Search Unity

The collaboration forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 121, Mar 13, 2014.

1. 121

Why are there no replies to every single thread?

2. Kondor0

Kondor0

They are locked to avoid flaming and/or trolling.

3. 121

That seems a bit over the top.

4. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Let me tell you a story about the days of yore. Long ago there were two different kinds of people starting threads in the land of Collaboration (who still exist today, mind you): those who dreamed and those who acted upon their ambitions. Unfortunately, as the population of the forums grew, so did the ratio of dreamers to doers. Many people got upset with the dreamers, as the dreamers' ambitions were too large and were wasting many peoples' time.

Many spoke out against the dreamers and their grandiose ideas, as what the dreamers failed to realize is that they were destined for failure. They were unprepared for the battle that lay ahead, and many failed, spirits broken. They laid down their arms and left Unity. The fog of the dreamers' ambitions clouded the numerous examples of those who had fallen in the past.

A large number of others told them to stay; they told them it was too dangerous, but the dreamers scoffed at the warnings of the other users. They said that they were difference and that they knew exactly how to win the battle. The problem was, no matter how much they planned and strategized, they had no team. They had no skills of their own aside from being a self-proclaimed leader.

Soon thereafter, many great wars started up between the doers and the plague of dreamers, causing a dark age over all of of Collaboration. The leaders of the forums conferred with each other and came to a decision on how to end this battle once and for all. First, they would directly control who would be allowed to ask for help in putting a team together. Second, they would not allow the wars to go on any longer and disallowed the heated arguments from taking place by locking down replies to the the requests for a team. After that, all conversing was done in private.

Much of the garbage generated by the dreamers is now out of the way of the requests by the doers, and Collaboration has been greatly improved. It may not be the best solution, but it works.

5. 121

Meh, let the 'dreamers' enjoy their dreams. If the projects are open for all to see, we can decide whether to help or not. "Blah blah, email me blah blah" doesn't cut it. I'm sure lots of interesting projects are being held back.

6. Kondor0

Kondor0

@rab236: epic post.

You are talking about things you don't know. If several threads derails into namecalling because some idea guys can't take constructive criticism then this turns into a problem for the community. There are no "interesting projects" being held back here, just less useless noise.

7. 121

That can happen in any forum.

8. squared55

squared55

But it's not.

9. 121

So you're all anti collaboration?

10. Kondor0

Kondor0

Are you being intentionally obtuse? we are not anti-collaboration, we are anti-chaos. You obviously didn't saw it, you don't know how bad it was.

11. 121

I see. I never saw it. Resorting to name calling from criticism is a very, very said state of affairs. If a project member is that unprofessional, then I would abort the said collaboration until the offending individual was removed. I won't enter a collab if I can't see what's going on.

Tbh, a collab run by buffoons is entertaining, like watching a bad B movie :D It's a learning process. Let them nuke it out. No harm done.

12. squared55

squared55

The problem is that you can't just wait it out. There's a constant infusion of new twelve year olds wanting to make an MMO. It's entertaining for the first little bit, but after a while you realize that it's useless to everyone who actually wants to contribute to a project.

13. Ninety_

Ninety_

Actually, I also hang around the GameMaker forums and the Team Requests (effectively Collaboration) is just terrible there, as is the Graphics and Resources Requests subforum. Dreamers outnumber by ten to one, and the realistic, thought-out threads get drowned in dozens of "im gonna make a mmo im twelve dont judge i'll be team leader you'll get royalties when we get on steam" threads. I don't really know what the Unity Collaboration section was like but based on my experience in the GMC I can make an educated guess.

And it does get reduced to name-calling sometimes. For example, recently a guy made a graphics request which was vague, so I asked him to provide more information, and spent nearly a week getting flamed and abused by him as he downvoted many of my posts (even ones not addressed to him) and sent me abusive PMs. That's just one case, but it does happen.

So, yeah, I do understand why the Unity forums staff made the decision they did. It might not be ideal, but trust me, the alternative is worse. Much, much worse.

14. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

When people posted in the collab section before, we attacked them with a pack of ravenous wolves. After they ripped the project to shreds and the owner with it, we all just walked away and sang long songs by the fire.

15. Meltdown

Meltdown

You mean the Trollaboration forum?

It was a huge trollfest, not much else. With people wanting to make 'never seen before massive universe MMO's' without so much as knowing anything about game development and trying to recruit teams of 50 people to make their 'amazing idea' come to life.

The community eventually decided it was better that no replies are allowed and if anyone is interested they can PM the project owner directly if interested.

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

...And thus was peace restored across the land. Mostly. I'd just like to point out that posting collaboration topics outside Collaboration in an attempt to get around the restrictions is not allowed, and those topics will be closed/deleted when discovered or reported. Also, offering royalties does not count as "paid". The stickies say this pretty clearly, but the stickies might as well be labeled "Ignore me!" apparently....

--Eric

17. squared55

squared55

Good post (I agree completely)

...But I was referring to how we're not getting the type of trolling in other boards on this forum (Works in Progress, Gossip, etc) that existed in the collab boards. :)

18. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

The works in progress section is most likely due to the fact that you actually have to have something to show not just this elite idea. I've yet to see a WIP thread on here that started out as basically "Ima make best mmo with no money and a huge team because I rule!"

19. Seven

Seven

I really want there to be a sequel to this.

20. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I want to make a MMORPG centered around A) being a troll (like, lives under a bridge and eats goats) and B) being a troll who trolls trolls, possibly even with jelly rolls.

Sadly, I know enough to know that's but a dream within a dream, because trolls with rolls troll those with souls. I'm going to go find a nice, grassy gnoll, y'know.

21. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

That was beautiful and very poetic!
    Side note: (Troll Jelly Rolls sounds like it would make a good candy)

on topic, maybe the collab forum should just close. It seems pretty useless. I just looked at it for the first time ever and every post on the first two pages is completely reply-less. It looks super dead. Its all just threads of "3d modelers needed!", "coders needed!", or the famous "Im making the best MMO ever, need a team!". And in reality all these people who are starting collab threads have nothing to show for the actual project. Just my opinion though. I know some people care about the collab section.

22. squared55

squared55

You looked at that post but not the second one in the entire thread? :confused:

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Er, did you read this topic? You can't reply to posts there. You send a PM if you're interested.

--Eric

24. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

I came later to this forum, as employer I have interviewed several of the people who post on Collaboration.

They are very rude, lazy, deluded, insulting, don't want to do any work, boss people around, welfare recipient. They insult not only me, my staff here and the new person appointed to do the interview - a former University lecturer, and he has very thick skin on such people.

The collaboration forum is downright bizarre - 2D artist outsourcing own work to another 2D artist on royalty, a company called Slaves, Inc, using pirated models to build a MMO, stick drawing MMO, multi-million poly models to make a MMO, using assembly to build a MMO server :)

Those 'CEO' have dozens of addresses, dozens of pre-paid phone numbers, to avoid debt collectors, don't know anything on game development, except aggressive recruiting and doing nothing. Usually, we do not hire such, since they have no useful skills.

I did find some good hires - like project leads, developers and modellers who used to work in studios. They make really good work.

Moderators, thank you for banning that Puya3D* guy again. That person was doing nothing but using multiple accounts to constantly recruit others into his royalty project, for almost 4 years now. Thank you for deleting his UDK WIP GameMaker WIP game on the Unity WIP section :). It was fun while it lasted.

* search this forum for Puya3D.

25. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Did that idiot come back again?

26. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I know I'm going to regret this...but here goes...

Searches for posts by Puya3D...

27. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

We were not looking for Puya3D person, we were looking for someone else, who does not exist. They made a profile of the person who was doing this and matched a certain individual doing this:

1. Excessive creating multiple accounts - more than 20 accounts per forum, on multiple forums.

2. Use of multiple aliases to do the same, or say the same things.

3. Use of multiple domains (often suspended months later) to advertise non-existent FPS game, or MMO game.

4. Stirring trouble, to the point where they get banned. Not just on this forum. They are banned on multiple forums (see point 1)

5. Constantly contacting others or spamming for recruitment. No person in the right mind would do that. The costs for skilled manpower is exponential.

No one else in the whole entire Unity3d forums tries to aggressively recruit people into their game development operations, and then do not pay them. That is unethical and immoral. That is not the way how you do business.

There are lots of people who hate it as they work unpaid for months on end, the worst case being 1 year unpaid (to what was known). If you are a victim, please speak up instead of being quiet.

6. Usage of anonymous proxies where they avoid bans by using anonymous proxies.

7. Duping others to fund their operations. Nobody gets paid, and all the monies goes to corrupt hands. Investors gets duped.

Their name does not match their Paypal name, or they need money sent to their brother out of state, their imaginary friend will pay, but nobody gets paid.

8. Hacking others, or cyber-attacks against others. The previous people got hacked, sent viruses, social engineering to drain their PayPal or Bank account. People who have been sent strange EXEs are advised to monitor their credit for fraud activities.

9. False accusations and hostility. Who else was very hostile person on this forum?

10. Legal threats and counter-accusations. We hired a lawyer and found several other people filing lawsuits against him. Same problem - that person keeps moving and moving, assuming multiple identities, multiple aliases.

We have sent people to his house, - nobody by that name lives here, nobody by that surname lives here, weeks later, the phone would be disconnected - 'We are sorry, that number is no longer in use'.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  28. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

OH! I was wondering why the last instance of Puya3D being mentioned was mid last year...

29. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Prion/Eclision, Puya, and countless others – who have long since been forgotten – have been harassing people on these forums for ages. The mods have done a good job clearing them out, so it's good we haven't heard much from them lately. I think this well-describes how collaboration used to be:

Maybe when there is more to tell. Until then we shall just have to wait and see what happens.

30. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

For PrionGames and all the Joshes, this will probably be played out in court with debt collectors who chase him to collect debts, so he moves from house to house, using dozens of prepaid phone numbers. For all our new hires, HR has to do mandatory background checks, mandatory tests for developers, since developers cannot be assessed based on portfolio alone.

The Unity mods refuse to allow us to post PrionGames 'certificate of company dissolution', his bad business practices here, since Josh says that our company is harassing him, and tell lies to the moderators.

Josh tell lies against me and my staff, like as if our company use aliases, when our staff have our own accounts on Unity, but since they are working full time, they hardly post on the Unity forums. Josh and his friends harasses our staff, that we use pirated software, when we are using fully licensed software. He twists and turns his words against others.

Josh Minger broke his promise to Unity Director of Support, Graham Dunnett that he would never solicit for people, that he gave up his consulting job, yet, he continues to solicit people from this forum. So they banned him again. Apparently this is not true, since his posts are deleted but he can still login to Unity forums.

I will post this private message to me publicly, because Josh twists and turns his words into lies:

Then later,
    Josh posts to soliciting work at:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/232...tudios-join-us (removed posts)

Josh posts a UDK project on the Unity WIP forums:

Which person will post a UDK WIP game to the Unity WIP forum, asking for developers, artists and modellers to join his project??
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/232...eekly-updates) (now deleted)

Josh twists and turns this words to suite his favour. The people who work for him are deluded people who are brainwashed into thinking being guided by someone who does nothing, can make games.

He and his friends has no experience, draw stick drawings, bad models and bad game programming. Several of his friends come here for a job interview, but they ended up trading barbs and insults to the interviewer, a former lecturer, when their glaring mistakes are pointed out, so they must feel really good about it. A perfect way to ruin a Monday morning.

Those who are affected, work for free, then get terminated after a month or so. Hiring and firing based on loyalty and free work to him. There are extreme cases, such as two modellers who worked free for Josh for more than 2 months, I have pity for them, since I cannot help them.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  31. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

A clear-cut case of the pot calling the kettle ...

32. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

That is exactly the reason why Collaboration is closed. Too many people having bad experiences. One bad apple...

I guess this post will be locked soon. Anyway, I have told my side of the story.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  33. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Two

34. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Really, turkeypotpie?

Our company will be here for a long time, and it been fun. I joined this forum when the Collaboration forum was closed.

35. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Really

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Color me intrigued, why is the pot calling the kettle?

37. Dabeh

Dabeh

I have to admit, you're very, very organized. I was around back then but I mainly just laughed at his posts.

38. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Probably just to chill, hang out, order some pizza and play some classic N64 games. At least that has been my experience when pot calls.

39. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Oooh, that sounds like fun :)

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Pot kettle black, or the pot calling the kettle black over here anyway is like being a fat person and calling another person fat. So it immediately sprang to mind that something was afoot.

Unless Mr. TurkeyPotPie, which actually sounds like a great idea for dinner, got his message mixed up?