Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velo222

Velo222

It's official!!! :)

I am very excited, mainly because of the physics upgrade. But I'm wondering about performance in regards to the newer PhysX version. Does anyone know if the new physics version will lighten the load on the CPU burden by a good amount? Or I guess, in general terms, is it faster? And perhaps, how much faster -- I know that's kind of a relative question?

I'm thinking in regards to real-time game object destruction during semi-large battles that stress the CPU currently. I hope now, this will be more performant :)

In any case, can't wait for it to be released.

2. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

I'm digging the Flappy Bird sprites in the video.

3. garyhaus

garyhaus

WOW!!!!

Pre-ordered the upgrades!

G

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. eskovas

eskovas

@Graham Dunnett
    Will Unity Cloud Ads work on desktop games in the future or will they only work for mobile games?

5. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

I don't know how much, but the new PhysX is quite a lot faster. More detail here: http://physxinfo.com/news/11297/the-evolution-of-physx-sdk-performance-wise/

6. Gord10

Gord10

Exciting news!

Will Unity 5 support new gen consoles?

7. im

im

big congrats / best regards!

i can't wait

but check this out deep in the Unity 5 FAQ there are some hidden surprises

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

8. SPIKY

SPIKY

More exited about the new GUI than the 5.0 features :D

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Sh*t.....!!! guys really, no seriously....release a tech demo man.....you really need a tech demo not only a video......
    Jeezz this is Huge....really exciting news..!!!

10. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Hi Graham,

Can you elaborate a little on what changes are being made to Asset Bundles in 5.0 please? It's been my magic wind item for most desired change for several months now, so I'm excited to see it mentioned.

The team are also interested in info regarding the job threading, and the work being done to optimize the GC, but we can wait for info to emerge over the course of this year.

Promising stuff.

11. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

I am curious if the "Multi-threaded Job System" is Editor only or runtime as well?

12. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

PlayStation 5 and XBoxTwo haven't even been announced yet… ;-)

(If you mean current gen consoles, then yes.)

13. Stiangul

Stiangul

cant wait for the GUI feature.

14. ryanzec

ryanzec

When I read about the new features, I was very disappointed not to see the new GUI system but then I came hear to mention that and see that it is coming in 4.6, happy about that.

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Requiring teams to write their own scripts to actually create the AssetBundles has been a bit, well, clumsy. So we're getting new tools that allow assets to be tagged up and the asset bundles generated automagically. (I don't know - yet - the full details.)

Again, everything has multiple cores now it's 2014. So, we've a job threading system that farms out work to multiple cores. This should speed apps up.

16. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Um, that's what we have a booth at GDC for. Am sure the demos will get online after the event. (But maybe not all the demos.)

17. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Congratulations on version 5.0 :D The new features look really nice.

I am just a bit surprised that we are still not getting an official, visual shader editor ala Shader Forge. Feels like something that should be a standard feature for all version of Unity.

My day was on the other hand made by the fact that we will see the new GUI system this spring with the 4.6 update *drools*

18. Marionette

Marionette

so Graham? speedtree? i noticed on their site they haven't said anything. are they holding off until a firm release for 5.0? are the details already solid? and if so, is there anything you can share with us? lic details etc?

19. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Aw...come on....don't you want people to spread about Unity 5 Hype..... :D
    btw can we get any detail about the speedtree and enlighten integration??
    is that mean treeCreator going to be obsolete??

20. im

im

Thanks, but sad...

Don't get me wrong I love all the stuff I read, but would have been nice for Mono update to have been on the list.

So if you can't update Mono why just just replace the GC or have an open interface that allows others to replace it!

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah Graham, let's not dodge the bullet with speeding trees.. I'd love a grand oak or too to ponder at whilst my draw calls flop through the bottom of my computer ;)..

Again good job. Also you could of told me earlier, I nearly bit the bullet on the full shabang UE4. That would of cost me a fortune!! Just saying.

22. jaelove

jaelove

How easy will it be to transfer projects to Unity 4?

23. kaiyum

kaiyum

I am curious too.

About speedtree support, do we have to buy license from speedtree(like scaleformUI) to use or unity's license is enough?

Plus, will free mobile deployment stay on?

24. LaneFox

LaneFox

Could you clarify or link/pm more info?

25. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

This can't be answered easily. As always, depends on the project. Simple as that. Generally things have worked smooth for myself in the past but that doesn't mean that it will for you. Usually, few adjustments have to be made.

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am still salivating over the Realtime GI, since it was a pain to often tweak and bake out beast lightmaps... enlighten will definitely ease my pain. Will Beast still be in Unity?

27. Pulov

Pulov

everything looks really polished and... really pro. Finally 64 bits!!!

28. Stardog

Stardog

Anyone going to answer this? It says limited time on the website.

29. LaneFox

LaneFox

Until release of 5.0. You have plenty of time.

30. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I'm not an expert, but afaik, Unity 5.x can import SPM files that you author in your SpeedTree Modeller as prefabs. LOD and shadows should just work as expected, and wind should bend the trees in a natural way.

31. Fab4

Fab4

Still no APEX? :(

32. jonkuze

jonkuze

Where can I find more details on WebGL? or when can I expect more technical details about how to prepare your game for WebGL and what will or won't be supported. Thanks!

33. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The faq says:

Unity 5 Pre-order period and offers
    What do I get if I pre-order Unity 5.0?
    Owners of a Unity Pro 4.x perpetual license can pre-order Unity 5.0 for $600. If they also have Unity 4.x deployment add-ons, they can upgrade the add-ons to Unity 5.0, at $600 / add-on. This offer cannot be combined with any other current offers from Unity and expires when Unity 5.0 is officially released.

34. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Thomas is right. There are scripting changes that will come with 5.x, and for that we are making tools that will help the upgrade process. It's a bigger change than 3.x to 4.x.

35. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

This is extremely disappointing. Please, PLEASE try and communicate the user need for some resolution to the Xamarin/UT chest-thumping bullshit to your legal team. Try to remember that Unity is not just supposed to be a tech demo that UT can use to compare graphics with Unreal; people are supposed to use it to make actual games. And to build an actual game on top of Unity, you need a way to write code. And if the only way to write code is through a buggy, slow library that has been outdated since some of your devs were in elementary school, you will not be able to keep actual dev studios using your product. All the latest bells and whistles in graphics are worthless if a game becomes unplayable once you add actual gameplay on top of it. The efforts Unity is going through to try and make their own calls marginally usable on the broken Mono GC is a pointless task; you should not be wasting money paying devs to desperately struggle to make some of your API less awful when the success of your business requires other devs outside of your company to write code to the same .NET implementation. Take all the money being spent on the band-aid API devs, give it to better lawyers, and work something out with Xamarin, for the love of all that is holy.

CelticKnight likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

One last question and this is an important one, what's going on with the OpenGL version in UT5?

Are we finally going to see it brought up to 4.1 as Apple are now on 4.1?

37. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

So, the engineers who are leading this work are on stage at GDC today, and will be at the booth later in the week and can answer questions. I know not everyone can be in San Francisco to talk with them, and that's disappointing. Today we are showing Dead Trigger 2 running in Firefox as an existence proof of what can be done already. After GDC we'll start talking about where we are at. Today sockets are not supported. It's too soon to talk about what will arrive in the 5.0 release.

38. garyhaus

garyhaus

ShadowK... Good question. I would 'hope' yes?

39. Metron

Metron

I'm actually pretty excited about V5. We're working on architectural visualizations with Unity and the Oculus Rift. GI will definitely help us :) The audio features will also have quite some impact...

As for now I'd say: Good job...

Let's see if you keep your promises :)

40. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Is there any chance this will fix some of the bugs with the current trees? Like the "max mesh trees" not doing anything, and the billboards being broken in HDR, and transparency broken in Deferred?

41. Blyler

Blyler

Why?! This is upsetting to me. Mono and the .net languages are advancing and we can't take advantage of those advances as unity developers. Mono is on 3.2.7 now.

42. virror

virror

Still no 3d sound support i guess? This is whats truly make a difference in sound immersion.

43. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

It's because they've been in a stupid legal battle with Xamarin (the makers of Mono) for years. Xamarin wants to charge them lots of money for a Mono license and Unity doesn't want to pay, so they just throw lawyers at each other in some kind of underground cage fighting gladiator tournament. It doesn't look like it will end until one side runs out of lawyers.

44. joncham

joncham

Unity Technologies

As Graham said, some of the WebGL team is at GDC giving talks, showcasing demos, and answering questions. In general, WebGL should be analogous to an AOT platform (iOS for example) with additional platform restrictions (no threads, etc).

45. UndeadButterKnife

UndeadButterKnife

What is the name of the song on the Unity 5 trailer?

46. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

All those asking for updates to Mono-Develop. Unity is well aware of the need, but stomping your foot on the ground or throwing fits here doesn't really help anyone. So let's all please keep cool here. Thanks.

47. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

So, today we've announced that we are working on Unity 5.x. It's available to pre-order, but is not shipping yet. As with every other Unity release, we have a beta period, where selected users are invited to participate and help us locate and fix bugs. We've seen lots of lurkers, and people not sticking with the NDA, so, the beta list has recently been massively scaled back. Once 5.0 clears beta, it'll be released and made available to Pro customers.

48. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Personally I just wish there was a little more transparency in what Unity plans on doing about it. They've been "well aware of the need" for many years now, but have purposefully avoided doing anything about it in what I can only assume is a bluff to Xamarin to make it seem like they don't actually need their help, and it seems like their plan is to keep bluffing forever in the hope that Xamarin will lower their price. If we had some kind of assurance that there was any sort of plan at all other than continuing to bluff for the next decade, I would feel better. What about separating out Mono and using some IoC trickery to allow users to plug in their own .NET runtime? This would allow Windows users to use MS .NET, and would allow other users on most platforms to use any version of Mono they want by just downloading it for free, and Unity would get away with not having to pay anything. They could keep their own version of Mono for iPhone since that seems to be the main sticking point (due to static linking of LGPL code), and take all their lawyers off of the endless and hopeless Xamarin battle and instead redirect them towards Apple to try and force them to support non-static linking. Announcing Unity 5 while saying they still aren't giving in to Xamarin's demands just feels like a signal that they are going to continue this stupid bluff forever.

49. GregMeach

GregMeach

Great, I had budgeted around $7000 for a used car, guess it will have to be closer $5500... ;)

50. LaneFox

LaneFox

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.