Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Horror Game [WIP]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Heu, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Heu

Heu

Welcome to my 5000th attempt at a horror game (seriously, look at my past WIP threads, its just... sad...)

Anyways, I'm here to showcase my 2D Sidescrollin' Horror game. Don't have much to say about the game so far, so I'll let the screenshot and dropbox link do the talking.

Here's a dropbox link for a quick demo. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67760294/Public.html

Newest Versions
    03/15/14 - Build01
    03/19/14 - Build01.5
    03/26/14 - Build02
    04/3/14 - Build03[One month milestone]
    04/11/14 - Build03.5l <-- Newest Version

Controls
    WASD - Move
    Hold L-Shift - Run
    Mouse - Flashlight
    F - Toggle Flashlight
    E - Action

Any early feedback and or criticism is greatly appreciated!

$wallpaper099.png

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. Blacklight

Blacklight

If I hold my mouse over the player I can shine my light in both directions at once :p

Also I can barely see anything even with the light. It's way to dark.

3. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

I second this. I had no idea if I was even moving or not.

4. jameos

jameos

something that alot of 'new' horror games i hate is the fact is too dark to tell whats going on having only a little flashlight i hope u consider putting some alternative light sources in.

5. Heu

Heu

I guess I didn't factor in other brightness of other computers, because it's really lit for me. I will brighten the scene a lot more.
    Thank you for the criticism.

6. jameos

jameos

its cool man maybe a brightness slider at the menu anyways have you ever checked out lake-view cabin its an online flash game but i think itll be good inspiration good luck!

7. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

Ive been thinking making a 2d horror game for months, and i might start the project soon. But i have one question. How did you make the 2d sprites react to the light source? Or arent u using the 2d features?

8. Heu

Heu

I used http://u3d.as/content/reverie-interactive/2d-volumetric-lights/36x to create the lighting effect and then use a custom shader provided by this asset on the sprite to make it react to the lights.

9. Heu

Heu

Here's a newer version I've been working on
    Build01

Stuff Worked On
    • User Interface
      I've been fiddling with how I want the User Interface to look like, I've been testing with the flashlight interface you can see in the bottom left corner, it has battery percentage and how much batteries you have. Each battery will refill itself to 100%, light is affects with the percentage as well. 100% = fully lit, 20% = not lit at all.​
    • Lighting
      Lighting is a big challenging here, not sure if it's too dark or too lit for my likings or yours, but I've been working on how lit the game should be in certain areas, hopefully i'll get it right soon.​
    • Sounds
      Working slightly on sounds (even though I shouldn't be), just seeing how everything sounds whether it sounds to loud or not. Nothing really big.​
    • Hiding Ability
      You can now hide by pressing E on the wardrobe in the game, it's a bit clunky and nowhere near perfect.​

**Bugs Known - Flashlight bugs when mouse over character // character falls through map sometimes

** Please comment if you believe there can be anything changed or anything that seems to wrong such as the lighting being to dark or lit, whether the hiding seems clunky or bugged in anyway, or how I can improve on anything. I'm willing to listen to anything.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  10. Heu

Heu

Another Build!

Build01.5
    **It's 1.5, cause I won't be able to work on it this weekend, so I wanted to get something out early and that it's not entirely what I wanted to acomplish this week. :C

Stuff Worked On
    • Enemy AI
      The enemy... well doesn't do much, the enemy will spawn behind you (at a certain point, not randomly) and basically chase you and that's basically all it does. It will get destroyed if you chose to hide. I'm not liking how the AI is working and I really wanted to make it waaaaaaaaay more complex or something than this, because this is just slender 2d... Gotta get back to the drawing board on my AI Design​
    • Random Crap
      Yup random crap, Im starting this groove where I just start creating random stuff, including random sprites, jumpscare moments, and random coding. Should start working on story ideas/mechanics/AI, but eh what the heck making random crap keeps my attention. Oh and eh you can run now! Yay!​
    • Bugs/Code Fixing
      Managed to fix the whole flashlight buggin' out when your mouse is on your character, fixed a few ugly scripts and made em a bit nicer.​

Umm well, my thinking I should probably get back to the drawing board slightly with my whole design, but I still want the game's direction pointed towards everything I have. I just can't get the right atmosphere I wanted. I dun know. Opinions and Criticism are welcomed as always.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  11. Heu

Heu

Here we go with Build 2!
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67760294/Versions/Build02/Build02.html

Things Worked On
    • Level Design
      I'm starting to create the levels and a story to go with the game right now, I have everything I want and this webplayer showcases an event during the game.​
    • Atmosphere
      Workin' pretty hard on the atmosphere, with a static-ee camera, dark areas, sounds.​
    • Random Stuff Again
      More random stuff to get my attention such as sprites and editing ugly scripts.​

I'm feeling really good about this version, It has everything I wanted! The only thing I want to fix a bit is the atmosphere, Feedback about the atmosphere is very welcome.

"Does the area make you feel uneasy?", because I don't want to depend on jumpscares all the time.
    Oh and no flashlight in this version. :)

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  12. TheCowMan

TheCowMan

I just played the newest version and it was great:) When the hanging guy appeared it actually creeped me out with the swinging noises and when he vanished it just added to the awesomeness :D Good job!

13. gwubgwub

gwubgwub

I like this its pretty cool, played it with headphones on and got a little jump followed by me saying "F***er", Anyway cool stuff look forward to the next update.

14. kvick

kvick

This is cool man :D. What you have so far is pretty solid just add more stuff to it to flesh out the story, I wouldn't necessarily think it needs super crazy AI or anything.

Like is this supposed to be my guy's house? I'm assuming so because he says he's not hungry when you click on the fridge, you could do more to establish that with the artwork in the environment or have a little segment where he's waking up cause he fell asleep watching TV. It feels a bit like he wandered into the house considering he(or you, the player) didn't know there was a hanging body. Maybe you could establish that he lives there and everything works fine, like all the lights are good, maybe even start it in daytime but then one switch he goes to flick turns on but breaks and as you find a replacement bulb in the basement he comes back up and starts to hear the hanging man squeaking sound.

I'm just kinda spitballin' random ideas here, I like what you have so far keep going! :D

15. Heu

Heu

Thank you very much! It's great to get some good feedback.

Thank you! Updates are usually every week or so.

Oh no this webplayer has no story components at all, the fridge was simply a test. The story won't be in these webplayers at all (don't want to ruin the story). I do like the ideas although, will look into them.

16. Heu

Heu

Update 03, Build 03 is now up

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67760294/Versions/Build03/Build03.html

Feeling very good about this one. I think I may have about everything basic completed!

Worked On
    • More Levels
      Basically more levels adding in a forest and basement scene.​
    • AI
      The biggy here. Been working on the AI. Once you get to the basement level you can fiddle around with the AI as much as you want by pressing R to reset the scene. The AI will now teleport behind you when you get close, and from there it will either chase you or walk away. If you are being chased you must find a hiding spot and from there, the AI will wander around, be careful not to leave your hiding spot to soon.​
    • More Randoms
      And as always more random bug fixes, script cleaning, random stuff.​

Here's a video of slightly older version 02.5 if your in a rush[unreleased]

17. Heu

Heu

Updated Version 03.5 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67760294/Versions/Build03.5/Build03.5.html

Version 03.5, because I hated the new AI and I've found it to have many glitches and errors every day, I redid it all. Also I've been pretty pissed off lately with the project... Stuff just ain't workin' and I'm slamming my table :p. So here it is, basically new AI and a few fixes here and there.

Enjoy!

18. jameos

jameos

its really working out man i love it :D well done

19. tweedie

tweedie

Ahh don't worry about the frustration! ;) Are you still working on this? :( It was looking promising!

Honestly; it's looking really nice. I'm not very good with horror games, I get creeped out pretty easily, but I think the style and atmosphere are working very well here. Keep it up! It'll be cool to see how it goes. Though, after trying the webplayer, I think I'll stick to your videos for now ;)

20. Heu

Heu

Im still working on this on my free time (which is very little free time). I'm currently working on another project for school, so I put my priority on that one. I plan to start working on this one once I am done with school, possibly to rewrite and redo some aspects of this game.

21. tweedie

tweedie

Good news, I know how school takes your projects over, I'm having to let it take priority over my own at the moment! Glad to hear you're still working on it though, albeit slowly :)