Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Dream Knights. A NEW-AGE 3D PLATFORMER

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by BokuDev, Mar 15, 2014.

1. BokuDev

BokuDev

Dream Knights
    Basis
    Dream Knights is a 3D platformer in the making with the inspirations of N64 classics, layered with gauntlet like fantasy role playing game co-op, mixed with dark-souls inspired combat. Many have been suggesting the game is a mix of Super Mario Brothers 3D platformers and Dark Souls.

TWITTER DAILY UPDATES!
    : https://twitter.com/TheeWhiteReaper

Development Screen shot of the week

(Lance entering the Dark Plane)

Latest YouTube Video of Dream Knights?

Idea
    Dream Knights redefines 4 player co-op in a 3D platformer. Dream Knights does away with tacked on 4 player co-op, and has co-op that matters. The game with more players will generate more puzzles, enemy's, and various other mechanics depending on how many players are present. The end goal of each mission will also need all 4 players to reach and end the level. The games design choices are meant to try and find that perfect blend of 3D Platformer mixed with a 3D action combat based game. (You can still play the game in single player or 1-4 local split-screen)

How the game works
    Each dream zone "Forest, Desert, Snow, Water," Etc. consists of about 10-20 levels and a final temple/dungeon. Levels are generally POINT A to POINT B platforming challenges that fit the theme of the zone. After each level you will collect a courage shard! Collecting all the courage shards in a zone and completing the temple will unlock a new ability for the next zone!

(Lance on top of a building in the Dream Hub)

Story

Dream Knights is about a 12 year old child named Lance who catches a Demon stealing his Baby brother. Lance follows him into the Dream realm "The Astral Plane" and has to storm his castle in the hopes of rescuing his little brother.

(Game-Over screen after running out of lives. Demon and monsters laugh at your failure!)

Audience
    The game is trying to be beautiful, and cute but yet tell a dark and somewhat serious story, between the spiritual battle and confrontation of the Demon and child. In turn I tried making some more darker adult themes mixed in like subtle blood and light cute gore. I hope fans will enjoy these cues in similar fashions to EarthBound/Mother, and Binding Of Issac. Both games that I found cute and beautiful, but with more serious and dark story tones.

(Monsters killing Blue Knight.)

(Day/night cycle of the Bright Plane HUB)

Whats the development plan for just one Man working on it?
    Development for Dream Knights will take some time, as I want this to be a diamond in the ruff, and not a sped up failure. I am just one guy working on the game every day tirelessly, but I plan to finish and ship the product sometime in 2017-2018ish. You can help development, by downloading the free demo/early builds of the game and give feedback.

You can check out the collaboration thread I made for the game here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dream-knights-commission-work-concept-artist-or-c-programmer.322386/

FUTURE HOLDS:
    -New steam concept page
    -Possible Desura alpha funding early-mid 2015
    -Kickstarter in early-mid 2015
    -Steam Greenlight submissions-
    -Steam early access (Only once the main 20+adventure is done, the competitive and other modes would be updates along with bugfixes).
    -Any other platforms/stores the game can get into. (Crossed fingers for Wii-U)

Planned features for the game?

-Local 4 player splitscreen co-op and competitive.
    -Mini games for up to 1-4 players.
    -Competitive mode (Capture the flag and death match)
    -Oculus Rift VR Support (PC)
    -PC, Mac, Linux, and (hopefully Wii U version if kickstarter in 2015 goes well)
    -20 hour+ adventure mode

DOWNLOAD DEMOS LINKS:
    (COMING SOON: PUBLIC PROTOTYPE TEST)

Extra Links outside of the Unity thread?
    TWITTER
    : https://twitter.com/TheeWhiteReaper
    YOUTUBE:http://www.youtube.com/user/fredrick300
    FACEBOOK:https://www.facebook.com/bluevalorstudios?fref=nf
    COMPOSERS SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/aron-kramer

Future updates on development will be constantly posted below!

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

I love the idea, and the characters are extremly cute. Cant' wait to see more!

3. Destran

Destran

Looks really cool!

Edit: Any idea when a demo might be available?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. BokuDev

BokuDev

3/16/2014 Update: Green Knights Test Room is finished!

So I finished Green Knights test room, and uploaded a video! You can watch it here
    [video=youtube_share;IKe-vb4I2YE]http://youtu.be/IKe-vb4I2YE

The test level was using assets that are going to be used in the public prototype fire levels. Up next will be Red Knights test room! Yellow and red are going to be the hardest ones for sure, and at the most both will completed and have videos up by this Friday. (Mainly cause their abilities need to bring more to the table.)

Red Knight is a magic user, and shoots fireballs at enemy's. I need to figure out the best way to script this, so ugh. His test room will be the biggest hurdle out all 4 characters haha.

-Also, Thank you Destran!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  5. 0tacun

0tacun

I watched some videos, looked like fun! :) I like your idea and the physics interaction and I'm curious how your game will evolve.

I would like to give a little feedback: I found the camera a little bit to hasty, it looked like it was hard to do precise jumps. Maybe when the camera would be a little calmer it would also be better to look at it (think of Super Mario 64).

Keep it up!

6. BokuDev

BokuDev

Thank you! I love feedback it really helps the game! The camera might have looked a little bit too hasty, due to the fact I was using the keyboard/mouse controls. Since WASD is to move the character, Q and E are for turning the camera left and right. Hitting just two keys for left and right can/will probably result in some fast camera movements. I'm deff going to look into that.

The game is also running great with Xbox 360 controllers plugged in! The camera's left and right movements, and control over the Knights really does feel better than the keyboard. I'm going to make sure the final product has both keyboard/gamepad options through.

Not sure if I should really look at Super Mario 64's camera. The thing was great at the time, but it was a combination of a fixed camera positions/and using the C buttons on the N64 controller to flip its position. I want Cube Knights (during gameplay) to always let the player to decide where to position the camera, rather than fixed camera positions. (hence how in splitscreen co-op, players can move away from each-other and explore apart from each-other)

I do want to find more fluidity in the character movement, and platforming aspect like Super Mario 64 through. I remember as I kid the n64 controller's one analog stick was terrible on my thumb. Even so, Mario moved amazingly well. Way better than any-other 3D platformer at the time. (Until Banjo Kazooie lol)

7. Greg-Sergeant

Greg-Sergeant

Looks great! You could make it so the player can hang onto that big enemy if you parent a platform or hanging ladder for them - shadow of the colossus style!

Thanks for the Physics Package Plug, here's how i would stop the player from spamming fire:

// Instantiate a rigidbody then set the velocity

var fireRate : float;
    var projectile : Rigidbody;
    var lastShotTime : float;

function Update () {
    // Ctrl was pressed, launch a projectile
    if (Input.GetButtonDown("Fire1") fireRate + lastShotTime < Time.time) {
    // Instantiate the projectile at the position and rotation of this transform
    var clone : Rigidbody;
    clone = Instantiate(projectile, transform.position, transform.rotation);

// Give the cloned object an initial velocity along the current
    // object's Z axis
    clone.velocity = transform.TransformDirection (Vector3.forward * 20);

//record last shot
    lastShotTime = Time.time;
    }
    }

8. BokuDev

BokuDev

Heres another sneak peek of Red Knights test room!

http://gyazo.com/93992a079eb55a38cf4458fbff08f7b7 (remember to click MP4)

I originally had in mind having his test room use Desert assets but, I felt like I really wanted to play around with ice, and snow particles. ^-^
    You can see him shoot a single fireball in that gyazo as well, and slide on the icy floor. Other than Red Knights test room at the moment, setting up NPC's that talk the player/dialog systems has been a pain lately. Nothing is working with the current camera. and hopefully I can get dialog working to the first prototype test build.

As for the ice you see in the gyazo;
    The ice keeps you still and slides you across, and the only way to stop is to shake the left thumb stick/hit all the WASD keys quickly/jump allot.

I already feel like Red Knights test room will go quickly, and Yellows room will be the hardest since I still need to think of the best possible ability for her to have/use. Some ideas are, gliding, hovering after a jump, shooting a projectile that heals teammates, being a tank with lots of health/armor, etc etc.

After all, Yellow Knight is a priest!

9. BokuDev

BokuDev

3/20/2014

I finished Red Knights test room! Here is a link to the video!
    [video=youtube_share;WXUkXSQJuvc]http://youtu.be/WXUkXSQJuvc

I also started playing around with new effects, GUI elements, and ranged attacks. The Xbox 360 gampad now works with the game again, and you can see the GUI reflecting that. The buttons will later be colored to match the gamepad, and the directional pad will have functions later in development. (For now it will be an optional form of movement besides keyboard, or left thumb stick).

Here is a full change-log since the last video:
    -Added the Snow variants of the monsters.
    -Added Snow weather effects
    -Added Ice floors, these make the player slide across without being able to move. The only way to gain control is to keep hitting the jump button.
    -Added an attack button. (Since I don't have Punching/melee attacks in the game yet, Ranged attacked will fill that gap for now. (and still be there when melee attacks come)
    Ranged attacks work for every Knight. Each Knight uses their own magic type as a projectile.
    -Added GUI buttons (these will have icons showing what button does what; for example an arrow pointing up to jump, or a fireball showing the attack button)
    -Added GUI version. (This is a watermark basically at the bottom of the screen showing what stage the game is in.)
    -Added GUI D pad. (This doesn't do anything right now besides show that the player can move in all these directions. In the future I want the D pad to cycle through items/weapons)

Up next is Yellow Knights test room! Her test room will be taking place in the sky, to reflect the future builds/versions for the sky land/levels of the game. Her powers are to shoot a light ball (as oppose to Red Knights fireball). Her light ball can heal teammates if she hits one with it, and does damage to enemy's as well. Keep in mind Red Knights fireballs do the most damage.

Here is a sneak peek gyazo so far with her animations and lightball working! (Remember to hit MP4)
    http://gyazo.com/51aa8e147bbab55e00dcb2bc8dc1474c

10. 0tacun

0tacun

It is me again! :) Since feedback on this forum is a rare thing and I want to support you somehow, I have something more what I noticed. Maybe you haven't realized the one or the other, as I know myself very well how easy it is to overlook something. :)

I watched your red knight video, and it looked very varied! The idea that every knight has it own gameplay is pretty cool. Now I noticed in the video that you were killing enemys more easier with a stomp on the head than with fireballs :) Maybe a simple lookon system would help to shoot fireballs. Furthermore the enemy was pretty powerless against you when you were above him.

Just wanted to give some feedback, keep it up!

11. BokuDev

BokuDev

I recoded the scripts for co-op (they got wiped when PPK updated awhile ago). Not sure my scripts in my project get wiped with every PPK update (and my tags) but I will make sure to save them in notepad before I download the next PPK update! Now I'm in the process of making Yellow Knights test room just be the tutorial, and il show it in a video with two players! It will be killing 2 bird with one stone. The final test room video, and early co-op gameplay!

Iv been experimenting with color trails. They leave the knights color trailing behind them when the knights run! It looks pretty cool in co-op to see all 4 color trails running along together. (I'm thinking about turning down how large it is through)

Here is a GIF of the color trails (Remember to click MP4)
    http://gyazo.com/2be4d7d81ec02ded1e0bb5c618790024

The video for this tutorial/test room should be sometime late tomorrow. Things are really moving into high gears as the game is slowly getting closer and closer to a public demo/Prototype test! After tomorrows testroom/tutorial/co-op video all in one, il go back to my daily torture of modeling buildings alone :'D (I need to model a lot of buildings for the hub prototype town.) That, and make the first 4 playable missions/levels of the game. (not counting all the testrooms and tutorial of course)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  12. Destran

Destran

Hi I came back to WIP forums just to check on the progress of this game. I feel bad because my last post was pretty short and as Otacun said " Since feedback on this forum is a rare thing and I want to support you somehow" I just wanted to tell you that it is very clear that a lot of hardwork has gone into this project. The gameplay/concept seems very fresh and enticing, the models look very cool (especially the rocks at like 1:09 in the red knight video), the one eyed blobs kind of remind me of Runescape, not sure if you ever played that game. The snow effect is very cool, the trees look amazing. The animation on the player is very fluid and cute. My two critiques/questions would be: The damage audio being played when you attack the wooden barricades, I don't find anything wrong with that, just was curious if it was intentional? And also, the health was very hard to see, I didn't even notice it was there until the video was almost over. Maybe make it a bit bigger or more obvious. Just my 2 cents. But besides for the health thing everything else looks fabulous and I'm excited to try out a demo

13. Brendonm17

Brendonm17

Found your thread fredrick, ill create a thread once I have a better story for my game. I don't even have a name for it yet o_O.. But like you said, I won't forget to mention you in my thread AND in my game. (Btw, your town is looking great. keep it up!)

14. BokuDev

BokuDev

I still have a lot to do before I put out the public prototype demo test. The gears are moving along everyday getting closer and closer, but I never want to promise anything and break it. I have the main issue of worrying it won't be good enough and I put out a crappy demo. I will however put out a guess that for sure I will be done and finished for a demo within the next 1-4 months. Hell, it could be 4 weeks from now, or even 2 but; I just can't promise anything right now.

I will however updates this thread everyday with information updates, so you know for sure development is moving forward to that. Thanks for asking!

15. BokuDev

BokuDev

Thanks for checking out the thread! I can't wait to see the thread for you're game! I thought that picture of 2 player co-op you showed me already had me sold, but I understand if you feel you need a compelling story.

Thanks for town complement! I really needed that after I worry the building won't look good enough after the hours of work that goes into creating them. I won't forget to link you're game/thread here ether no worries.

16. BokuDev

BokuDev

Spent the entirety of today working on the first OST for Cube Knights with my father! (Hes a very good professional composer).
    This song is for Castle Town's (was prototype town before) exploration. Feel feel to the watch the video and listen for yourself! I hope the song will be a good song to play the background while players will run around the town exploring!

[video=youtube_share;jPGylOYj5-A]http://youtu.be/jPGylOYj5-A

17. BokuDev

BokuDev

A lot of work has gone lately has gone into concept art, programming, music, and the tutorial/yellow knights testing room. (Also have been in talks with someone about help on coding online Muiltiplayer.

Some of that programming is a crude NPC dialog system iv been working on. Its very crude and WILL be replaced in the future by something that really gives a next gen-3D platformer feel/something way more appealing.

Here is a picture of the crude NPC-Dialog system placeholder
    http://gyazo.com/6fb56a9296f9e7d692b68e03caae22c7

You can also spot changes to the GUI to match the buttons of the Xbox 360 gamepad even more now. The crude NPC dialog system functions well, but still lacks an appealing look and feel. It also looks strange/hard to read if there is a texture behind it that is white. (I'm going to look into font changes/better things soon). This is great thing to have for the SUPER early prototype builds as its still alright in single player; local split-screen co-op can somewhat make the text a little harder to read as well.

The choices in dialog are also selected by the mouse and not the Xbox 360 gamepad. (Through this is counter for now by having the player just walk away from an NPC with a controller to end the dialog regardless)
    All the tips on the tutorial (The 3D text telling you to use WASD to move or space to jump, or k to grab) are gone as well and replaced by the NPC turtles (Turtles don't quite fit this void but are placeholder) as well.

Expect more OST, gameplay with co-op on the tutorial, pictures of "Castle Town" or GUI/programming updates soon.

EDIT: I just found OpenGUI, I'm going to play around with this for bit!
    https://github.com/mrzapp/opengui/releases/tag/v0.9-beta-6
    Pretty damn cool!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  18. BokuDev

BokuDev

Thanks Destran, sorry it took me so long to reply iv been going crazy with hard work! I really am thankful for the feedback, it really helps my decisions on the game. I never played Runescape, as I was a major Nintendo fan as a kid when it blew up (all my friends I remember back then were crazy about it). Thanks for the model complements! They are what the art in the final product will most likely look like. Less cartoony and more dark/gritty artstyle with that mixed in. (For example Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess/Majora's mask?) Later I will get the character models to have that kind of texture work to match that as well. (They will still be cute don't worry) (Going to probably seek out another 3D modeler and texture artist soon)

The audio that played during the damage as I shot a fireball at the wooden barricades was placeholder. Was intentional you could say, as that was a test-room that is never going to be in the final product/any of the builds. The real sounds/effects will of course be generically what you would hear when you blow up a wooden barricade lol! The health I also will say is terribly hard to see, and also was just for the test rooms. I will looking into getting that swapped out with a GUI heath counter. (Think Mario 64 like GUI health dedicator?)

Picture of latest GUI changes. Picture of the tutorial start.
    http://gyazo.com/181a8e7bfd120fba9ccc88cc18f7fd38

You can see Player number indicator. (P1, P2). Follows the art/images of the game kinda deal. I like it, but I'm curious to hear feedback on that as well. It is a nice way for 4 players to see each-other through walls (see the P# sign) and know where the team is at all times. On the other-hand some might find it a bit too stuffy on the FOV. Not sure yet on to keep it, but I will probably keep it in the first public prototype test and watch reactions.
    That is also a picture of the very early tutorial, which I am spending probably half of today on making it's visuals appealing and not strange textures; (aka that photo)!

EDIT: Here is after some work on the tutorial start. This picture is in the exact same place/spot. (Used a fixed camera position so GUI is still there sorry about that.)
    http://gyazo.com/2d4c7b481d4c410879fefb8d0f9e94c3

A demo will come soon! Very near futureish soon, no worries!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  19. BokuDev

BokuDev

4/8/2014
    Finally got the new water system working! Added a voice to go along with Blue Knights Jump (Other characters don't have their own quite yet).
    Making about 10 challenge levels. (Void like levels) that have more Cube like design to them. Think Super Mario Sunshine hidden levels. Castle Town is undergoing serious changes too, but I won't show it for just a little longer until I'm done with these challenge levels.

Heres a GIF of the new Water system! (Click MP4)
    http://gyazo.com/88f076383da43146cbbaa9dd9ff6d8b9

Problems with Dialogue/conversations with NPC's have been slowing down development. I will tackle it for sure through! More devlog videos on YouTube with 2 player co-op soon! I want to have 4 challenge levels to play for that.

20. Teh Random Hobo

Teh Random Hobo

This game looks amazing. I've watched all the devlogs of it and I must say you are awesome at game development.

Sorry that's all I can really say with my jaw on the ground. I wish you luck Fredick300 ;)

21. BokuDev

BokuDev

Thank you! That means a lot to me that you can still complement me with your jaw on the ground. ;)

4/18/2014 Update.

I scrapped the old dialogue system I came up with and bought up "Dialoguer". It gives a very nice system, and nice old JRPG feel!
    Here is a picture of Yellow Knight talking to a ScareCrow NPC on a test map.
    $Update10pic4.png

The system works well even in co-op, so here is a picture of the same NPC chat in local co-op.
    $update10pic5.png

NPC's aside, I finished working on "Signs". Think of those signs you saw in "Super Mario 64". They have a extra layer of lore to them though, as they left by a unknown stalker to the Knights. Signs will be left all over the world giving hints, warnings, messages, and stalking. After all who is leaving them? :)
    Here is a picture.
    $Update10pic3.png

Last on the picture side all 4 knights in co-op standing on the floating island that holds Castle-town.
    As you can see there is colored magic around each knight. It is a nice effect that will form when the Cube Knights enter a area/void level.
    $Update10pic1.png

Oh, and I gave the sun a face! Its a prototype face for sure, as I want to get another 3D modeler to make a better more night-mare fueling face later on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  22. Teh Random Hobo

Teh Random Hobo

Oh one more thing.

I have just listened to the castle town OST. It sounded awesome, pretty good exploration music. Also I like the new dialogue and magic effects. I will definitely be downloading the first prototype when it comes out;)

23. BokuDev

BokuDev

5/7/2014 Update

http://gyazo.com/1b2c3c9ce29f5a5447cc287efbe4bf42

The future of the game being on Desura's alpha funding is looking bright! The game is getting closer and closer to public prototype test as well.
    For the prototype test there needed some form a placeholder hub that will connect levels and missions in the early builds of the game for playtesters.

The best thing to come up with was a area that could relate to the lore of the game! So the "Cube-Void" was made. A world made of cubes but still has 3D models on top that aren't all voxel to match the knights not being cubes themselves.
    $COVERMUSICLABEL2.png

Next thing currently being slaved on is "Color Challenge Levels". These are levels are that just simple colored cubes that give a vibrant feel, and are hidden extra levels/levels to try out after beating the main missions in the early test builds. Since the visuals are kept simple on these levels, it is easier to pump out more them quicker and have the fun of them be the gameplay and challenge. (They still look beautiful though!)
    Here is two pictures of the first one.
    $e3c349f0cd4a570d5a9b47fd653e80c8.png
    $ColorChallenge pic2.png

The best/closest thing I can relate them too in 3D platformer past is Super Mario Sunshine hidden levels.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After six months of working alone I picked up another person willing to go the gauntlet of the game's music with me! Aron Kramer is helping to compose additional songs for the game. Here is his piece for the Cube-Void that will play when players explore it for the first time.

[video=youtube_share;DJ4Bb8ZwLXY]http://youtu.be/DJ4Bb8ZwLXY

Other than the Cube-Void hub, music, and challenge levels iv been trying to get mounts/ride-able things working lately. As development time goes on for Cube-Knights, Hubs will get bigger with more exploration. The best way to combat large spaces is to have faster ways to get around so iv been looking into setting up some possible future ride-able things.

Examples being
    -Boats
    -Hover Cubes (Grab and you fly)
    -Horses
    -Horse carriages
    -Camel
    -Train
    etc

But that's been going weird. Lots of bugs! (WARNING FOLLOWING GIF LINKS ARE HILARIOUS)
    http://gyazo.com/934ef11a6060b32c19a813bf5f1ad820
    http://gyazo.com/b662d40d4f9021964f2e593409d5bd90

I eventually got to the point where you can ride them, but they move even slower then a Cube Knight on foot.
    So it will for sure be worked on later since I should probably go back to focusing on the Cube-Void and playable missions/challenge levels now!

Next update will 90% most likely be a Devlog gameplay video! (Unless Aron somehow works his magic and makes another awesome OST faster than I can program and work on levels)

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  24. BokuDev

BokuDev

5/21/2014 update!

Image dumping:
    $Squrills the video game.png $Cube_void1.png $2ffb43e6edb7dea0a589d4d436023afb.png
    http://gyazo.com/c8806036754c501d110add0117c86ef6
    http://gyazo.com/a6dcf9bec1e89128adaa8800187ff241

New devlog video:
    So some early (rough) footage of two-player co-op was finished. The two levels shown are color challenge levels. More on that in the description of the video though.
    [video=youtube_share;CwoMGLbZT-0]http://youtu.be/CwoMGLbZT-0

Stuff Soon!
    Things are coming along for a public prototype test. Just need to finish 8 more challenge levels, get new sound effects, finish 4 main regular levels, the place holder cube void, dialog for NPC's on the hub/puzzles, and internal test it for about a day before giving a link to it for everyone.

Next update will be a OST video as Aron finished a new song, and the post will contain some new screenshots of the game as well. On the technical side of development, the only real issues iv been having lately is trying to get 4 player co-op online working, GUI elemets (Health, EXP, Leveling, Mana etc), adding more combat besides jumping on enemies and some game-play mechanics like sprinting, all need work but WILL be added in the near future. Working on all this all at once haha.

Expect after the OST video more co-op game-play of different levels/more color challenge levels soon as well. (probably will show up to 3 players for another video then 4). I just got NGUI so I need to go look up tutorials on how to use it effectively!

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  25. BokuDev

BokuDev

5/31/2014 update: GUI and House Entering!

I made a system where you can find a house in a hub world, walk up to the front door and enter! Entering a house will change the camera to stay behind the player, rotation locked, and houses have this.. I want to say Animal crossing/Luigi's mansion view point/camera feel is the best way to put it!

I will have more on the inside of houses/what the gameplay looks like when you enter later!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GUI Changes!

It took me awhile, but I finally got new GUI in the works! You can (FINALLY) see your health better! There is also a JRPG inspired mini map, and xbox360 styled buttons!

Changes will come via
    -Icons under the buttons
    -Co-op GUI (need to figure out how to have all this in split-screen etc)
    -Animation/better heart and font to the health.

There is also an early targeting system! When a player walks near a point of interest, or alerts an enemy the minimap will ping, and a icon/targeting GUI will come up on the enemy! This is still early of course, so the player can't lock-on and aim at an enemy just yet. I will be working on melee attacks probably before I can set that one up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  26. BokuDev

BokuDev

7/17/2014 Update!

Progress to finishing up a great prototype edition is getting closer and closer!

Here is the new devlog video!

Changelog:

-Added early GUI elements
    -New Spider enemy/Model
    -New Dragon bat enemy
    -New eye monster enemy
    -Zombie enemy
    -Plant enemy(Shoots projectiles)
    -Goblin type enemies
    -Mini map
    -Bullion's (Currency/pickup of the game)
    -Melee hack and slash combat.
    -Double Jumping in mid air
    -Platforms that will vanish after being touched but will respawn after time
    -Better wall jumping (using tags)
    -Enemy death puff (The skull and smoke after an enemy death)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to be testing around with NGUI and have my GUI use it. (The learning curve for NGUI is real). I need to mainly figure out how to get it working with the PPK. There will also be some 3 to 4 player co-op vids on the way soon! I need to make some element projectiles for the knights, and fix the monster projectiles to not be white balls! :D

I also want to keep working on that lock-on/Z targeting kinda system. The camera work for that is finished but it still won't target an enemy for some reason. o_O

There is a facebook page for my studio now! Check it out!
    https://www.facebook.com/bluevalorstudios?fref=nf

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/TheeWhiteReaper

And Arons sound cloud!
    https://soundcloud.com/aron-kramer

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  27. 0tacun

0tacun

Hi frederik3000, I would like to give again some feedback :)
    First I liked the video very much, I'm curious how much fun it would be with 2-4 players :D

some things I stumbled upon:
    - enemy dying sound: maybe insert a random pitch value when the sound is played, for a bit variety.
    - the disappearing blocks effect looked somehow disturbing. Maybe it would be better to make the block half transparent to indicate that the block will vanish.
    - camera: I still found it a bit fast and hard to concentrate :D I have a feeling it is as adrenaline pumped as the player :D but I think while playing it could be a different feeling.
    - visual: I know it is still an alpha but what I found strange that the objects where thrown from different dimensions into the cube dimension. The ninja e.g. has clearly lower polys than the other heores and doesn't look as smooth as the other heroes. Maybe it is your intended style then I will shut up :)

Besides the gameplay looked very cool, keep it up!

28. BokuDev

BokuDev

8/9/2014 update!

Name was changed from "Cube Knights" to "Dream Knights" so sorry for the confusion.

Remade the first color challenge level! Theres also a ton of new visual effects, sounds, and "LLocking"! Dream Knights has its own targeting system now!

Changelog-
    -Added "LLocking"
    -New monsters/monster skins
    -New ranged projectile shooting monsters
    -Redid color challenge 1
    -Melee swing sounds
    -Depth of field added
    -Bloom added
    -Lots of new slime enemy skins
    -New traps!
    I forgot to mention in the last video but the name was changed from "Cube Knights" to "Dream Knights" to fit the story better.

There is some bugs I need to work on, (aka the jump distance killing) that is related to the "LLock" but expect more content and videos soon!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  29. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

This knight seems to have smoke coming out of his pantaloons all the time.

BokuDev likes this.
  30. ketchup_scaredcrow

ketchup_scaredcrow

Looks pretty cool but I would take away the widescreen when locked-on to enemies. It doesn't feel like it fits the game.

31. BokuDev

BokuDev

Dream Knights Update 9/14/2014

Check out the games new website!
    There will be updates to the website every week! I'm working on getting forums for the game, but you can comment on the weekly update and check out other forms of media at least!
    http://dreamknightsgame.com/

Level design changes

The level design is getting even better! Since the games story mainly takes place in dreams, the levels are becoming more crazy/void like. (kinda like how the cube void was originally only going to be like when the game was Cube Knights).

I'm currently working on the 10 forest levels that start the game.

You can catch more visual sweetness here; (CLICK MP4)
    http://gyazo.com/f6786908be549c85dae59ca69517dc8c

http://gyazo.com/a2d65ce218d645f24f3ec0a96dd050f7
    http://gyazo.com/c1485579e1ec890efe541a989f019ea9

Responding to feedback.

One of the most common pieces of feedback is to see 4 player split-screen and HUD elements for health. I finished issues so these screens are me testing them out on the Unity 4.6 beta. I haven't made the hearts for yellow and green knight but the code is all done so I shall get to that once I make some better looking hearts first.

"LLock borders". Responding to a post above,
    I decided to challenge the notion that borders when locking on don't fit the game. I discovered bringing them out smaller and adding color to what knight you are helps and gives the lock-on system a feel of its own for this game.

Better models no more square spikes, lens flares and more particles.
    The games visuals are getting better by the day! I hope this will eventually lead up to a toonish/animeish platformer that can still be "Next-Gen" with tons of detail.

Expect 2 player/4 player co-op videos soon.
    Also another update as I try to detail each knights abilities that will make it into the prototype edition. I can say however that;

Valor Audacity “Blue Knight” Fighter melee/sword Utility Damage

Intelligence “Red Knight” Magic/projectile shooter/intelligence Damage

Compassion “Yellow Knight” Support Utility/enemy stunner/enemy grabber.

Willpower “Green Knight” Samurai/Agility melee/katana Utility Damage

Currently trying to figure out the best abilities and make the play-style for each knight drastically different. They will all have similar abilities for platforming so they can make the same obstacles but the differences are so when all 4 knights play together fighting enemies in the together as a team with diverse skills I find more rewarding than the other knights being clones of blue knight. Let me know if you have any cool idea's what what knight abilities would be like to you? The list above was mine, but it has flaws like "What if yellow knight is playing alone?" etc.

Trying to program a hook to pull in enemies (like a skill shot) for yellow knight has been hell lately too haha.

http://i.gyazo.com/c1485579e1ec890efe541a989f019ea9.mp4

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    0tacun likes this.
  32. 0tacun

0tacun

Cool update! The forest assets looks good and overall it increased the impression that everything is in harmony.
    my feedback:
    - add a small line between the camera rects to better differntiate between the views of the four players.
    - I think the FOV value is too high. It could be my personal opinion, but I think the view is too streched. Most jump and runs doesn't use such a hugh value.
    - I just don't know if the colored bars could be a too big distraction, as I didn't played it. Maybe add black boarders with a thin color line. Or create a fadecross at the targeted enemy. Or just leave it as it is :)
    - oh and I like the idea that every knight has somekind of exclusive skill/job.

Anyways, keep it up!

BokuDev likes this.
  33. BokuDev

BokuDev

9/16/2014 Update!
    (EDIT:
    I'm also going to edit this post over time with more AI changes I work on tonight later.)

Enemy AI changes and new mechanics.

After starting work on the beautiful new levels it quickly came to mind that the levels need monsters that can fit this forest zone. Instead of just having blobs that run at you and hurt you on touch I decided to try and make tons of different monster AI that attacks differently and uniquely than others. I'm loving how the combat is starting to feel so inspired by Dark Souls haha.

I made this testing room in the sky, and even styled it a bit with clouds as its a medium sized platform in the air with fences bordering it. Perfect to test different monsters for combat!

Shape-shifting ghost test.
    Finished programming a ghost that once attacked turns into a copy of the fellow 4 knights at random. This is going to be hilarious in co-op to have your friends tricked that you started running at them attacking them but its just a ghost copy.

The size of the copy and weirdness of them is random as well. The copy could come out normal or crazy fat and huge, or as thin as paper.

HD LINK: http://i.gyazo.com/ae8b1d8289bcea04871565f9692a67cd.mp4
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ghost respawning test.
    Finished programming respawning ghosts! The ghosts will respawn on whatever haunted object there is and the player needs to destroy that object to stop the ghosts from spawning.

In this case I used a placeholder grave, and since the sword is too weak to cut it, I made a bomb. The player throws the bomb at the grave to blow it up etc!
    I'm planning on having a special horde of zombies also respawn until you kill a wizard summoning them or whatever will rise them from their graves.

HD LINK:
    http://i.gyazo.com/f2f397fc226ac2373bb6eb69333ab062.mp4
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zombie Horde test.
    Finished programming zombies! The zombies play chess with you in a way, and protect the yellow/gold zombie in the back of the horde. If you kill the king zombie you get a key to unlock a door, or get an item/pickup.

Besides the 2 shades of pawn zombies there is blue which takes Blue Knights ability for nice melee damage. Red for shooting magic at players, Yellow (besides being king which isn't relating to yellow knight) does relate via taking the tank/support abilities. Does no damage and will knock you back. Green runs faster and does more damage but not as much as blue zombies damage (Just like Green and Blue Knight)

There is also most of the time a blue zombie with more health protecting the king at all times.

In this mini video the horde speed and damage was too strong so iv turned that down as well. You can also get a view of the food health pickups in the background! They rotate nicely!

HD LINK: http://i.gyazo.com/cb4310446e31b92a324d26afad082165.mp4
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teleporting Enemy test
    Finished Programming a monster that once you hit once, teleports to a new position to mess with you.

(totally inspired by bioshock infinite's crow phase enemies haha)

Glad how well it turned out! Currently thinking of other crazy monsters with different abilities I can make. These are nightmare monsters in dreams so of course the possibilities can be insane.

HD LINK: http://i.gyazo.com/ecd2bd23d299fcd3894251a0db49a59f.mp4
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Slime Monster test.
    Finished programming a slime monster that once attacked, goes into smaller slimes. Classic stuff but in 3D really. I still have to program the animations in, but the base AI is done as you can see.

I think fighting this monster in co-op with swarms of them will be interesting!

HD link: http://i.gyazo.com/e59ba908be70dc6fabcb082de9d04085.mp4
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combat dev room testing.
    Going to test combat on this testing level with tons of monsters that will be used in the forest levels.

This was monster hornet tests. Mainly Projectile, rush and sting, and another I'm trying to get that phases position and attack style after its been attacked first.

(also tiny bees that come out of an object once you destroy it).

Need to figure out a beehive model or something haha.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about using these for health!
    What do you think?

Hell I just might use some of these foods for a "Forest Of Food" level in the forest zone haha. Would be cool to jump from cake to cake.

I'm also thinking using these values for them;

Waffle +4HP
    HamEgg- +5HP
    Cake- +10HP
    Donut- +2HP
    Burger- +7
    IceCream- +7
    Milk- +5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End the bottom of the thread with this haha;
    http://i.gyazo.com/f6786908be549c85dae59ca69517dc8c.mp4

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    0tacun likes this.
  34. BokuDev

BokuDev

Thanks! Not sure how to add a small line to the camera rects so I will research that in a bit. The FOV is set too 100. at 60-90 LOTS of people complained that camera is too close to player and those FOV values limited so much screen space to view. (aka too small of a FOV for a 3D platformer). The camera at the moment I will admit needs more work as I need to figure out how to the player can zoom farther or closer away from the knight. That way I can pick a solid FOV but the players who hate smaller FOV's can zoom out the camera. The camera currently only rotates around the knight with the right stick on the xbox360 controller/mouse.

I do though want to eventually code in a FOV slider since no one should be locked into a certain FOV they might not like.

As for the lock-on I too am thinking about getting rid of the borders and having a color circle GUI on which enemy you are locked on to but I'm not sure on how to program that. (I am in unity 4.6 beta haha)

Thanks for the feedback!

Also I love the new 4.6 gui system!

35. Itaros

Itaros

It looks great, but have you considered implementing ambient occlusion? Borders between tiles are horrible xD

36. zenGarden

zenGarden

Looks awesome.
    You perhaps could get rid off the floor tiles seams ?

37. BokuDev

BokuDev

You guys don't like floor tile seams? ^
    I try to use as seams as apart of the art style where you have checkered area's. (I love checkered patterns) and I think it added some character to the level design. (Example you put one grass texture and another and make checkered patterns out of it.) There is going to be seams so you can see the checkered patterns.

(Seams in Forest Level 1)

(Seams in the checkered rocks I want the ground grass to do the same thing basically)

I think a lot of it too is that you have to realize the game is a 3D platformer as well. Not every platform is connected so that you actually have to JUMP across gaps. I will for-sure reconsider and try to get rid of the seams that are too close to other platforms if players in the upcoming demos keep giving me feedback about them.

Thread OP cleanup/Update.
    I finally cleaned up and updated the OP after all these months to reflect the games major changes and new direction away from the old "Cube Knights". I hope its easier and better to read and access the information needed for people as we get SO close to demos, Steam concept green-light, and more.

Constant Twitter Updates.
    Iv now gotten VERY good at updating my twitter everyday on development about the game. I will try and do the same for the OP post in only the "Latest devlog Video" and "Latest Development photo of the week". The text and other sections will change or have addtions a lot less. In short; Unity thread will be updated once every week or so. As the Twitter is updated everyday so follow me if you enjoy the games updates! I hope to bring more level design content and updates to the feed soon!
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheeWhiteReaper

Courage Shard collectible

The new design of the courage shard! Each one represents said zone!

New Food and Bottles
    More food was added to the health pickups! Stars are the currency in the game, so along with food can be in bottles! Bottles are generally floating in the air. You wack them or hit them with a projectile to make them fall! Once they hit the ground you hit them until they break and out comes whatever was inside!

(All Prototype food for health in the game)

(Stars and food. In general pickups/collectibles are in bottles)

Finished Lives System
    It took a long time, but finally a lives system was added! You might have noticed it from the above photo in the top left corner! (Text isn't final and it needs an icon) Losing all your lives and dieing one last time (with 0) will give you the game-over.

(Finished lives system example)

Animated Game-Over scene.
    I thought since I already posted a photo of the Game-Over scene in the OP, it would be better if I treated everyone to it animated in-game. Click the link below to see the mp4 c;

http://i.gyazo.com/2841ccdda3d0afb35ea843772952e2fb.mp4

More level design updates to the twitter soon! (and hopefully that new co-op gameplay video iv been promising for awhile haha)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  38. zenGarden

zenGarden

The level textures are ripped from Mario ? Just kidding it's a great job so far.
    I don't like the background level with big flower, it doesn't make any sense and would look lot better without anything like Mario games.

39. BokuDev

BokuDev

4/29/2015 UPDATE:
    After working on art direction changes and months of failed development here is the latest update!

HELP WANTED:
    Iv been running into programming limitations so here is the new collaboration/job seeking thread to hopefully iron them out and keep the development of the game on track more. I'm seeking a real/new concept artist and another experienced C# programmer.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dream-knights-commision-work-concept-artist-or-c-programmer.322386/

Story Changes:
    Dream Knights is about a 12 year old child named Lance who catches a Demon stealing his Baby brother. Lance follows him into the Dream realm "The Astral Plane" and has to storm his castle in the hopes of rescuing his little brother. (More on this stuff as development moves forward)

Latest pictures from my twitter of the game:

The game has changed a lot in both story in art, (Hence the Blues to Red's). So here are some of my favorites from development lately. I'm also getting rid of the outlines soon and use more Next-Gen shaders since the game is still in UNITY 4, today it should be switching to 5. (Im prepared for the lighting and shaders to just break upon switching haha)

Unity 5 in combination of programming limitations has slowed down development :( though I'm hoping to speed things up back on track soon! Make sure you check out my collaboration/Job seeking thread! Remember iv said it since the beginning I wanted this game to be made with the 3D platformer community in mind in both feedback or possible collaboration. Make sure to follow me on twitter for the quicker updates!

https://twitter.com/TheeWhiteReaper

-Fredrick Conception