Search Unity

Scaffolding - Create menus and game flows easily

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jon_reid, Mar 1, 2014.

1. jon_reid

jon_reid

Hi guys, I recently released Scaffolding, a Unity framework that lets you quickly and easily create your menu system or game flow all within the editor.

If you've ever been frustrated by how many steps were needed to create a menu screen, then add in a button that links it to another screen, then this is the tool for you. Or if you want to create a quick click through prototype to test a flow idea, then Scaffolding is perfect.

Scaffolding website
    Web player Demo

Buy Scaffolding now from the Asset store, now only $15!:
    Asset store link

Scaffolding manages all of your different screens and overlays for you, allowing you to get on with how the flow works rather than worrying about how to connect them up.

Features:
    Easy to use editor interface
    Multi-touch input system for all Scaffolding inputs
    Prepared for iOS and Android
    Full source code access and API for extending Scaffolding
    Low memory usage.

A quick start guide to Scaffolding:

Scaffolding works on mobile and desktop, with a multitouch input system built into it, you don't need to worry about managing your inputs either. There are also multi touch gesture components included with Scaffolding. Just drag and drop them on a sprite or GameObject, and you can have it responding to pinch, rotate or drag inputs instantly.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. odolphie

odolphie

This looks great, would really simplify making multiple GUI screens. A question though, in the videos you're using your own buttons to move between screens I assume its trivial to use buttons from anything else (2d Toolkit, NGUI, Unity GUI etc.)?

Also you say its making and managing prefabs, can these be edited separately as well or do I need to open the screen view and edit it and have it save it?

3. jon_reid

jon_reid

Hey,

In the video I'm using my own buttons yes, but the way they are structured allows you to just drop in art assets from any third party libraries. I use 2d toolkit for all my sprites, and you can just drop in sprites no problem :)

You can edit the prefabs separately yes, as they are just prefabs with a certain script attached. It depends how you want to edit them really, the view library is just there to make finding those prefabs a bit easier :)

4. g0tNoodles

g0tNoodles

Looks really good. Menus are always something I struggle with and this seems like a good solution for me. Shame I cannot afford it right now! Wish I didn't waste my money on another GUI kit that doesn't even work and has no support...

5. jon_reid

jon_reid

Good news! I've reduced the price of Scaffolding to only $15, more affordable than ever!

6. SteveB

SteveB

Just bought! Digging in, but right off the bat I must ask...

...why did you populate the root of /Assets with extra data folders rather than keeping them nicely organized inside the /Scaffolding folder? It's minor but I already have an issue with a rather lengthy list of folders in /Assets, and having generic folders like /Resources, /Demo, /Scripts and /Animations is definitely needless clutter when I already have similar folders for my own data for my game. I created a /Scaffolding Demo folder (since you already have another /Resource folder inside /Scaffolding) and just shoved those four folders inside...phew nice and clean again. :D

Ran the demo and you weren't kidding...it is simple! How goes the plan for more tutorials and examples (advanced?)

Thanks Jon!

-Steven

7. jon_reid

jon_reid

Hi Steven, moving folders manually isnt recommended, since it could cause missing linkages, you can change the path that everything is stored at by going to Tools > Scaffolding > preferences. So if you dont like where I put the folders, you can point Scaffolding to where you'd like them to be :)

Also, as mentioned in the documentation, you only really need the Scaffolding folder from the package, all the rest is to support the demo, but its a good point about having multiple folders in the root, I'll keep that in mind for the next update :)

I'm working on more tutorials, mostly script based ones that demonstrate how to make use of AbstractInput to build your own gestures and how to make the most of the auto generated view classes. I'm also looking at included a grouped menu system so that you can quickly make console game style menus that you link together in the scene view.