Search Unity

Artifacts with Sprite Packer and mesh type TIGHT

Discussion in '2D' started by Engidia_EduardBosch, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Engidia_EduardBosch

Engidia_EduardBosch

Hi,

I'm using Unity 4.3.4f1 and i'm having artifacts when creating automatic sprites if I user TIGHT mesh type. If I change to FULL RECT, everything works perfect. I think this is known bug, but I don't know if anyone has experienced this before. TIGHT type is perfect to reduce dramatically the size of sprites, so it will be great to use this type always.

Here you can see the artifacts that creates sometimes. It seams to appear when two objects overlap:
    $sprite_packer_artifacts.png

Thanks

2. NoseKills

NoseKills

Also could someone tell what is the ideal situation for using each of these option.
    I mean the TIGHT setting easily results in a 20 triangle mesh whereas the FULL RECT always has just 2 tris.

Does the the benefit of not having to render so many transparent pixels outweigh the added triangles so greatly that it's always a good thing? If so, does that apply to mobile platforms too ?

3. Engidia_EduardBosch

Engidia_EduardBosch

No one has experienced this artefacts with Sprite Packing and Mesh Type TIGHT?

Thanks,

4. Jaro

Jaro

Hi, I have the same issue on my Nexus 7, try setting texture filter mode to bilinear - 0

5. Engidia_EduardBosch

Engidia_EduardBosch

I still have this strange artifacts even with bilinear filter - 0 and Mesh Type to TIGHT.

I can only get rid of this artifacts by changing Mesh Type to FULL RECT.

6. klvo

klvo

I'm having exactly the same problem.
    In my case, it only happens on the builds on iOS devices, but not in the editor.

@EduardBosch
    If it wasn't for this thread it would have taken me longer to realise it's because of the Sprite Packer, so many thanks!
    You mentioned it is a known bug, where did you find out about it?

Could you help me by explaining how you changed the Mesh Type to FULL RECT?
    I read about customising the Sprite Packer in the user guide, but I don't really understand how to do it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. Engidia_EduardBosch

Engidia_EduardBosch

Hi @klvo. I was wrong. I wanted to say that it might be a known bug, but not that I've found a ticked about this bug.

To change the Mesh Type to FULL RECT you have to use ADVANCED import settings in your sprites and then select FULL RECT in the Mesh Type field
    $Mesh_Type_FULL_RECT.png

Hope they fix this soon. This feature if really good to decrease texture memory. If anyone finds a ticket in the issue tracker let me know.

Thanks,

ROBYER1 likes this.
  8. klvo

klvo

Thanks a lot, I never tried Advanced thinking sprites could only be set as Sprites.

I also checked for tickets on this, but there's nothing on the 2D listing.
    I'll submit the bug soon and if it gets turned into a ticket I'll post it here to see if it gets fixed soon.

Gracias de nuevo :)

9. Engidia_EduardBosch

Engidia_EduardBosch

Hope they look at this soon and post a ticket.

De nada! ;)

10. klvo

klvo

I sent a bug report about this to Unity, and they replied it has been fixed and will work fine on the next release.
    That's pretty good, thanks Unity QA!

Now, I hope the next version is released pretty soon.

11. klvo

klvo

This problem was fixed in the Unity 4.5 release!

TomasJ likes this.