Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprite-Anim - Retargetable Sprite Animations

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Loius, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Loius

Loius

Demo / Workflow video:

I created Sprite-Anim because I was dissatisfied with the way Mecanim and Sprites interact. SpriteAnim does not replace Mecanim for sprites, but I consider it a vast improvement in certain workflows.

Sprite-Anim is a system for allowing retargetability in animated sprites. With Mecanim, you can create your animations once and apply them to any number of Avatars, but sprite animations have to be done by hand for every sprite sheet. Sprite-Anim allows you to create an actual SpriteSheet object which will store the animations - you can then re-use those animations by simply replacing the texture, no need to rework the animations.

Sprite-Anim also includes simple-to-use AnimatedSprites that work in tandem with SpriteSheets to quickly create sprite-based animations - no more dragging every single sprite into the Mecanim editor.

This is usable out-of-the-box, but it contains all source code in case there are any custom changes you need to make.

Documentation
    Asset Store

2. Loius

Loius

Update 1.1:

Added "Advanced"-style animations - these things are crazy powerful.

$advanced.png
    The ‘Advanced’ animation type provides finer control over your animation. It can run sprites in any order, instead of just sequentially, and it can display different sprites for different amounts of time.

A ‘Frame’ in an advanced animation has two settings:
    The ‘Sprite’ indicates which sprite from the sheet will be displayed. The ‘Frames’ setting indicates how long the sprite will be displayed – this is still affected by the global frame rate setting in AnimatedSprite.globalFramerate, so a value of 1 here is identical to the time of a single sprite from a Simple animation.

3. Loius

Loius

The Edit button is deleting my post at the moment, so I'll just share this here until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong:

Added a PDF-format of the help document in case you can't get docx for whatever reason (I am not at all savvy in the ways of file formats, forgive my ignorance!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/db91dmw4sr9ttnk/Animated Sprites Help.pdf

4. kathode

kathode

Hi,

Just wanted to ask about this because it might solve some of my issues. Is this still supported? Also, will it work with existing animations or does it require that I recreate them?

Thanks!