Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity programming contest similar to ICPC?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by JoeStrout, Mar 5, 2014.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Years ago I used to participate in the ACM Queue-ICPC contest. This was a delightful challenge where they defined a (usually turn-based) game, and you participated by writing a player for that game. The player could be written in any language, and communicated with the host game via standard I/O.

Sadly, the ICPC appears to be no longer running. My older son (Kevin) is interested in doing something like that, and since we're all about Unity these days, I thought I'd see whether there is some similar contest here. Features we'd be looking for:

• Focus on coding (rather than creating a full game with artwork, sound, music, etc.)
    • Give a month or two to work on it (we don't want it taking over our lives for more than that!)
    • Decent test environment to pit your entry against "stock" entries

Note that we don't care too much about prizes; it's mostly for the fun, though prizes wouldn't be turned down. :)

I've done a bit of googling, and couldn't find anything like this... anybody know of one? Or have any interest in running one?

(I'd be willing to help, but probably couldn't run the whole thing myself... and if I did, it would defeat the purpose, since my boys and I couldn't participate!)

Thanks,
    - Joe