Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Clive 'N' Wrench - 3D Action Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ClassicGameJunkie, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Join Clive and Wrench in their 3D platforming adventure to thwart the evil Dr Daucus, save the world from an army of mutants and eat more than their fair share of carrot cake!

Featuring time travelling, plenty of collectables, enemies, mini-games and tight controlling platforming.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Xitech_

Xitech_

Really love the art, impressed! Will there be a playeble demo / alpha version soon?

3. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

It wasn't 10 seconds into the video before I immediately fell in-love with this.

This reminds me so much of Banjo-Kazooie I just want to play it now.

WHEN.

WHEN.

WHEN.

4. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

It means a lot to hear such a positive response, so thank you :D

Banjo-Kazooie is exactly the feel I'm going for, mix that with Wind Waker's graphic style and you've got what I'm trying to achieve.

As for a release, I don't know when I'm afraid, I'd rather say that than try to enforce a deadline at this point, however once I have it properly worked out I should be able to give a fairly good estimate!

5. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Update time, lots of improvements including particle effects, enemies, an actual level and some extra polish!

6. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Quick update, a screenshot of the level currently in production, Grizzly Manor.

7. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Time for a quick update, showing progress on a new level, Grizzly Manor, hopefully demonstrating how diverse the environments are, Also included are many other changes such as a fully featured HUD, full camera control, particle effects, new abilities and more!

8. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

This looks freaking awesome, and the amount you've polished it since the first post is impressive. Looking forwards to it's release or a playable demo.

9. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Hey thanks man, nice to hear that!

Update time! This time showing one of the many Mini-Levels that will appear in the game, this one has Clive helping out the R.A.F (Rabbit Air Force) to take down some of the evil LuftWoofer dogs in the 1940's!

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great, 3D platformers are so missing after PSX/N64 golden age.
    Seems some mini games like Crash Bandicoot , very welcome diversity of gameplay :)
    I hope this will be as fun as this one :

You could make the plane more cartoon with some vibrant colors and some fun decals instead of realistic style.

What programs do yo use to model levels and to texture ?

Keep the good work.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  11. drmusic45

drmusic45

Wow, I feel like it's been awhile since I've seen a 3D platformer that I've wanted to play, but this is definitely one of them! Can't wait to see the next update; great work! :)

12. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

You're right zenGarden, this level was prtty heavily inspired by that mini game in Crash, but then the whole game is a loveletter to the genre, there are plenty of references and nods throughout!

I appreciate the kind words!

Time for another update, this time introducing Clive's new sidekick, Wrench the monkey!

13. TheGraficalOne

TheGraficalOne

@zenGarden: Crash Bandicoot Warped was actually my first video game!

@ClassicGameJunkie : Your game looks awesome! It's funny how those sort of games are what got me interested in video games in the first place, yet I've never found the time to work one of my own.

Can't wait to see it finished! BTW, what platform are you planning on releasing it on.

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

@ClassicGameJunkie :
    Great characters, that keeps the cartoon style of old platformers.
    What program do you use to make and animate characters ?

15. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Thanks, glad to hear you like them!

For both modelling and animation I use 3DS max.

16. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

17. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

18. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

With 21 days to go on our Kickstarter we've just gone over 1% of our goal. It's an encouraging start, but we have long way to go. So before I get in to showcasing the new level, I would ask for anyone who is interested, (even if you can't back us), to please share the project with as many people as possible. With your help we can make it!

$CliveScreenFuture1.png

Now, on to the new stuff! We've had a few people asking to see some of the variety we plan to include in the games environments. So far we've only really shown 2 levels; Cottontail Island and Grizzly Manor. So now feels like a good time to introduce Madhatten. Set in the year 3014 it's a city mostly above ground, with hover cars, and an almost alien skyline.

$CliveScreenFuture2.png

The level is far from finished at the moment, but now we have the look and feel of the environment decided, you can get an idea of what to expect. We anticipate plenty of vertical scope to this level, and some interesting mechanics involving hover vehicles!Last, but not least; we are very much pursuing console releases. At the moment Nintendo Wii U seems like a really good fit for us. We can't say much at the moment, but rest assured as as soon as we can confirm any new platform you will be informed!

19. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

As our most requested release platform, we are very pleased to announce we are now officially developing for the Wii U!

It was mid afternoon, I had just sat down with a couple of friends, oddly enough to play Mario Party, when I got the call. After a surreal conversation with someone at Nintendo, it was made official.

Due to the NDA I've signed, I can't say too much about it, but the good news is it all looks to fall in line with what we were expecting as far as development hardware and associated costs. Which means as long as we hit our Kickstarter goal; Wii U will be a release platform next to PC and Linux.

However, if we don't hit the target as stated before, the scope of the game will be much smaller, and Wii U will be impossible. So, if the lack of a console release was the element holding back your pledge, now is the perfect time!

20. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

There's plenty to talk about in this update, however before we get into it, I need to ask for some help. We are now half way through the campaign, and it hasn't picked up as much steam as we need. Still, we have 14 days left so I urge you please, if you can, spread the word as much as possible be in via social media, press contacts whoever!

Now on to the good stuff!
    First up is a video showcasing some of the changes and updates made to the gameplay mechanics and the animation. The result being that Clive feels more grounded, and controls more like the games that inspired his own!We now have dynamic leaning in running, jumping and falling animations, This sounds like a small change, and it is subtle, but makes the whole game look and more importantly feel smoother. We also have refinements in collision detection and physics, which also add to the aforementioned feel.

We now have dynamic leaning in running, jumping and falling animations, This sounds like a small change, and it is subtle, but makes the whole game look and more importantly feel smoother. We also have refinements in collision detection and physics, which also add to the aforementioned feel.

The second thing to talk about today is Clive's character design. On several occasions now we've heard people mention they feel Clive is lacking something to his overall look. So in an effort to combat that we've made the decision that he will now be dressed appropriately for the time era that he is in. On his home Cottontail island he will appear as we've shown in the past however. Below are a few pieces of concept art for different time periods.
    The second thing to talk about today is Clive's character design. On several occasions now we've heard people mention they feel Clive is lacking something to his overall look. So in an effort to combat that we've made the decision that he will now be dressed appropriately for the time era that he is in. On his home Cottontail island he will appear as we've shown in the past however. Below are a few pieces of concept art for different time periods.

$ClothesConcept.png

All that's left is to thank you all, also despite the fear of sounding like a broken record, please spread the word!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  21. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

BIG UPDATE time! As promised, bunch of new stuff including swimming, climbing and a new level!

[video=youtube]

22. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Updates, a bunch of new features this time, plus a western themed level.

23. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Updated the first post, and here's the latest Devlog/Update video!

24. zenGarden

zenGarden

Amazing game here. About firing or throwing a tool is too fast, and not noticeable, i would make it bigger and visible with some particle effects around it also.
    What tool did you use to make your level ? And how did you UV and texture it ?

25. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

I'm glad you're liking it! You may be right about the throwing it does seem faster after watching it on video as opposed to actually playing it. But I will certainly bear it in mind, so thankyou!

Everything 3D in the game is modelled and textured in 3DS Max using it's native UV map and UV Unwrap modifiers for applying textures. I hand paint each and every texture from scratch in GIMP, using various pixel art and techniques.

The final touch to the levels once they are imported into Unity is done using the awesome plugin VPaint. This allows me to go over different parts of the level adding subtle light and dark areas, and faking dynamic coloured lights (such as the cave crystals). This is a cheap way of doing it, which means the lighting barely effects performance.

zenGarden likes this.
  26. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

The latest level is "A Grave Mistake". As you can probably tell, it's set in a graveyard full of not so friendly characters. Luckily Count Clive is there to tidy the place up!

And here's some concept art and a screenshot of the first enemy, Skullflower! He hides himself underground awaiting his victim to walk past. Get too close and he'll leap out of the ground and give chase!

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

video later :) ?
    You're making an awesome job.

ClassicGameJunkie likes this.
  28. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Hopefully very soon, I have some audio bugs and stuff to sort out first though. And thanks, I'm glad you're liking it!

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a great example of someone leaning on the asset store so he has time to develop the actual game instead. While I might spot several assets in use, your gamers never will, and this is the important thing. I'm quite impressed how far you have come. It looks like a fun little romp doesn't it?

30. zenGarden

zenGarden

Looking at your video, your projectiles are too powerfull for ennemies; two strikes and they never have a chance to come near you and attack you, making ennemies useless.
    So perhaps you'll have to find some way to balance that :
    - ennemies able to block thrown stuff or invulnerable to thrown projectiles
    - ennemies only vulnerable on some weak point part
    - limited ammo found on levels
    - less damaging projectiles having ennemies coming near you
    - range weapons smaller needing you to come more closer to ennemies

Do you keep a close hand to hand attack or weapon like hammer or any other ?

Hey hippocoder, do you think players will be aware of the 3D engine behind or some asset store exists :) ?
    (I mean people playing games but never making ones or not aware of what is coding).

31. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

That's kind of you to say. As someone working alone 90% of the time, the Asset Store has been invaluable. While the bulk of the game is scratch made, things like the Physics Platformer Kit and the JMO particle effects have allowed me to focus on what I'm good at.

@zenGarden - I'm definitely looking into enemy variety, you're list of suggestions may be quite useful in the coming weeks, so thankyou! As for weapons, at the moment your three main attacks are rolling, throwing wrenches and butt bashing; I don't plan on expanding this moveset as the levels are being built around them as they are.

32. zenGarden

zenGarden

Looking at prehistoric video, when the hero gets a special gem he salutes the camera as we was watching some theather, would some joy movements be more appropriated instead caus it feels strange movement ?

33. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Maybe, but I kinda like the fourth wall break, anyone else care to weigh in on it?

Oh and here's that video you asked for!

zenGarden likes this.
  34. zenGarden

zenGarden

I have some idea for your platformer, actually this level seems like others, very similar, it's very good , but similar as
    actually you just run throught level basting ennemies and collecting gems.
    - your level lacks more traps or some more danger zones (laval, falling rocks etc ...) , perhaps i'm wrong.
    - diversified actions :
    Why not putting some sort of missions or special passages :
    - need to carry some stuff all around and put it on some container avoiding ennemies or jumping to avoid danger traps and zones
    - race against some character in the level
    - some puzzles , switches or keys to find to open a door to be able to progress on the level
    - riding passages: you ride a rhino like donkey kong in some level like in crash bandicoot dangerous corridors :)
    - Endurance passages : in a big boat floating on river you would have to beat ennemies jumping form water aboard during the travel
    But perhaps im' wrong and it would result not good mixing too much gameplay ideas.

Your work is still amazing from level design to cartoon characters, keep the great work :)
    The animations are great, what tool do you use ? 3DSMAX biped ?

35. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Hey thanks for the feedback. A fair Few of these suggestions are on my to-do list. Unfortunately I'm a pretty poor coder, so that stuff is quite difficult for me. However both races, timed collectable runs and door switches are in the works!

Still I'll add your suggestions to my "brainstorm" document!

And thanks for the kind words too!

The animations are done in 3DS Max using bipeds as you say. They are also mixed in-game with a dynamic bone script for things like Clive's ears, cape and Wrench's tail. Typically I video myself acting out something I want in the game and use that as a visual guide to get weight and whatnot to look right. Then I accentuate the poses to more "extreme" positions so they appear more cartoony.

zenGarden likes this.
  36. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"Maybe, but I kinda like the fourth wall break, anyone else care to weigh in on it?"

Hasn't that actually been the case for, I don't know... every single action adventure platformer since Sonic the Hedgehog? There's nothing wrong with it. The initial character designs could use some work, seeing as how he only looks interesting in the costumes.

37. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

True, true. As for the character designs, I kinda like that they're somewhat of a blank slate, any more and it'd be difficult to dress them without it looking disjointed.

Just a quick preview of the church's interior! The window uses a combination of an unlit texture for the glass, some geometry and a gradient for the main light beam, a projector for the impression on the floor and some nice dust particles.

38. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

I've been working on finalising Clive & Wrench's moveset, and I think I'm finally happy with it. He now has a new attack the "Chimp Whip", where Clive swings Wrench around his head like a whip wiping out anyone in his way. He also has some variations to his attacks to, for instance when galloping the attack button will make him roll instead of Chimp Whip, and whilst gliding Wrench will return the favour and swing Clive into any obstacle in their way!

I've also been fixing a lot of animation issues, and adding tweens (blend animations to smoothly transition from one to the other), for example on a short jump clive will bend his knees slightly upon landing, but if he's fallen a long way will have a much lower crouch to absorb the impact.

All of this new stuff can be seen in this video:

39. zenGarden

zenGarden

You should make trails and other effects to better differentiate what attack is played and make attack movement more noticeable.
    The rolling attack would need some power effect perhaps, and it looks very fast, perhaps too fast attack and your character recovers too fast at the end of movement also; this could make the game too easy beating ennemies with that fast attack you could chain.
    For the swim attack, also some buble tornado trail effect will make it better.
    About spanner throw, i don't knwo what is going on ? a projectile ? too fast i don't understand the attack.
    Keep the great work :)

40. TheMaterialBlade

TheMaterialBlade

This really looks amazing. I look forward to being able to try a demo. Great work, keep it up!

41. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Thanks for the ideas zenGarden, and glad you're liking it TheMaterialBlade!

I've been working on a new level, making sure to use less materials to improve performance. One of the ways I've found best is to use a single rock texture, several modular wall pieces and build the level up like a Lego model. Couple that with some vertex painting and the results can be pretty cool!

I'm toying with the level name at the moment, it's an island home to pirates with dense forest areas and a beached pirate ship, any ideas would be great!

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

Looks so good, i like that bridge and the statue head.
    Keep the awesome work, we want to buy your game :)

43. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

Glad you're liking it, and it's nice to hear you'll get it when it's done!

Clive's new outfit is now done, (still toying with Wrench's). I've also added extra details such as grass, animated butterflies, chests that can be hit open for rewards and more!

44. zenGarden

zenGarden

45. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

New video time, a voiced-over devlog (development log) commenting and showcasing a bunch of stuff I've been working on the past couple of weeks!

46. zenGarden

zenGarden

-I noticed the chests could have some particles or spark effects when opened, the effect is too discrete.
    -The monkey throwing a fireball, the animaton of the monkey is very fast, it's hard to see anything, specially when the -charcacter is een from behind, why not have a glowing color just before the fireball is launched, this will give better feedback and effect.
    Great level , keep up the good work :)

47. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

How have I missed this? It's great!

48. ClassicGameJunkie

ClassicGameJunkie

That's a good point zenGarden, I'll have a play with particles. I'll also have a think about the Wrench throw.

Clive's now up on Steam Greenlight so please vote away!

For those who don't know, this is a process that allows the large community of Steam users vote on which games they want available on the service it's be a great help if you could add your vote and get Clive some virtual shelf space!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=357164010

49. Peter Ples

Peter Ples

Nice - voted

50. zenGarden

zenGarden

That's the same , you can add a good effect and make it recognizable at first look.
    You can dig Ratchet & Clanck for ideas or some other games.

Finish your game , and could it be Steam or Desura or consoles i'll buy it ;)