Search Unity

Paradox - a time travel game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by noahg1, Mar 23, 2014.

1. noahg1

noahg1

Paradox is a time travel based puzzle game. The purpose is to complete levels by working with past instances of yourself in order to try and make it to the teleporter at the end end of each level.

This is an on going project, I am searching any suggestions or improvements which would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for ways to make the game more engaging, fun, and improve the over all experience.

I am also taking level ideas, if you have one feel free to post below, with the title of the level you want.

$opening.png

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. noahg1

noahg1

I am currently working on adding a level designer, so players can create and submit their own levels. However, since unity has blocked access to some of the libraries I had intended on using, I looking at new ways of submitting the levels.

Currently, the best option seems to be to use Unity Serializer and submit a string in using a WWWForm Post.

3. noahg1

noahg1

I added a scroll bar for the levels so that each option is not just hovering there awkwardly. I have also made another level, and will upload when I have finished a second new level.

$levelSelect.PNG

4. noahg1

noahg1

I added pictures to improve the clarity of the How to Play instructions tab. I am also considering making a tutorial level to walk the user through the game play.

$newHowTo.PNG

5. noahg1

noahg1

I recently updated NGUI, a package I purchased from the asset store when I first started out with unity and I was learning about GUIs. I used it make all the GUI systems in Paradox, however, a lot has changed since I last updated which results in having to redo the entire GUI system of the game. This will take a fair amount of time to redo, as well, I am considering changing the look. I will have to hold off on level which allows users to create their own levels for now, until I have the new GUI up and running.

6. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

Ironically, I was working (for a few months here and there) on the engine for a game called "Paradox Thief", where you have to collect treasures and solve puzzles that involve you sending yourself back in time 10 seconds, except that you can't do anything that would cause a paradox (such as your past self seeing yourself). I was having some trouble with getting the 'playback' to sync properly (it was syncing, but not triggering things correctly like door switches and floor panels). Either way, I guess I'll have to shelf the idea for the time being...

7. noahg1

noahg1

was it a 2D or 3D game?

how where you sending the player back in time? as in how were you doing the playback?

8. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

I'm sure there are more efficient ways to do it than the way I did it. I was keeping a queue of 500 Transforms, which kept track of the player's last 500 positions (updated every FixedUpdate). When you jumped back, it would move a copy player object that would be repositioned every FixedUpdate to a successive position on the queue. This only allowed for one jump back, which is all I had planned for. I couldn't get it to trigger switches reliably though.

I could put up a webplayer, but it's extremely unfinished.

9. noahg1

noahg1

So I did it slightly differently. I also stored an array of positions of the player as it moved. However, I used a co-routine to store the position every chosen time, which I think is 0.05 seconds. Then instantiated an clone of the player and moved it every 0.05 seconds to the next point. I used time so that I could minimize the number of points until the movement would no longer seem smooth, then decrease the time interval again.

The clone had a collider attached to it and all the objects the it triggered would treat the object as though it were a player.

I hope that's clear. let me know if u need clarification or need help :)

10. noahg1

noahg1

So I haven't posted about any updates in a while and the new version has a lot of updates:
    • New GUI
    • Level Designer
    • new textures/level design

There will be an entirely new GUI being released with the new version which is much more aesthetically pleasing I hope and has a much cleaner look.

The new level designer allows users to build levels through my in-game level builder. The can then save the level, and any player can access the level from level selection

All the textures have been redone. The old design was a bit old, the new design is much darker, i am attempting to follow a tron like ambiance, but it is not there yet.

Images coming soon.