Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cynic

cynic

Instead of throwing themselves on something that won't solve the problem and actually cause a huge outcry within the community and paying customers by betting on a solution which is not cross-platform and goes against UT's own root, perhaps it is time to evaluate alternatives, as in other languages and platforms, if a deal with Xamarin really seems unreachable. For all I care, give us bloody Java and that's that, it's that similar to C#.NET, and the never-ending problem goes away instantly. But that's a whole different discussion.

Either way, I am aware that it is difficult to talk about these things while there might be ongoing negotiations or even lawyers involved. However, some word on this, progress, problems, alternative plans, thoughts, anything going in that direction would be hugely appreciated by many. Talk to us, if you can. :)

CelticKnight likes this.
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

So is this WebGL support replacing the web player in all browsers?

3. Ocid

Ocid

On second check seems VAT was applied. I never noticed it wasn't on there before.

Shows up as $1875 for perpetual and $94 a month for sub. Just need to sell my body a little longer :)

4. caywen2

caywen2

Very excited about this! One question, though. Will the new 64-bit editor also support high DPI displays natively? Currently, on my Yoga 2 Pro (it's like 260dpi), the UI looks scaled and kind of blurry. I also dislike the font rendering in the UI. Will that be fixed?

One other thing I'd love, and hope/wish it's there: If the game editor view could support touch screens, that would be sweet. Panning, 2-finger zoom, 2-finger rotate.

5. Ocid

Ocid

Except Java sucks

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

No. We get both... for now.

7. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

For the mid-term future, we plan to support both WebGL and the Web Player, as the Web Player will still deliver better performance and work on more browsers right now (especially on older setups). For the more distant future I'd expect that browser vendors will drop plugin support (as Google has already announced), eventually making the Web Player obsolete.

8. UndeadButterKnife

UndeadButterKnife

.Net >>> JVM >>>>>>> Mono >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(infinity later)>>> Version of Mono that unity uses.

9. LaneFox

LaneFox

I think its just shadowed by the giant that is 5.0, and some are probably bummed that they wont get some of those large new features without upgrading. Unity is so flexible its entirely possible that a lot of the users didn't really get any use out of 4.x updates other than Mecanim and DX11... 5.0 feels extremely catering to those users, however. Which is awesomesauce.

10. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Way more exciting major version than 4 was.

11. cynic

cynic

Well, that's an insightful comment. Thanks for elaborating your opinion in such great detail. :p

On a serious note:

C# and Java are extremely similar languages historically. Apart from this though, the current JVM is much more modern and performant including GC than the decade old Mono implementation we're using in Unity. Therefore this might be a real alternative going forward.

12. joncham

joncham

Unity Technologies

While we have nothing specific to announce at this time regarding a mono upgrade, know that we *are* working on solutions to the current situation.

CelticKnight likes this.
  13. Nanity

Nanity

Another few questions popped up in my head that are related to the installer size.

Will ancient features like GUIText, IMGUI and legacy animation be thrown out to save bandwidth and maintance? Will the demo scene moved to the asset store? How far is the work with the patching feature to prevent big downloads for small fixes?

Edit for Mono topic:
    Dynamic linking and independend Mono downloads would be a burden worth to carry, at least as an option. Of course we won't recieve any numbers, but I'd really like to know about how much money we are talking about with these licenses.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  14. RC-1290

RC-1290

Interesting that the top two DX11 contest winners created features that will now be supported in Unity 5 by default -> Physically based shading and Realtime Global Illumination. Except for the GPU based particle simulation.

I'm still interested in learning more about what the new shader architecture means with regards to language and features.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

I agree with James and Lane.

Unity 5.0 does seem to overshadow 4.0 in many major ways, not only are we getting features that have been needed and probably should of been in 4.0 (64-bit editor) we are getting future tech like PowerVR and enlighten. Which obviously I'm not complaining, this is amazing and has made my week.

Now Unity seems to be following the path of a world class game engine..

16. henriquefaria

henriquefaria

That makes me sad :(

17. cynic

cynic

Hehe, thanks. It is at the very least reassuring to hear something is being done. :)

18. Per

Per

Is there no IOS or Android standard/free now, only Pro?

19. kat0r

kat0r

Language != RTE. Also, Unity cannot really switch from C# to Java without pissing off 90% of their users.

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you mean OnGUI code, no, that's going nowhere since the entire editor depends on it.

Nothing at all has changed in that department; all the licenses are the same as ever.

--Eric

21. jcarpay

jcarpay

Well, the rumor is going that Microsoft might be interested in buying Xamarin.

22. Nanity

Nanity

23. cynic

cynic

No need to "switch". Let's keep Mono 2.6 around for the next 10 years for all I care. If people are happy to work with that, power to them. :D

24. Per

Per

Strange, I have Android standard and the only upgrade option the store gives me is Android pro (and it warns me when i go to checkout that I have not opted to update android).

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You don't buy the non-Pro licenses; they are free.

--Eric

26. korinVR

korinVR

How about the WebGL deployment (gzipped JavaScript) size?
    I remember Flash deployment had 2MB overhead. Is WebGL deployment small enough to download for users?

And can it use AssetBundles?

27. JonathanBolten

JonathanBolten

What is the best way to talk with someone about the grace period for a recent buyer of Unity 4 Pro? I literally just bought Unity 4 Pro last month, and am kicking myself for not waiting until GDC. :(

28. TheDMan

TheDMan

Okay, since no one answered my questions here, instead I see in this thread here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/234962-Is-Autodesk-Beast-gone-in-Unity-5 that jonas echterhoff answered that Beast wont be in Unity 5.

So ....... what other things have been removed??

And "will all these new real time global illumination features work on DX9 and above or is it solely work on DX11 and above"?

29. kenshin

kenshin

@Aurore

will be available videos of the speeches of today GDC conference?

30. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

That would be dumb. The biggest benefit MS gets out of the money they give to Xamarin is that Mono isn't associated with MS in people's minds. I think a lot of the Linux and open source community would backlash against Mono on principle if it became openly owned by Microsoft.

31. TheDMan

TheDMan

Thats a ridiculous thing to want removed. Legacy animation should stay put. Animators use their tool of choice for animations and dont want to be forced to use something like Mechanim if they dont want to.

32. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Well, they show GI working on Android, iPhone, and I believe WebGL, so it can't be DX11 only.

33. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Android and iOS standard used to cost money but they became free with Unity 4. They will still be free in 5.

34. RC-1290

RC-1290

I'm pretty sure that the talks will only be available on the GDC Vault, not on Unity's YouTube page. Unless they struck a deal.

35. artysta

artysta

Question on pricing....
    I own Unity 4 Pro and iOS Pro which I paid for (perpetual license).
    Is it true that if I upgrade, it will be $600 + $600 for the 2?
    What if I want to switch to subscription?
    I see the subscription is pre-ordered at $40, would that also be another $40 for iOS?
    If I switch to Subscription is it $75 + $75?
    Confused.

36. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

I'm curious, what's new in PhysX 3.3?
    I hope some new stuff in "wheel collier".
    I wait for news, it's going to be a blast when the new unity 3D version coming out:)
    Keep up the good work guys.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

For a start Enlighten is mobile compatible, so it works with OpenGLES and as it works on MAC it must support OpenGL.

As for DX9 Well the engine work I did with it and enlighten didn't support it, so I've not a clue.

It doesn't seem like they have removed anything else really??

38. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I hit the upgrade button already, didn't even read anything. Pre-Ordered :D
    Can't wait!

39. Ziboo

Ziboo

Hi, great news, all those features look awesome ?
    Some questions ?
    - Do PBL shaders will be easily extendable ?
    - Does speedtree interaction will only works on terrain ? or single tree in scene too ?
    - Anything on “Nested Prefabs” ? One of the most wanted feature after the new GUI I think.
    - Can you give more details on those points please:
    “New AssetBundle System”
    “Ambient light scene render settings”
    “Improved LOD Groups”

Thanks a lot and good work to all Unity Staff

40. TheDMan

TheDMan

Thats impossible to tell until someone from Unity actually says what has or has not been removed.

Its always best to hear it from the Unity team directly than to assume under speculations or rumors.

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not assuming nor am I stating, it just doesn't appear like it has. As you said it's up to Unity to tell us...

42. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

I wonder which of the assets that I have bought and that I have grown to love will be migrated to Unity 5. TC/WC, RTP, SECTR, Dialogue System, Adventure Creator, Crafty, Daikon Forge. I hope there won't be too many that I have to sadly bid farewell to /-:

43. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Contact your sales advisor who sold you the license, and ask them to be extra kind to you.

44. ForceX

ForceX

Does this mean we can get access to native Vector3.Double's?? Wink wink

45. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Wow. It hasn't even been a year that I bought Unity Pro and iOS Pro.

46. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

So, if you keep your perpetual license, you'll pay $600+$600, exactly as you said. However, because we know some people don't have money to upgrade, we're giving them the option of switching their perpetual into a subscription at a reduced price for the first 12 months. That's the $40+$40 option for you, yes. After the end of the 12 months, you can either continue to subscribe at $75+$75, or stop subscribing and revert back to your 4.x Pro+iOSPro. If you want to keep your existing perpetual license, and start a completely new subscription, then that will be $75+$75. But given you already have a license, why start a new one?

47. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Good time to ping the vendors and ask them for their plans. 5.0 will be news to them so be gentle with them. Maybe offer to help beta test their plugins for them?

48. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

No.

49. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Your 4.x products will continue to work. You can upgrade whenever you are ready.

50. Marionette

Marionette

going java only would lose me.

just sayin..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.