Search Unity

Pro Tile vs Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by adamnorton, Mar 19, 2014.

1. adamnorton

adamnorton

Posted: 07:08 PM 2 Weeks Ago
    ProTile
    Tile Ed

Has anyone used both?
    Or either?

I am interested the following things.

Ease of use
    Performance of results.
    Ability to import / export a map at run time (I don't care if I have to write it, but can it be done).
    End user map building.

Ability to make complex prefab tiles, like doors, traps, pits, water tiles, lava etc.

Also interested in your opinion of the source code if provided, and the support.

I have to buy a copy for two developers each, so I want to know my stuff before I pay.

Thanks for your help,

2. im

im

nice thread, i too am shopping for one of these...

( need to finish filling in pros / cons )

Tile Ed $25 USD
    Rating: 39@4/5
    Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4194
    Forum Page: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/148235-UniRPG
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTE_yJuNslg

Pros:
    + Includes Full Source Code

Cons:

proTile Map Editor $50 USD
    Rating: 7@4/5
    Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11698
    Forum Page: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/203107-RELEASED-proTile-Map-Editor
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcClhOo1J6I

Pros:

Cons:

ReactEd Tiles $50 USD
    Rating: 0@?/5
    Asset Store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/14708
    Forum Page: ?
    Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLGMKRu0qoY

Pros:
    + Support For Layers
    + Different Size Tiles

Cons:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  3. im

im

nobody wants to pitch in on this?

where r the authors of these things shouldn't they be trying to sell us their products...

4. adamnorton

adamnorton

Maybe they didn't know about it , its not the support forum for their software, no alerts. I invited them via, email contact form. :)

5. Plattinator

Plattinator

Hello, I'm the developer for the ReactEd Tiles package. adamnorton is correct, I didn't see this until he sent an email.

Setting up tile sets and tiles is pretty simple, and the interface for painting tiles in the scene is easy too.

The results of building a map are the same as if you had manually dragged your tile prefabs into the scene. There aren't any extra components that need to be attached to your tile prefabs.

Yes, that can be done. The API to get and set tiles can be used at run time.

Yep.

Not a problem, since the tiles are just prefab references.

I'm sure I'm biased on that point, but I'd be happy to help with any issues that come up.

6. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hello guys, I'm an author of proTile Map Editor. Sorry didn't see this thread. :)

Ease of use
    - For me it's easy to use of course. :) Maybe the camera control could be better but you get use to it after several minutes. As for tiles setup in Editor it is pretty easy.
    Watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcClhOo1J6I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI3grZbyVg4

Performance of results
    - I do the tile batching with some extra optimisations. It usually gets to 1 draw call / material. Ability to preload map offline and load at runtime. Ability to LoadMapAsync. Also I optimise map references in file and reuse same tiles so the binary size is small (if you loading map at runtime).

Ability to import / export a map at run time
    - You can do that. There is a lot of functionality in this place already (because my editor is running in runtime and I do save/load things (but editor-only-runtime)). But yes, you will need to write some code.

End user map building
    - Even though my map editor is running at runtime, it's only editor-runtime because I use UnityEditor library for things. I know some guys remade this to work at runtime completely (even on the browser) so it's possible but it will require redoing lots of code I guess. :)

Also I'm working on proTile Runtime Builder which is basically an extension for this map editor for runtime building. The main functionality is already working and there are some cool features as well (like you can set count of the objects (like in mine craft) and you can set custom preview textures or use unity generated and etc, basically more usable for runtime building-type games (also including API to get list of tiles, tagging, list by category and inventory examples using it). I have already some guys using it and I could share it with you if you verify your purchase invoice for this map editor (you could be as a beta testers or smth). But as I said it's still in progress.

Ability to make complex prefab tiles, like doors, traps, pits, water tiles, lava etc.
    I can't guarantee that everything will work 100%. I'm using this map editor for my game and I use some quite complex tiles and shapes, and it works just fine, only sometimes it takes to prepare these tiles (like set pivot points correctly). :)

Also source code is provided and I could help you to explain things if you need.

To sum-up:
    I never tried "Tile Ed" or "React Ed" so I can't say much about them and I definitely can't say that mine is better. I don't think that my tool is perfect in all ways but I'm always open for improvements.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I will do my best to help you guys. :)

7. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

And by the way, if you consider buying proTile Map Editor for the team, don't buy for each person. Buy 1 package and share it with the team. I approve that kind of thing. :)

8. im

im

@ Plattinator

re: ReactEd Tiles

can your editor be used on flat map without edges or perhaps with edges and walls like these, where _ is the tile and \ / | the generated edges

_/
    /

_|
    |

\_
    \
    |_
    |
    _
    / \

_
    | |

\_/

|_|

@ Plattinator @proandrius

i hate buying something and then it goes on sale, so will your editor be on sale within the next month or so?

re: runtime

ability to procedurally generate maps using seed / rules at runtime is important

re: complex map

what about multi floor buildings made from tiles so u have to be able to do different floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, windows, roofs, ect... and layer them on on top of the other...

can any of these file based editors handle things like ceilings for 1st/3rd person games or it is just for topdown so basically its used to generate caves, dungeons, buildings, ect.

and then with doors, windows, hanging from walls and ceiling props like lights

9. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

I have no plans to do a sale. At least for 2-3 months.

10. im

im

ok thanks

do u support

ceilings so it can be used in and for 1st/3rd person games

and layers so it can be used to generate multifloor structures including putting up ceiling hanging lights and like steps so u can go between layers and ceiling and floor holes so u can put stairs ladders to between layers

and runtime procedural generation?

11. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Well you can make ceilings but you can't show/hide them within current editor functionality (even though it's tile map editor but you can use any meshes with different size/shapes you like as long as they make sense). For show/hide it's possible with some scripts, you just tag the prefabs and you can just show/hide them by finding with some identification. I could share a script doing that (have few). You can also disable snapping so you can put your objects however you want (for eg. putting stairs/lights precisely). Of course you have to follow some rules (it's not 3d studio max or maya). :)

As for "runtime procedural generation" you can do that with script as well. Map is just a txt file, so you can figure out the rules of the text and generate it yourself, even without building anything because in that file, I save all the info like "reference to prefab, position, rotation, static/dynamic, etc". I never tried that so I can't guarantee anything.

Also I'm working on a layering feature currently as well (like in photoshop). With the ability show/hide layers or even load/unload at runtime. But this feature is in progress still.

12. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Code (csharp):
    1. where r the authors of these things shouldn't they be trying to sell us their products
    I casually browse this forum maybe once a month, so I would not see this thread if someone did not inform me about it. Best is to ask questions in the threads made for products as we can set those to send email notifications when someone post in 'em.

Tile Ed.

>> Ease of use
    Depends on the user. I could say it is easy to use, but what does that really mean?
    Best to look at the vids to see how things are set up and how maps are painted.

>> Performance of results.
    Tiles are game objects, so performance depends on same thing it would depend if you where to place them manually. No mesh combine, atlas making or auto collider generator thing in the tool - if that is what you are asking.

>> Ability to import / export a map at run time (I don't care if I have to write it, but can it be done).
    Tiles are GameObject under a parent object so you can make the whole map object a prefab.

>> End user map building.
    Tile placement code is in the runtime side but you will have to build your own editor interface to communicate with it.

>> Ability to make complex prefab tiles, like doors, traps, pits, water tiles, lava etc.
    A tile is a prefab. The system do not care what the prefab looks like. Keep in mind that the tile should fit into a specific sized grid. Of course you can have overlaps and such if it makes sense for your design.

>> Also interested in your opinion of the source code if provided, and the support.
    source provided

ps. if you have more questions about Tile Ed, please ask in the thread I made for it.
    All docs and vids are available on the first page of the thread.

Tile Ed forum entry >> http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/148235-UniRPG

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  13. thedreamer

thedreamer

This is a really interesting thread

I'd love to hear your thoughts

14. adamnorton

adamnorton

I would like to thank all the product developers for responding. All of your tools look amazing, and there are features that I want from each,
    and I am trying to pick one that is going to fit my needs. :)

The original intent was to hear from people that have tried them. But I thought its really only fair you get a voice too. :)
    Although I have watch the videos from each of yours and read your forum posts , repeatedly for all things in fact.

I think for indie games, content is king. We can have a novel idea but unless there content no one will see that novel idea.
    (I know there are exceptions like Flappy Birds lol) But in a small indie team there simply is not enough time or personal
    to hand craft the environment. Like Skyrim for example. :p

So procedural generated content, user created content and really good tools such as yours.
    We will probably be purchasing it around the 28th, when we get paid from the dull business programming job that we use to pay the bills. :p

Hopefully that will give some more time for users to add to the discussion.

15. adamnorton

adamnorton

Would it be possible to have several "maps" each one as a separate "level" in the same level.
    This way level 0 is the ground, level one "floor" could be the ceiling of the other. (different tilesets idea - house roof, another level, etc)
    Negative levels for pitts, underwater etc)

Maybe a level/map manager.
    Where you could hide/show the level by adding a script to the map gameobject.

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    6. public class HideInEditor : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public bool Visible
    9.     void OnEnable () {
    10.        renderer.enabled = Visible;
    11.     }
    13.     void OnDisable () {
    14.        renderer.enabled = Visible;
    15.     }
    16. }
    Just a thought, figured it might work with minimal code change for an editor developer.

16. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hi, of course you can use two (or more) levels in one level. You can setup offset for map loading as well. So for example if you have two floors (two different maps) you can load them separately at runtime and you can set the offset as well. So you load floor 1, then you know where is your next floor is going to be, set the position (so for example, set map offset Y + first floor height) so it will load another map on top of the first map and you will have two floors. Or you can even build second floor higher in the first place (you can move grid up/down) so it will load higher because when I load map, I use asset position as it was used in the map editor.

17. adamnorton

adamnorton

Basically I am thinking this.
    You could either build a 3d dungeon level

or something like this.
    imagine a city.
    level 0 tag as outside draw the city ground map, outside stuff etc. and the base floor of buildings (skyscrapers) - zone tag as outdoor
    level 1 - X, interior of the buildings (zone tag indoor, (room / areas with access to the outside tag as indoor/outdoor) Second floor etc)
    levels -1 - x sewers etc. tag as underground (water, and pits etc that can be seen from the above level as pit , hole or something.

In the editor only load levels current and below maybe hide negative levels till your current floor is negative
    In game you would load by tag. if you are outside load outside indoor/outdoor levels 0 and up and anything -1 and hole.
    inside load only the inside current level, and the level above and below.

Basically create events OnLevelChange(), OnZoneChange(), OnChararacterMove() and load the appropriate "tiles" for the current, level, zone, and location.

Just my thoughts on the ceiling of a level, and how far you could take my solution.

18. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

It would be pretty easy to do that your self. Because when you load map it creates a main GameObject named after the map name (and all the tiles are inside that main GameObject). So hiding a level would be something like "GameObject.Find(levelName).enabled = false;" and that is basically it. (or you can assign the tag to that main GameObject and find it with tag if you want).

Also in my tile map editor you can set categories to be either dynamic or static. All the dynamic tiles are not batched and they are as it is (good for enemies and animated stuff). So you can make a tile as a trigger with some script attached and when player enters that trigger you just show/hide levels that you need. You can even use LoadLevelAsync so it will load map longer but without interruption to the game play. So when you enter level1 you can LoadLevelAsync level2 and it will load the next level while you are playing and you can also check the status if the level is loaded (so for example if the player is quick enough to move through the level1 to level2 and level2 is not loaded yet, you can check the status and require to wait while it's still loading).

Also by "Loading Level" I mean it loading the map or the level part (not different scene). And LoadLevelAsync is my API for level loading (not unity's Application.LoadLevelAsync).

19. thedreamer

thedreamer

20. adamnorton

adamnorton

When I say level I meant floor / map level in a scene.

Large city, each floor a level, citywide:
    Can you create groups for loading / unloading in addition to the map levels.
    For example I am on level 2 of a building, I want to load levels 1, 2, 3 of the building, but in the greater scene, I am in one of hundreds of buildings, 75% have 3 or more levels, and don't want to load those.

OR

Large city, each building a separate map
    Just define the shell of the building in the main map. Then load when near.
    Just would want to be able to load, the rooms when you go by a window, or the outside when you go by.

Do your patterns work vertically as well as horizontally. And can you make patterns with random objects in it.
    And can patterns be made out of other patterns.

Create rooms as a pattern (different classifications - office, living, manufacturing etc) and a number of them. Set them up to have randomized items, mobs, clutter, furniture what ever.

What I am thinking
    Then create floors as patterns (making sure everything lines up to a basic elevator / stair layout) and using the rooms fill that floor with random rooms. Create a number of the floors as patterns. Then on to the building. using the random floor generator create a number of random buildings. then when you build the city using those.

Room Patterns like OfficeRoom1 ~ 10, ResidentialRoom 1 =10
    Level Patters like OfficeFloor1 10, ResidentialFloor1 =10
    Building Patterns like OfficeBuilding1 10, ResidentialBuilding1 =10

Then build the city of large city using those patterns.

Or am I just going to far and getting a crazy with the cheese wiz. :)

21. adamnorton

adamnorton

that looks nice, but I always get kind of annoyed when I can't go in every building I see.
    :p
    I would think you build tile sets with the ground texture objects.
    Connector sets with road, and ground , curb , lights etc.

The buildings would just be objects that you place on the map

22. Plattinator

Plattinator

Sure, you can do a flat map without edges. I'm not sure that I understand all of your edge/wall configurations, but you can definitely do edges/walls that are flush along the flat sides of tiles.

As far as I know, we don't have any sales planned.

Runtime generation works fine.

You could layer multiple floors on top of each other. The easiest way would be like what was mentioned above, where each floor is it's own tile map.

Ceilings can be done. Each tile is just a prefab reference, so you can do anything you want as if you were placing prefabs manually in your scene. Same with doors and windows.

23. im

im

hi

i also want to thank all the authors for taking time to come here and answer our questions.

your answers are very helpful in aiding us make an informed decision.

best regards!

24. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hello,

So I tried using this Urban package for few minutes. It does not work perfectly (some of the meshes have weird pivot points and I had to adjust them manually). But lots of stuff still works out of the box. Also had some difficulties with roads and bridges. What I liked the most is that (there are some buildings that are only single floors) so with Mass Builder building vertically you can build skyscrapers with a single click. :)

So to sum-up, it would require to adjust some things to make it work with all the objects in the package, but it's really doable.

This is a screenshot within few minutes of trying to do smth:

PS: in the upcoming update, I'm making a better support for these kind of tiles and meshes. So you could wait for it as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  25. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Hey guys, some of you were interested in the Runtime support for proTile Map Editor.

I've just released beta 2 build for proTile Map Editor v2.0, that contains:
    1. Runtime support with exposed all API for using map editor functionality at runtime.
    2. Layers (create separate layers when using Editor (workflow similar to photoshop layers)).
    3. Custom Tile previews for Runtime usage.
    4. Some other optimisations and improvements.

If you are interested, write me to pro.andrius@gmail.com (include your invoice number).

26. cg_destro

cg_destro

proandrius very good sir! very good :) if only day have more hours and would not need to sleep I would love to play with it :) but probably will find time when it will go out of beta :)
    but great news, glad to hear it :) keep up good work! :)

27. Vaupell

Vaupell

Gotta necro (revive) this thread a bit.

Was looking for a new 3D tile editor, since the one I've been using (tidy tile mapper) for a little more than a year now,
    is not being updated, and I'm spending to much time "fixing" the asset. Shame really enjoyed it.

Now this thread has really helped me a lot considering a new system, except I've also thrown "Rotorz Tile System"
    into consideration, haven't decided yet, but I often build levels and maps for other developers usually sidescrolling
    and the 2.5D/3D tile systems really easy the work load a lot.

I'll be buying a new system by monday. Until then, I'm as usual checking youTube for tutorials and guides
    since it's much faster than reading through the entire documentation, especially when working with so many
    new assets each week, it's just learn by doing, or find stuff on youTube, so a lack of youTube tutorials or
    other video sites, is certainly something i take in consideration.

Good thread!