Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sarah and The City of Dead

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesArndt, Apr 1, 2014.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I'm a one man shop working on a game right now called Sarah and The City of Dead. I've been busting my hump pumping out art assets. This handgun is the latest completed asset. I will eventually have to do some LODs for it, but this is the highest I'll need. It came in around 1,400 polygons and uses (3) 1024x1024 texture maps, CLR, NRM, SPC.

Some important links if the game is of interest to you.

Official Steam Page
    Official IndieDB Page
    Sarah and The City of Dead Official Website

Link to Youtube HD video turnaround:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  2. Cheburek

Cheburek

I think these zombies just want to hang out :)

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thats awesome. So Everplay could also be used as a tool to record gameplay footage to make game trailers and what not? I haven't checked it out yet myself but have been excited for it since it was announced and saw it on the asset store.

I think the recording looks great.

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well it's kinda awkward at the moment due to no rifle or firing animation. Will have to sort out the shooting mechanic. Also the ragdoll for dead zombies is using the one zombie model right now for testing. Each will properly spawn the appropriate ragdoll when I get it in.

http://everyplay.com/videos/4030832

5. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It's rough, but hey when on a two week schedule to get this game out of the door, things are rough at the start.

http://everyplay.com/videos/4048879

NOTE : In the final development stage will revisit her texture and make sure her clothing is more appropriate for her surroundings (i.e. post apocalyptic world). Right now she looks like she walked out of Old Navy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. SteveJ

SteveJ

That's looking pretty awesome. Nicely done!

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Thanks Steve. Hoping this will be a fun time killer on the mobile devices. Will be free to play with no IAP or anything like that, simple ad banner at the top during the pause screen.

Would like to ask a question. I was considering a mini-map in the corner, basically showing the locations for the enemy dudes. I thought in my reasoning this would give a sense to the player of what they have to deal with currently. Now I'm reconsidering the idea, as I kind of like that they can sneak up on you behind buildings. So my question, mini-map, bad or good idea?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  8. SteveJ

SteveJ

(ironically) I'm not really into playing mobile games, but this is definitely one that I'd try out based on what you have so far.

I guess the map question really depends on the overall goal in the game and the way in which the zombies spawn. If they spawn continually, from all directions, then the player can really just wander and the action will find THEM. If the zombies are pouring in from specific locations on the map, it might be a good idea to have some indication of where that is, so the player isn't wandering aimlessly looking for targets.

Possibly an alternative to a full blown mini-map would just be an on screen arrow that shows the direction of the largest/closest concentration of zombies.

Anyway - keen to see where you take this.

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Did a bit of Photoshop work today to get a placeholder logo in the game build menus. This is the result of an hour so of work.

10. jameos

jameos

awesome good job!

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Update on this project's transition. I'm very aware of the major issues right now in the game play. This video demo is a bit odd due to using a mouse to simulate the touch events.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  12. Hard target

Hard target

How about a big machete as a weapon.

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Updated the revision notes based on feedback:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Application icon for (Sarah and The City of The Dead) finished for now.

512x512_Icon.png

15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've got my organizational board up and running to set up sprints for this project. If you're using Trello feel free to send over any suggestions or critiques or even helpful resources in regards to game design for a zombie survival game.

https://trello.com/b/86waxCC8

16. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It's been a while, but development has resumed on this project. The project now targets a PC/Mac build via Steam. Here is a brand spanking new Facebook page devoted to development updates.

https://www.facebook.com/SarahandTheCityofDead

I've also put up a new web site dedicated to the game's development and marketing. It's a bit barren right now as I'm pushing to put some new designs together at the moment.

HOME - Sarah and The City of Dead

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Placed the first type of undead male character into the current Unity build. I already have a ton of animations for this guy and a female version. We just need to get some clothing modeled, UVed and textured.

18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Work in Progress: I've been working now for 3 days on the main protagonist "Sarah". Finished up her modeling and UVs on the first day. Day two consisted of laying down basic texture/color sections and starting to lay down some base patterning on those areas. Day three was bringing into Mudbox and sculpting some folds in clothing. I also used Mudbox to begin laying down some texture details in the skin and shirt. I have about another 2 days left on this character. I have to create a tactical sling/holsters for weapons.

Some cool new news: I've now teamed up with Michele G. for character designs.

joni-giuro likes this.
  19. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

So this is happening today. I am only one person, so some folks might debate the need for a GDD. I come from a studio background and that's just the way we worked, so I do what I know. This is about 4 pages of a 20 page document so far.

LeftyRighty likes this.
  20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Brand new M4 Carbine asset. Sarah will start the story with this weapon.
    Here are some preview images and below that is a video turnaround.

21. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015