Search Unity

No "Source Take" option available on my model import options anymore

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sprakle, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Sprakle

Sprakle

I've been working with Unity and Blender for nearly a year now, and have always been able to split animations using Blender's ActionEditor, then select an animation in Unity's import options.

Example of a working model(Note the "Source Take" option on the bottom):
    $e70a44e3ac38e71567c8ed9c17b48326.png

I'm fairly certain I'm using the exact same workflow as I always have, but now I can't select Source Takes for any new models I make.

What it looks like in Blender:
    $2d2a8483071faecc4234852f51b3e65e.png

The result in Unity (Note the lack of "Source Take" option on the bottom):
    $87fe5a7db8c4b76276e2c354d1019f62.png

I read on the Wiki that the source take option would not show if there was only one take, but you can see the in the Blender screenshot that there are three (including the default take). What's going on?

Here is a Blender file with multiple animations that doesn't seem to import properly:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/7c4ib2mxc3xydx4/Example.blend

2. Sprakle

Sprakle

I think I might be able to export each animation from blender individually, but this is very tedious if I have a lot of animations per character, and needs to be done ever time I want to change an animation.

3. Sprakle

Sprakle

Nope, that doesn't work, sharing animations across multiple files causes weird movement, even if the files are exactly the same.

Has anyone had these problems before? I'm using the latest version of Unity and Blender 2.7 (which has always worked for me before)

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

click the little + button underneath Default Take

5. Sprakle

Sprakle

That's not the problem:
    $d93db98c3188c720f3c71eb7c5d3970b.png

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Wow ... just tried it myself. Doesnt work anymore. You might want to create a bug report.

7. Sprakle

Sprakle

It's weird though, all my old models (made with the same version of blender) still work fine. I'll send a bug report anyway.

8. Sprakle

Sprakle

This problem came back again when I needed to use a bunch more of our old models. Some of them import properly, with each animation viewable as a separate "Source Take", while others don't.

I've spent the last few hours trying to figure out the difference between the working models and the others, but came up with nothing. I tried many different versions of blender, manually exporting FBX files, etc.

These animations are very important, does anyone have more information on this problem?

I submitted the bug report, but nothing has come of that yet.

9. Sprakle

Sprakle

If anyone else has this problem, I figured it out. For some reason Unity can't handle animations with only a single bone. I just added a second bone with no weights, created a few keyframes for it, and everything worked fine.

Still an annoying bug though, there are many cases where single-bone animations are useful.

10. Steviebops

Steviebops

I'm also getting this error, but I have multiple bones already, so that fix won't work.

I'll submit a report too, as in this state, my project cant continue.

11. Steviebops

Steviebops

I'm using a Rigify rig in Blender, which has worked fine until recently.
    Can anyone else confirm this bug?

12. Steviebops

Steviebops

It seems that the export option 'Only Deform Bones' in Blender was causing the problem. Disabling that seems to have sorted it out.
    The exported model will be larger with all the bones, but the 'Rigify to Unity' plugin sorts that out nicely.

13. gooncorp

gooncorp

this may be a bug im gonna get to the bottom of this. i'm having a hard time importing animations in several formats it looks like the functionality has changed in a recent update.

14. Wolfgame

Wolfgame

This just came up in our …

15. zipsted

zipsted

The same problem here.
    Export from Blender with multiple animation and get just one animation in Unity.
    Some of the models are broken, others are fine. The same export settings in Blender for both.

Ignacii likes this.
  16. unity_02_fKyYvgyikHw

unity_02_fKyYvgyikHw

This might be a dead thread but if anyone has a solution, it would be greatly appreciated. It's still either broken or just unintuitive on blender 2.8x and Unity 2019.3.11f1

Ignacii likes this.
  17. Ignacii

Ignacii

"Push Down" button in Blender's Action Editor solved my problem of exporting only one animation though I had more.

Steviebops likes this.
  18. FellowPlayer123

FellowPlayer123

Now there is 0 animations...

19. CameronOtten

CameronOtten

hey if anyone has problems still, in blender hit stash on your actions then in the nla editor make sure the checkmark box next to the action (hovering over it says 'does action contribute to result) is checked or it doesnt export that action. very weird but its the way blender exports i guess

20. Jodagon

Jodagon

This is still a persisting problem after attempting every single thing that has been posted so far

21. Master_Davicous

Master_Davicous

Randomly started happening to me today when trying to export new characters for my game. My main character model I created a few months ago imported perfectly fine, and my new characters in Blender have been re-using the same armature from my main character. I appended it from my main characters file and rescaled the bones to fit my new characters. When I export them as FBX the exact same way, and with the exact same animations, Unity for some reason doesn't import any of the animations for some reason. This has been getting so frustrating, and I've tried so many different things. I even asked ChatGPT but it just gave me garbage answers that don't work. Someone from Unity please tell us why Unity suddenly decides to not import our FBX's animations anymore!!

22. Master_Davicous

Master_Davicous

Okay after some more searching I FINALLY figured out the issue. Assuming you are using Blender, you will need to do the thing shown in this YouTube video in order for Unity to recognize your animations. Apparently Unity identifies them by the NLA strip instead of the Actions themselves!