Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Double Barrelled : Blake Killem vs Mars

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by alexfeature, Mar 11, 2014.

1. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys Gals,

Today I would like to share some of the stuff that we have been working on for DB. Some of you may recognize the main character Blake and the critters from this post (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/19...-on-a-mission-to-save-every-last-science-babe).

It's still the same game just we got a better name for it, at least we think we did :D

It' s been a while since our last update. Partially it's because we are busy working on all the cool stuff we are dying to share and partially because we are lazy. This update is not nearly as juicy as I would like it to be but it's a start.

First, we started a new youtube channel that you can find here (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIQxQZQucnyTJzNFLPt4GOQ). It's still far from perfect or even adequate, but we are working on it.

We've also started putting together a website. It's nowhere near ready so I'm not even going to talk about it.

Now, as far as the new stuff is concerned one of the coolest happenings was the long awaited upgrade for Blake. He got a serious overhaul and is currently getting rigged.

Here is what he looked like before

$spaceman_render3.jpg

and here is what he looks like now

$spacemanNEW_render01.jpg

Our 3D guys gave him detachable elements, so we can change his gear on the fly. It will be pretty cool to see how it actually works in game. But that's still a bit far away.

Currently we are working a few cool features that should be ready soonish. If all goes well we will post a few videos with enemy AI working before hell freezes over.

We will be back shortly...Stay tuned!
    - Alex

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys,

Our 3D crafters were kind enough to share concepts of some new mobs they are working on. Feast your eyes on these :D

$igm-science-babe-01.png

$igm-tank-01.png

$igm-zombie-babe-01.png

- Alex

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Excellent concepts man! The top guy remindes me of Buzz Lightyear a little bit xD
    Really like that comical but still within reasonable realistic limits feel :D Keen to see some gameplay!

4. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey,

I'm glad you like them mate. We're actually working on putting together a video but it's still far away from any kind of ready.
    If you would like you can follow our progress on all the staple social outlets :)

YouTube Channel : http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIQxQZQucnyTJzNFLPt4GOQ
    Twitter : https://twitter.com/deVoidStudios https://twitter.com/blakekillem
    Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/doublebarrelled

These are still in awful condition but we are working on getting them all bright and shiny. +3 Sparkles / +4 Glitters

- Alex

5. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys,

Today I got some more concepts from guys at S3D Games for you. We are working round the clock to get stuff ready for the Indiegogo campaign and luckily our artists are keeping us inspired proper.

$igm-charger-01.png

$igm-sarge-01.png

$igm-smuggler-babe-01.png

We will be updating this thread more frequently from now on as we try to finalize the general look and feel for Double Barrelled. So, if you have any ideas or suggestion for postprocess effects, shaders or anything in between please let us know. There are a lot of great looking games out there and we want to make ours look at least a quarter as good :D

Anything that will give our game that awesome, trashy, 90's B movie feel is welcome.

- Alex

6. TheRaider

TheRaider

I assume you are going for the duke nukem humour vibe however I think you are sitting on the new duke side rather than the old duke. Personally I just find it crude rather than funny. I get what you are going for, but a lot of those 90's B movies, the memorable ones were crude and clever (not just crude).

The art style is pretty cool however.

7. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey,

Hm, well I guess we may have gone over the top on a few things here and there but that wasn't intentional. Interestingly enough I haven't touched the new Duke game. It just got too many bad reviews from unbiased (as far as I'm concerned) reviewers.

Thanks for the criticism. I'll keep what you said in mind.

What movies were memorable to you from that era? Which ones do you think were clever and 'sexy'?

8. TheRaider

TheRaider

My favourite was a movie come TV series called Lexx http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx

Also Red Dwarf was pretty funny although not as "sexy".

The new Duke was bad because it tried so hard to outdo the original dukes and end up becoming very try hard. It didn't help the game was ordinary to go with it, but duke games were never the best graphics and immersed people in the Duke world. Probably lucky for you but I couldn't resist and bought it no matter what the reviews said because it was duke.

9. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey James,

I've never even heard of these two. Man...living in the Eastern Block sucked big time. Luckily the internet never forgets.

As for the Duke, I suppose you are right. Even so I loved the first three games, my fondest childhood memories got Duke 1 jumping along side Dangerous Dave.

Thanks for the links mate. I can hear my NAS getting fatter as I'm writing this :D

10. TheRaider

TheRaider

If you are going to watch lexx and just picking a little to watch look at the TV series rather than the movie, it is faster and more humorous.

They are both cult shows which were low on production value but had a strong following. Lexx in particular has the most insane plots and setting. If i tried to tell you I would sound like a kid just making stuff up.

11. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Peeps,

Just a quick post to let everyone (or the 3.7 people that cared enough to read our previous posts :D) know that we've added Blake to IndieDB. So if you are a fan of that awesome hangout come and visit us there. Leave your comments, hateful bashes, hugs and/or praises.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. alexfeature

alexfeature

Evening Everyone,

We had a busy week working on DB and hopefully in a couple of days we will have something to show for it. For now have a look at a few screens that we have lovingly prepared for your veiwing pleasure.

$ss-ammo-icons-01.png

$ss-map-01.png

Also don't forget to visit our page on IndieDB - Double Barrelled : Blake Killem vs Mars. Soon we will have the forums setup on IndieDB so that you guys could leave us your comments and discuss various game's systems in style.

- Alex

13. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys and Gals,

Lots of cool stuff is slowly making its way into DB and we are working hard to get it all working so we could show it off. We've also expanded our ranks recently, at the end of the day this should translate into more cool stuff to show off.

In the mean time I do have a cool illustration to share with you. This is from our esteemed 2D artist Darko Kreculj, if you are interested you can check out his profile on DeviantArt.

$banner-profile-banner-01.png

Aliens found a Doors 160th Anniversary holodisk floating about the remains of some ancient human space station. Best we can figure is that they thought the scariest form they could take was Jim Morrison. Go figure.

- Alex

14. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hi Guys,

There were a few small updates on our IndieDB page. Those so inclined can check em out here.

We've also posted a tutorial on how we handle fading of meshes that obstruct the view of the camera's target. You can read it here there is also a loooong video that goes with it.

Here is a quick overview of what the tutorial is all about.

...and in case you are too lazy to click the link here is the video

If you spot any mistakes or have any suggestions slash improvements or want to see some new features added to the Mesh Fading system please let me know.

- Alex

15. alexfeature

alexfeature

Morning Dudes and Dudettes,

A brief update since we like to take it easy around here :)

First, here is a video of our awesome gunslinger talking trash.

Yian is the awesome voice behind our hero. Drew added some cool effects to make the lines seem as if they are coming from a device / comlink thingy.

We are also progressing on the showcase demo / presentation thing that should be almost as fun to watch as it will be to actually play the damn thing.
    At least we think so.

We've also created a Steam Greenlight (Concept) entry and we humbly invite you to check it out and cast your 'fake' YES votes. Every little bit of publicity helps. If you like our game please share it with your friends.

There is more cool stuff on the way guys so don't go away.

- Alex

16. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys and Gals,

It's been a while since our last update here on the Unity forums. Those who follow us on IndieDB probably already had a chance to see these. At any rate here is what we've been up to lately...enjoy.

DISCLAIMER : The skill icons are NOT ours and have been taken from random images on the web. They will not feature in the game or in future updates.

Some dialog heads that Darko created for Sarge.

Last but not least :DD

As we've mentioned many times before the video is...still...almost ready :)

- Alex

17. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since the last update. This time we got a short video for you. Everything is very very very unpolished so don't expect to see anything extraordinary.

Video shows some very basic player controls and camera setup. You will also have a chance to see a crude version of the intro scene that will most likely change into something a little fancier. Anyways, have a look and tell us what you think.

( the good stuff starts at 1:40 ;) )

We are working on more demo areas now and should have something more elaborate set up by the end of the month.

Regards,
    Alex

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  18. TheRaider

TheRaider

This is one of the worst trailers ever. Making you sit through 1.45 to get to the actual gameplay is a joke especially when it is so boring. Then when you actually show the gameplay graphically it looks really good but I doubt many people are going to hold out that bore fest to get to it.

19. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Yup.

20. alexfeature

alexfeature

Well thanks for that :)

Look on the bright side though...you will not see the boring intro in the next video.

Laters,
    Alex

21. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Wow that was entirely too harsh. I don't know what they are on about alexfeature. I liked the little intro story.

"while there might not be a right way to say something, there is definitely a wrong way to say it"

22. carking1996

carking1996

Don't put a wall of text in front of a trailer. Or make then wait 1:45 to see gameplay. Show some, then do gameplay, show more, then gameplay.

23. TheRaider

TheRaider

Sorry you took offence, but it was honest feedback. That is why people post here because all your friends always say everything is great to be nice.

24. TheRaider

TheRaider

You could even just put the voice over the gameplay if you are that attached to it.

25. zenGarden

zenGarden

I like the look of your game :)
    I started long time ago a similar game on indiedb with same cartoonish style , but instead it's a TPS and centered in action mainly with some puzzles.
    Keep the good work.

26. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the input, both positive and negative and I do mean that. But it seems to me that nowadays unless you include an essay of a disclaimer or hold the viewers by the hand the entire time things start to get ugly.

If you didn't like the look of the game or presentation of the intro that's fine. Each person is entitled to his opinion but that doesn't mean you should express that opinion quite like you did. Calling it 'honest feedback' doesn't make it any less painful either.

Regardless, any bit of feedback helps so the more people express their opinion the easier it will be for us to judge how well we are doing in terms of presenting our ideas.

I would like to address some of the points raised:
    • This is not a trailer as it were. It's just a preview of some of the things we've been working on. We weren't comfortable with putting more gameplay footage because it wasn't that pretty and needed more work;
    • The intro is definitely long. We do want it that way though. There is a story to tell so some reading will be involved. Granted the logos and other nonsense will need to be slimmed down a bit but that's not important at this time;
    • It's a wall of text because the game is inspired by many movies from the 80's - 90's. For us this style was closest to the way intros were done back then. Think of Judge Dredd or Running Man same kind of thing. It may be difficult to pull this off since nowadays players are used to amazing intro videos sometimes worth more in production costs than an the damn game but it's important to us to create the right atmosphere;
    • When we have a more feature-rich build to show there will be a narrated video because that is indeed the best way to explain the features and get the right kind of feedback;
    That's pretty much it. I hope the next video will be less of a disappointment to everyone :D

Regards,
    Alex

GarBenjamin likes this.
  27. zenGarden

zenGarden

@Alex :
    I also don't like borring long intro , like other games doing the same i will skip it , or do something else and come back to the game once it is done.
    What you should do :
    - Only short text intro, when your character found something or enter a new zone, it displays another short text intro. For example discovering a new weapon, the game display a new image and short text intro speaking about the war that happened, or discovering some crashed site another intro pull up and show what happened recently.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  28. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Hey, I'm not sorry. What's true is true.

29. alexfeature

alexfeature

@zenGarden
    Thanks for the suggestion but this is something that we did on purpose. Of course the intention was not to bore you to death :)

Like I already said we will do something about the unnecessarily long credits but the text crawl will stay as is because we think it should.

30. TheRaider

TheRaider

Don't worry as boring as it was I still have pulse (barely). Obviously it is your choice to ignore community feedback but you will obviously expect plenty more negative reactions towards it. I hope you at least do the responsible thing and put a skip button so there isn't a youtube craze recording themselves trying to last to end on the intro and mothers crying when blake killem intro'ing bored their child to death.

If my feedback was out of line in your opinion you are going to have a hard time in the game industry. Your game is screaming for criticism both legit and not legit due to content. If my watered down point made you feel bad be glad I didn't type what I was actually thinking!!! :) :) :)

31. alexfeature

alexfeature

@TheRaider
    • I don't think my comments were hostile or disrespectful. If you think I was ignoring your comment then I apologise for not expressing myself well enough to show my gratitude for your time and effort;
    • Just because you gave an opinion doesn't mean that we should accept it or do anything about it;
    • Me telling you that your suggestion may not be the right thing for us doesn't mean we don't care about what you or other people think of the game. We have our own vision for this project and in the end we will do what we think is best;
    • If you have things to say don't be afraid to share them. Asking me to be glad that you weren't speaking your mind is immature and rude;
    • Before being outright disrespectful to other peoples work take a moment and look at your own creations with the same level of criticism and attitude;

@Everyone

Guys this thread is slowly crawling over to a dark place. I kindly ask everyone to stick to comments about the content of the game and not the comments themselves.

I would rather spend my time reading suggestions and ideas that don't revolve around the length of credits or the typeface we used. These things are easily fixed and are simply not worth the effort at this point in time.

Give us some ideas for monsters or NPCs, events, one liners anything and everything. Help us create a fun game that you would like to play some day. If we ever finish it that is :D

Regards,
    Alex

32. zenGarden

zenGarden

Sure, like any other games you will have good and bad feedback , sometimes you must ignore insisting people and only reply to feedbakc that make you progress.
    Just browse deivant art site concepts to find monster designs, for events look at some Sci Fi movie story plots :)

33. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Peeps,

Been awhile since we update this thread. You can check out some of the cool (at least we think so) progress we made on this project over at IndieDB.

Yesterday we posted a short demo video of chat bubbles implemented using the new Unity UI system. While they are not perfect they do look pretty cool. You can check out the video on our YouTube Channel.

We will be posting an overview of how the whole thing was implemented later today so if you want some ideas for doing something like this in your own game drop by our page on IndieDB.

That's all for today folks. Stay tuned, we will be back soon...ish.
    - Alex