sad cuz there is just 2 participants :( i was hoping someone could remake Fallout, it was hard to me to decide if Diablo or Fallout...

Yahodahan, i appreciate your kindness so, ProGrids i choose you! :B
    By the way, i have a lot of improvements for my scene to show, textures are still a bit raw so i will not show it... yet!

Also, custom characters are okay right... what about trees?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  16. yahodahan

yahodahan

Don't worry- there are others in the contest, they just haven't submitted WIP images to these weekly mini-contests, yet. I do believe someone is making a Fallout map, yes!

If you could send over an email (contact (at) procore3d.com), I'll get ProGrids right over to you- thanks again for participating!

17. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Great to know there is other participants!

a little soon but i want to show hows going my work... enjoy *.* $Tristan WIP!.JPG
    (right clic- open in new window----- to see it in detail!)

Im having troubles with my terrain material :( it dosnt cast shadows, so i had to bake some detail on textures

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  18. c-Row

c-Row

I didn't have as much time on my hands as I had hoped, but here are some WIP shots from mine.

I realized halfway through that my lightning is probably going to suck due to not having Unity Pro. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  19. softwizz

softwizz

Why is this in 'showcase'?

There is no completed work being shown here.

c-Row even says
    The whole thread is just a discussion between people entering the competition, seems to be just a promotional thread for probuilder.

Maybe it should be moved to 'Unity Gossip' or 'Works in Progress'.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  20. primus88

primus88

I disagree, because at it's foundation the thread is a showcase for the tools used in this competition.
    If there is a forum where this thread should be, it's this one.

21. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Been a while since I've done any level making. I could probably get something from Perfect Dark to work. No guarantee I can make textures that will look any better though.

22. korbul

korbul

Hello yahodahan,
    I'm thinking of giving it a shot and do the first level of one of my favorite games, Wolfenstein 3D.
    Hopefully I'll find some spare time :)

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi softwizz- For each of the "Mapping Contests", I've placed them in the "Showcase section since they evolve from WIP, to (exciting!) multi-user showcases. This way there is just one single thread for the entire contest, much less confusion/etc.

24. yahodahan

yahodahan

Nice work on those custom rocks! Trees will be tougher, but definitely doable. Keep at it! :D This will really look good with some dynamic lights/shadows, too.

Neat! I like the stairways going down "into" the ground, a dimension not often seen. Good, solid geo too!
    Maybe you can pick up a Pro trial on a second computer, to render out the final version on?

Yep, that too! :)

Perfect Dark- YES. Thanks for jumping in RockoDyne, looking forward to seeing your entry! :)

Wolfenstein would be a great choice. And so simple, there's no excuse not to try! :)

25. ShiftedClock

ShiftedClock

Hey, I'm going to try re-creating q2dm1 "The Edge" from Quake 2. I haven't used Prototype, but hopefully I'll be able to get comfortable with it quickly. Also, I need a copy of Prototype to use for this, if you would be so kind.

I'll probably use different textures. Frankly, the level is quite large, so I may not finish it in two weeks working at a casual pace, but I had to pick it since I spent so many damn hours in that space as a teenager. Thanks!

26. IrishDev

IrishDev

Attempting to re-create the medical level from System Shock2 but I think this could be challenge in itself:
    $Work_In_Progress.png

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi veven, thanks for joining the contest! Could you send me an email (contact (at) procore3d.com)? I'll send over a trial version of Prototype right away :)

Two weeks should be just enough time...maybe focus on a certain part of the level though, and make a certain door/doors un-openable?

28. yahodahan

yahodahan

Oh My, that looks complex! Looking forward to this one as well :)

(I still need to finish System Shock 2, shame on me...)

29. ShiftedClock

ShiftedClock

Hey, I emailed you with a few questions earlier, and you sent me the trial version already. Thanks!

Just working through some tutorial videos now. Are there any other videos you recommend besides the ones on http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/prototype/ ?

Also, can I use a texture pack made by someone else?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  30. yahodahan

yahodahan

Oops, I missed the connection :)

Have you gone through the full 'E1M1" series? That's really the best one:
    forum.unity3d.com/threads/237485-DOOM-quot-E1M1-quot-Level-Recreated-in-Style!-Webplayer-10-Part-Video-Tutorial

31. ShiftedClock

ShiftedClock

Oh wow, I totally missed that series. 10 parts!? That's awesome.

Also, can I use textures made by someone else?

32. yahodahan

yahodahan

I really need to add that to the site, heh.

Any textures at all are fine, yep :)

33. ShiftedClock

ShiftedClock

I've been searching all day and I can't find any images of the layout of Quake 2 or Quake 3 maps. Where did you find the one for Doom's E1M1?

34. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Theres nothing like a Layout over internet!
    you have to find your way, think about how to make it, i spend several hours making mine... good luck!

35. yahodahan

yahodahan

I think E1M1 is pretty famous, so I was able to found the layout right away, and many versions.

Just spent some time searching- wow, you are correct. Can't find any at all! Maybe you can load up the BSP file in an old engine, and get an even better measurement that way?

36. adamh1

adamh1

$quake1.png

WIP of my quake level.

37. AlejandroRiot

AlejandroRiot

Maybe it's a little late to join the party, but this competition sounds too great to ignore it. ;)

I want to recreate some little scene from the first Metal Gear Solid, from 1998. Maybe I can make it a first person version of the original game. You can play the PC version of the first one in full first person mode, so it doesn't seem so out of place.

I'm going to need to start playing this game again. :cool:

38. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great to see a Quake map!

Awesome to have you in- remember, deadline is May 7th (extended) :) Looking forward to your contest entry!

39. IrishDev

IrishDev

Second WIP screenshots
    $Work_In_Progress2.png $Work_In_Progress3.png

40. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

no lighting
    $PDLevel-00.png
    not enough lighting
    $PDLevel-01.png

I've got about two thirds of the outside area roughly sketched out. I have to admit, I'm getting a lot of quirkiness out of the lighting. I've noticed a lot of the point lights will often not cast themselves, well or at all, on geometry that's far away from from the center/pivot/root. I'm not sure yet whether baking will help or not.

41. yahodahan

yahodahan

Good to see more WIP posts starting to show up!

@RockoDyne- I think you might need to set your lights to "Important" instead of "Auto" or "Not Important". This will make them look better, but also have a higher performance hit. Might need to up the number of max pixel lights allowed, also.

Baking will certainly give you great lighting (best possible, in general), however it will be static of course- not affecting moving/dynamic objects. You can use Light Probes to "fake" dynamic effects in a relatively good way, though...

Ah, lighting. It is tricky, but ultimately the best part of game dev :)

42. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

That does seem to have helped. I haven't had to play with lighting much, so leave it to the noir level to tell me that I have to spend all my time learning proper lighting techniques. I'll probably experiment with baking, although I know there's going to be a voice in the back of my head saying "really? For a game that didn't originally have static lighting? From the n64? really?"

43. mavius

mavius

Too late to do a goldeneye facility remake?

44. yahodahan

yahodahan

Definitely not too late! You've got till May 7th :)

45. korbul

korbul

Hey guys, just posting 2 quick wip pictures

this one shows the overall progress of the map so far
    $WIP1.png

and this one shows reworked textures and tessellation
    $WIP2.png

Oh, forgot to say I'm making a fusion between DOOM (character) and Wolfenstein 3D (map). Hope I'm not breaking the rules.

46. mavius

mavius

How do I get prototype and quickgrids?

47. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sorry Mavius, missed your reply till now! You can just email me directly via "contact (at) procore3d.com"

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi all! I've been too busy to properly pick out weekly WIP winners, so EVERYONE who has posted ANY WIP image so far can send me an email and receive a full copy ProGrids, ProGroups, Prototype, QuickDecals, QuickEdit, or QuickBrush, for free, as thanks for participating so far :)

5 days left, I really hope to see this contest pick up the pace!

49. yahodahan

yahodahan

Naw, the rules are flexible, and that looks to be an interesting mash-up! :)

50. yahodahan

yahodahan