Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Glitch in the System - 2D Twin Stick Shooter

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Darkays, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Darkays

Darkays

$Glitch In the System Banner.png

Hello everyone,

I finally made my first fully released game. Also this is my first foray with Unity 3D.

Glitch in the System is a 2D twin stick shooter.
    You came upon a top secret military base. While looking around you learn of sensitive Intel that could compromise the whole operation, but you are seen in the process. You escape to the entrance of the base but end up trapped and must fight off the waves of enemies.

You have become a Glitch in the System.

$Screenshot 1.png $Screenshot 2.png

You can buy it on Windows Store, Windows Phone, and Android here: http://tribe-games.com/games/glitch-in-the-system/

You can also try a demo of the game on the website

*Gamepad recommended

I am always looking for constructive criticism and comments. Leave them below and tell me what you think.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    XCO likes this.
  2. vito873

vito873

sick game,. music is catchy and the difficulty curve seems appropriate, could benefit from the addition of more power-ups and/or weapons...

3. Darkays

Darkays

Thank you for your comments,

If I were to add additional anything it would more than likely be more power-ups. That would allow more flexibility and the system is already implemented. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Darkays

Darkays

New Update Available!

You can play them here:
    http://tribe-games.com/games/glitch-in-the-system/

*I also updated the links in the main post.

Change Log v1.1
    •Increased the volume for hitting the enemy and getting hit
    •The “Press A to Start” now adapts to your control scheme; it will say “Click here to Start” if you are using a mouse.
    •Fixed typo in the controls pop up now it says “Left click” instead of “Right Click”
    •The game now saves your preferred settings for the Gamepad. Now if you start the game up it will automatically switch the controls for you.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  5. mouurusai

mouurusai

Hello! It's doesn't work with my gamepad (right stick). Maybe you should add input remapping ability, as i can remember you can take some free asset on asset store.

I love games of this type. Can you add some kind of guts, blood, maybe body parts? Im think Crimsonland fans will appreciate it)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  6. casperjeff

casperjeff

Gorgeous 'hand drawn' menu style.

If I could add any advice - it's the little things ...
    Add a scale (bigger) on your menu items when you click/press them - and have some sort of particle effect or something when hitting enemy.

7. Darkays

Darkays

@mouurusai: In the standalone version you should be able to reassign the right stick to whatever you want. Though I can see the problem with the Web Player as there is no option for that.Thanks for the heads up on the assets in the asset store I will definitely look into it and add support to change the controls in-game. Out of curiosity, what is kind of gamepad are you using?

As for adding blood, guts, and body parts, I'm not entirely sure it would fit the art style (especially the body parts...). It would seem out of place and just being there for the sake of being there. Plus your firing lasers at each other so I don't think limbs would fly apart, they would just burn (like in Star Wars).

@casperjeff: Thank you for the complement! I really appreciate it.

So you mean like an animation the makes it look like you pushed a button? That is a great idea I will look into adding that.
    I like the idea of a particle effect even if it was subtle. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you everyone for playing my game and the constructive criticism I truly do appreciate it. I will get to work on the new update, as well as my next "phase" of release. Stay tuned for more!

8. mouurusai

mouurusai

sl-6535-trd :mrgreen:

9. Darkays

Darkays

Ah, ok thanks mouurusai.

Quick update: Do you think you have what it takes to beat my highscore?
    $Highscore.PNG

10. _Nick

_Nick

Okay, I must say, I really like this! The music, graphics and everything is fantastic! I like this style of game play, I love the GUI "smoothness," I suppose that's the right word for it. The art is consistent and gives it a really nice feel. I like it quite a bit.

My only question: is it just in that same area, and more and more waves of enemies keep coming? I like it a lot! I was just curious if there was something else as you play more into the game or not. :)

11. Darkays

Darkays

Thank you so much for the complements! I appreciate them so much!

Yes, there is just that one stage. I wanted the shear amount of enemies to be the form of difficulty rather than a shift in stages, kind of like Geometry Wars where the stage doesn't change just the amount of enemies on the screen do.

12. clitorislove

clitorislove

Good menu style, nice tunes, i think you shouldn't stop improving this. i believe, with some motivation and focus, you can make something really good out of this. there has to be definetely some levels/achivements. I really like the way you lightened the characters surrounding. Would you tell me some tips about how to make sprites this cool and lighty?

13. Darkays

Darkays

Thanks for the comments,

I have been thinking about expanding the game to be a lot bigger than it already is but I think I will just polish what I have now hold off on really overhauling the game.
    The sprites were all lit with point lights in scene, I set their materials to Sprite/Diffuse so the lights would effect them. Then I lowered the ambient light down so the lights would stand out more. Finally, I positioned lights around the stage. As for how I made the sprites I used GIMP and drew them in there.

14. Darkays

Darkays

Hello everyone,

I have been hard at work on the second part of my release... Sadly, it isn't turning out the way that I want it to and I have been very busy this week so I have to delay it for awhile. I wish I could finish it soon but I'm just too busy this week.

Thank you everyone for trying out my game and giving me feedback I really do appreciate it.

15. WinRupe

WinRupe

Congrats on the game and good luck with the update process. I understand how it is to release a game and quickly see potential changes and fixes that could be implemented.

I truly believe this could be ported for mobile gameplay. Small, score-oriented games like this tend to do well. The controls would be easily matched with the dual-joystick control prefab found under the 'Standard Assets (Mobile)' import package. This would allow for a movement control, an aim control and tap response for firing. The package itself is written in JS but there's a version of the 'Joystick' script in C# found here: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Joystick

As for the game itself, the menu graphics and background music really draw you in. Not to mention, the game itself is quite exciting to play. I still haven't scored very high yet, but practice makes perfect.

16. Darkays

Darkays

Sorry for the delayed response,

Thank you for the comment, I actually made a pervious post about this very topic here: Twin Stick Shooter on a Touch Screen

To summarize the thread, I came to the conclusion of waiting to port my game to a touch screen until I figure out a better way of implementing the control scheme on touch screens. I agree with you that quick "pick up and play" style game work well on the platform, they just have to be tailored for the platform they are on. Though I do appreciate the link I will look into testing out further.

...and thank you for the compliments!

17. Darkays

Darkays

Glitch in the System v1.2 is now released

Check it out here: Glitch in the System v1.2
    *or the first post

Change Log v1.2
    •Fix controls pop up after you play one round
    •Added animations to the buttons
    •Added particle effects when something gets hit

18. Darkays

Darkays

I finally finished the next "phase" of the release. It is a commemorative time-lapse video.

Check it out:
    [video=youtube_share;Ml7bqr32jjo]http://youtu.be/Ml7bqr32jjo

19. Darkays

Darkays

Hello,

I have released my postmortem of the game! It details the development process that I underwent to make this game. It touches on some game design aspects that are in the game as well as diving into the art and music of the game. You can check it out here:

Glitch in the System - Postmortem

Thanks for all of the comments and for taking the time to play my game I really do appreciate it.

20. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Criticism ahead:
    ==================
    + Gamepad functionality without other adjustments is great.
    + The game works.

- It's not really a twin stick shooter since only analog movement is featured. There is no analog shooting.
    - Because of this, the player is at a total disadvantage. The enemy can shoot in any direction including diagonally, yet the player is unable to.
    - And because of that the player hardly stands a chance at all against the enemy. It's unfair and ultimately not fun.

21. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Cool stuff, and I only have two problems :p

But first I dig the art style, does have a cool hand drawn look to the main menu (like someone above said)...

Now for the problems, which are minor really...I think I see some Z fighting with the characters "shoot" particle (or however it was done, looked like particles) where it is blending into the ground just a little and has a hard edge... or maybe that has to do with my lappy's slow vid card who knows...

And second at player death, the enemies have to stop attacking the place where he was before he dies... cuz it looks a little silly :p

Other than that not bad at all, keep on tweakin it and it should turn out nice!

EDIT I take back my first problem, watching your video I see none of that happening, must be my old radeon 4250 really showing its age!

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  22. Darkays

Darkays

@ANTMAN0079

Thank you for the comment, you can aim with the other analog stick. Did you check the settings and select "Gamepad" enabled? It is off when you first play because most people don't actually have gamepads. I'm sorry you feel so negatively about the game in any case. I hope that fixes the issue and you can play it without any more problems.

@MD_Reptile

Thank you for the compliment! I really appreciate the sentiment.

I am working on making the game even more optimized so maybe that would get rid of the Z fighting. As for the enemies, I actually purposely left that in there because it sometimes makes interesting shapes. It also adds more interest while the "Game Over" screen is up. Though I do have to admit it does sometimes come off as silly.

Again, thank you all for you comments.

23. Darkays

Darkays

Hello everyone,

I have just released the official soundtrack to Glitch in the System. You can check it out here:

Glitch in the System Soundtrack

Check it out and let me know what you think!

24. Darkays

Darkays

25. Darkays

Darkays

26. Darkays

Darkays

27. Darkays

Darkays

28. Darkays

Darkays

I have written an extended postmortem talking about how I went about porting my game over to mobile and putting it on the various stores. You can read it here: http://tribe-games.com/2014/10/23/the-gift-that-keeps-on-giving/

And in case you missed the first postmortem where I talk about the actual game development process and the reasons why I even started working on this game check that out here: http://tribe-games.com/2014/05/09/glitch-in-the-system-postmortem/

It has been a wild ride but I think I am ready to leave this project alone (at least for now). I hope that you guys enjoy playing the game! Even though I am stepping back from work on this game I am always looking for more comments and criticisms so if you do have any feel free to leave it here!

Thanks everyone for their support and I will see you around the community and in my next project!