Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

COUP D'ETAT Jagged Alliance Style Game in Progress!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Danirey, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Danirey

Danirey

Hi everyone!

Here is the actual state of the game i'm working on.

I update it as often as i can but things are going very well.

Please, let me know what you think about it.

Cheers!

ADDED : HERE ARE ALL THE VIDEOS!(SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEARCH ALL THE THREAD)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. Danirey

Danirey

Right now i'm working on :

Selection and movement of player soldiers.
    Basic hud (Not so complex because unity newGUI is coming soon)
    Bullet Behaviour: Mimic the Jagged Alliance 2 bullets + penetration factor, wich means that bullets can go through walls or enemies.
    Basic Impact FX handling : Wood, metal, concrete, stone , dirt and BLOOD!!!!!
    Body impact zones. You will be able to aim to the enemy's head, torso or legs. But if hit the heart, will make a bonus damage. If hit the arm, will drop the gun. Etc
    Breackable walls on explosions. (But not like JA2, i mean a more realistic ones!
    AP's: Each soldier has x Action Points to use every turn. Reloading, shooting, moving, and changing poses, will cost an amount of points.

EDIT:
    In the video you can see a real time preview only. Selection of multiple soldiers(Not a t the same time) and moving each one. A basic bullet range effect(When exceed the range of the gun that shot, the bullet goes to the floor) and the in-out impact on the enemy.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  3. Danirey

Danirey

Hi again!

I'm thinking that it would be fair to mention the assets used in the game. Almost everything i use comes from the asset store, so here we go:

Characters, trees, and other stuff from : Vertigo games Extreme Packs-- Here
    Textures from : Nobiax -- Here
    Character animations: from Gear Worx Productions--Here
    Path Drawing : From Starscene software --Here
    Shaders from : ABBAS --Here
    Pistol model from VR --Here
    Energy bars from Mad Pixel Machine --Here
    Buildings from : Aureusinteractive Modern modular asset--Here
    Ragdoll system: The Arc Game Studio --- here

I think that there are all there.

Without all these stuff and the forums support i couldn't TRY to make this game, so Thnaks(Even paying for some of them ;) )

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. genail

genail

Looking great! Thank you for putting me into the credits ;-)

I can't wait to see more!

5. Danirey

Danirey

Thank you for make this awesome bars! ;) . Soon, i'll post a new video with more features, like ragdoll testing and some damage effect to see the bars in action.

Cheers!

6. Danirey

Danirey

Hi again,

In the next video i'll show how different weapons will shoot. More bullet penetration examples. Ragdoll enemies. Energy bars working and maybe some explosions.

Cheers!

7. Danirey

Danirey

Here we go with the next little step. Ragdoll and blood Splatters.

Enjoy! ;)

[video=youtube_share;KsnbBlSQCow]http://youtu.be/KsnbBlSQCow

8. jRocket

jRocket

Awesome so far! I love Jagged Alliance.

9. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

10. ZJP

ZJP

It's funny because one of the projects that I wanted to do years ago with Unity is a Jagged Alliance clone. No time for that.
    Sincerely good lucks with your project. :D

11. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks! I'll try to finish it ;)

If anyone have some advice or suggestion, please, go ahead and post it!

Cheers!

12. Danirey

Danirey

Hi!! ;)

Here we have a few shots with enemy damage info and updated life bars. And a explosion with damage and force applied based on distance from the explosion center.

Cheers!

EDIT: Better video now, showing the different damage based on distance.

[video=youtube_share;XuW-EIfsZNk]http://youtu.be/XuW-EIfsZNk

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  13. Danirey

Danirey

And the last one for today!

Now you only see an enemy when a playable character see one. In this video the players range of view is very short to see the effect. As soon as the enemy is in range it becomes visible. But if it isn't, you can hurt him. So if you have an explosive barrel, it is always better to blow it up just in case.. ;)

Cheers!

[video=youtube_share;NeBs-YtjJ-w]http://youtu.be/NeBs-YtjJ-w

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. Danirey

Danirey

Hi People!!!!

More destruction!!!!! This time breakable walls. This video shows how the barrel explosion affects the walls based on distance and power. The same thing happends with the enemies damage.

[video=youtube_share;SRe8FBqpdOc]http://youtu.be/SRe8FBqpdOc

And the bullet reaction on impact with Concrete, Wood and Metal!

[video=youtube_share;qH3oVrEfIeM]http://youtu.be/qH3oVrEfIeM

I'll try to show in the next video a first approach to the aiming system and some turn handling(I'm thinking on how to stop every process and how to go one process at a time when it is in turn mode!)

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  15. Danirey

Danirey

Here we go again!

Some little fixes in the bullet behaviour. Better ragdoll with explosions and hits!. And a bit more of blood!!

The walls now react better too with the explosion forces!

[video=youtube_share;qLMPcgF8AOA]http://youtu.be/qLMPcgF8AOA

Cheers!

16. Danirey

Danirey

Hi !!!! ;)

Another video showing an AK47 auto shooiting. Added Bullet impact holes.

[video=youtube_share;2xL3muUFkjA]http://youtu.be/2xL3muUFkjA

and Updated Explosions! Now with shockwave effect!

[video=youtube_share;9F9dZIZpPJg]http://youtu.be/9F9dZIZpPJg

Cheers!

17. HugoPeters

HugoPeters

Was always a real big fan of Jagged Alliance so i'm really looking forward to this one. Looks really cool

18. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks! I think it is going pretty well too. Thanks for your interest !

More videos soon!:)

Cheers!

19. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there!

Here we go with another update. This is a little preview of the aiming system. Yo can choose the head, the torso, the arms, and the legs to aim to. Of course, the bullet direction is based on the player's accuracy attribute. If you aim to the chest with a 100% of accuracy, the bullet will hit the heart and apply more damage to the enemy. And if the player's accuracy is, let's say, 80%, the bullet can miss the objective, or hit any other part of the enemy that could be in his way. Arms, Shoulders, Neck, Head, Legs and even "OTHER" parts, (You know what i mean ;)) Every part has his own damage factor, so it is more painfull for the enemy if he is hitted in the heart than in the arm.

[video=youtube_share;kc7M-bPAmmc]http://youtu.be/kc7M-bPAmmc

I'll make another more longer video showwing the different parts and damages. ;)

Cheers!

20. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys!

I'm having some issues with the aiming system, but it is almost done. In the next update video, i'll show you the full aiming system, and the AP's handling system in action. I'll add more animation states and the finish touches to the movement in general. Now if the enemy is behind an object and the players can't see it, the enemy remains invisible. And the last thing is the buildings roofs. That will fade to transparent when the camera is near and the inverse when is far away.

Cheers!

21. khelegond

khelegond

Loved Jagged Alliance, and I'm loving the look and feel of your game. Can I add a little bit ot criticism? When you shoot the barrel near the wall, the wall just crumbles. The debris should fly inward, in my humble opinion - with the force of the explosion.

Cheers,
    Khelegond

22. Danirey

Danirey

Hi Khelegond , thanks for your words.

This is the purpose of the thread. Other opinions are allways welcome! ;)

You are right! The wall chunks doesn't fall very reallistic. I've planed to improve all, from the look of the explosion, to the forces involved. But first i like to finish more important things, like actions movements shooting and so on. And enemy AI of course.

Thanks and cheers!

23. 8BitsAreAByte

8BitsAreAByte

This is awesome. Please keep on the good work!

I really wish for a game like that. :)

24. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks 8BitsAreAByte! I will! ;)

25. treshold

treshold

Promising work, another fan of Jagged Alliance here :D it's also great that you have listed assets which you have used :)

26. Danirey

Danirey

I'm glad you like it! Thanks!

27. Cherno

Cherno

Hello! I just found this thread. I think you have a very nice project going there, looks already quite polished graphically even if it is using lots of asset store... assets :)

I started my own Jagged Alliance 2-inspired project a few months ago, although this one has a 1920s Cthulhu Mythos setting. Is closely mirrors the original JA2 gameplay, with grid-based movement and real-time action until an enemy is seen and comabt is initiated. Maybe we can discuss various topics on developing such a game, or share scripts. My game so far features:

1. Pathfinding, walking and running
    2. mutliple investigators in the player party
    3. complete inventory system with picking up dropping, item stacks, diffenrently sized inventory slots, weapon reloading / "deloading", weapon attachments, and more
    4. ranged weapons, melee weapons, unarmed attacks, thrown weapons (dynamite stick), different weapon firing modes, how many bullets to shoot/how many APs to spend on aim
    5. indicators for weapon range, throwing arc etc.
    6. Gridgraph runtime updating when doors are opened and similar
    7. hiding enemies and items that are out of sight
    8. hiding all objects that are above the current view level (as in the old X-Com games)
    9. environment interaction such as doors and item containers
    and more.

Does your game support different character weapons so far? I mean the weapon model that is seen in a character's hand, does it change according to his equipped weapon, and if yes, how are attack animations for different weapons handled?

Edit Oh and btw, if you want to take a look, here is the development-sort-of thread for my game, called "Demoniak": http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/27110-demoniak/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  28. Danirey

Danirey

Hi Cherno,

I'm only a guy that spends a few minutes per day after work in the creation/learning of this game. I'm not a pro so i have to learn a lot of things as i need something. I don't think that my scripts or anything could be used in other games because i'm sure that they will have to be modified a lot. It will be less painfull to make a new script from zero. Anyway, i have no problem to help you or show you any script you could find usefull and explain it.

My game will have some features you have mentioned. It is not grid based. I use the unity navigation system. In the next video, i will show how the soldiers swap weapons with holster and drawing animations. Every weapon will be real and visible in the hands of the players.. Now i have 25 but will be o er 80 weapons of the real world with standar attachements. But i'm working in the attachement system. The inventory is in process too, but is for testing only., because i want to use the new unity gui. As you. Can see, a lot of things are unfinished and unfortunately i have not too much time to get things done faster, but i'm on it. I also have the detection system to unhide/hide enemies if any player solidier see them. The Ap system is almost done, and i'm finishing the aiming system. You can shoot at any body part and each one will react and make different damages. The bullet behaviour iis finished unless i find any problem usi g it later. It can go trough diferent materials and drop down to the floor when go beyond the efective range..

The environment is everithing done with the unity terrain creator and some asset store textures and assets. So anyone can make it.

I'll take a look at your game in a moment.

Cheers!

29. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

Here we are with a new update. I've been busy lately, but finally i've made some progress.

Now the AP's system (For the aiming and shooting part) is done. For each body part, the AP cost is different based on the dificulty of the shot. For the head will cost more than the arms or legs and those will cost more than the torso. For each weapon, the cost is customized, and have a single shot base cost, a burst base cost and a reload cost.

For the aiming system, i'm using IK to aiming and randomizing the hit point based on the accuracy of the character. I have to polish some things, but it works pretty well. You can aim at the head, the legs, the arms, and the torso. Obviously, it considers the distance to the target, the range of the weapon(trough the bullet), penetration, damage, etc...

And the enemies have a lot of customized points to get extra damage or painfull things( like bleeding burst over the time, causing him a damage trough several turns). You cant aim exactly at these parts, but if you aim to the torso and the bullet hits the heart, it will have an extra damage. If aim to the head and the bullet hits the neck, the enemy will haf a standar damage, but it will lose blood(and life) over several turns, and eventualy die!

A lot of thing have to be tweaked and fixed, but it is going forward! ;)

[video=youtube_share;DEbQNbP1t8g]http://youtu.be/DEbQNbP1t8g

Cheers!

30. GoCatGoGamesLLC

GoCatGoGamesLLC

This is looking fantastic -- keep up the great work! I subscribed on YouTube and will watch this thread as well.

JA2/Silent Storm/XCOM:TftD are my top three favorite games, and this is looking very similar mechanically to those. Love, love, love!

Best wishes and good luck!

31. Danirey

Danirey

Hi GoCatGoGamesLLC,

The three best games ever in my opinion too. ;)

Thanks, i'm trying to include all the features that make them cool games.

Cheers

32. mudibushnaq

mudibushnaq

call of duty getting shot sound effect

33. Antonio LR

Antonio LR

This looks great!

Will follow this thread weekly, please continue updating!

Cheers!

34. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

I don't know. Maybe! :)

Cheers

35. Danirey

Danirey

Thank you!! I will! ;)

36. Cherno

Cherno

Are you using Unity Pro? How did you implement the IK?

37. Danirey

Danirey

No! Unity free. The ik comes from Pärtel lang's Final IK. (In the asset store).

It worth the money in my opinion!

Cheers!

38. Danirey

Danirey

Hi guys!

A quick little update and fun!!! ;)

SVD-Dragunov range sniper shot in the head with slow motion and "HEAD OFF" explosion :)

[video=youtube_share;tw2iPCr0oLw]http://youtu.be/tw2iPCr0oLw

Cheers!

39. ZJP

ZJP

Flawless victory... :D

40. Danirey

Danirey

lol ;) Exactly!

41. GoCatGoGamesLLC

GoCatGoGamesLLC

He was only two weeks away from retirement. :(

42. Danirey

Danirey

Ok, finally i've found a way to solve some issues in my scripts and i don't have go go back and start again!!:(

So , now the check for states in the character seems to work. The AP's system works fine too, and only works when you are in the turn based mode. In real time, you can walk shoot and do things with no cost ;). In turn based mode, the walk cost is 1 AP per unit of distance. Later will have some modificators that will increase that cost, like when injured or something.

The body part hit system now have an extra factor that calculates the probability of make a critical hit. So with some weapons you will have a more probabilities of blow up the head of the enemy.

And almost done:
    If the actual weapon has a sight attached, it will inprove the acuracy when shot with that weapon.
    Picking up weapons and adding them to the inventory.
    Ammunition system!

Video update soon!

Cheers!

43. Danirey

Danirey

:D

He was a good man!!

I'll add some phrases line that when a enemy dies with a critical shot!

Thanks for the tip! ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  44. Danirey

Danirey

Hi !!!! ;)

Finally a new update.

This video shows a basic inventory system. You can pick up objects( can't do the inverse yet, but will soon) and will place each one in the correct slot(big guns and small guns in big and small slots) if there are any slot empty. A window will appear when you select a weapon to show the specs of the weapon. And the attachments if something is installed. Now i only have a silencer and an ACOG sight. The silencer only plays the silencer shot audio, but it will affect to the enemies perception and damage of the bullet. The sight (will have 5 different to attach), increases the players accuracy when uses a weapon with the sight attached. I will add drag and drop to the inventory to be able to install the attachments to the weapons.

I've updated the AP's system to only work if it is turn based. And if you move the cursor to a position that requires more AP's than the total you have, the path will disappear.

Hope you like it!
    Now i'm quite busy at work, so i don't have much time to play with this. :( Sorry. But i'll keep updating as often as i can.

[video=youtube_share;ZZ9WKYlptj0]http://youtu.be/ZZ9WKYlptj0

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  45. Danirey

Danirey

Hi again!

A few modifications to the last update!

Pick up and drop weapons from inventory. Animation for pick up added. In the equiped weapon window now you can select burst or single shot for the weapons that can burst, and a button for reload!(in the video, when reloading a bullet goes away and it is not supposed to do that, but .... i'll fix that) ;)

[video=youtube_share;jR1hvLRc4Kc]http://youtu.be/jR1hvLRc4Kc

Cheers!

46. Danirey

Danirey

Hi!

Here we go again. I know i'm a bit stacked over the same things lately, but as soon as i finish something, another thing has to be fixed somewere ;).
    So, here we go, I've fixed a little problem with the ragdoll and the force applied by the bullet. Now works fine! And the APs counting MATHS( :() for the path and the burst mode. I'm collecting info of all the weapons i'll include, to make them shoot as real as posible.(in game terms :))
    I'm learning how NGUI works to move to it and make the UI a little more "UI".(Since i don't want to wait months until the new unity UI arrives).
    And i'm learning some AI too to bring to life my enemies, and make the game a little more fun.

WEAPONS!!!!!!!!
    Each weapon (Now i've set up 13 models) has "ALMOST" real stats, like effective range(adapted to the game world metric system), rate of fire(This is working, but in a turn based game is irrelevant at all i think, but looks great! ;)), dispersion in burst mode, and so on....
    Each has his own ammo type(Not implemented yet), so you will have to gather all ammo from the world to shoot with all weapons!
    And a particular AP cost for SHOT BURST and RELOAD.

By now, i've the following weapons done and shooting:

Walther P38
    Walther P22
    Makarov
    MAC-11
    UZI
    BERETTA M12
    Skorpion VZ61
    AK47
    M4A1
    G36C
    SKS
    RPK
    SVD DRAGUNOV

and three attachments:

ACOG Sight
    Standar Silencer(For almos every weapon)
    MAC 11 Silencer(A custom made for this weapon)

I've a bunch of WWII weapons i don't know if include. Like Thompson, MP40, MP41, etc...

Soon i'll add over 60 weapons more, including rocket launchers grenades and a lot of modern day weapons(More pistols, SMGs, MGs like SAW, Sniper rifles like Barret, SHotguns like USAS 15,.....)

I mean A LOT OF WEAPONS!

Maybe some people is already bored to see almost the same "shoot to still enemies" videos, but in this one i show you the new weapons and how some of them work.(Shooting to still enemies ;))

Cheers and thanks for watching this! :)

[video=youtube_share;ryZ6OMI13T8]http://youtu.be/ryZ6OMI13T8
    [video=youtube_share;huCSV-mAUXI]http://youtu.be/huCSV-mAUXI

47. Danirey

Danirey

HI!!

New Thing! Now we have shotguns!!!! :D

AA12 added to the armory! It will be "Roaring" in the next video. (multiple bullets per shot, and Burst mode added)

Reworking the UI, because using OnGUI i'll kill myself soon!

Behaviour trees to the rescue! I'm fighting with the enemies AI too. Soon they will do "Something".

Cheers!

48. Danirey

Danirey

And here is the first Shotgun test, while i fix other issues, and remake the UI!

EDITED: Posted a new video withe the final update of the shotgun. Each bullet of the shotgun has a slightly different speed. Now it looks a lot better.

[video=youtube_share;3qTMqMvivyQ]http://youtu.be/3qTMqMvivyQ

Enjoy! ;)

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  49. Cherno

Cherno

Nice to see your updates.

I have started to look into saving and loading games. I have tried Unity Serializer, and after a lot of work customizing it to suit my needs, I have come to the conclusion that I will have to write my own serialization scripts. The US just hasa ton of crippling bugs and isn'T supported anymore so they will perists. I hope you have less trouble than me in implementing such a feature!

50. Danirey

Danirey

Hi Cherno,

I've take a look to the serialization process, but mi brain simply explode a couple of minutes after start… ;)
    I know there is a free plugin that seems to work fine, but i didn't try yet. I'll make something playable before start with that.(This is more fun! :D)

Take a look here!

Hope it help's.

Cheers!