Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Duke Nukem:Annihilation Fan Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by RedLine, Feb 13, 2014.

1. RedLine

RedLine

$conceptartduke4.jpg

Duke Nukem:Annihilation Fan Game

Duke Nukem:Annihilation is fan made game as tribute to Duke Nukem franchise, game is set in altrenative history and is not connected with any games in original franchise. Game is published by "Red Line with collaboration and help from Angry Pie"
    and it will be uploaded as free download

All reserved rights goes to Gearbox and 3D Realms

Release Date: TBA

You can follow us on our offical facebook fan site: https://www.facebook.com/DukeNukemAnnihilation?ref=ts&fref=ts

Here are some of concept arts for game:
    $conceptartduke3.jpg

First trailer uploaded, no HQ for now, we will fix that later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. TheRaider

TheRaider

Looks cool, I hope you don't get shut down.

calmcarrots likes this.
  3. RedLine

RedLine

It's a fan tribute game, we won't get shut down ;)

4. Mauri

Mauri

You might get shut down. The developers of the original Duke Nukem game won't care if it's a fan tribute game or not. It's all about saving intellectual property rights.

5. Laakeri

Laakeri

Great, another Duke Nukem game! I'm sure this will be better than Duke Forever ;)

6. RedLine

RedLine

all reserved rights of duke goes to Gearbox and 3D Realms, what we are doing is small indie game as tribute to Duke Nukem, we won't sell it or make any money out of it. Its like making tribute video expect we are doing a video game and its pretty big project

7. TheRaider

TheRaider

Sadly that hasn't mattered in the past.

There was a fan made Kings Quest which got shut down after a very large amount of development. Was very sad.

I guess it depends on the IP holder.

8. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Could indeed be fun. Most probably more than the original but they even stopped a small hl2 mod. Might be that stopping it was just the dumb idea of a 3D Realm lawyers, thinking they would somehow compete with the "upcoming" (lol) Forever.
    I wouldn't try it anyway.

http://www.gamershell.com/news_19776.html

9. AndyBumpkin

AndyBumpkin

Agree with others - Might be good to get their blessing early on rather than face trouble later. It's possible they'll be nice if you approach them first rather than them finding out about it later.

Otherwise looks interesting! I'll wait to see what your take on Duke is. I was always surprised they went with the traditional girls, guns and one liners with Duke as there seems a lot of comedy opportunity in him resisting his base urges in situations and trying to be a better person! Just my thoughts of course ;)

10. Foestar

Foestar

I like the idea, as I found that the developers of duke nukem (in development) forever let their fans down hard. Then I felt that 2k games didn't give a rat's @$$ about it either so they didn't put that much effort in other than slapping their name on a already put together project.

As for the copyright/rights issues, worse come to worse you could always make it a duke nukem (style) game with knock off names. ^_^

11. TheRaider

TheRaider

Well turns out they did use that IP since they re-released it on mobile platforms.

12. Sslaxx

Sslaxx

Which was only temporary. http://www.tsl-game.com/index.php

The guys who made it, by the way, use Unity. http://www.postudios.com/

13. TheRaider

TheRaider

14. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

Are you sure ? Maybe we are talking about different mods. I know of a mobile version that was done officially for 3DRealms by MachineWorks Northwest. The stopped half life fan mod recreated parts of the early forever trailer and Realms official statement seamed very clear about it.

15. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

You still can get shutdown if it's free. Because your game could divert attention from Duke Nukem games. Which would cause sales loss for gearbox/3d realms. Many games have been shutdown in the past, you better off making your own unique characters.

16. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

I would really love to see a good duke nukem game again, but unfortunately, most people replying in the thread are right, your game might get shutdown for IP violation :/

17. jameos

jameos

i love fan games but the harsh reality is 3d realms is strict and its happened before maybe sending them an email with your plans to get approval to do so :) anyway good luck

18. RedLine

RedLine

First of all thank you for your support. For now we can only work and se what will happen, we are also working on contacting gearbox. I will let you know more later on

19. RedLine

RedLine

More artwork uploaded !

20. orbobservation

orbobservation

I'd love to see something Duke related, I started off my videogame development days making Duke Nukem 3D user maps- would be nice to see something that resembles the original but has an air of modernity. Do be careful though, if you research the Duke Nukem : Reloaded project; they seemed to have disagreement with Gearbox after they got permission since they may not be able to release the game after completion. I'm not sure if that's the exact case as the reasons given are a tad vague.

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes you can do Nuke Nukem fane game, caus your game would use copyright name, art, character and ideas.
    Try to be more creative instead of copying like all FPS do. you can keep same humour style and some babes, and make your own gameplay.
    Really no need to steer with Duke Nukem copyrights.

22. orbobservation

orbobservation

Just read this interesting piece of news-

http://www.moddb.com/games/duke-nukem-3d-reloaded

"Investment Firm Behind Interceptor Entertainment Acquires 3D Realms
    Aalborg, Denmark - March 3rd, 2014 - Danish investment firm, SDN Invest, has acquired Apogee Software, Ltd d/b/a 3D Realms (not to be confused with Apogee Software, LLC - publishers of Rise of the Triad) SDN Invest is part-owner and principal investor in Denmark-based game studio and Rise of the Triad developer, Interceptor Entertainment. Effective immediately, the new CEO of 3D Realms will be Mike Nielsen. Mr. Nielsen also serves as Chairman of the Board at Interceptor.

SDN Invest was founded by Nielsen when he stepped down as CEO of Coolshop.com - a leading online retailer in Northern Europe which he co-founded in 2002 - to focus on investing in companies with potential.

“3D Realms is legendary for its contributions to the gaming industry.” Remarked Nielsen, the newly appointed CEO. “As both the pioneer of the shareware model and an always generous partner who has provided both funding and guidance to game studios such as id Software, Parallax Software,

Remedy Entertainment, and many others. 3D Realms has also developed, co-developed, and co-financed such hits as Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, Rise of the Triad, Raptor, Shadow Warrior and Prey. There are only a handful of independent studios with a better track record of original games. Yet even with this stellar track record, we hope we can take the company to new heights."

“3D Realms has always been a defining part of the PC games industry.” Added Frederik Schreiber, CEO of Interceptor Entertainment. “Getting 3D Realms under our wings is a huge step for us and we are extremely excited about the acquisition.”

Scott Miller, co-founder of 3D Realms concluded, “My long time partner George Broussard and I are extremely proud of our past, especially as developers who always tried to partner with up-and-coming studios who just needed their break. Our history shows we did that throughout the 1990s 2000s, and I expect the new 3D Realms to continue with this tradition in full force. Our industry needs more good guys, who honor the profession and fellow hard-working developers."

Interceptor Entertainment CEO Frederik Schreiber confirmed the news on our forums as well his Twitter account today, and said that more news will follow soon. According to Danish newspaper Børsen, Mike Nielsen is the newly appointed CEO of Apogee Software and 3D Realms.

=The Lawsuit=

Gearbox has filed a lawsuit against Interceptor stating that they have no right to use Duke IP for a new Duke game.

"This case stems from efforts to illegally exploit Gearbox’s intellectual property rights in the Duke Nukem video game franchise. Specifically, Defendants Interceptor and 3DR have colluded to misappropriate and make infringing use of the Duke Nukem trademarks and copyrights owned by Gearbox."

Interceptor Entertainment has not said how this will affect Duke: Nukem Mass Destruction, but Interceptor said it will have an official statement tomorrow.

Edit: Interceptor makes their statement

"We wouldn’t have entered this development if we weren’t sure, 100% that we were doing what we were allowed to,” added Schreiber “We would never enter agreements like these if we hadn’t done the necessary research, the legal research, beforehand. That would simply be too risky for a small company like Interceptor.""

23. RedLine

RedLine

First Trailer Uploaded !!

24. RedLine

RedLine

25. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

Please continue, I love the character and would love to see a Unity game.
    Any progress screenshots etc.?

Are you planning on incorporating ladies in the gameplay? (you could make unique gameplay features :p )

26. RedLine

RedLine

We are working hard, and really soon we will show bunch of new screnshoot's and videos !!

27. K.Meier

K.Meier

I am a huge Duke Nukem fan ever since I was 10 years old (Now I am 30). But I do have to agree with what many people said here, back in the days when 3D realms was in charge, they shut down every fan made project.

I remember an Unreal tournament mod that was shutdown, a Half Life 1 mod, and even counter-strike plugins were shutdown because 3D realms didn't like the idea of 3rd parties creating content for their franchise. For that reason there are almost no mods or fan projects out there.

I hope this has changed with Gearbox and 2K in charge of the license.