Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Swinging/Ninja Rope

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by PrimalNectar, Feb 11, 2014.

1. PrimalNectar

PrimalNectar

I recently needed to implement rope swinging in a project I'm working on and wanted to share how I did it (since there isn't very much talk on this topic).

$Swinging Screenshot.png

I'm creating a swing with the Unity Component HingeJoint creating it via code (instead of in the Editor) when the user left-clicks then destroying it when the player releases the button. I'm creating and destroying the Component because I only want the player to be attached when holding down the button and HingeJoints can not be disabled.

I'm using a Player and Anchor GameObject. The Anchor isn't rendered but is moved to the point where you're swinging from on click. The Anchor NEEDS a HingeJoint too! If only the player has a HingeJoint it will create unexpected behaviors.

$Player Inspector Screenshot.png
    $Anchor Inspector Screenshot.png

Code (csharp):
    2. /** On left Click **/
    4. //move the anchor to the correct position
    5. anchor.transform.position = new Vector3 (hit.point.x, hit.point.y, 0);
    6. //zero out any rotation
    7. anchor.transform.rotation = Quaternion.identity;
    9. //Create HingeJoints
    10. joint = gameObject.AddComponent<HingeJoint> ();
    11. joint.axis = Vector3.back; /// (0,0,-1)
    12. joint.anchor = Vector3.zero;
    13. joint.connectedBody = anchor.rigidbody;
    14. anchorJoint = anchor.AddComponent<HingeJoint> ();
    15. anchorJoint.axis = Vector3.back; /// (0,0,-1)
    16. anchorJoint.anchor = Vector3.zero;
    18. //Now just add Force!
    20. /** On left Click release **/
    22. //Destroy HingeJoints
    23. Destroy (joint);
    24. Destroy (anchorJoint);
    Notes
    • Player input for movement adds force to the Player's Rigidbody in the left and right direction
    • I'm using a LineRenderer and a double faced material (no culling) to draw the line
    • Make sure there aren't any colliders on the Anchor or physics will affect it creating unexpected behavior
    • I have constrains on the Player's Rigidbody because I'm working on 2D and don't care about an axis

I hope this is helpful, happy Coding! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. matbrummitt

matbrummitt

Thanks for sharing. I started work on a ninja roping game last year which unfortunately i've been too busy to complete. I have all the rope wrapping and unwrapping working nicely, and left it halfway through the physics stage. From memory I believe I went for the same joints you did and it was working ok, but not perfectly, so when I get the chance to continue working on it, i'll refer back to this post for guidance.

3. A-man tuna

A-man tuna

Thanks for sharing your work! However i'm getting a parsing error, is this becuase i'm working in 3d and not 2d?

4. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thanks for sharing. Nice snippet.

5. Killinq

Killinq

Sorry for necro, but does anyone have any idea have the force should be used? Should I use rb.AddForce() or something else? I'm doing this in 3D by the way.