Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventures in Texturing

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by christinanorwood, Feb 16, 2014.

1. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Just started a new series of video tutorials on texturing. Intention is to go from a basic discussion of materials, shaders and textures through to developing some diffuse, bump and spec maps for an object with a few different materials - I'm thinking of a seaman's chest or something like that. Modelling in Blender with basic material assignment and UV unwrapping, texture painting in GIMP, and of course final deployment in Unity. First video is now up.

Added some more. The list is:

1. Materials, shaders and textures
    2. Baking procedural textures in Blender
    3. Paint textures in GIMP
    4. Photo texturing
    5. Specular shaders
    6. Bump and normal maps
    7. Bake a normal map
    8. CubeMap Reflections

These videos are aimed at beginners, so they are not very sophisticated. I'll probably be doing some more complex LookDev further down the track.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. wicked208

wicked208

great, thanks

3. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Uploaded a couple more videos. See first post for the list.

4. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

5. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

6. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

7. Twinny

Twinny

This is a nice change of pace, but im curious as to whether you plan on continuing the C# series?

8. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I've been giving that a lot of thought. At the moment there appears to be more interest in the texturing tutorials, although I should be finished those after two or three more. After that I've got several options. With C# I'll have to start working with more Unity specific content, but I'll have to admit that I'm still not totally familiar with the Unity environment. I can do coding like everyone else but I don't yet have the experience required to work out the best way to do things and the best way to present it. More study and practice needed. I'll get there eventually but it might be a while, maybe even towards the end of the year. I'm currently exploring environment design so my next tutorials might be on that topic. There doesn't seem to be a lot of it around at the moment.

9. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

10. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

Thinking more about this and I will be making some more C# videos in the next couple of months. Still not in Unity but I want to explore composition, inheritance, interfaces, that kind of thing.

11. christinanorwood

christinanorwood