Search Unity

D.p.s: The running dead - infinite runner/third person shooter

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Sbarrion, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everybody how are you doing my team and I have been working on a Mobile game called, "The Running Dead.” Paul our Lead Programmer/Level Designer has been working hard on the Prototype using the Unity engine while Laurent and I have been working on the documents, production plans, and Concept art for the characters and Environment. We have reached a point in the project that we are now ready for production.

PRODUCTION FOCUS

We will be focusing on delivering an Alpha/First Playable by the end of July with a majority of the environment assets, Player character, Enemies, GUI, and few animations done by then. Once we reach our goal we will be able to move forward to our beta.

OVER VIEW

“The Running Dead,” will basically be an infinite runner that keeps getting harder the longer you run, and will have zombies that will come after the player when he/she is a certain distance away.
    The zombies will have two attacks, the first attack is a bash or grab attack which does 5 points of damage when the player is by them, also if the player is by them for more than a couple of seconds they will start eating him/her which will do 50 points of damage, there are also obstacles in your way that you must avoid as well. The player will be able to find various weapons throughout the run, but he/she will have a limited amount of ammo that they can use to clear a path through the zombie horde, you will also be able to pick up health and you will be scored on the length of your run and by how many zombies you kill.

Target Platform / Minimum Hardware:

• ENGINE: Unity
    • PLATFORM: IOS and Android
    • TARGET AUDIENCE: Teenagers 13 on up

CONCEPT ART

CITY STREETS: ENVIRONMENT ART

PLAYER CHARACTER: THE SURVIVOR

ENEMY: ZOMBIES

PROTOTYPE GAME PLAY

This is our updated prototype that we've been working on, but thanks to Paul skills in Unity it came out really good. The Prototype shows the basic game play, which are the player’s controls, obstacles, and enemy AI.

FORUM UPDATES

We will do a regular update 1-2 weeks to show our progress, but we will be focusing more on the project, and if we don’t update regularly that just means we are working very hard on our project. I appreciate the time you took to look at our work and current game play keep looking because this is only the beginning.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. jameos

jameos

brilliant :D

3. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Appreciate that can't wait to show more =)

4. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everybody it’s been a while since I've posted on this thread showing the progress of our project, but we've been working very hard since March and made a great deal of progress in a short amount of time. Here is a quick over view of what we've been doing.

OVER VIEW

My lead Programmer Paul has changed the ammo system to be more realistic and harder to survive. He also made the .45 pistol only have 7 rounds in a clip and 70 rounds to start with. He also fixed the reload system as there were some minor bugs with it. He also made weapon spawning less frequent the further you go and when you pick up ammo it’s of a random amount between 10 and 70. Paul has been testing slow-motion effect while sliding (special ability) which came out looking really cool. Now He working on a refining the level generator that should be optimize for mobile performance.

The Level generator is still W.I.P but coming along nicely, using object pooling as much as possible along with randomizing of asset position and rotation. Paul has updated the camera script so when the player goes left or right the camera offsets in the opposite direction to avoid collision with buildings, and made camera avoid clipping with models. He also updated the road models to include sidewalks and created a texture template for them. We’ve added new assets into the level generator, and also fixed the physics push that the player has, and made some of the assets able to be knocked over. Adjusted the player script a bit for more realistic jump height and fixed a bug with the player’s collision with asset obstacles. Tested the W.I.P level generator on android and it's running a lot smoother and using about half the memory as before.

CONCEPT ART W.I.P

City Street Environment Art 02 W.I.P

ASSET MODELS W.I.P

Buildings

City Assets/Barricades

Vehicles

This is only the beginning we've got a lot more to show so I will do my best to bring more updates to the thread, so you all can see that we are pushing hard for towards our Alpha/First-Playable. Can’t wait to bring this to you guys thanks for looking at our project =).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I like!

6. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Appreciate that can't wait to show more:D

7. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everybody here is another recent update of our project.

MODEL/ANIMATION W.I.P

Zombie Male and Female Meshes Rigged and Animated

T.R.D. PROTOTYPE 3

(Earlier overview of what is shown in the updated Prototype)

The Level generator is still W.I.P but coming along nicely, using object pooling as much as possible along with randomizing of asset position and rotation. Paul has updated the camera script so when the player goes left or right the camera offsets in the opposite direction to avoid collision with buildings, and made camera avoid clipping with models. He also updated the road models to include sidewalks and created a texture template for them. We've added new assets into the level generator, and also fixed the physics push that the player has, and made some of the assets able to be knocked over. Adjusted the player script a bit for more realistic jump height and fixed a bug with the player’s collision with asset obstacles.

As all ways appreciate comments, questions, and critics also can't wait to show more later down the road.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everybody here are some of the newest updates to our project.

OVER VIEW

We’ve gotten feedback on our updated prototype video about the width of the street being too wide (still early in the production), and reduced it to 60% of its original width. Also Paul (Lead Programmer/Lead Level Designer) added drivable car feature, which the player can tilt the mobile device right or left to mow down zombies and dodge obstacles.

He also fixed the floating point overflow, now when the player reaches a certain distance, the whole level including the player is snapped back to the beginning making it a true infinite runner game. He also tweaked the zombie A.I. a little to make them go around obstacles making more self aware.

We are also testing HDRI + direct lighting by reducing the number of draw calls we maintain good lighting, which stills performs really good when we test on our mobile devices.

CONCEPT ART W.I.P

City Street Environment Art 02 Final Draft

ASSET MODELS W.I.P

City Street's Road Texture W.I.P

Trailer Truck

GAME-PLAY W.I.P

H.D.R.I/Driving Feature level test

As all ways appreciate comments, questions, and critics also can't wait to show more. Thank you for taking the time to look over our progress =)

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  9. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

haha very nice. I like it a lot. I love all the work you put into it so far and everything you have to show. The gameplay in the prototype videos looks very fun and smooth.

great job man. Keep up the good work.

10. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

I really appreciate that thanks for the support can't wait to show case what weapons we will have available for the Alpha =D

11. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everybody here is another update on the progress of our project.

OVER VIEW

The main part of the level generator is finished, and Paul fixed the float overflow by snapping back after 1000 units. He also fixed an issue with some of the zombies falling off the back of the level, and working to improve their AI. He fixed the player animations by separating the movement of the animations into two different scripts. He also fixed a lot of the physics for more realistic weighting for when the player is driving the car and running down zombies.

We’ve updated HDRI panoramic sky mapping with better HDR lighting. Paul has also changed the fog material to adjust its color and have slight transparency to show some of the sky map, and reduced the camera render distance to avoid seeing beyond the fog.

Now we are currently working on optimizing and perfecting the control schemes for mobile devices.

CONCEPT ART W.I.P

City Street Environment Art 03 W.I.P

ASSET MODEL W.I.P

City Street Barricades Asset Textures W.I.P

As all ways we appreciate comments, questions, and critics also can't wait to show more. Thank you for taking the time to look over our progress =)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  12. HarshadK

HarshadK

This looks promising. Can't wait to see the game.

By the way what type of control schemes are you using for the game?

13. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey sorry for the late reply, and I appreciate the comment can't wait to show you more of our work, and as for the control scheme we are still testing, but The controls are fairly simple, it uses accelerometer for sideways movement, tapping of buttons that will be added later, and swiping the screen for jumping and sliding. Thanks again =)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  14. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everyone just wanted to show some of our current W.I.P with the Enemy Models and In-Game Models that are textured.

MODEL/TEXTURE W.I.P

Zombie Male and Female Meshes Texture W.I.P

ASSET MODEL W.I.P

Vehicles Texture W.I.P

City Street Barricades Asset Textures W.I.P

We still have a lot of work that we are doing and it's coming along great. If you have any questions, comment, or critics I will be happy to reply back to you soon as I can. Appreciate you guys for looking at our work, and can't wait to show more in the future =).

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  15. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Really like the normals you guys used. You're enviro models are looking amazing!

16. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey man I really appreciate that comment I worked really hard to bring out as much detail as possible in both textures and normals of the environment assets. Thanks you very much can't wait to show more :)

17. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everyone here are some more updates of our progress.

Paul has created a texture packer tool that allows models to share the same material by packing their textures together into atlas files and updating their UV coordinates. This will allow for fewer draw calls when running the game. We've have a rough draft of the HUD layout for the mobile device.

Paul is currently working on mecanim bases animation controllers for the player / zombies for smoother looking animations. He also added more obstacles and variations of
    obstacles, and their textures. He changed the way the weapon pickups spawn so that they will no longer spawn inside obstacles. The spawning of zombies has been improved, they can now pop up when least expecting and also will come from behind if you are stuck.

The driving ability of cars in the game has been improved as well, and various other bug fixes / code has been fixed.

Mobile Device HUD Template W.I.P

Q.A on the Game Mechanics

ASSET MODELING W.I.P

Vehicles Texture Completed (Regular Car)

City Street's Street Texture W.I.P

Custom Texture Packer W.I.P in Unity (Can hold 16 texture or more)

More to come soon as possible also the texture packer created by our lead programmer is available at the asset store. Thanks again guys can't wait to show more. ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  18. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Progress I'm showing is of the H.U.D Template for the mobile device, questions for our game mechanics, and use of our custom made Texture packer that Paul created.

19. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Here's the wip, texture looking cartoony just now, just trying to get the overall look of it and start making it more real looking.

Vehicles Texture W.I.P (Trailer Truck)

20. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

H.D.R.I TESTING of Asset props in the City Streets level.

Testing the textured props using the texture packer that Paul created, and seeing how the normals, and specular look as well. even when we have at least 16 textures on an texture atlas the textures are looking pretty good. This is still W.I.P, and we will keep bringing more updates soon.

21. jameos

jameos

so much more content since i last saw this!

22. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

I appreciate that man, but we still have a ways to go before we have a playable alpha ready. Testing, programming, and art creation is tedious, but worth it though.

23. jameos

jameos

i know im making one myself ive been working on for about a year now but when its finished and polished it'll defiantly be worth it.
    any ideas on selling this btw just curious :)

24. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Do we have someone here who knows what theyre doing :eek:

Nice progress so far, really appreciate the topology of everything, making the most out of the mesh and not going overboard.

25. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey that's what's up Jameos when you get a chance I really would like to have a link to your project, so I can see the power you are creating.

Appreciate your comment Charlie we are trying to optimize as much as possible by not over doing visuals, but balance everything to make sure the game plays and look good.

26. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

ATM we are getting our Alpha to a playable stage so you guys can try it for free. If our feedback from the game is good we will continue production until the City Street level is polished enough for a release.

27. jameos

jameos

i haven't yet posted anything about my project kinda kept it to myself.
    ps: made with blender
    screen.png

Sbarrion likes this.
  28. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Can't wait to see more once you are ready for the release looking good man keep at it.

29. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Vehicles Texture W.I.P (Trailer Truck)

No shaders on yet, just texture

jameos likes this.
  30. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hello everyone it's been a while I had to post, but problem with the team and work ethics, but all in all everything is back on schedule I hope you like our new updates.

Finished adding in the rest of the textures for the level assets which are packed into atlas files for diffuse, spec, and normal maps. Updated player controller and added new player model to use mecanim system and better looking animations. Added rifles and working on adding other various weapons to the game. Various other bug fixes and improvements to the code. Working on adding updated zombie models to the game and improve their AI and spawning behaviors, as well as giving them new mecanim controllers and animations.

T.R.D Alpha Game-Play Test with Player Model

City Street Environment Art 03 Completed

T.R.D Alpha Weapon Concept Art

T.R.D Alpha Level Asset Trailer Truck Model Completed

We will be bring more updates very soon once the enemies are in-game and tested. We will show an updated game-play video soon after. Appreciate you guys looking at our work and can't wait to show more very soon.;)

jameos likes this.
  31. piluve

piluve

This project looks amazing . The best of it is that you keep updating it and improving it.

Great job.

32. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Appreciate that man the last few weeks have been trail and error, but every is coming along nicely now. More to come very soon.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  33. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everyone we have more updates finally done adding in the zombies with their animations. They look awesome now we are working on adding damage and ragdolls and we are currently working on optimizing and perfecting the control schemes for mobile devices.

T.R.D Alpha Game Play testing Player and Enemies

I really appreciate the time you guys take to look at our progress, so let us know what you think feed back is always welcome.

Thank you =)

34. OussamaB

OussamaB

Great game. It seems that you are doing a lot of effort. It would be better if you could provide us with a web player so we can give you more feedback. I love the 3d models by the way.

35. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey appreciate that man we will have a playable Alpha by the end of this month with a questionnaire as well.

36. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Sorry Everyone for lack of communication on our progress my Laptop that I use for my workload, marketing and communication broke down on me so I had to put it to rest. I've finally was able to update to a nice Toshiba bundle that has a good amount of power for a good price. Still I'm back up and running and ready to show you guys more of our work.

TRD Alpha Release Date TBD
    Our Alpha had to be pushed back a little because of problems we are having with the game-play, but we will be releasing the game as a web player online this month for you guys to try out.

T.R.D City Streets AUDIO: DEAD CITY
    This is our track that will be playing during The Running Dead Alpha. The Track is called Dead City and it was created by Scott Graves.

Weapon Model Texture W.I.P (Lawn Mower)

HUD, GUI, and Heart Rate Monitor Update
    Paul has been working on the GUI and HUD before my computer went down, and besides adding in the basic options, which are the PAUSE BUTTON and PAUSE MENU was able to add the Health meter which is a Heart Rate Monitor, and it's looking pretty sweet. The biggest problem he had was creating the flat-line. Unity doesn't use GIF animations so he had to fix all the frames, and export all the layers individually so he could use or custom texture packer to make a sprite atlas.

We will have a video of the TRD Alpha ready soon as possible just working out the problems, and soon after the playable game for you all to try, critique, or comment, so we can push forward toward the final production. Thank you all for looking at our progress, and can't wait to bring more to you all.

37. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey everybody really excited because I can finally show a video game-play testing of our Alpha.

TRD Alpha Game-Play Testing #1

We're only showing the basic game-play for the Alpha because we want everyone to get the feel of the game. We aren't close to finish with the project, but wanted to show you guys where we are at. The zombies are using basic AI at the moment with no path finding. Their only goal is to attack the player, which means they are very hungry lol. Our main focus at the moment is game-play and Optimization, and by the end of this month we will have a testing for the Alpha that people can play online and have the link on this thread so you can play as well as give us feed back.

Weapon Model Texture Final Render (Lawn Mower)

I appreciate the time you guys take to look over our work.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  38. Fluzing

Fluzing

Looks cool, but the camera shaking is annoying to be honest. Can't look at it for more than a few seconds.

Sbarrion likes this.
  39. jococo

jococo

Love the name choice! lol! I will play this when it comes out for sure. I like the art sketches ( I think they are sketches?) because they remind me out the style used in The Walking Dead game for iOS. I hope that style makes it into the game.

One thing I noticed in the recent tralier is that you can sorta out run the zombies. Is there thought to putting in a stamina meter where you are forced to walk or stop and rest before you can run again?

Sbarrion likes this.
  40. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey I really appreciate both you guys comments. Yea there is still a lot of work we have to do to it, and our main focus ATM is the game-play and Optimization, so feed back and critiques are welcome so we can make improvements as we continue to work on the project so thank you. Want to improve our game's quality as we progress so thanks again.

PS: A stamina meter is doable and the lead designer and I were talking over it a month back as well so appreciate your input on that

41. Sbarrion

Sbarrion

Hey every body sorry for the being out of touch, but my team and I went over our progress of production and decided we should get the game to the playable beta.

CURRENT PROGRESS IN GAMES PRODUCTION

Paul has updated the camera slide, added in weapon pick ups, showing player equip, and when he runs out of ammo it waits 5 seconds then loses the gun and has normal animations. Also updated the physics, added in head shots and performance is looking good. When he slides also he added the time slow down.

We will spend the majority of our time in the first two quarters supporting the further development of The Running Dead by testing how to increase our user base ARPU.

(Texturing) Building Structure 01 W.I.P

Here is the progress of our buildings being textured by Kelvin Tam (Asset Modeler)

jameos likes this.
  42. lullaharsh

lullaharsh

Is this project still going on?