Search Unity

Unity Goat support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Mar 30, 2014.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

CharlieSamways likes this.
  2. Dabeh

Dabeh

For years I have been wanting goat support, Unity just doesn't seem complete without it.

Might I suggest the pygmy goat as a reference for Unity, it's a very high standard but I'm sure they can handle it.
    $600px-Hausziege_04.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. saymoo

saymoo

V o t e d! :D

Attached Files:

4. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

11/10 would vote again.

$tumblr_lihr95pkmd1qh5di4o1_400.jpg

5. Dantus

Dantus

I can only support that if it is an optional addon. I don't want a stinky Unity. And the goat may bloat Unity.

6. lmbarns

lmbarns

I've been using goats in unity for years... :D

7. kaiyum

kaiyum

In our country, goat means a lot of things. What does it mean here, really??!!!:confused::confused::confused:

8. Whippets

Whippets

In order to complete with other engines, it is important for Unity to stay ahead of the game. The serious lack of goat support is not helping Unity maintain it's leading role in the engine market.

More important than the GUI, or rewritten terrain system; goat support is the one thing Unity should be concentrating all their efforts on.

9. opsive

opsive

Just imagine the games that you'll be able to create with goat..

10. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

What? You guys are talking about actual goats? Totally confused.

11. saymoo

saymoo

We are talking about Capra aegagrus (hircus) support in Unity. (did i confuse you more? :D)

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Goats are kind of last-gen, though, yes? It's better to skip them and move directly to ibexes, which are the future. No point wasting effort on dated goat technology.

--Eric

13. Cogent

Cogent

Attached Files:

14. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

I'm don't think I've been this confused in a long time. It's not April fools yet so....:confused:

15. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Goats could easily turn into another Emu episode. Emu steaks. Emu farms. Shiny!

16. kaiyum

kaiyum

I have heard, this was made by unity.

17. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

This was made with Unreal Engine I believe. If Unity wants to compete in the goat gaming space, they're going to have to step up their game!

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I know people might be suggest alternatives to goat, but all things begin with goat support, and possibly unity adopting or sponsoring a goat. This is something of a forward-thinking-diagonal-notioning-upward-seeking concept.

19. Cogent

Cogent

I'm not quite sure Hippo, I respect your opinion but the threading model might be better for Alpacas.

I mean, seriously, your going to sit here and tell me Goats are thread safe??

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

And this isn't an April 1st thing. It's much more serious than that.

21. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I've shipped goats on multiple platforms in the past. It's a pain. They get seasick and often the platforms are wobbly. Unity could really make my life easier if it supported goats right out of the box, when they're at their most enraged, because they were being kept in a box.

22. cannon

cannon

Is there a way to vote for simulator support, for those of us on laptops who need to develop on the goat^H^H^H^H go?

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

What in the f*ck!!!! i completely lost here .... \O.O/

24. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

... goat^H^H?

I optimized your expression.

25. ZJP

ZJP

I'm alone so poor Goat......The road will be long. Where is the Unity. :D

26. Cogent

Cogent

I am not at liberty to divulge my sources but judging by this screenshot it may already be in the works... Shh!

27. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I think I have an answer for you guys.

Introducing our newest product, Thinkgoat.

We've been hard at work at getting this to you.

Features include:
    • Realtime, GPU accelerated goat simulation using a custom GOATS (Goat-oriented active time solver)
    • A full goat designer interface for creating your own tailored goat simulations
    • Procedural bah and hoof sounds
    • Support hundreds of goats in the scene at once
    • Goat hair simulation (including beards)
    • Visual goat scripting interface - no programming required
    • Goat collision solver for both 3D and 2D physics
    • Works on mobile, even the first generation iPhone
    • Unity 5 ready with physically-based goat shading
    • "Build Goat MMO" button with instant goat networking, goat combat and inventory system, and goat quests

We will be releasing this on Tuesday - I can't wait to let you guys try out the next generation of goat simulation technology.

28. shaderop

shaderop

Goal-Oriented Application Toolkit. It's popular in the CAML (Categorical Abstract Machine Language) programming community, and was originally publicized by Andrew Zimmerman, who often described it as "rather gamy, but in a good way."

29. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

It's 2014. We no longer need to make do with fake goats. We finally have the power and resources to do goats... for real.

30. ZJP

ZJP

Ooops. My bad!!!

31. shaderop

shaderop

That's hardcore. And very disturbing.

32. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Unfortunately, Baaamarin owns the rights to Goat, so Unity is still stuck using a really old goat that is surprisingly bad at eating garbage.

33. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

ftfy

34. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hahahah! I see what you did there.

35. Demigiant

Demigiant

I don't like the GOAT approach very much, because in more advanced projects it usually forces you to jump through loopholes multiple times. Still, it's true that in some rare cases it can deal incredibly well with hierarchy trees and even branches, but those are just heuristics.

36. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

37. freute

freute

wow, there is growing fans of goat, it's like gang or something, I hope you get what you whish for guys, it's not that hard after all it's only a goat right...
    one goat coming this way please..:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  38. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Hey Hippo,

Whilst I appreciate this is a joke, it frustrates me no end to see people wasting good votes on something so frivolous in the feedback system. Its hard enough to get UT to consider and invest in feature requests and even harder for basic userability improvements that would improve the lives of all developers, that wasting votes or spamming with nonsensical feedback just compounds the issue.

Besides don't you know that goats are just a fad, it will be back to birds next week.

Edit:

Just to be clear, a good part of where my reply comes from is the frustration that feedback just seems to be a massive blackhole to me. Sure a few of the most popular voted stuff gets implemented (in one way or another) but more often than not these are things that would have happened anyway and Unity didn't need to be informed about them.

Thats why I think the feedback section is just a fail. There are many great suggestions in there for usability improvements to full on features that seem to be ignored regardless of the votes they get. At this point a Unity rep normally steps in and says, 'oh we read them all you know and pass them on', trouble is apart from the aforementioned big ticket items very little if anything else gets done.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  39. lazygunn

lazygunn

Sorry, without goat simulation features,unity will be just.. useless to everyone

Wake up Unity, wake up now, if you dont goat, you will be goated

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

And would Unity include a goat system just for this? i think not! worry not noisecrime

41. c-Row

c-Row

That clearly is an opportunity Unity needs to grab by the horns.

42. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

You sir, are a genius

43. darkhog

darkhog

You talk about goats, alpacas... I say LLAMAS are future (Lovely Linux Advanced Motion/Animation System).

44. cannon

cannon

@turkeypotpie

Thanks, though I expect proper autocomplete once goat ships.

@rea

Goat is like GNU, except it can be installed practically everywhere, requiring the barest of resources to run, climb etc.

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi noisecrime,

I agree with you regarding wasting votes, but votes are easily moved from topic to topic, so people are able to change their minds. This thread was discussed in the unity moderation channel first and was a little light hearted fun to bring the community mood back up again. Apologies and it won't happen again :)

I think it's probably the lack of a perfect system that's the real problem - how can the feedback system be improved? For every sane request, there will be thousands of votes for an insane request.

So the feedback system is probably as good as it gets - and in the end someone in management has to make a decision.

46. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Look, everyone needs to calm down with all this crying for goat support mess. One of the main reasons I was attracted to Unity in the first place was the fact that it did NOT support goats. If Unity 5 comes around and suddenly we have goats I will almost certainly start looking elsewhere..which is very unfortunate since I've already committed a lot of time to learning (what I think) is a very good goat-free game engine.

Why do I dislike having goats involved with a game engine? Well the reasons are many, but top of my list are those creepy horizontal pupils they have and the insane display aspect ratios you have to use. Who the hell has a monitor that supports 10:1?

47. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

Then suddenly, a wild pangolin appears!

$8849743-pangolin.jpg

48. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Nothing baa-d.

49. Demigiant

Demigiant

I can already see an "Is the new Goat out yet dot com" mess happening. Probably this feature was suggested too soon.

50. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Photographic evidence that the answer is a 'yes'.