Search Unity

Unity 4.2.2 to 4.3.4 performance drop

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by rextr09, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rextr09

rextr09

Hi, I have upgraded my project from Unity 4.2.2 to Unity 4.3.4. Without changing a single line of code, both iOS and Android versions performance dropped at least 3-5 fps. Then I have tried another project, the result is the same.

The following link compares performances of Unity 4.2 and 4.3 and it states the opposite:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2013/12/30/monitoring-unity-performance-part-i/

So, I think I'm missing something. Is there any new features that I need to turn on/off? What's your experience in upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3?

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Apologies for a small rant, but I check these Unity3d board like every day and seen many threads in iOS about performance.
    I don,t like the way things are being handled, although there is always bug fixes, there no specific mention of performance upgrades.
    Recently all I seen is people explaining issues, all one gets is raise a "bug" report. I dont think a standard QA can deal with this, senior QA, not even that a programmer needs to check it and figure out whats happening..

3. Dantus

Dantus

What's your case number? According to the other thread you are waiting. I guess Unity is also waiting for your report.

That's the way it works. If Unity doesn't get the projects to reproduce the issue, they won't be able to resolve them. It is our responsibility to submit meaningful reports. If possible, we should certainly submit the smallest possible reproductions. But especially issues like performance regressions are hard to debug on our side and Unity has far better tools for that. Yes, it is a lot of work for them, but it is their job.
    In order to resolve issues, Unity needs the required information which is mostly only available in actual bug reports. What should they do without actual reports? They may have a dice with different topics on each side. After they have thrown it they may know that this time the issue may be due to the physics engine...

4. rextr09

rextr09

No, they are not waiting for my report. They are already aware of the bug.

Quote from Joe Robins on the same thread:
    "Hey all, a bug on this issue has been logged in our system so we are aware of the bug and its being looked into"