Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Mar 20, 2014.

1. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Well just pre ordered the v5.0. For sure it looks great. But when will it be released???

I pre ordered v4.0 back in end July 2012 and it was released in mid November 2012. So slightly less than 4 months to wait. Here i see a lot of threads and information rather official from the unity team talking about a 4.6 (with the new GUI) version coming in early summer: means in 4 months. So, what to expect about all this?? V5.0 coming right after 4.6?? Unity team, any more info on the release date??
    Thanks

2. TheDMan

TheDMan

One of the UT team said 4.6 will be released sometime in the summer. So add another 4 to 9 months after that ... possibly more.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

5.0 releasing doesn't mean they can't back-support 4.x. They said they would until at least the end of the year and 5.0 was supposed to be "a couple of months or so" out.

4. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Well, an appoximate release date coming from unity team directly would be nice... here it's just guess from users. For the money we put in, a possible date would be nice (month). Unity do you copy??

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Expecting a release date from Unity more than a week before release is like expecting your dog to speak fluent french.

6. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I'm not able to give you a date, or even a month. It is, however, not the case that 4.6 has to ship before 5.0, although the timing would be odd, I guess. The long delay between the 4.0 announcement at GDC two years ago, and the final arrival in November 2012 wasn't our proudest moment. Our dev and QA teams are working under a great deal of pressure to get 5.0 out during the summer. The beta group may throw out interesting curveballs that cause more engineering work, but the desire is to not make pre-order customers wait forever.

7. wccrawford

wccrawford

Summer! Holy crap. I was sure we had at least 6 months before it would be released.

As excited as I am about it, I just assumed that we had a long lead time. In other words, perhaps your devs don't have to kill themselves getting this out in that timeframe.

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

Thanks for confirming.

I thought all these estimates floating around were quite off, all the stuff David had said in interviews etc seemed to point to "a couple of months" or something close and I think everyone was expecting a rule that 4.6 had to roll out before 5.0.. That is weird, since 5.0 would need the GUI and its in 4.6 but whatever, I guess it will sort itself out and is just a pipeline timing thing.

9. jorge_codes

jorge_codes

That's great news. However, are you talking about meteorological summer (Jun-Aug) or Irish cultural summer (May-Aug)? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer#Timing

10. goat

goat

Wow, pctroll to the ignore list. It's like there is a small group of trolls that sign up for accounts with every new thread when they don't start the threads themselves. The government and some businesses really needs better productivity measures as I can't imagine anyone would do such things in their free time.

That 5.0 can come out before 4.6 says to me that integrating the new GUI into 4.6 isn't as easy as 5.0 or maybe just the work hours have been used to get 5.0 ready rather than 4.6.

5.0 is as good as 4.6 to me.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  11. Whippets

Whippets

Agreed, give or take 0.4

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

This, I wish people would stop naming release dates based on summer, fall etc.
    There are customers from other hemispheres that you confuse the crap out of.

TueSaarie and brookwarner like this.
  13. Dabeh

Dabeh

Amen

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

(Means we can ship 6 months late and still say we shipped on time ;-))

Kiwasi, Axelieus, Meltdown and 4 others like this.
  15. fendorio

fendorio

Brilliant lol

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

One concern is how many of the promised features will be available before the final release (not alpha or beta or early adopter, but final 5.0) ? A lot of features are coming but it would be nice if 64 bit editor, enlighten and all the goodies are intended for 5.0 and not 5.6 ;)

BrUnO-XaVIeR likes this.
  17. niosop2

niosop2

I was under the impression that both 4.6 and 5.0 are waiting on the new GUI system. If that's ready before they get the bugs worked out of the new 5.0 features, then 4.6 would launch. If 5.0 is otherwise ready when the new GUI system is ready then they'll choose to launch either 4.6 or 5.0 since they don't want to deal with two product launches at the same time.

Don't remember where I got that impression though.

18. fendorio

fendorio

The 64 bit editor should be one of the top priorities - niceties aside, as I myself really do appreciate what the Unity team do! The 64-bit editor is long overdue in 2014 :p

Whatever's the case I'm sure the majority will be happy and the trolls will be left with plenty to troll at.

Personally I don't think they should add the profiler to the free version - Well I wouldn't, the free package is already amazing value. Not saying i'd complain if they did, just that i'd understand if they didn't.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    JohnParask likes this.
  19. tswalk

tswalk

^this^

and I need details on how enlighten is going to change things for those of us working on projects and workflow changes in the future.... and will we get the plugins with it for Maya/3Dmax?!?

20. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Of course I can't talk for Unity but based on previous releases I am pretty sure that you will not get plugins for external 3D Software.

21. drizzy954

drizzy954

Im just happy that v5 will be coming this summer.. I know we are all eager for its release.. But hey I want to come as fast as possible like the rest of you. But sometimes we just gotta wait for the things we really want. :)

22. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Don't get too nervous, it's not in beta yet ;)

23. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

+1 for that... Or maybe just wait till v6 is announced, then make us pay again. :evil:

24. Ness

Ness

+1
    Also:
    Does that mean that newGUI can not make it into 5.0? Or does that mean that there will be newGUI in 5.0 but for 4.X version we`ll have to wait? Please elaborate, because this made more confusion then there was previously.

25. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

uGUI will be in 4.6, which is in beta at the moment. 5.0 will have it as well, Graham only said that it would be technically possible that 5.0 could be out before 4.6 (but it won't)

26. Velo222

Velo222

Cool. I was guessing 5.0 would come out either in the Fall this year (fall 2014) or early next year (like Feb 2015). So, hearing a guesstimation of summer 2014 is even earlier than I was expecting :)

Very excited for Unity 5.0 here. Although I'm not excited about trying to update my project to it now lol. I want some of the new goodies though, like updated/faster physics and realtime global illumination!

27. landon912

landon912

Can someone from UT confirm that Unity 5.0 will have uGUI even if it releases before 4.6?

28. goat

goat

In another thread a Unity rep said that 4.5 was coming out within a month and without uGUI. I would think then the first of 4.6 or 5.0 to pass uGUI test suites would be the first released. We already know 4.6 is the end of the major features for the 4.x cycle and that the last major feature for 4.x is uGUI.

I'm guessing though, I wouldn't expect confirmation for Unity which version will be out first - they simply said the uGUI will be out this summer. That's what I read commitment to, not that particularly 4.6 or 5.0 will be out this summer.

29. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

4.6 is in beta for some time, 5.0 is not in beta yet. Its *very* unlikely that 5.0 comes before 4.6.

30. goat

goat

We're not talking likely, we're talking what Unity said: uGUI is out this summer.

31. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

You don't need unity 5 for uGUI. Unity 4.6 with uGUI is in beta for some time.

Landon wanted to know if U5.0 will have uGUI, even if it came before U4.6, so I answered to him that U5 is very unlikely coming out before U4.6 for said reasons. He can wait for an official statement, but I thought it would be enough for him to know that 4.6 is in beta, 5.0 not.

32. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

For real I don't find any interesting in Unity 5. Only 64-bit editor... Nothing that i waiting for... Nothing that can save my time, or optimize my workflow. Where nested prefabs? Where new Mono? Where optimized API? Nothing thats can make me Happy:(

33. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

34. PrefabEvolution

PrefabEvolution

I really like to use more convent features of c# v5.

35. draxdeveloper

draxdeveloper

pctroll is right with his/her post... Here where i live summer here starts in December, so i an always confused with those launch dates, even more because we don't use summer as a reference, we use semester, trimester etc...
    In my opinion, semester and trimester are more global because well, the first semesters is the first semester anywhere.

36. goat

goat

You're wrong and one not need compare the population of the northern hemisphere with the southern to know that.

Most only hear of semesters as a university concern and trimesters as a human pregnancy concern so switching to your terminology adds more confusion to more people than using spring, summer, fall, winter. Even many universities use spring, summer, fall, and winter as adjectives to clarify which semester.

Your solution is like using biennial and biannual. Most people are like huh?

37. StarManta

StarManta

Many businesses would say "Unity 5 to be released in Q3 2014", which avoids all of those confusions entirely.

38. goat

goat

Now that works for just about everyone.

39. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

WHEN IS IT COMING OUT??!!! I CANT WAIT! IT LOOKS TOO GOOD!

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well summer time ends 26th of October, but I wouldn't put all your eggs in a basket.

41. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unity 4.6 is coming out in the summer. Unity 5 likely won't be out until November at the earliest, given release trends.

42. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

The worst thing is lack of 64 bit Unity. My project is not so big, but there is a memory crash about 10 times a day. And work speed is veeeeeeery low.

43. daisySa

daisySa

Only 10 times a day? Lucky you. :) The way around it of course is to just build-test-build-etc, but it’s not exactly an efficient workflow.

My guess is that 4.6 and 5.0 will be released simultaneously during Unite in August. Fingers crossed...

44. Ness

Ness

So 4.6 and/or 5.0 might be released tomorrow or on October, I feel like I`m waiting for a Blizzard game release. I would like to see Unity speaking to us on an release date.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Some of our scenes we can't even load :D, just doing artwork until Unity 5.0 comes along. All I really need is the 64-bit editor like said above.

46. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Graham wrote that 4.6 is in Beta while 5.0 is in Alpha state. For me this leads to the conclusion that 4.6 should indeed appear rather soon but 5.0 is at least somewhere between 2-3 months away (if no showstopper bugs are discovered during Beta). Since he also wrote that a simultaneous release is too much of a burden I'd guess 4.6 in July, 5.0 in September.

47. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

any news?

48. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

It's just been a few hours... The release is ages away.

elmar1028 and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  49. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

Will.... god help us

50. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

Why in the world are they releasing two versions simultaneously?? o_O Merge the changes and release it as v5.!!

LucasUylings likes this.