Search Unity

Shadows not working on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

Discussion in 'Android' started by Aurecon_Unity, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Hi All

Does anyone have any info on shadows not working on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition? The shadows work fine in the editor but don't show up on the device.

I've adjusted the quality settings with no luck. Another user (idunlop_oefun) has also confirmed they don't work.

This is a massive let down to be honest - I bought the tablet for Android development as it is the newest, fastest tablet going around... I hope that it's something that can be fixed!

2. MDragon

MDragon

Go to your quality settings and edit it. For Android, it's probably set to no shadows.

Edit --> Project Settings --> Quality

3. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Hi MDragon, I've adjusted the quality settings with no luck. Another user (idunlop_oefun) has also confirmed they don't work.

4. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Further to this, I downloaded a few apps on the play store that were made with Unity and the shadows work fine, which leads me to believe that it could be an issue with the latest Unity builds?

Does anyone know how to bring this to the attention of the Unity staff/mods? I already issued a bug report but it would be great to get some sort of official response on the subject.

5. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

The thread I started last week:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/226842-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-2014-Hard-shadows-Supported

I filed a bug / case 589916 with example project. Hard shadows are definitely not working. I only have two Android devices (the other older) and neither display shadows. But the same app on iOS and the editor work fine.

Additionally I can confirm that the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition does support the GL_OES_depth_texture extension.

The problem could be Unity 4.3.4f1 or a bug in the GL driver on the device. I hope it's not a limitation of the device itself...

6. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Thanks for the additional info idunlop_oefun.

I can also clarify that I built the same basic project to my HTC One and it displayed shadows fine.

I have reached out to Unity also and hope to hear something back from them. I too hope it's some sort of software issue that can be resolved soon!

7. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

8. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

9. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Unity support has responded to say that yes, they can replicate the issue and acknowledge its existence. Unfortunately they couldn't give an ETA on actually fixing the issue, but at least we know it's getting looked at.

10. idunlop_oefun

idunlop_oefun

I received a reply that it's fixed on their internal builds. So, in theory, the fix should be available in the next release.

11. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Yep, I just got a similar email. This is great news! Thanks for keeping the issue updated.

12. cs_can

cs_can

Any update on this? I tried 4.3.4f1 with no luck.

13. celaeno

celaeno

I have the same problem, no shadows on galaxy note 10.1 (2014)

14. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

So apparently it might be fixed in 4.5 - they say that the following bug was fixed:

580726 No shadows on Samsung Galaxy Note3

Which might fix it on our tablets as well.

I'll test it in the next few days when I get time, but fingers crossed!

15. celaeno

celaeno

With Unity3d 4.5 the shadows are now NOT working correctly on HTC one, they did work correctly with Uniy3d 4.3.4 on HTC one.

On Samsung galaxy note 10.1 they seem to work correctly now with Unity3d 4.5.

So there is still a shadow problem.

cs_can likes this.
  16. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Oh man, so they now work for a device that was previously not working, but also stopped working on a different device that previously worked??

17. cs_can

cs_can

HTC One X is one of the Tegra based device, is it the reason?

18. Karolis Norkunas

Karolis Norkunas

Unity Technologies

Yes, HTC One X has tegra 3 graphics. That means that there is no GL_OES_depth_texture support. It should work on HTC One, I'll take a look at this.

--------------EDIT--------------------

Just tested on HTC one with Unity 4.5.2f1, shadows works fine,. Just don't forget to change your quality settings ;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  19. cs_can

cs_can