Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Still no plans for Linux editor support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam_Pr, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

How many studio's use Linux to develop games? Most of them that i know of i say well over 50% of studio's Use Linux in game development

2. shrinidhi666

shrinidhi666

dude.. maya was first developed for linux/unix sgi based system and then after alias took over it was ported to windoze . and you are misguiding the people with half researched knowledge like " Even Autodesk Maya limits what it supports on Linux, " . please dont tell this to anyone working in the movie industry because you will make a fool out of yourself . maya runs without any limits on linux and much better than windoze . if there was a limit .. the movie industry wouldn't have moved to linux!.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  3. raybarrera

raybarrera

Yeah, but to be fair in VFX and film, linux is mostly used in farms, not by artists.

4. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

Pixar artists uses linux, there was even a story where they lost their whole film because rm, http://laughingsquid.com/pixars-the-movie-vanishes-how-toy-story-2-was-nearly-lost/ :eek:
    http://www.muktware.com/2013/04/pixar-animation-studios-uses-red-hat-enterprise-linux/4271, here is them using red hat linux with an opensubdiv example
    ILM uses linux http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6011 as well
    Weta uses linux as well, just check their jobs page, looking for linux users.

So... I don't think you're being "fair" :0

Abscissa likes this.
  5. shrinidhi666

shrinidhi666

i have personally worked in a vfx studio and still work . and worked in the technical department .. its not just farms.. its the desktops too . and mostly studios dont mess around with different OS with farms and desktops since they will not be compatible with the encoding of the files . its a mess! .

there is nothing like .. "oh.. we use windows for making the production files and then use linux to render" . its either windows OR linux on both desktop and farms.. only graphic and binary formats like png jpg exr are compatible between OS . in my experience even those give problems when OS is switched! .

this is because the files are stored differently in windows and linux internally and the library versions of different graphic formats differ .

its kinda disappointing at how these discussions are taken over by people without any knowledge of what they are talking and skew the fact to fool others into their half baked believes. even if there is "google" . :D .

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Haha, yeah, I was going to say... I also " use Linux for game dev", but it's for back-end systems rather than workstations.

That's not to say it isn't also used elsewhere, just that the language can sometimes be misleading.

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

If this were true then the internet wouldn't work. All sorts of data formats are transmitted between computers which store it in all sorts of different ways all the time.

Yes, the internal storage formats can be different between OSes (but at the same time they don't actually have to be), but the data formats are the same and that's what matters. Storage formats and transmission formats are often different anyway, and the storage format is typically 100% transparent by the time something is transmitted.

The main issue I see is programs not paying attention to path capitalisation not worrying about it on systems that don't care about it, creating what is actually an incorrect path for systems that do care about it. The data is 100% the same, the issue is that the data wasn't created in a platform-independent manner in the first place.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. raybarrera

raybarrera

On the last point, the same can be said regarding your statement on file incompatibility, but I would digress. My experience in film or vfx has not been first hand, and mostly with smaller shops, so I could be totally wrong, but more relevant to the original point: Those advantages are moot when it comes to game development. While it may be true that many studios do use Linux, I'd wager the reason is because of the rendering pipeline, am I right? Absent that, it leaves very little reason for a Unity Linux editor (as much as I'd love to see it someday)

9. shrinidhi666

shrinidhi666

because most of the browsers ship their stable graphics libraries across platforms and they have made it a standard . i hope tat satisfies your first problem .

and for your "data is 100% same" . well . i dont think so in my experiece . the EOF is different EOL is different.. and many things are different and they depend on the tools used to write the file . for eg : i have had problems with mp4 ecoded using ffmpeg which fails to play in windows due to some encoding problems . .. its all masked from the common user and the OS does most of the stuff in the backend . else there wouldnt have been a command called "unix2dos" or "dos2unix" . anyways.. its a different topic altogether to discuss and its huge :D .

10. shrinidhi666

shrinidhi666

its not only for the rendering pipeline . studios prefer linux for the openness and also some studios manipulate it so much to make it their own OS (which is not possible easily with windows ) to implement lots of back-end stuff for production pipeline . many core linux functions are different in different studios according to how they have implemented the pipeline . as far as rendering pipeline is concerned .. its almost the last stage of CG production . then starts the post production stages where the rendered images are taken for further enhancements.

and yes .. these are moot when it comes to game production .. well . .i didnt write the post regarding "unity editor for linux" .. i just wanted some people to know the facts . better than misinformation you see :) .

As for "On the last point, the same can be said regarding your statement on file incompatibility, but I would digress" . well .its my personal experience in my work place with libpng . some versions of linux libraries render png useless in windows and vice versa . and i too was stomped due to this and spent at least a couple of days trying to find the problem . may be one of experience .. but things can go wrong when changing OS .. and it is never recommended .

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

We're talking at different levels of abstraction, I think. Anyhow, my point isn't that there aren't platform incompatibilities, it's that they arise from how data is used, not the different methods of storing it on a disk or in memory.

12. shrinidhi666

shrinidhi666

yep .. we have a terminology problem here . :) .. yea.. its never the problem of storing differently on disk .. a file created on ext3,4 file system will work exactly how it has work if its moved to ntfs also . tats not what i wanted to say since i already know that . its the high level library incompatibilities that might break things . and might give you a headache for a couple of days .
    anyways .. i hope unity devs will make a linux editor when they have time . am waiting . and just started learning how to use unity :D . its interesting . its just that i am damn irritated with the inconvenience windows puts you in when you come from a linux developing background . the awesome tools linux provides for development is unparalleled when it comes to stability and debugging and yes the biggest boon - "copy/paste" convenience :D

13. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

14. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

15. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

I think it is, at least they are announcing support for linux editor in their roadmap... maybe not interesting if you use only unity as they haven't announced anything or even have a roadmap that is public.

16. superpig

superpig

Hardly. They've said that they will be 'actively developing' Linux editor support for the two months mentioned on the card, but that's all - no guarantee that it'll be finished, or that it will ship, or really of anything at all other than that an unspecified number of people are planning to work on it for a bit.

It'll become a little bit interesting when they actually have something ready to ship. But still not very interesting, because I don't give a S*** about doing development on a platform with no Visual Studio.

17. Aabel

Aabel

Thanks to source access it's happening quicker than Epic's time table has it laid out. https://twitter.com/MarkRein/status/464832071224270851
    Looks like enough people wanted it enough to make it happen on their own. The UE4 ecosystem is picking up in speed.

Abscissa likes this.
  18. bitcrusher

bitcrusher

you mean the monodevelop we have for unity lol...

shkar-noori and Abscissa like this.
  19. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

In case there has been any question about whether or not open source code access is a good idea, this definitely answers it. End users releasing a UE4 Linux editor instead of waiting for Epic. Everybody wins with open source, including Epic. Meanwhile, Unity's Linux based editor is nowhere in sight.

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not open source. Having access to source code != open source.

--Eric

zombiegorilla likes this.
  21. superpig

superpig

Bear in mind that 'building and running' is nowhere near the same thing as 'done' - Unity's 64-bit editor, for example, has been in a buildable and runnable state for a very long time, but various features had to be removed in order to get it to do that - it's only recently that they've got all the parts of it working under 64bit to the point that they're almost ready to ship it. That the UE4 community have gotten the core parts working is cool but you should check whether they have total feature parity or not yet.

No, I'm mean to Monodevelop. It deserves it, the little S***.

22. Aabel

Aabel

Of course it's not done yet, but it's further along than it would have been if it was left entirely up to Epic, that is the point! Thankfully this is 2014 and not 2004 and developers don't have to wait. It's hilarious and exciting to me that the UE4 community is busy adding freaking Linux support to the editor, leapfrogging Epic's official roadmap. If this is what the UE4 ecosystem is going to look like Unity Technologies is in for a rough ride ahead.

23. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Fair enough, but two things to keep in mind there:
    - Not everyone is a coder, and
    - the coders who want a Linux editor probably have a preferred coding tool that's on Linux anyway.

Abscissa likes this.
  24. Jop_V

Jop_V

Ok, this is dumb. Unity's competitors already have Linux editors. Unity is stupid not to make a Linux editor.

Abscissa likes this.
  25. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I agree there should eventually be a linux editor. Since... steam is basing steamOS on linux... and unity can export to linux... and linux is free...

Linux is going to rise in the gaming world shortly, so there will be an interest in game development on linux. If unity isn't there, another engine will.

Abscissa likes this.
  26. Sisso

Sisso

27. bleeds187

bleeds187

28. Imre

Imre

Wow, this have to be poorly written code when swithing to 64bit takes so much pain...

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, just code with lots of dependencies.

--Eric

30. superpig

superpig

As I understood it the problem was less 'poorly written code' and more 'dependencies on third party libraries that didn't provide 64-bit versions.'

Such as Webkit.

31. Mike4

Mike4

32. image28

image28

I wouldn't mind a Linux editor, but it's not essential.... Dual-Boot with windows at home.... And all windows systems at the office.... Unrelated, I like the grouping of error messages in the debug log window in the latest unity update, much cleaner.

33. superpig

superpig

That's been in since forever. Did you accidentally discover the 'Collapse' button at the top of the Console window?

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Collapse has indeed been there forever, but it's been improved recently in that it now shows you how often each message has appeared.

35. superpig

superpig

Yeah, but I think that happened in like 3.5 or something.

36. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Really? I swear something has changed recently. I don't use collapse mode often, though, so I could be mistaken about what/when.

37. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They added the counter when using collapse mode in Unity 4.0. They did refine the look of the counter slightly at some point (maybe Unity 4.3), where it has a bit of a shadow so it stands out more.

--Eric

38. image28

image28

You're right.... haha.... must have pressed it by mistake after doing the update.....

39. Shashi

Shashi

My question is not related to linux but to another opensource os FreeBSD.

I believe that FreeBSD and Mac are binary compatible to some extent.

Does Unity3D runs natively on FreeBSD/PC-BSD/Net-BSD/OpenBSD?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No...the Unity editor runs on OS X and Windows, and OS X is far different from FreeBSD (though parts of it were incorporated into Mach). An operating system is much more than just the kernel.

--Eric

41. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Leadwerks has a linux editor... but [one of] my game dev professor said even games developed on Linux don't end up being played on Linux. SteamOS needs to hurry up so linux gaming can be popular!

--edit

Random strike through text no idea what's happening halp pls

HeadClot88 likes this.
  42. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Send HALP

43. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Thanks Russian Hugh Laurie!

44. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Best actor ever!

45. Shashi

Shashi

I'm using Unity in Ubuntu 14.04 via PlayOnLinux/Wine.
    But, I couldn't access the asset store.

Is there a way to access unity asset store from linux/freebsd derivatives or download them independently (from not within unity) like torrents for free assets?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  46. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

it was not that common in 2010, which was ~5 years ago

47. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

And Unity 5 is 64-bit, so what I said was correct...they were aware of the issue and were working on it.

--Eric

48. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

This isn't the right place for these sorts of issues, check this thread, since we don't actually support Unity on Linux, we can't help.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity3d-on-linux-with-wine-support-thread.211059/

49. Glader

Glader

I'd have to disagree with the of the sentiment that some of your share about wanting a Linux editor and thus requesting it. Imagine how much work that would be and what else they could accomplish instead. They might as well make a webplayer version of the Unity3D engine because that, in the usefulness per cost ratio, would probably be better.

It's unimaginable the amount of work they'd have to do porting whatever open source 3rd parties libs that they use to be functional in Linux, if they don't have Linux builds, as well as their own engine itself. All for the smallest possible OS market. That would be a disservice to all of Unity's customers as well as to people who want the Linux editor, even though they fail to realize it.

Unity is not asking you to develop on a UNIVAC. Just Mac or Windows which makes up the majority of the market. I don't see how that's too much to ask. I think we're lucky that there is even a .Net implementation that is functional on Linux and Mac. To request that software developers produce products between all three major operating systems with both .Net/Mono/C/C++ dependencies 3rd party or not is too much to ask for.

HeadClot88 and zombiegorilla like this.
  50. Pilvinen

Pilvinen

Oh. I just spent over a hour trying to navigate through Unity3d.com pages trying to find where I can buy the Linux version and then i finally found this thread.

Somehow I assumed - Unity being advertised as multi platform - it would also have editors for those platforms. I'm somewhat disappointed that it in fact does not.

But the reason I had to register to comment was that when I was reading through all these comments I was rather surprised (not pleasantly) how childish the comments of the developers of Unity seemed for a company of this stature.

This is probably why most large companies have a PR staff. I think you could probably afford to hire one too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.