Search Unity

Shootin' Stuff! A comedy FPS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by thamolas, Mar 17, 2014.

1. thamolas

thamolas

In Shootin' Stuff, you are the host of a reality TV hunting show. You have to keep ratings high without getting killed. Every "episode" features a wacky trophy kill and you start with a single weapon and a crowbar.

$BWScreencap1.jpg

My team made a sketch comedy pilot for comedy Central that didn't get picked up. So now I'm making it into a first person shooter. The idea is to give it old school sandboxy game play.

Right now, I have 3 levels pretty much done and another one in the works. The character controller is set up, the AI works, and enemies can fight/flee in melee or with guns of their own. The first level is a wide open "hunting" level and I'm adding a tutorial mode to it so that I can have a playable demo out soon.

I'm starting this dev thread a little late because I was initially inspired by GiGi's challenge:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/184797-The-answer-to-every-Can-it-be-done-and-I-ve-lost-my-way-post

Complete:
    * Opening video
    * A basic menu system with About (instructions), Options, High Scores (saved online), simple loading screen, music, etc.
    * An integrated HUD with show Rating (stars), Health (hearts), clips and ammo
    * First person controller with multiple weapons
    * A goals-type of screen leading into level, outlining the starting weapon and trophy to complete
    * Level 1, a wide-open nature level with a farm, a ruined facility, animals galore, thew trophy monster and a lot of hidden goodies
    * AI with Pathfinding, blood, guts, ragdolls, etc.
    * Level 2, a fast-paced sci fi level with a lot of monsters and teleporters
    * Level 3, a psychedelic, weird desert level with Road Warrior-esque enemies and a dragon
    * Unique sci fi weapon(s)

Currently Working On:
    * Voiceovers
    * (More) Sound fx
    * More video clips and loading screens
    * Level 4, a weird Island level

To Do Some Time Soon:
    * Level 5 - a city level with zombies

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. thamolas

thamolas

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  3. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

The second image didn't get attached properly by the looks of things. But man that looks sick! Love the car, did you do that yourself?
    Keen to see how you go with the gore system, blood, dismemberment, etc. Are characters going to have damage models in which you can break apart like Soldier of Fortune? (Like taking apart pieces of their head)

4. thamolas

thamolas

Thanks! I took an existing model, modified it and changed the materials/textures/etc. You can't see it in the screenshot, but it has a funny confederate flag on the roof.

I initially thought about going that route, but I thought making twitchy, exploding ragdolls (with bouncing gore) was funnier. I might make it more sophisticated when I make a multiplayer version, but that's a long way off.

5. thamolas

thamolas

Update: Hilariously, (in the past) I was able to put menus together in a day and a half and yet I've been screwing around with lightmapping a scene for FOUR DAYS STRAIGHT. And I know for a fact that I'll have to spend at least two more days messing with it - just to get one scene right. Then I have to do the other one. the good news is that I'm dangerously close to implementing the 2nd level and adding a controller and "stuff" to it. If I hadn't hit the lightmap bump in the road, it'd be done by now!

6. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Yeah that could be funny. Like how they have it in Loadout? That game cracks me up.
    I could still see the comedy in a guy running around with half his chest blown out and his esophagus hanging out his throat xD

As maybe a death animation or even more like: How the hell are you still alive?
    A comedic take on the modern game where people can take rockets to the face, and just hide behind a wall to revive xD

7. thamolas

thamolas

This weekend, John Joyner and TBE are shooting some stuff (video) for the official Shootin' Stuff! trailer. We're also shooting some stuff for the (planned) official Kickstarter video. Some of this footage might make it into the game in addition to the footage we already have.

On another front, I finally got most of the lightmapping done for the new map. Lightmapping isn't excruciating or difficult, but it is a terribly slow process. Now I can load the new level (with this game, I use "map" and "level" interchangeably) into the game and add AI and monsters, hopefully with minimal hiccups, and flesh out the level with "stuff". I like stuff. You like stuff. Stuff is good. It's half of the game's title.

I don't have a special pic to share right now, but internet experts across the world agree that every post needs a pic or it will be ignored, so here you go:

$SockTop.jpg

8. kvick

kvick

lol this sounds great

9. thamolas

thamolas

Thanks!

10. thamolas

thamolas

$evildead.jpg

The 1st official trailer was released today!

Shootin' Stuff! will launch a Kickstarter campaign on June 2nd. The official trailer is up and the demo is almost ready. A Steam Greenlight Concepts page has been created and a regular Greenlight page will go up the same day as the Kickstarter.

The game is on schedule for a winter release and Multiplayer is being developed in addition to the Single Player game.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  11. thamolas

thamolas

12. thamolas

thamolas