Search Unity

Welcoming Everyplay and GameAds to the Unity family

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We are very happy to announce that we have acquired Applifier, read the full story

2. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Will there only be video ads, or banners and interstitials too?

3. TheDMan

TheDMan

I dunno. Real gamers use Fraps and YouTube for their ingame video captures. I've been a part of several gaming clans and gaming groups for the past 9 years and I've never heard of this Everplay.

As for the GameAds, in-game ads are abnoxious, and gamers hate them.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Everyplay is nothing like Fraps. Good luck getting that running on an iPhone, for one thing. As for ads, they're commonplace on mobile and typical of how free games earn money. Like how the Flappy Bird guy was getting $50K per day.

--Eric

5. TheDMan

TheDMan

Who the hell wants video of their iPhone game play?

"Oooo, look at this awesome candy swipe/fruit swipe/flappy crap move I just did .... I need to video and share it now". Pffft LOL, get real.

As for the Flappy Bird guy, he may have been getting $50k per day on ads, but how much money funneled away from him for using ads? What, anywhere between 10% - 40%? Why pay others for something they had no hand it, so they can leech off profits. He would have been better off selling it outright and keeping the profit for his work.

6. Archania

Archania

Wow. Such negativity. And if you can see how a video of a game play might come into play in certain games, you might be not expanding your horizon there.
    But guess what, people will use it and may/may not be successful but I'll give them credit for trying something.

7. TheDMan

TheDMan

Its not negativity, its called realism. Know your market well.

I guarantee most of developers here arent moderate to hardcore gamers, and dont have a single clue as to what they like and dont like. I've spent years with a very large variety of gamers and gaming groups. I know what they are like.

8. Kondor0

Kondor0

We get it, you don't like it. That doesn't mean that it can't be useful for other people's project.

9. Archania

Archania

OK if you say so. Guess all the instant replay in sport games and all the clips of game play people post is nothing good. And yes there are other ways to record.
    And making statements about who/what people are not the best thing to do. Remember this is the internet, you only know what people type and not the real person behind it.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You don't know what gaming in general is like, apparently. There's way more to it than hardcore PC gamers. Unity covers a broad market and the acquisitions make sense, and will probably be used quite a bit by Unity users. I personally don't care for ads and don't tend to play ad-supported games, and the majority of my gaming is computer gaming, but I'm able to recognize market realities outside my specific interests. So yes, you would do well to acquire a healthy sense of realism and to understand the market that Unity is actually in.

--Eric

11. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

hmm, what should I pass on showImpact()?

12. jaybennett

jaybennett

@TheDMan you just got told, son

13. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Wow. The amount of egocentrism in this post is quite high, isn't it? The views of most individuals do not revolve around your very small – in comparison to the big picture – experience. (and to think Piaget said the preoperational stage ends at 7 years old :p)

14. Arowx

Arowx

It can also be a great bug finding tool as the user could video the problem area and send it to the developer.

15. TheDMan

TheDMan

So first you say I dont know what I'm talking about, then later personally admit to the exact same thing I mentioned ... and you think you are just a small part of the population that feels that way, you arent!

Just because you dont like hearing the truth doesnt mean its not real. Why do you think so many of the people on this very forum have failed to make a single dollar on their game. Sugar coating and pretending like its some open wide broad spectrum of market realities is just not the case.

The truth is that some casual gamers will spend a little money, most wont. Not because the games arent good, or arent worth their work, they are. Its because its for people who are on their break, or on the bus, or stuck waiting somewhere, or you are on the S***ter, its a random mobile app 5-10 minute boredom killer, and its not worth much to them. Then you have the casual gamers at work/office that dick around and play because they can (things like facebook games, flash games, webbrowser games .... things they can close quickly if needed) they're not going to spend anything either because they dont need to, theres too much free stuff available anywhere. Majority of casuals are mobile and webbrowser gamers.

Then you have moderate gamers. People who game more than casuals, but are doing it for secondary reasons. Reasons such as they are gamblers, and they play gambling games (fake gambling) to get better so when they actually do gamble they think they are better at it. These moderates do it for personal secondary incentives (with a 50/50 split for pleasure and incentive). They tend to spend more in in-app buys. I'd say its a 50/50 split between mobiles/webbrowser users and computer users .... they'll use whatever they can find to fit their niche interest.

Then the hardcore gamers can be split into multiple groupings. Ranging from obsessives to pure reality escapists. They will spend big to feed the obsession and hobby. They will go overboard, spending money they dont even have. They are picky because they have invested into it. Majority fall into computer and console gamers.

Oh please. Grow up.

16. TheDMan

TheDMan

And yet you dont provide a single piece of agrument proving what I said was incorrect and not factual.

Because you cant.

17. Aurore

Aurore

It's still currently video ads.

---------------------------------------------

EveryPlay has been adopted in over 300 iOS and Android games and they have 7 million registered players sharing content [source]

Mobile games have changed immensely over the years and players want to share their experiences. I've caught myself wanting to show someone something dumb in Ski Safari: Adventure Time just as much as I want to share a boulder hurtling towards me from the dam exploding in Battlefield 4. This makes for a fantastic way for devs to build and engage their community of players.

18. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@TheDMan - What you present here as "truth" is in fact your personal experience and opinion. Back up your statements with numbers, links, facts - otherwise it's just a whole lot of talk. Besides, Everyplay is geared towards mobile market from my understanding which is probably the reason why you haven't heard about it.

19. L-Tyrosine

L-Tyrosine

Any future chance to GameAds be available to use in webplayer builds?

20. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

This! Really good thinking. I haven't thought about that but your right, this would make a great tool for real players to find and report bugs to the devs.

21. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Says you, who has yet to provide any proof whatsoever. I'd rather not spend my time scouting for numbers just so I can beat a dead horse.

22. rextr09

rextr09

I have been using Everyplay for months with my game and happy with it. The only thing that bothers me is that they recently started to include video ads injected into your replays. Are you going to remove these ads for Unity Pro users?
    $everyplay.png

23. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hmm I think this is kind of... Bad!

24. Aurore

Aurore

Everything is going to stay the same for now, but as always we listen so I'll pass this on.

25. Walter86

Walter86

I'm trying to integrate Applifier in my project but I'm feeling a bit stupid because I'm not able to. I'm trying to follow these instructions, but they don't work (or I'm doing some silly mistake).
    I couldn't find this unity package. I only found applifier-impact-mobile.unitypackage.
    The inspector has 2 components, both missing. They are scripts, so I manually added ApplifierImpactMobile to the first and ApplifierImpactTest to the second, but the options I see are different from the one in the guide (I have Game ID, Debug Mode and Test Mode, but I'm missing the others). If build the project when I use Xcode to test it on my iPhone the build fails with the error 'ApplifierImpact/ApplifierImpact.h' file not found.

What am I supposed to do? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for reading :)

26. hamstar

hamstar

Hey Walter

I'm only just looking at this for the first time myself, but I think the docs are pretty out of date. Try downloading and importing Everyplay directly from the asset store. Everyplay includes GameAds (formerly known as Applifier).

Then use the GameAds prefab found in Assets/Plugins/GameAds.

This code is working for me. I found I had to have Debug Mode disabled, otherwise the adverts would only ever appear once. Test Mode is enabled (app in not published or approved yet).
    Code (csharp):
    2. if (EveryplayGameAds.isSupported()
    3.      EveryplayGameAds.canShowCampaigns()
    4.      EveryplayGameAds.canShowImpact()) {
    5.         // string passed to showImpact is zoneId
    6.         // Ad Placement ID you setup on the GameAds Dashboard under Monetize > Games
    7.         EveryplayGameAds.showImpact("11111-default");
    8. }

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  27. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Hey, now. One of the great breakthroughs in modern science is treating each case individually. So, for a certain case, maybe the preoperational stage dosen't end until well after 7?

28. Walter86

Walter86

Thanks a lot for your answer, finally it works :)

29. stechmann

stechmann

So now I can stream videos from my game...

But still no Google Play Services!!! Still no In-Game Payments!!!!!!!

I think its sad that Helgasson is going around buying companies like Everplay, but fails to deliver on a feature that had originally been announced for Unity 3.5! (Payments)

Also, 1500$ for Android Pro and it doesnt even support Google Play Services... bit of a joke really.

When will Unity focus again on fundamental features that every game and every developer urgently needs?

30. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Google has a plugin(made by google) for this, go download it.

31. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey, I noticed it said only mobile games... Why not webplayer or other platforms? It just doesn't make sense to me limiting it to mobile... Having ads on a webplayer game would be VERY useful. This way you wouldn't have to worry about who is hosting it, in fact the more sites you can get your game on, the better. In the end it would all come back to you.

randomperson42 likes this.
  32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

++;

33. L-Tyrosine

L-Tyrosine

+1

34. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Will the video recording work for a PC game ?
    (didn’t find any info on the website)

35. tswalk

tswalk

Would we be able to incorporate everyplay/gamead banners into our websites as a part of this network? perhaps something as simple as a wordpress plugin to promote our products as well as others (and would it be monetizable?)

36. tstpierre_nss

tstpierre_nss

I'm seeing an ad come once or twice, then getting AndroidJavaException: java.lang.NullPointerException in subsequent calls to the same code that worked previously.

And the delegate for CampaignFailed isn't triggering either...

Anyone have some real documentation on how to integrate this instead of the outdated github wiki?

37. manera

manera

I'm having this exact same exception. No one knows why yet?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  38. Aurore

Aurore

So far this is still mobile only, I'll get someone to take a look at the error. In the future its best to post technical issues in the support forum.

39. trinta

trinta

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the delay in getting a response to this, can you send the full stacktrace to support@everyplay.com? We're currently updating our docs, there's one version at https://docs.applifier.com/ but that still carries the old name of the product "Applifier Impact".

40. GilesC9

GilesC9

How long does it take for a game to be approved for ads on Applifier? I find it's a little silly that games have to be published first. So far for me it's been longer than 24hrs so my game has been out without ads.. Especially inconvenient when I offer a paid ad free version.

41. trinta

trinta

Unity Technologies

Generally it takes about one business day. With increasing interest, we're ramping up the resources to review this, and may waive the review requirement in the future altogether. Can you tell me the name of your game, or drop an email about it to support@everyplay.com and I'll check it out right away.

42. GilesC9

GilesC9

Paper City Defender Free. Cheers! :) I also emailed too!

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  43. coolpowers

coolpowers

Are you two also using AdMob? I get the same exception after the first run but only when I have AdMob enabled.

44. ironfiftynine

ironfiftynine

I 'm experiencing the same problem as Walter86 but checking the Unity Package in the asset store, I can't see the GameAds prefab that is mentioned here. It's not included when I checked the Asset Store page.

45. Pix10

Pix10

It does appear the current (1.8.0.1) package is different to the previous one and is missing the GameAds folder contents. I've had no time to look into it further myself yet.

$GameAds.JPG

46. ironfiftynine

ironfiftynine

Ok thanks for the confirmation. I tried using the Applifier unity package instead but I always get the Fetch Failed notification when using my game's zone id.

47. asancio

asancio

They removed gameads from the package (i think they want to create 2 separate packages)... but not informing the users about this is not cool (nothing even in the release notes), this created some issues to us.

I expect unity official packages to be managed in a more professional way...

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  48. devbr

devbr

49. ConjureScape

ConjureScape

I'm trying the game ads and sometimes (about every 5th time) it will crash. The sample video starts, then says "buffering" and "This video ends in 6 seconds". Here it stays and the only way to recover is to restart the game.
    This is on iOS. It's unlikely to be network problems, but even if it is..applifier should detect that the buffering failed and then abort the video advertisement. I cannot launch my app with this bug.

50. Aurore

Aurore

If you're having problems, please create a separate thread about it.