Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Release] Hide-n-Seek Winter (A Free toon advenutre game with lots of snow!)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by snowconesolid, Mar 7, 2014.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

UPDATE 4/11/2014

I just posted this whole update on my dev blog but I guess it wouldn't hurt to post it here as well.

"Hide-n-Seek Winter" Is Now Available on Desura!

Hello everyone. Just posting to say that my recent toon adventure game "Hide-n-Seek Winter" is now available to play on Desura! The game is part of the "Freedom Friday's" promotion Desura has going on. The game of course will always be a free to play game even after today.

If you use Desura and haven't played "Hide-n-Seek Winter" yet, you can check it out over here on the Desura Website:

Desura (Link to Game)

I hope you give it a try and enjoy the game!

Thanks Everyone!
    Off topic, this is a personal achievement for me and the "indie game dev" thing I have going on because this is my first game that gets accepted and published on Desura. So I am very happy to say that "Hide-n-Seek Winter" was a big step up compared to my other game titles and I look forward to continue making games and sharing them with everyone to play.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has been supporting me and following my games, artwork, dev blog and so on. I appreciate it. The people playing my games, giving me feedback and advice is what keeps me motivated to continue making games.

With all that said I think this might be the final update I post for "Hide-n-Seek Winter". It is time for me to move onto my next game projects. I can't wait to share what titles I have planned next!

Thanks once again and more projects soon!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE 3/23/1014

The game is now available on IndieDB. This is the fourth website It has been published to.

Check it out over here:
    Hide-n-Seek Winter On IndieDB

The game will also be available on Desura soon hopefully. I will post another update when it is.

Off topic, but also I created some new artwork for the game. :)

This is the boxart/boxshot I created for the games profile on Desura and IndieDB:

This is the profile banner I created for my game to display on its Desura and IndieDB page:

And here is the most recent artwork I created. It was more of a personal render I created just to display on my blog/ personal portfolio in the art work section. Last work of art I will create for this game project.

I call it "purple", can you guess why? :)

I will probably post more updates soon for this game in the future.

Since the game is finished and released, I am thinking of possibly creating an android port of the game. What do you guys think? Would you be interested in an Android version of my toon game?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Update: March 14th, 2014

Hey everyone. I have made the game also available to play at wooglie, gamejolt and kongregate. Three major third party websites that are all about online, browser based games.

Play it at:

Kongregate.com

Wooglie.com

Gamejolt.com

Now the game is available for more people :)

Or you could play the game directly from me on my own dropbox link. See the previous update for link (Hide-n-Seek for webplayer update) :D

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE: March 10th, 2014

Hey guys, I just created a webplayer version of the game. So now you can play the game directly in your web browser no download required. The webplayer version plays at the same resolution for everyone so now all gui text and gui objects are placed where they should be if any of you have been experiencing gui problems such as text out of place or gui objects cutting off the screen.

Play the webplayer version here: Hide-n-Seek Winter (Web version)

Once again, this is 100% free to play, no in game ads or anything. The link is just a dropbox link so it won't take you to third party sites like kongregate or anything to play the game on.

The webplayer version still saves your game progress so you can close it and open it to continue where you left off. The game automatically saves after completing a level.

Enjoy!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

just posted this in my works in progress thread for this game but since its complete I guess it only makes sense to post it here in the showcase section.

You know what today is? (my birthday). The release of my newest game! :)
    Just as promised yesterday, today I am finally releasing my first game of 2014. This is probably my most polished game yet. I put in a lot of hard work on this and it took me a lot of time but finally its complete and I am happy to add another game to my list of completed game projects. This one is my best game yet so far. :)

I just finished writing a giant blog post on my dev blog where I say all these things about my game and kind of brag about it then I have the downloads section for the game up. So if you wanna check out the full blog post for my newest game check out the release page for it here on my blog:

http://snowconesolidwho.blogspot.com/2014/03/hide-n-seek-winter-released-birthday.html

So anyway, just getting to the point. My game "Hide-n-Seek Winter" is out now and is available 100% free to download and play. Currently it is for windows, Mac and Linux platforms. I might make and android version of it sometime down the road and I will probably create a webplayer version to put here as well later on.

Release Trailer: (NEW)
    Before you download you can check out the release trailer I made for this game to see what its about:

Story:
    After playing a game of hide and seek, little sister Frosty compliments her big brother Choco by telling him that he is the greatest hide and seek player ever. After saying this, the "Hiding Demon" suddenly appears and refuses to believe that choco is the greatest hide and seek player ever. The hiding demon then kidnaps Choco's little sister and disappears. The hiding demon tells Choco to meet him at the frozen pond in the "Infinite Snow World", a strange alternate dimension world where it snows forever. In order for Choco to rescue his little sister, he must defeat the hiding demon in a game of hide and seek.

Download Links: (Dropbox)

Hide-n-Seek Winter - Windows version

Hide-n-Seek Winter - Mac Version

Hide-n-Seek Winter - Linux Version

Well thats it. Like always I had a lot of fun creating this game. I believe that this is a major step up compared to my previous games. It was a really big project for me and definitely one of my most serious attempts at making a good game. If you play it I would love to hear your feedback and critics. Enjoy the game everyone! :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. talecrafter

talecrafter

Hello, I enjoyed your game. Thank you. And congratulations on getting older. :)

The following are my notes I took while playing the game. While they may seem overly critizising, they are not. I just point to things I noticed. Overall I liked your game and the artstyle.

- next time also a Webplayer please, helps with making notes and taking screenshots

- artstyle very good
    - have you tried giving the characters painted textures like the scenery and not cellshading?

- liked your puzzles

- cutscenes could be tighter (too much time between animations)
    - dialogue text not in textbox at 1920x1200, gets drawn over top border of textbox
    - combination of font and dialogue border does not work, font too small
    - camera too slow, frustrated me many times
    - no fan of the 3d text, information not easily to be seen, font style/shadow does not match with scenery
    - why no running and jumping? maybe not needed but feels more comfortable when there
    - hiding demon was a bit too disturbing / horror like, compared to presentation of other characters, scenery
    - game needs pause menu where I can resume and exit

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thank you very much :)

Not overly criticizing at all. Actually I always like hearing peoples feedback on my games, whether its good or bad. So I really appreciate you taking the time to play my game and letting me know what you thought.

I totally agree about webplayer version. Actually I will have one out real soon.

I know what your saying about some of the text. The gui text was my biggest and most annoying problem with this game. I could not figure out a way to create a universal screen resolution. Everything is where it should be at 1024 x 768 resolution. I tried everything to make the gui text adjust itself to fit any screen. I tried to calculate it by getting the screen height and width, I tried using a matrix, etc. Text and other gui objects always adjusted on different screens and went out of place. This is a common problem I always have with my games and I could never get it to work how I want it to.
    Although the gui objects look perfect in the unity editor and are placed where they should be at the screen resolution I am testing it on, it messes up in the actual build. The text and other gui objects either gets smaller or bigger or move completely out of place.

I don't know if this is a bug or something. I also noticed this problem in a lot of other unity games made by others. Its pretty frustrating. I think unity should really update their gui system or something. I mean you would think that gui should automatically adjust itself to any resolution but apparently it does not. Do you guys have any advice for creating universal gui? Or is there like a tool or something on the asset store someone could recommend that fixes this problem and automatically adjust your gui objects to any screen resolution? I would really appreciate that because Im tired of my gui stuff always messing up my games.

Anyway, the webplayer I will release soon will fix all gui problems and everything will be in place because everyone will play it at the same resolution.

I didn't put jumping in because I didn't think it was necessary. The game isn't a full platformer even though there is platforming levels. Most of the levels are flat lands with a lot of different things to explore and solve puzzles. I would say its mostly a puzzle game. But I guess a jumping feature would of been nice overall. As for running, I thought the character moved at a good enough speed, like a jogging speed.

There is a pause button that lets you pause/resume the game or exit the game. The Enter key is the pause menu and the Esc key gives you the option to exit the game.

anyway, thanks again for your feedback and trying out my game. I will update this again with a webplayer version soon. :)

4. talecrafter

talecrafter

Alright. :)

Pause and Escape should also work during cutscenes, intro.

GUI can be a difficult problem. Hopefully the new GUI system is not far away and will make it easier to create interfaces for different resolutions.
    There are some options on the asset store regarding GUI, and they look good. I tried some, but there were always one or two things that held me off buying the package.
    For now, I am just using GUI.Button, GUI.Label, GUI.Texture per code along a central GUI skin with different custom styles.

For your dialogue text I would do something simple like:

int width = 400;
    int height = 250;
    int margin = 50;
    Rect rect = new Rect(Screen.width / 2.0f - width / 2.0f, Screen.height - height - margin, width, height);

GUI.DrawTexture(rect, backgroundTexture);
    GUI.Label(rect, "text", guiCustomStyle);

You can set margins for the text in the custom style. Or just use centered alignment.
    The problem with this code is that it does not scale on different resolutions. You could calculate a scale value depending on resolution and multiplicate that with width, height and margin, but then you would also have to switch between different custom styles because of the font size.
    But if you set width, height, margin carefully, that should be good enough for most resolutions.

5. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Update:

Hey guys, I just created a webplayer version of the game. So now you can play the game directly in your web browser no download required. The webplayer version plays at the same resolution for everyone so now all gui text and gui objects are placed where they should be if any of you have been experiencing gui problems such as text out of place or gui objects cutting off the screen.

Play the webplayer version here: Hide-n-Seek Winter (Web version)

Once again, this is 100% free to play, no in game ads or anything. The link is just a dropbox link so it won't take you to third party sites like kongregate or anything to play the game on.

The webplayer version still saves your game progress so you can close it and open it to continue where you left off. The game automatically saves after completing a level.

Enjoy!

@Crafting legends, yeah hopefully we will eventually see a new upgraded unity gui system. Also thanks for the tip. I did try something similar to what you mentioned for my gui objects but still some problems exist. I'm looking into other solutions for gui such as tools like NGUI or Daikon Forge for my next game projects. The good thing is the webplayer version of the game I just uploaded plays at the same res for everyone so gui is placed where it should be now all the time if you play the webplayer version. :)

6. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Above and beyond your dropbox, consider uploading your Web Player distribution to Wooglie, GameJolt, Kongregate, and Newgrounds, that way you can earn a bit more and maybe direct players to your full versions. You may not get a huge amount of revenue from it, but more people will see your game!

7. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Distributions to third party sites will be my next update :)

I just wanted to have a direct links from me for the webplayer version and downloadable versions out before anything else. So if anyone ever wants to play the game or download it without running into ads or having to go to third party sites to play the game they could get it directly from me. And I feel I should have direct links to the game on my own dev blog up before anything else. I don't want people to go to my games release page and then click on the link to download or play the game and then they get redirected to a third party site. My personal release cycle is usually like this for all my games. I release direct versions from me first then I start working on getting it on other sites.

But now that I have released all the direct versions on my own site I am working on publishing to third party sites. I am waiting for it to appear on IndieDB soon since I recently released it there. I will prob also publish it to kongregate real soon. I used kong before, released about 5 games over a time period of 2 years. But I'm going to need to figure out a way to bring the size down of "Hide-n-Seek winter" first since Kong only allows 20mb max file size (My game is about 33 mb). I also have a game jolt account but I don't think I ever released anything there. I will prob definitely have it up on wooglie since that is a unity game site. I don't really know much about file sizes max limit on other sites though. Ill check them out real soon.

I agree a lot more people will see them on these third party sites than my own blog so it makes sense to put them out there.

But yeah in my next update or so the game will prob be up on various third party sites and that will finish my game release cycle. It will prob be the final update and then I could finally move onto my next game projects :)

8. silkroadgame

silkroadgame

Interesting game!

9. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Update: March 14th, 2014

Hey everyone. I have made the game also available to play at wooglie, gamejolt and kongregate. Three major third party websites that are all about online, browser based games.

Play it at:

Kongregate.com

Wooglie.com

Gamejolt.com

Now the game is available for more people :)

Or you could play the game directly from me on my own dropbox link. See the previous update for link (Hide-n-Seek for webplayer update) :D

10. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

UPDATE 3/23/1014

The game is now available on IndieDB. This is the fourth website It has been published to.

Check it out over here:
    Hide-n-Seek Winter On IndieDB

The game will also be available on Desura soon hopefully. I will post another update when it is.

Off topic, but also I created some new artwork for the game. :)

This is the boxart/boxshot I created for the games profile on Desura and IndieDB:

This is the profile banner I created for my game to display on its Desura and IndieDB page:

And here is the most recent artwork I created. It was more of a personal render I created just to display on my blog/ personal portfolio in the art work section. Last work of art I will create for this game project.

I call it "purple", can you guess why? :)

I will probably post more updates soon for this game in the future.

Since the game is finished and released, I am thinking of possibly creating an android port of the game. What do you guys think? Would you be interested in an Android version of my toon game?

11. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

UPDATE 4/11/2014

I just posted this whole update on my dev blog but I guess it wouldn't hurt to post it here as well.

"Hide-n-Seek Winter" Is Now Available on Desura!

Hello everyone. Just posting to say that my recent toon adventure game "Hide-n-Seek Winter" is now available to play on Desura! The game is part of the "Freedom Friday's" promotion Desura has going on. The game of course will always be a free to play game even after today.

If you use Desura and haven't played "Hide-n-Seek Winter" yet, you can check it out over here on the Desura Website:

Desura (Link to Game)

I hope you give it a try and enjoy the game!

Thanks Everyone!
    Off topic, this is a personal achievement for me and the "indie game dev" thing I have going on because this is my first game that gets accepted and published on Desura. So I am very happy to say that "Hide-n-Seek Winter" was a big step up compared to my other game titles and I look forward to continue making games and sharing them with everyone to play.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has been supporting me and following my games, artwork, dev blog and so on. I appreciate it. The people playing my games, giving me feedback and advice is what keeps me motivated to continue making games.

With all that said I think this might be the final update I post for "Hide-n-Seek Winter". It is time for me to move onto my next game projects. I can't wait to share what titles I have planned next!

Thanks once again and more projects soon!