Search Unity

"Retro-Remake" Mapping Contest - Deadline April 31st

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yahodahan, Apr 4, 2014.

1. korbul

korbul

Hey guys,

I just finished my level. It's a crossover between doom and wolfenstein. The map is from wolf and it's the first level from episode I. The character is from doom, as well as the guns. It was fun using prototype, but as its name state, it should be used for prototyping. It did not fare well for advanced requirements that popped up during my time with it.

below is a link to the final webplayer version of my contest entry.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75658545/Wolfenstein%203Doom/web.html

Almost forgot:
    wasd or arrows for movement,
    mouse for looking around,
    space for opening doors,
    hold shift to sprint

2. GMM

GMM

Really cool work!

Very interesting remix you made there. Some of the movement felt a bit too floaty and the enemies seemed to kill me bit easier than what i remember, but overall that was pretty good.

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great work! That really brought back memories- I even found a few of the old secrets ;)

Movement was a bit funky for me too, but then I am on a laptop with just a touchpad, no mouse. I think pure arrow keys/WSAD might be better, and true to the original?

Either way, awesome to see this, and very well done! Could you send me a several screenshots (at 1280x720) as well? Thanks!

4. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

https://googledrive.com/host/0B-QjvO6Te-pvMHAxeWJNWmRWdnc/Chicago webbuild rc1.html

I will probably keep working on it today, but I don't think I will be making it any better. I will probably keep experimenting with lightmaps, although yesterday's results weren't too good. Between the heat and the file size, I don't know how long I'll last.

Oh, and there is a link to the soundtrack on bandcamp on the player page.

5. yahodahan

yahodahan

Very cool! Nice job using the "colorizing" to break up the level and make it look good without textures. And the music definitely "sets the mood" :)

For lightmapping, here are the base settings I usually use:

6. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Very nice the 2 projects up there! that doom style game is great but a little weird to move :p

I has been witout much time the last week :/ so there is my last update for the game... hope you like it!
    $diablo Screenshot1.JPG $diablo Screenshot2.JPG $diablo Screenshot3.JPG
    (its not optimized, could be pretty slow in some machines)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/126124318/Diablo/Diablo.html

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

This looks great, zertrax! My net is slow at the moment, waiting for the Webplayer to load, can't wait to try it... :)

Could you take several 1280x720 screenshots (preferably in-game, without the gizmo/etc) and send them to me? Thanks!

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Oof, that is running quite laggy. Do you mind sending me the project folder as well? This might be a good "case study" on how to optimize the scene well. I'm guessing the issue is just lots and lots of drawcalls due to the dynamic lighting.

Bringing back memories and lots of great detail inside the houses! :)

9. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Thanks yahodahan!

ill send it through mail :)

Yep there is nothing about optimization, i made most objects as low poly but that was not enought :p

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks! When I have time, I'll go through and super-optimize it and either video or written tutorial on it- should be a simple matter :)

11. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

no problem... haha im sure you will take that back, the scene is a complete mess!

12. korbul

korbul

It's funny how sudden the change is. The game runs so smooth when looking towards the edge of the map, but as soon as i point my camera towards the more than one house, it starts to lag :)

13. yahodahan

yahodahan

;) We'll see, eh? I have a fairly good idea of what can be done to tidy it up quickly. Plus, it'll be fun to work in and check out what you created!

14. IrishDev

IrishDev

15. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks IrishDev! Only one problem, can't get to the game via that link...did you upload the entire folder, including the data file? It often helps to rename the html file to "Index.html", also.

I know it's 4:30 am or something terrible over there, thanks for putting in the effort! :)

16. korbul

korbul

Hey IrishDev,

For unity webplayer to work on dropbox, you need to upload the output files of the build to the public folder of dropbox.

Cheers.

17. IrishDev

IrishDev

Hi All,
    I just uploaded the files to a new server: "http://salthill1000.freehostia.com/".

Please try this and let me know if you have any more issues

18. Glader

Glader

He just wasn't posting the public link which would have loaded it. Usually prefixed with dl.

19. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi IrishDev- that second link worked just fine, thanks :)

Nice work recreating the level! I remember that one well...it's as far as I ever made it, lol.

Could you send me a selection of screenshots, at 1280x720, to use for the judging? Thanks!

20. IrishDev

IrishDev

Hi Yahodahan,
    I send a number of screenshots to you :)

21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks for the screenshots IrishDev, and everyone else!

I'm putting together a complete post with all the final images, will post that tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned! :)

22. Cato_xyz

Cato_xyz

Looking forward to see what are you making, Yahodahan!

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

Whew, I've been hit from all sides with work, but finally managed to set up a final page for the contest! Check it out here:

http://www.protoolsforunity3d.com/project/retro-remake-mapping-contest/

Sorry, I know it's very basic, but here's the spoiler- everybody wins! :D

A big, sincere thanks to everyone for participating- I'l work harder to ensure the next contest is much more exciting! :)

24. korbul

korbul

Congratulations to all contestants. I had a lot of fun doing this. See you next time :)

25. c-Row

c-Row

If I didn't knew any better I would bet those SS2/Wolfenstein screens were taken from the original games. :) Very impressive.

26. hike1

hike1

Are there any downloadable levels? My bandwidth is puny for web players

27. IrishDev

IrishDev

Thanks for your comments.
    Personally I will only releasing a web player version of the level.

Additionally I had some time last week to finally update the level to the point where I had originally wanted.
    Some of the changes include textures updates, lighting changes and sounds.

Please have a look at the updated version at: "http://salthill1000.freehostia.com/" and provide your comments here

Hormic likes this.