Search Unity

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Anyway, sorry for all the complaining, I don't want to rain on the parade. I am very glad of all the other new features in Unity 5. Your devs are doing great work. It's just your lawyers that need to be fired. ;)

2. Ricks

Ricks

This must be the best Unity ever! :D (until the next iteration)

Very worth to stay at this engine. The development of the engine is active all the time even though there are some delays. But whenever I get tired and look at another game engine, Unity suddenly comes up with something new, pulling me back.

3. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

I am asking for updates to Mono, not Mono Develop. If I could use Mono 3.2.7 with Unity I'd settle for Notepad if that's what it takes.

Oh, and a lot of stuff in Unity 5 is very exiting and I am looking forward to it.

4. F.Salka

F.Salka

Does Unity 5 finally supports retina macbook (pixel to pixel accuracy on retina screens)? and for the audio engine, we still have Fmod?
    I have Unity 4 student commercial license bought from studica (with iOS add-on), how much will it coast me to pre-order Unity 5 (no discounts)?

Thanks in advance!

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is there a discount for first time buyers of unity 5 under pre order? If so I'd like to buy one for our artist. We already get Unity for "free" thanks to our console connection but I feel like showing some support regardless. Probs also upgrade our old license hanging around as well.

6. Nasarius

Nasarius

This made me laugh, so thanks for that. But seriously, if negotiations haven't succeeded after a couple years, what hope is there that they ever will? It's not reasonable for things to take so long in this industry.

At this point, I'd expect a new alternative before a Mono update. Which would also have the side effect of weakening Xamarin's negotiating position. As I've said before, just give me a C API which I can use directly, or use to bolt on LuaJIT or V8, or do anything else.

7. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

If the new gui will be at 4.6, 4.4/4.5 will have only bug fixes on the release notes? (not that this is not important)

8. aclee

aclee

Unity 64-Bit editor? will i be able to run it on my 32-Bit PC? will i need i 64-Bit PC to even use unity 5? or will i be able to use most or all of it's feature but just not get the maximum performance?

9. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Unity already does, my brother has played my game in 4k resolution (which is about 60% more than a Retina Macbook)... Unless for some weird reason just Retina Macbooks and Unity don't play along.

10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Someone should make a game out of that. A Lawyer Cage Fighter. All the revenues from the game should also be put into upgrading the Mono license. :D

11. Pix10

Pix10

Just checked out the prices, while I can't tell if new purchase orders are discounted (can't remember the original price!), they're offering discounts on up to 3 subscriptions if you own a persistent license - 30 euros vs 57 for the first year, applies to all add-ons also, regardless of your current setup (15 euro/pm for Team License).

12. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

there was a cluster rendering tech demo on unite 2013 (by pete moss), with CAVE-support integrated. will this be in unity5?

13. Marionette

Marionette

Thanks for the update Graham. It sounds like it's more of an importer for SpeedTree than an integration, would that be correct? Thus, UT deals with the resultant mesh/model files etc.. By integration, i understood that to be that we the unity users, would need to integrate it..

The multithreading jobs queue, that will be in the runtime as well, correct? or is it only for the editor? we'll be able to create and modify gameobects from different threads now?

14. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

4.4 has already shipped to consoles customers.

4.5 has a gazillion new features. It's release notes will look like other 4.x release notes.

4.6 will be like 4.5, but with the GUI added. It may have other changes, but internally we think of it as 4.5+GUI.

15. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

From what I've heard, it will be runtime as well but it will be totally handled by Unity. And thread-safe-ness (ehm) is the same as Unity 4.
    But I don't really know and would like to know more :)

16. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

That's a good idea. It could be called.... Mortal Kontract.

CelticKnight likes this.
  17. TheDMan

TheDMan

Impressive, and it looks like a tremendous amount of work.

Now for the nitty gritty. Before I spend a single dime on pre-order .... okay, you've shown us whats been added ... but what about what has been taken out??

UT carried out funny business in the pre-orders before and then boom, all of sudden people thought certain features would carry over into the next version while they did not, and no one mentioned that before purchases and payments were taken. (Ex: removing point light shadows, etc).

So, what has been removed thats in it now??

I believed someone asked if Beast was still in Unity 5, is it? Someone else also asked will all these new real time global illumination features work on DX9 and above or is it solely work on DX11 and above...... will it?

An official statement should be made of what purchasers should expect to be removed from the current version before any money changes hands.

18. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Something rather minor in regards to all the hypercool features but will there be a 2D Navmesh functionality for top-down games in 4.x or 5?

19. Marionette

Marionette

ok, then it doesn't sound too bad i guess. from our perspective, we'd only need to thread our calls to their job queue, right? i'm assuming something similar to TaskScheduler or the other schedulers in ParallelExtensions?

hehe as long as i can create or modify from a different thread via the job queue, i'm good ;)

20. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I suspect there will be a 32-bit editor for those users still with 32-bit OSes.

21. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I see it as analogous to our FBX importer. You use some modelling tool to create the artwork, Unity then sucks that in and renders it for you. In the SpeedTree case, there are many runtime features that are now built into Unity to animate the trees in a way that SpeedTree users expect.

22. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Great! Thanks Graham!

23. garyhaus

garyhaus

Sorry Graham... Do you know if its OpenGL4.x on OS X?

24. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks guys... :)

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's not what retina support means. Playing a game at 4K and having the editor support retina resolutions are entirely separate things.

--Eric

26. Marionette

Marionette

Ok understood, sounds cool then. Will there be a speedtree version limitation? i have an older lic..

and one last question. from my understanding the 65k mesh vertex limitation is due to 16bit index buffers. 32bit in there too? (crosses fingers ;) )

27. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Since Unity-Free features are still in question... I'm still dreaming for rendertextures in Unity Free... it's a pretty old technology and with some many other amazing goodies added since isn't it time to get some rendertextures? ;-)

28. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

That made me laugh sooo much.

29. Marionette

Marionette

hehe yeah.. when one lawyer slaps down another: FLAWLESS ARGUMENT!

CelticKnight likes this.
  30. Robota

Robota

No new MONO? Ok...
    And what about monodevelop stability? Today debugging on mac is a real nightmare. What the point of all these new features, if we can't debug in peace? Debugging is part of the workflow!

Imagine this new nightmare: to debug code using the new multi-threaded job system... Ah ah !

31. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Thanks so much @Graham! I'm really looking forward to the new Unity, things like GUI and better assetbundles really get me going :)

32. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

33. Ocid

Ocid

Did the price go up? Just looked at the page and it now works out about £1200 whereas before a pro license used to be £1000.

New features look good but still kinda disappointing to see no new mono.

Kinda wondering at this point how much Xamarian are really looking for. Something F***ing stupid like €50m?

34. RC-1290

RC-1290

About the new Unified Shader Architecture.
    What does it mean for existing shaders? Are surface shaders deprecated?
    Does it still use Cg and HLSL?
    Does that mean features like Tessellation and Compute on OpenGL?

35. Korindian

Korindian

Just wanted to chime in and say great job Unity Technologies! I'm really looking forward to playing with all the new features once Unity 5 comes out.

36. jonkuze

jonkuze

BTW will you guys create a new Forum Category for WebGL under the Unity Community Support ? Just like you have for Flash Development. I would think so, but nice to have confirmation from you guys. I will be sure to wait for it so I can post all my WebGL related support questions there if so.

37. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes, we'll do that.

38. VIC20

VIC20

+1

more info please. Can we use the new lighting with Cg Shaders?

39. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

No, the price has always been $1500. That gets currency converted into Euro, and I guess you've currency converted into pounds. Currencies to change with respect to each other, but the base pricing remains the same.

40. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

When does the limited-time lower upgrade cost end?

41. Parallaxe

Parallaxe

Only recently I bought Unity Pro. In the Asset Store it says that I'm eligible for a reduced upgrade/pre-order price of $600

My question is, how long is this reduced upgrade/pre-order price of $600 valid? By when would I have to pay the regular upgrade price of $750?

--> makeshiftwings has posted the same question at the same time. LaneFox and Steve Tack have answered it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  42. LaneFox

LaneFox

At official release. Check the FAQ.

43. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

When 5.x ships.

44. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Awesome work guys, looking forward to trying out these amazing new features. :)

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

How about you just get off your butt and buy it? unity is enabling a fair old income from all your assets surely ;)

46. jashan

jashan

Can't you guys just buy Xamarin? To be honest, they seem to really really suck big time. IMHO, Unity is almost a reasonable Xamarin replacement - maybe that's why they are scared and bite? I did consider doing some projects with Xamarin but then I looked at their licensing and decided to no longer consider that an option, kkthxbye ;-)

Or maybe you could have a deal with Microsoft and replace Mono with .NET? It's currently not multiplatform AFAIK ... but ... as Xamarin seemingly destroyed Mono, maybe it's time to create a replacement ... which will probably destroy Xamarin but honestly, if they are preventing us from getting a current scripting environment, that's what they perfectly deserve ... as UT seemingly can work well with the PhysX, guys, the Substance guys, the FMOD guys, the Beast guys, the Umbra guys ... and all the other folks I can't think of quickly enough now ... it really looks very much like the problem here is Xamarin and not UT ... so ... use the force, Luke ;-)

Either way, I'll be getting Unity 5 ASAP and consider the payment support on the quest to solve that issue (and if throwing money at lawyers doesn't help, maybe you should try a different approach ... lawyers are evil - you should throw money at teachers instead so the next generation has less assholes that ruin the fun for everyone ;-) ).

CelticKnight likes this.
  47. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

As nice as all those features sound I think some of those should have made it in 4.X instead of postponing:
    -64-bit Unity editor
    -2D Physics effectors
    -Navmesh updates

As it stands now I feel the 4.x cycle was pretty boring if not even disappointing. O.k. Mecanim got improved, the long overdue 2D-Tools have been and GUI will be added. While DX11 support and Linux export sound nice I wouldn't call them biggies. Also I think the overall quality improved especially for new features. Thanks for that.
    However, while it is good to get some basics right it feels like the customer had to pay for UT's shortfalls. With this background it just not feels fair to postpone all those features to 5.x. I'm a bit frustrated now and congratulate every paying customer who has skipped 4.x or left Unity for good.

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Will projects of 4.3.4 be readilly upgradable to Unity 5 with asset store plugins support ?

Or radical changes will render porting not possible ?

Any info on compatibility ?

The 64bit editor is amazing news :)

Also if i buy Unity 5 Pro at a later time (not pre-order, after release), will i be able to use Unity 4 Pro for my old project if i cant port it over to Unity 5 ? I am using Unity 4.3.4 free

I mostly use Skyshop, FXLab, ORK Framework and Smoothmoves for my project

49. Ocid

Ocid

Yeah it always was that but after pricing it in euros then converting that to pounds it ended up at about £1000 but now works out at £1200ish.

50. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

So, during 4.x we added, or will add the following features:

-Mecanim
    -Linux, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Windows 8 deployment targets
    -2D
    -DirectX 11 rendering
    -OpenGL ES 3.0 rendering
    -Cross-platform dynamic fonts with text markup
    -New GUI

Along with hundreds of minor features and fixes. I mean, how many updates do you expect to get during a release cycle? I think that this was a pretty good deal, and hope that 5.x will deliver even more exciting functionality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.