Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RAPTORS - become a dinosaur - prototype (3D TPP game)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kubold, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Kubold

Kubold

Hello!

Some time ago, I spent a month or two developing a protptype for a game, in which you are a Dromaeosaurus in late cretaceous period. You were supposed to be a pack leader, hunt other dinosaurs, fight for territory, survive etc.

This was to be either a survival game sandbox, a multiplayer team game (2 raptor packs fighting each other) or personally my favorite - a single player story game, about the dinosaur apocalypse (like, literally, survive the meteorite hit).

Now, watch the videos, download the build, and please tell me - does it have any potential?
    I need feedback mostly about the climate and 'how much would you want to play this' if it was polished.

$Raptors_Title.jpg

$Dino5-150x150.jpg $Dino2-150x150.jpg $Dino3-150x150.jpg

[video=youtube_share;yle0FaY8t4E]http://youtu.be/yle0FaY8t4E

Links to build:
    Raptors prototype for Windows
    Raptors prototype for Mac

Web page: http://www.kubold.com/?page_id=189

Kubold

2. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

Wow, it looks amazing! You did a tremendous job! I think this has potential. Maybe if you added some dinosaur facts in the story you could also make it somewhat educational. I think that would appeal to the dinosaurs fans out there.

x_african_warrior_x likes this.
  3. Mister-D

Mister-D

animations look smooth! well done

ninjatoothless likes this.
  4. GeneBox

GeneBox

This is amazing, great job!

5. duclaw

duclaw

i just have one thing to say, I WILL PLAY THE HELL OUT OF YOUR GAME when its done :D

6. TVE

TVE

All I can say, is ..................................That game is beautiful, looks like good gameplay too. Can't wait to see it progress! :] Good Luck!

7. FBTH

FBTH

That looks fantastic! I really enjoy how that looks and how it seems to feel :D

8. Teh Random Hobo

Teh Random Hobo

That is awesome, good job :smile:

9. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

This definitely has potential to be something. I even have a quick treatment for a game that features such 'creatures'. If you're interested in hearing my idea just send me a message and I'll type up the essentials for it.

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Impressive - you made this alone? In a couple months? Jeez put a year into this and really drop some jaws lol

11. Andreapigna

Andreapigna

I really like the environment and the idea, but i find the camera effect very annoying and, (idk, maybe it's my computer that lags) i've got some difficulties starting an attack against another dinosaur. Also...do they ever die? :) Anyway, i find this project has potential and you can make it a very good game, so keep up the good work!

12. TopThreat

TopThreat

Nice Job! I cannot wait to see what this will be like in another 6 months!! I also like the idea someone mentioned about adding some facts into the mix. Maybe make those optional for people that want to learn more about them?

13. fredr92

fredr92

Very cool :) Very good animations and 3dmodels, its Nice too see someone do something New that no one else has done before , hope Your game goes well ! I will defintly check it out

14. clearrose

clearrose

YES !!! something with Raptors, I love It ;) !

15. FBTH

FBTH

Anything new on the game? :D

16. masterofhiphop03

masterofhiphop03

iI LOVE THIS GAME CAN'T WAIT TILL IT IS FINISHED!

17. Kubold

Kubold

18. primus88

primus88

Sorry to see this.
    You could always team up with someone else to make a survival game. There is someone making a survival game set in prehistoric times, maybe he needs help with 3d art and animations.

Best of luck!

19. Kubold

Kubold

Why sorry? I personally can't wait for Battlegrounds :). I made this raptor prototype (like 2 years ago), because I wanted to play a game like this.
    Right now I'm developing a completly different game for almost a year now. It's good that somebody, except me, spotted the complete lack of dino simulators on the market.

20. primus88

primus88

Well I didn't knew how much this could affect you :)
    What is your new project about? I'm looking for some 3d art guy to do a project. Let me know if you need a programmer.

Best of luck!

21. Kubold

Kubold

http://www.alienstrollsanddragons.com/ - that's what I'm working on right now.

Heh, I just found out why this Raptors game is suddenly live again - a Youtuber made a video about it like 3 days ago. I wonder how he found out about it (word of mouth?) :)

22. primus88

primus88

Holly mother of god this looks good. The character is really sexy.
    Do you need any help with the game? (coding, level design, marketing)

Let me know.

23. Kubold

Kubold

Yeah, marketing :D Just spread the word :)

I'm working on almost 0 budget, but I like it. Can't hire no one, so total independence.

24. Pythonixx

Pythonixx

I would definitely buy this. There are too few games where you can play as a dinosaur.

25. raptorpro

raptorpro

PWZ MAKE MORE I WANT IT TO BEH GOOOD :D AND NOT DEAD ':D

26. Kubold

Kubold

But Dinosaur Battlegrounds - the idea is IDENTICAL, except way better graphics. Well, unless they never release it. It happened to many kickstarter projects before.

EDIT: Waaaait.... I just looked more closely on their kickstarter. They raised how much? $11.000?! That's like 3 months of food and rent for 3 guys and the money's gone. How come they are still making it?

27. SaurianGame

SaurianGame

Hello there Kubold and RAPTORS fans,

We're also working on a game that puts the player into the role of one of several different types of dinosaurs in a dynamic recreation of the Hell Creek ecosystem (you know, that place with Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Ankylosaurus and Pachychephalosaurus and plenty more all bumping elbows.)

You can find out more at our Facebook and IndieDB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/sauriangame
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/saurian

We're working towards a playable demo and a crowd-funding campaign

Drop us a line sometime, we've played your demo and liked what we saw.

The Saurian Team

28. primus88

primus88

Nice thread hijacking :)))

29. Kubold

Kubold

Heheh, right? ;)

I don't mind though. Saurian and Battleground guys, just keep in mind that the dinosaurs is what people will come for, but the gameplay will be something that they stay for. And please, invest in animations as much as you can. If you do a poor job, I'm going to have to take over your dino modellers and finish raptors ;)

I take it both Battlegrounds and Saurian are going to release a playable soon, like in a month or so? This will be an interesting deathmatch :)

30. Jaqal

Jaqal

@SaurianGame That was a really lame thing to post on someone else's thread. I would never support your game solely because of that.

Anyways kubold your game looks amazing. Love the animations.

ninjatoothless and FBTH like this.
  31. N1warhead

N1warhead

Looking great. LOL I never knew anyone was making a Dino game until I started one. I guess it's like they say about cars. You never realized how many there are until you get one, then your like dang my car ain't so special lol.

But game is looking great, hope mine looks as good as yours :)

32. Kubold

Kubold

Suddenly - 100000 dino games :). Sandbox survival multiplayer everyone?

33. Jaqal

Jaqal

There may be many being made but how many will actually be completed? Out of those how many will even be enjoyable and or profitable as well?

When I started my project I didn't even intend on it using dinosaurs. I just wanted to make a game I would really enjoy playing that allowed me to use my creativity. If I didn't I knew i'd give up somewhere along the line. After I saw how many other survival games were being made I added dinos to set it apart. Now I see all the dino games so I'm adding other elements to set it even further apart from the crowd. When developing as an indie it is critical to always be prepared to change design elements at any time if you don't want to get lost in the crowd of ever increasing similar games.

34. N1warhead

N1warhead

Jaqal - I agree!

I have the Idea to make a Dinosaur Hunting game, then WAM, as Kublod said 10,000 Dino Games lol.

Now it's trying to figure out how to set apart from competition, that's where like you said creativity to set you apart.

35. Kubold

Kubold

It kind of sucks though, that instead making a game you really want to make, you have to think how to change it, so it's standing out more. You know - you want to make it about deinonychus, but instead you say "...ok, I hate stegosaurus, but that's my only option now..." ;)

Jaqal likes this.
  36. N1warhead

N1warhead

Hahahaha yeah I hear ya bro.

37. Jaqal

Jaqal

Lol yep!

I started off wanting to do generic survival game on an island. I thought my idea was so great and revolutionary. Then I seen 100 more just like it. So I added dinos...then I see a few more that are similar. So I start adding more and more unique features like cavemen instead of savages or zombies and a backstory about time travel which opens up a whole slew of options in itself. Now my entire framework is done and there is nothing like it! Maybe not exactly how I envisioned it but it is my creation and it is unique! There will always be someone who it doesn't apeal to but it's much better than trying to satisfy everyone.

It does suck to not be able to make a game exactly how you would like but there are still so many routes you can take with it!

38. N1warhead

N1warhead

Heh yeah..... I hear you, I think the only thing that will make my game Unique is my experience with Neural Networking.
    To make the Dino's as life like as Science can explain at this point, at least as fast as computers can react to things and learn. Nothing can obviously learn as fast as a Human, but could Dinosaurs do that? Nobody can really know the answer to that unless we cloned one, one day - how awesome would that be! lol.
    So all I have to work with is scientific studies and research and just implement that into the game.

But aside from that, I still think I need an idea that is different than the rest.

39. ContinentalDrift

ContinentalDrift

I know where both of you guys come from. Admittedly, I had this idea for an Ice Age sim myself in the past year, but I've been afraid of being called a ripoff as well.

Anyways, I hope you return to this in the future Kubold. This was under my radar for quite some time. I actually tried this back in March, I believe? While my computer at the time couldn't ply it well due to lag, it didn't stagger my hopes into it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  40. Kubold

Kubold

This demo comes from like 2 years ago. I was a beginner at Unity back then, so my optimization skills was pretty much non existent. I don't think there is any culling in this, water is a gigantic "let's render everything twice!" shader, and on top of all I think there's a navmesh everywhere, even on tree tops. I also think all the textures are default 1024s with no mip mapping, since I didn't know what it is back then. In short - it's a prototype :)

41. ContinentalDrift

ContinentalDrift

I understand. But like I said, didn't bother me any.

42. ZoopalTyrano

ZoopalTyrano

Kubold this prototype is amazing! Well for a prototype cx I really hope you finish this game. I like the idea of creating a pack and running around wrecking other packs and hunting pray claiming a territory leveling up your raptor with spikes and more feathers to add attack power speed and defense. Also attacking other big predators like Allosaurus or T-Rex, I would play it even if Battlegrounds came out. Please continue making this game I don't know if your going to do it like anything I explained but even if you dont i cant wait to play it!!!! :D

43. bahteles

bahteles

Pretty cool, nice animations!

44. iamrbank

iamrbank

Not Working, am I missing something?

45. Kubold

Kubold

Who knows. It's a prototype from 2 years ago, it has the right to not work :/

46. Babyshades

Babyshades

I loved it I cant wait till its an easier download and quicker quality i had it on the fastest still Lagged BIG time I could not sniff or figure out how still even on low quality and the amount of Lag its better than Wolf Quest. :D ill tell all my friends on DinoStorm.com :O

47. senji benji

senji benji

This inspired me to get Unity working. I struggled getting Roll-A-Ball working, and thanks to DeeJayVee's girlfriend spotting a typo, copying and pasting THAT script, and correcting it, I got it going. I needed a primer. Now I modified it to an Eternal Pinball machine. This looks interesting. What is the premise for this game? Catching other animals or is it just a start? Keep up the good work. I'm still working with specular red balls, got a ways to go yet.

48. Kubold

Kubold

It was supposed to be a single player action adventure. Believe it or not, I think I could make a "speechless" story for this one brave Dromaeosaurus, using visual and situation based storytelling. A little bit of survival, a little bit of Tomb Raider/Uncharted.

Actually, when you think of it, first Tomb Raiders were also "speechless" and it worked very well. You don't really need your character to speak to have an interesting adventure :)

49. Dragonkinged

Dragonkinged

Please Please make this game an app on google play for Android,I really want to play but unfortunately my PC is in the shop cause of malware from another site

50. Kubold

Kubold

Heh, you seriously think that I will port this super old game to mobile, faster then the shop will fix your hard drive? :D

ninjatoothless and Razputin like this.