Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogue Station, 7DRL Success / Procedural Death Jam Entry

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by PTrefall, Mar 17, 2014.

1. PTrefall

PTrefall

You are awoken a clone on a space station wrack drifting in space, falling apart. Systems fail and the hull breaches, energy is sparse and oxygen is leaking; the broken rescue beacon is your only hope! But who knows how long this old wrack can stay together, or which scavengers it might attract…

Please go to the game's Rogue Basin page for latest version of the game:
    http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Rogue_Station

Attached Files:

2. misterPantoni

misterPantoni

This is great... I love it!

3. PTrefall

PTrefall

Thank you for playing and loving :)

4. PTrefall

PTrefall

Game Hunter has Let's Play'ed Rogue Station:

Space roguelikes are great because you already feel cramped, and this game takes it to the next level. A lot of the core gameplay is here and it plays really well! I’d hope for a little more to do with a couple of patches, but I think I could entertain myself with this for a good while as-is.

Ideally, scavenging could be a little more intelligently-plannable, like being able to access consoles from all over the station that show, roughly, the location and name of each room. Naturally more items/electronics to interact with will pump things up, and making the station a bit bigger could address the somewhat-shortness of the game. The pace is fine, so only take it to its natural progression, but I could stand for maybe five more minutess of “interesting to-dos” after activating the end-game countdown.

Overall Thoughts:
    Completely different approach this time around, and I think it paid off handsomely. While there could be some bits and pieces added, making a really nice 15-30min game overall, Rogue Station performs the various tasks of building a roguelike admirably, and it plays well to boot! Ultimately the gameplay is pretty simple, but you have to be constantly aware of your semi-invisible surroundings and approach each area with caution and restraint. The “countdown timer” seems awfully long, though, especially given what’s available to throw things off after it begins, but it’s a good idea with the right combination of additional obstacles. I hope to see this fleshed out over time!

5. PTrefall

PTrefall

6. PTrefall

PTrefall

Rogue Station Patch 1 released.

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Rogue_Station

Patch 1 Changelist:
    - Shift to walk diagonally doesn't have the same time-out as numkey diagonal movement.
    - Room in room placement don't account for rooms placing things on top of each other, so in such situations you might get station equipment under other station equipment, or hidden under other things.
    - There's been one report of trouble playing the game on Windows 8. Hopefully the new web player version will work, but this remain untested.
    - There's some issues related to starting a new game after game over / game won. Shutting down the game and starting it again is the only solution for now.
    - There's only a 5% chance for an air generator to spawn in a room, so on a lot of levels there's not even a single spawn of air generators.
    - There should be a choking sound when you start getting into orange levels of choking due to lack of air. It's hard noticing the messages in the log when there's no sound attached to it.
    - Doesn't support hjkl-yubn keymapping yet.
    - Pressing Escape while in a station equipment menu or ability menu should exit that menu, not take you to the main menu.
    - The introduction text says 'wrack', when it should say 'wreckage'.
    - One should be able to 'look' at stuff without actually bumping into it to find out what it is.
    - Shooting could do with some improvements.
    - Need to take more control over how weapons, repair kits and broken equipment is distributed, so that all games are winnable and all games share a similar difficulty level. Right now it's too random, and no guarantee that a game is winnable.
    - There should be a chance that a dead invader could hold a repair kit (searchable), to prevent no-win situations.
    - Need to tweak the Transport cost a bit.
    - There should be a rescue beacon counter.
    - Many minor fixes.