Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Support FAQ

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by OllyNicholson, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OllyNicholson

OllyNicholson

Unity Technologies

Unity Support FAQ

Here is a list of FAQs for this section of the forums. If you want to suggest new topics or edits to existing ones then please contact an Admin and let us know your thoughts.

Admins Mods.

@SaraCecilia
    Graham Dunnett
    OllyNicholson
    Eric5h5
    Thomas Pasieka
    Tenebrous
    Superpig
    Hippocoder

What kind of support is available with Unity?

Forums - Threads on specific and general topics - answered by the community, Unity support engineers and developers

Answers - Questions and answers on specific Unity topics - posted by the community, Unity support engineers and developers

Documentation - Manual and Scripting - on-line resources for user guide, component reference and scripting classes and code examples

Learn - Unity learning resources on-line including whole projects, tutorials and Live training

Premium Support - Timed response from support engineers for technical qeuries, available in a range of packages
    Support - for licencing, asset store and general inquiries only

Documentation

Q) How do I search the documentation?
    A) Unity documentation (and community sites) are very well search engine optimised so often if you simply search for 'Unity' + your search term you will get good results from your search engine. You can also narrow down specifically to our site with site:unity3d.com + your search term. There is also a search box for the scripting classes on that page

Q) Is there a printable version of the documentation?

A) Look in the application's Documentation folder for a file named printable.html, or find it online here.

Q) Is the documentation provided in anything other than html format?

A) No, the help provided today is in HTML format only.

Unity Editor

Q) How do I Install Unity?
    A) Download the latest installer from http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

Q) What if I want to evaluate the Unity Pro features?

A) When you install Unity it includes a trial of Pro for 30 days.

Q) When I purchase Unity, which updates are free?
    A) All minor version updates of Unity are free. E.g. if you purchase Unity 4.0 you will get all 4.x.x versions when released

Q) I see a new Unity version has been released. How do I get it?

A) You can always download the latest version of Unity from http://unity3d.com/unity/download.

Q) What should I do before I upgrade to a newer version of Unity?
    A) Backup your projects, Unity will not touch them when installing a newer version, but once you open your project in a newer Unity you may be asked to update the project, so always backup. Always. Did I say Backup?

Q) I've purchased/upgraded Unity! How do I activate it?

A) From the menu bar, use Help > Manage Licence

Q) Can I run two different versions of Unity concurrently?
    A) Yes, managing projects with different versions of Unity installed is vulnerable to human error, so we do not recommend this generally, but as long as you back up your projects and follow some guidelines you can.

Q) How does Manual Activation work?

A) Follow the link below and follow the steps as advised.
    http://unity3d.com/unity/activation

Q) How many computers can I use with my license?

A) Standard Unity licenses allow a single person to use Unity on two machines that they have exclusive use of. Educational Unity licenses allow a single person to use Unity on only one machines that they have exclusive use of. For example desktop/notebook, home/work computers, or a mac/pc configuration or virtual machine.

Q) Can I use my license on Mac? Windows? Both?

A) Unity licenses are not tied to a particular platform, given that each license can be activated on two machines it's up to you which platform(s) to use. You can install both on Mac OSX, both on Windows or even install one on each platform.

Q) I've purchased a new computer / hard drive and I'm about to install new OS/Unity, how to I transfer my licence?
    A) 1) Open Unity 4.x 2) Click "Help", 3) Click "Manage Licence..." 4) Click "Return Licence" - This must be done prior to reformatting or a hardware change with connection to the license server.

Q) I am about to upgrade Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1, do I need to return my licence before doing this?
    A) Yes

Q) I've purchased a new computer, and already re-installed Unity but when I try to enter my serial number I get the message "your serial number is invalid". What am I doing wrong?

A) This probably means you have reached the activation limit for your license. Please write us a mail at support@unity3d.com and we will help you activate your Unity license on your new computer.

Q) I get a "Writing file error" or "Moving file error" frequently in Windows and have to click "Try Again". Why?

A) Virus scanners and indexing software can delay access to files until they are processed, so you may want to exclude the project directory from being scanned or indexed.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=134488

Q) How do I uninstall Unity?

A) See this thread for the files you should remove.

Webplayers

Q) What is the Unity Webplayer?
    A) The webplayer is a downloadable plugin for your web browser that enables you to play all games built with Unity.

Q) How do I install the Webplayer?

A) Download it from https://unity3d.com/webplayer

Q) How do I update the Webplayer once it's been installed?

A) The plugin automatically updates to the version required by the player you are viewing.

Reporting Problems and Bugs

Q) I have a problem in Unity. What do I do?
    A) The best way to communicate any Unity issue to Unity Technologies is to report a bug using the built-in Bug Reporter. You can find it in Help > Report a bug from the menu bar in Unity.

Q) This Bug Reporter is a little scary. What am I supposed to write?

A) Put simply, we need to know what the problem is and how to reproduce it. We have to be able to reproduce your issue before we can fix it. So we need you to tell us exactly how to make it happen with the data to replicate it

Q) How can I report a bug to make sure it is dealt with most efficiently?
    A) Make it Clear, Concise and Reproducible, you will also find it dealt with faster if you submit a minimal reproducible - more info here: How can I report a bug most effectively?

Q) Okay I've submitted a bug! Now what?

A) We will investigate the issue as best we can and email you if we need any more information or have questions for you. If you didn't attach your project and we can't reproduce the issue, we will ask you for your project folder.

Q) How fast can you confirm my bug?

A) This depends on a number of factors, 1: quality of information and example to reproduce - see How can I report a bug most effectively? 2: number of bugs in our system, 3: resources available at the given time and 4: further information provided to help reproduce - Premium Support can help very effectively with this.

Q) I have some new information about a bug I already logged. How do I share this information with the team?

A) After initially reporting the bug, you will receive a case number in an auto-generated email. At any time you can reply to this email and your reply will automatically be added to the case number in our bug tracker. This is optimal because any tester or developer who views your bug will see your updated information.

Q) When can I expect my bug to be fixed?

A) Generally at the earliest, your bug will be fixed in the next official Unity release, however we have now implemented a patch release train from the Sustained Engineering team:

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/15/sustained-engineering-patch-builds/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-patch-releases.246198/

So this can possibly happen even sooner in the form of a patch. Obviously not every fix makes it into the next patch or direct release, we do our best to fix issues in the order of urgency.

Q) I'm having trouble writing a game script. Can Unity Technologies help me out?

A) For working through problems with your game scripts, please leverage the help of the Unity user community here on the forum or irc chat room. Unity Support does not provide scripting assistance for your games with the exception of consultancy services

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
  2. OllyNicholson

OllyNicholson

Unity Technologies

This reply will help this useful post about Unity Support appear at the top for our users to find easily.

Voltron1161 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.