Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender FBX import

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Jessy, May 16, 2009.

1. Jessy

Jessy

There are lots of threads around here about transferring data as FBX from Blender to Unity, but not the reverse. Does anybody have a solution for this process (such as an FBX to COLLADA transcoder) that is either cheap or free? I found this page, but I don't know if the code in the linked thread is a usable solution yet, and if it is, I don't know what to do with it.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/Import/FBX

And yes, this is completely relevant to this forum :roll:, considering the reason I want to do this is to study assets from a Unity example project.

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Unfortunately, FBX import is not something you'll easily do with Blender. That script you've linked to was started by Cambo, the same guy who wrote the FBX exporter (under commission by UT BTW) but there hasn't been any activity on that script since. Too bad, as there are lots of people who could use it.

The only way I know of at present is to use another 3D app that supports FBX (Cheetah, Modo, etc.) and either edit it in that app or export as .OBJ (but then you'll loose your animation).

3. Jessy

Jessy

I don't see why I couldn't export as COLLADA after importing as FBX, right? Is there anything that wouldn't transfer that way? (Then I could import the COLLADA file into Blender, and just use the .blend/.fbx in Unity, as per usual.)

My girlfriend has a modo license, but the thing I want to study right now is Ethan' use of vertex colors in the occlusion demo, and modo doesn't support vertex colors. Therefore, even though it imports .fbx and exports .collada, I don't think what I want is going to make it through the translation.

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

5. Jessy

Jessy

You know, for this, I probably can. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the idea. Not ideal, but hopefully it will be good enough. It'd be nice to be able to take apart some Unity animation setups that other people have had success with.

6. Jessy

Jessy

I didn't have luck with that converter and either DAE or OBJ export. If you have any tips for getting at least the OBJ process to work (there are several options available in the converter and Blender), I'd love to hear them.

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

The last time I had to convert from FBX to Blender was last year some time, so I don't remember exactly how I did it. If you can post the file I'll give it a try and see if I can remember how to do it, but if I recall correctly I had to try a couple different methods before I found something that worked.

8. Jessy

Jessy

9. half_voxel

half_voxel

Any luck yet?

10. deepcover

deepcover

Yeah. I wanted to use the desk in that demo in my own scene. The FBX file has the entire scene in it. I downloaded the demo of Cheetah and it loaded the file. For free I couldn't get the FBX exporter tool from autodesk to work in this case.

11. deepcover

deepcover

Wings 3D imported the occlusion culling level nicely.

12. Alvarus

Alvarus

13. roamcel

roamcel

Thanks for the useful link, Alvarus

14. LucasDaltro

LucasDaltro

Nice tip,thank you:D

15. atmuc

atmuc

can you get animation takes via this converter?

16. wccrawford

wccrawford

OBJ does not support animations. Converting to it will never preserve animations.

17. atmuc

atmuc

so can we say that it is not possible to import fbx with animation to blender?

18. podperson

podperson

Found this thread after googling for an FBX importer for Blender.

The problems with OBJ are many, including not just losing animations and rigs but also object relationships, pivots, and so forth. So, yeah, it would be great to see some progress on this front.

19. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

@Jessy, You could use Unwrap3D(windows only).

We do use Ultimate Unwrap 3D on windows to modify the uv and some else, it import and exports fbx nicely.

What you could do, is to export from Blender in any format you might like, then ultimate the uvmapping with Unwrap (which is way more comfortable on it) and then export to fbx from it for the engine.

They way back couldn't be easier.
    You get the fbx from the engine and open it with Unwrap, save dae (with the Collada plugin) or whatever else format blender might like and you are done. I don't know how good it will support bones vertex animation though.

Unwrap3D costs less than 60$ if I remember good and is packed with features and plugins for lot of engines/3d formats out there(collada, sketchup, unreal, ASE, rhino, truespace).

Extras

Unwrap 3D import/export plugins for 3dsmax 4/5/6/7/8/9/2009/2010/2011/2012:
    se and pro (1.4 MB)
    Unwrap 3D import/export plugins for Maya 8.x and 2008/2009/2010/2011/2012:
    se and pro (1.0 MB)
    Unwrap 3D import/export plugins for Cinema 4D 10/10.5/11/11.5/12/13:
    se and pro (3.1 MB)
    Unwrap 3D import plugins for Adobe Photoshop CS3/CS4/CS5 Extended:
    se and pro (355 KB)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  20. thatscientificgeek

thatscientificgeek

autodesk products allow you to export as collada.

21. dentedpixel

dentedpixel

This might be a bit of overkill, but I upload it to Mixamo.com and then download the t-pose in the Blender Collada format. At least this is good when you have a skeleton, and mapping you would like to preserve...

22. noldy

noldy

hello all,
    how to import file .FXB into blender..?

23. gryff

gryff

There is no official fbx importer for Blender as far as I know. I do believe there maybe an unofficial importer - try a google search.

cheers, gryff :)

24. goat

goat

Yes, there is one out of Japan if you search for it. It works but always keep your original Blend file and make backups.

It's called 'Another Autodesk FBX Importer'.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  25. DMTSource

DMTSource

26. gryff

gryff