Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Still no plans for Linux editor support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam_Pr, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam_Pr

Sam_Pr

Just wondering if there are still no plans to bring the editor to linux, because I really want it.

RicardoViana, rakkarage and Abscissa like this.
  2. nipoco

nipoco

If you really want to work with Unity so bad, use Windows, or OSX.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thankfully, no. This would completely burn a hole in unity's development priorities for really absolutely no reason. Maybe we should have an ipad version of unity as well :p

I hate to be negative but I need unity to focus on the important things like improving performance and having fast native PBR.

4. Meltdown

Meltdown

Never... unless Linux gains a > 20% share among game developers as their primary platform.
    Which quite frankly.. is not going to happen anytime soon.

5. Aabel

Aabel

How about a 64 bit editor first?

shkar-noori and AwesomeX like this.
  6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

At this stage I think there's far less overall cost for a few developers to install a new OS than for Unity to add and maintain an entire new development platform.

7. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

^ Exactly! I personally dont like Linux (I have Windows 8.1 (Which is hell with Unity)). I think they should work on Unity's features than its platforms. It's not like Unity will gain another million users if they support Linux, so don't expect it anytime soon.

8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

If Unity had a Linux editor how many Pro licenses would your studio purchase? (I really want a Lamborghini Gallardo but it turns out these cost money.)

Cogent, shkar-noori and RJ-MacReady like this.
  9. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Unity does deploy to Linux, so Linux users can still play your games.

Cogent likes this.
  10. xlr8

xlr8

It's not financially viable. The majority of people wanting a Linux editor likely can't afford Pro licenses to help keep its development ongoing. Existing sponsors who help keep Unity Indie free of cost likely don't want their sponsorship used for a platform that has less than 5% of the game market.

Linux is not a reliable game development platform. Android (which is based on Linux) is already a problematic platform for many game and middle-ware developers.

On the other hand, VMWare works very well on Linux. You can most probably run Unity for Windows inside VMWare

11. xlr8

xlr8

You sound awfully bitter and resentful about something you have no control of.

Your personal grievances don't change anything as far as deploying to those platforms are concerned

"Unity does deploy to Linux, so Linux users can still play your games."

Okay?

12. xlr8

xlr8

It amazes me the level of entitlement and self-centredness some people have about technologies they have not even the slightest understanding of in creating. Perhaps learn to speak with your wallet instead of going about complaining and making ridiculous demands like some spoiled little girl?

13. JovanD

JovanD

^^This.
    Am i the only one who thinks it should have been there on release? I mean isn't it obvious that almost all development machines are gonna be 64 bit?

Flickayy likes this.
  14. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

• Authoring 64-bit games (i.e. games that actually need to be 64-bit due to large data)
    • Allowing 32-bit games to have all their resources loaded in the Editor without falling over - i.e. my builds use around 3GB already when textures are at full resolution, so I actually cannot have the textures at full resolution in the editor because there's no memory left for Unity's editor tools. Thus I cannot do the WYSIWYG thing properly.
    • Building large streaming worlds - i.e. even if I'm only going to load a small section of my city into memory at one time during gameplay, when authoring it's helpful to load neighboring sections (or even the whole city) so I can make sure things are built correctly across streaming boundaries

I get out-of-memory crashes very frequently with Unity; 64-bit would make them go away.

Flickayy likes this.
  15. prophet

prophet

Or someone could put together a poll of what the community prefers Unity to work on next. Have the options of 64-bit, Linux editor and something else. This way you may get a better idea of what people want.

The problem with forum polls though is that not all users are on the forums.

Flickayy and Abscissa like this.
  16. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I have no doubt that if those 8563 (12 Feb 14) users all queued up outside the Unity Copenhagen offices with their $1500 in cash in their hands the Linux editor would be worked on right away. With some social media I'm certain that we could get almost anything the top-voted wish.

Flickayy likes this.
  17. superpig

superpig

The thing about polls and voting is that the vast majority of people outside of UT have absolutely no idea about the relative amounts of work involved.

If there's super-popular feature A that is going to take six months and 10 engineers to build, and less-popular-but-still-useful feature B that is going to take a couple of days and 1 engineer to build, then the popularity of the features really doesn't matter; feature B is what's going to get built first.

Porting the runtime to Linux is a substantial chunk of things but there's still an absolute ton more to do, particularly in the editor where a lot more third party libraries are used.

18. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

No thanks. I'd be more interested in the 64bit version of unity. I hear that's whats keeping Houdini Engine from being deployed on OSX.

Also, keep in mind Unity is only one aspect of game dev, you still need other supporting tools like music and art related applications. I don't see any applications that can rival paid software available on windows or OSX - and those that are available, houdini for example, I don't see the run of the mill hobby game dev purchasing anytime soon.

OTOH, I recently moved from linux to osx - I get tools like Cheetah 3D, Pixen, and if I really need houdini I could drop the $$$ for it. You get great audio libraries like vsl, synths like zebra and alchemy.

My bottom line, choose the best tool for the job.

shkar-noori likes this.
  19. xlr8

xlr8

I already stated facts, but they don't fit your deluded sense of entitlement and reality.

Your follow up reply is bordering on nonsensical and illiterate and I honestly doubt you would know anything about developing native Linux applications that can run seamlessly across different distributions, architectures, video drivers, audio drivers, withstanding the challenges and resources needed to achieve such.

If you were any bit knowledgable of Linux on ARM, you would already know that rPi running Android could support Unity games made with 3.5.x. The poster was referring to silliness of trying to actually develop games with such a low powered device.

20. Aabel

Aabel

I wasn't aware Houdini Engine wasn't available on OSX yet, that is a real bummer! I guess I shouldn't be too mad about having to install Houdini twice, at least I get to use it! I know SideFX was planning on dropping support for 32 bit platforms altogether with H13 but in order to support the Houdini Engine in Unity they have to continue to compile a 32 bit build.

UT really does some things that just make me roll my eyes, no 64 bit editor is at the top of that list.

21. Tomza

Tomza

Well, I have no idea of which configuration you used to test Unity3D with Wine, but it works very good for me. Better and better, I must admit. I don't need Windows for running Unity3D anymore. 3D graphics in Linux is developing very fast. Mesa 10.0.2 make Unity3D running very good on openSuse 13.1. We, Linux users, are waiting for next versions impatiently. They can be only better.

Soon, I am starting a big Unity3D project for a big company and... I'm going to use Unity3D on Linux. Maybe, I'll be the first developer that use Unity3D on Linux. You like it or not, Linux users will be able to overcome all difficulties. We need time only.

Regards

22. Tomza

Tomza

Projects can be created now. There's no absolutely any problems. Just like under Windows. Even Unty3D Web Player works (Pipelight project). Yes, so far the asset store doesn't work with Unity3D on Linux. But we are working over solving this problem. To create and edit scripts, I use Notepad++. I'm accustomed to using it, so I don't need MonoDeveloper. I've written many programs in many languages with using Notepad++.

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You think they're just sitting around saying "eh, 32 bits should be enough for anyone"? They're more than aware of the issue. If it was that easy, it would have been done by now.

--Eric

24. Tomza

Tomza

I'm accustomed to Notepad++. I can work on both Windows and Linux. Yes, Notepad++ runs in wine. It's really stable. Just like under Windows. I'm amazed at Linux technologies developing. A few years ago, it would be impossible. Now, OpenGL is better than DirecX. Mesa is Open Source implementation of OpenGL. It is developed by people form Intel, among others. That's why, Intel graphics card is always fully supported by Mesa. Linux is a very good platform for game developing. For example, on the same laptop (2 GB RAM), I had Windows XP. Unity3D worked slowly. I had a lot of problems with performance. I know - I should have better hardware. OK, but when I installed openSuse 12.2, performance was much better. But 3D rendering was really bad. Unity3D on Wine was really S***ty. I upgraded my system to openSuse 13.1 and ... well, I can say that I was astonished. I updated Mesa to the recent version. I used Unity3D on Windows and Linux on the same hardware. I don't see a difference as to 3D rendering. No winks, jerks, and other bad things. But as to performance.... It's much better. Unity3D on Linux works in emulated environment; despite that its performance is amazing. No, I won't come back to Windows.

Vim? I tried to use Kate, but I could run it. I didn't run Vim, but I think I would be unsuccessful. I use Notepad++. Both Unity3D and Notepad++ run on the same PlayOnLinux disk. I tested many solutions, and Notepad++ seems the best. I don't like something like IntelliSense. A raw and simple editor -- it's all what I need in programming.

25. JovanD

JovanD

Well it certainly looks that way, i mean it's been what 4-5 years since release and still nothing and it wasn't there on release, so obviously at some point they had to have decided that 32bits is enough for the time.
    PS, pardon me if i come off as douche XD

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Since Unity's first release? No, version 1.0 was released in 2004 or 2005. It was common to have 32-bit software then.

--Eric

shkar-noori likes this.
  27. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

if they ever do make it, im sure it would be a pro only feature given how much work it would probably take.
    same with a 64 bit version.

28. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Well, such reactions were to be expected.

1. If they were to make the editor available under Linux I'd switch right away. Having a better desktop environment than under Windows and a much better way of keeping my tools up-to-date (package-management anyone?) would make way more productive.

2. I don't think this will happen in foreseeable future (to put it nicely). But with Valve pushing Linux and Microsoft being incompetent who knows how the gaming world will look in future? Maybe we'll get a Linux editor for Unity 6 or 7. ;)

3. There are other, more important things that need to be done (64 bit support for example).

Abscissa likes this.
  29. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

You might wanna check out VSL - that's my tool of choice. There is nothing like that is available natively on linux. Vsl do not provide linux native vst binaries, and I'd bet it's the same case as Unity - probably most of their paying userbase are on windows/osx.

In addition - hardware. For example, I use the vrm box as part of my setup. I have asked focusrite, there are no linux drivers. Again, I'll bet it is the same as Unity - most of their paying customers are on windows/osx.

Could you name some audio libraries and synths that run on windows/osx/linux? Off hand, I have no idea. Most of the people I know who do music are on windows or osx.

As such, I would like to state this: I choose the best tool for the job. From my perspective, linux is not a tool I would choose to run music or Unity with, as there are no supporting applications I want to use.

Don't get me wrong, I use linux daily at work with houdini, and it is a blessing in a vfx production environment. I can navigate through the terminal far faster than I can than windows. There is no bloat, and things run faster in linux vs windows.

30. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

... they don't represent paying customers.

There's a staggering number of reasons that the poll result in question might be excessively skewed away from what customers would actually pay for.

Ony likes this.
  31. superpig

superpig

Yes, there's that too.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Oh, just in case that came over the wrong way... my intention was to add to what you were saying, not disagree with it or anything.

33. Mr.T

Mr.T

This post is not intended to be sarcastic in any way.

I don't use linux. I am one of those old fossils that still uses Windows XP. Honestly I am more worried about what will happen to Unity on Windows Xp than on linux.

That said, let me move on to the issue I want to raise in the post

I wonder if Unity has a robust polling/feedback system based exclusively on what paying customers of Unity want.(I'm not one of them)
    This would give the rest of us some idea of where Unity development is headed in the future since I assume this direction will mostly be determined by what paying customers want

34. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Well, we can see what serial number is associated with each Unity account. And from that we can see whether the license is purchased or free (or license types we don't talk about on this forum.)

35. Dabeh

Dabeh

I wonder if you ever spend your leisure time looking through the posts with people showing off their work that has obvious pro effects to see if they have a license for the laughs.

36. Mr.T

Mr.T

So, an informal kind of opinion gathering system.There is no direct way to assess for example how much support a given idea has among, say those with a pro license, within for example, Unity feedback. Alright, thanks for the info

37. create3dgames

create3dgames

38. Tomza

Tomza

I like both Unity3D and Linux. I only have one suggestion - please at least do not make obstacles for Linux users. I know that you think that making Unity3D editor for Linux isn't profitable. OK, it's your decision. Some day it can be changed. I hope. Do all so that people can run Unity3D in Wine with no problems. Maybe some cooperation with Wine and PlayOnLinux? This is my suggestion. We have still problems with downloading unity assets, so maybe you should create an alternative for your Unity3D protocol (unity3d.kharma). I tried to implement it in my browser, but it crashes. We should solve it somehow.

Abscissa likes this.
  39. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Sure, but how does that accurately represent people who have different work/home/whatever licenses?

40. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I really don't understand this line of reasoning.

Looking objectively at the various options for an individual to be able to develop in Unity, "buy a Mac" or "Install a Windows partition" are orders of magnitude easier than "have Unity staff support Linux" or even "have Unity staff also test that their stuff works in Wine".

You want Unity to change and take on a huge amount of additional work, but you're not willing to spend an hour setting up a dual boot for yourself? Why not? If you really want to be able to use Unity and this isn't just some extension of a free software crusade I honestly don't understand why you're putting obstacles in your own way by refusing to take advantage of existing, simple, proven solutions.

41. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You could say that about the Mac version, or the Windows version. "Just dual-boot Windows". "Just buy a Mac". The fact is, dual-booting sucks kind of a lot, and I would never do it. A VM is far better, but still a long way from ideal. Maintaining another OS just to use one app is a major pain, and not really feasible for large groups. Wanting a Linux version is perfectly reasonable, and depends only on having a critical mass of (paying) Linux users to make it viable.

--Eric

Ony and Abscissa like this.
  42. Tomza

Tomza

Good IT companies have solutions for Windows, Mac, and Linux. For example, I have NetBeans and Eclipse on Linux. They work as under Windows. I'm writing Java applications. But I know that your work is concentrated on something different. OK, I understand.

I want to say another time: Unity3D running in Wine and PlayOnLinux is very good with the configuration I use. Only the Unity Assets can't be downloaded. All other things, like for example Mecanim and animations, work very well. Each subsequent edition Wine, PlayOnLinux, Linux kernel, and Mesa will be only better for 3D acceleration. I've been observing the process since long time. The recent improvements are really crucial for 3D acceleration. Linux and Open Source developers know that to be successful they need to take care of graphics. Nowadays, Linux isn't a strange black window only, it's a universal operating system, good for games, too. So I'm not afraid of using Unity3D on Linux for commercial purposes.

Abscissa likes this.
  43. Dantus

Dantus

Stay away from Unity then! Unity is obviously not a good IT company! (Sorry, I am just following your logic...)

I was using Linux for several years and switched to Windows because of Unity. I really like Linux and would love it to use the Unity editor there, but at the same I am almost certain that it doesn't pay off from a commercial point of view. As this question is about money at the end of the day for Unity, it simply doesn't make sense to port the Unity editor.

44. Tomza

Tomza

I won't make Unity3D do anything- I have no such power :). It's my thoughts only. I know that "it simply doesn't make sense to port the Unity editor". I am only showing that Unity3D doesn't have to be ported to Linux. It works on Wine very well. In this situation, It seems the best way out for both Unity3D and Linux users. As soon as we solve the problem with downloading Unity assets, there won't be any reason to use Windows or Mac for game developing with Unity3D.

By the way, I'm not crazy as to using Unity3D on Linux. Game developing isn't important in my work; it is rather one of things I'm doing in my life. However, this problem reveals the hard relationship between Linux and some companies. Our task should be giving a choice to people in the world. Some people like Windows, some Mac, and some Linux. That's all.

45. Akira_san

Akira_san

46. Tomza

Tomza

Did you see my video? Did you see any crashes? NO CRASHES! Almost all works like under Windows. Some people say that Unity3D works fine with Ubuntu-based distros. I have no idea - I haven't tried them out. But I am sure Unity3D works with openSuse 13.1 perfectly. openSuse is probably the most stable distro of all. It's more stable than Ubuntu is. However, there are no recent packages, so I was forced to change a package provider for Mesa to get the newest version. Alas, my kernel is still 3.11, and I know that 3.12 improves graphics a lot.

To have Unity3D installed on Linux, please go to:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/211059-Unity3D-on-Linux-with-Wine-Support-thread

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  47. Damian-LinuxFan

Damian-LinuxFan

Maybe Linux Game designers be a use my fix for Unity for better working
    In this thread http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/211059-Unity3D-on-Linux-with-Wine-Support-thread
    is a be PlayOnLinux Script for Unity3d simply and working
    But Me and my Friend working on a modificate version of Wine 1.7.12 with patches and tricks for best working with Unity 3d and solving many problems.
    I'am think a month and we publicate on this forum Packages for most popular distros of Linux with easy script for Install Unity3d like one click :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  48. Tomza

Tomza

Damian, your script is very good. Some people - and me - say that. However, there are people that don't believe that Unity3D can run on Linux. Yes, it can! I've been trying to prove that for many days. You are a very talented developer. Good job! We, Linux users, are very grateful.

49. inafield

inafield

I'm glad that people have managed to get scripts and Wine working better. I used to be a heavy Linux user from 1994-2008, so I appreciate the efforts. However...

That's not really fair to the rest of us waiting on features and bug fixes.

Many people use Windows. Many people use Mac. In comparison to those numbers, a few people use Linux capable of running software like this. Even Autodesk Maya limits what it supports on Linux, and only because they had a few large clients that poured a ton of money into the company to pay for Linux support. Otherwise the "openness" and "choice" becomes suffocating to moving things forward.

Something like a modularized Unity that could update and/or swap modules and provide smaller updates is far more important than a Linux editor. Better updating, and faster rollout of fixes because their development teams aren't waiting for another team to stabilize a bug fix is a massive big deal. We might even get the option for supporting different physics engines or add-on lighting solutions.

50. Tomza

Tomza

I don't see any problem. Really. I wrote many times that I understood Unity3D Team. You want to earn money, and it's OK!. Earlier, I wished to have Unity3D Editor for Linux, but now we have another solution. We will be developing it, so that people who love Linux can use Unity3D. That's all. I want all Linux Unity3D supporters accept the situation, where there's no Unity3D Editor for Linux, but there's a solution for running Unity3D Editor for Windows in Wine. This solving the problem for both Unity3D Team and Linux users. So...

the problem has been solved, I think. No claims, no blames, and no sorrows. If Linux users are convinced of rightness of this way and all works well, Unity3D will gain new clients and new licenses will be bought. We are on the same side, guys. Maybe Unity3D developers are able to support our solution somehow. Say people on your website that Linux users can use Unity3D with Wine and PlayOnLinux. Help us. We are your clients, too. It's true we are "a few" only, but we are clients! A few? Thousands people in the world wish to use Unity3D on Linux. Thousands! Compromises are good.

SO THERE ISN'T A PROBLEM. Develop Unity3D because it's really good software. Develop and let us run it on Wine. That's all.

Best wishes from Poland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.