Search Unity

[Newbie] Can't Start Bootcamp Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by KrisSchnee, Mar 9, 2014.

1. KrisSchnee

KrisSchnee

Hello. I started playing with Unity a few days ago. My current experience level is that I just got through downloading the "Robot Lab" files and making a nifty spinning box with them.

I'm trying to do the introductory tutorial at http://code.tutsplus.com/articles/getting-started-with-unity--active-8031 , involving the "Bootcamp" project. The tutorial says it's slightly obsolete, but I figured it'd still work, and I liked the detailed instructions for working with it.

Unfortunately, I can't really get started. I went to the Asset Store through Unity and hit "Download" for the main Bootcamp link. This happened:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Moving file failed
    2. Moving
    3. C:/Users/owner/Documents/Unity/Temp/tempFile1 to
    4. C:/Users/owner/Documents/Unity/Temp/tempFile
    6. (My input: "Try again")
    8. Moving file failed
    9. Moving C:/Users/owner/Documents/Unity/Temp/tempFile to
    10. C:/Users/owner/Documents/Unity/library/metadata/be/[long hex string] failed: Access is denied.
    12. Got the first error again. Hit "Try again". Got a window saying "Hold on" and continuing to load various files for several minutes, eg. graphics.
    But then, the tutorial said: "Once you've downloaded and installed Unity, go ahead and launch it, and if the 'Bootcamp' project doesn't load at startup then select 'File -> Open Project' and browse to the newly installed 'Bootcamp Demo' folder. For Windows users this should be installed somewhere similar to 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Unity Projects'..."

I select "Open Project", but can't find anything to open. There's a "Bootcamp" directory under C:\Users\Owner\Assets, but that doesn't count as a project directory, and there's no sign of a project file, or directory, or anything.

It'd be a shame to give up on what looks like a good, thorough tutorial, but should I shrug and figure that it's just broken in current versions of Unity?

EDIT: I see that there's a "Unity Projects" folder under C:\Documents\Public Documents\ rather than C:\Documents\My Documents. Silly file structure on my part, apparently? But still, no obvious Bootcamp folder. It does look like there's one for AngryBots. Is there a comparable text tutorial for that, or are they all videos?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014