Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Dull Text

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Gurc, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Gurc

Gurc

Hi, I want to make a mini game in which player will be handling texts. I want the text to look good (it is the only visual of game) but the font/GUI combinations I use looks rather dull :(. I want the letters look shiny like in specular lighting, not monotone. One way is to customize font texture. This is a tedious task. Is there any other way to bypass this problem? :twisted:

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You could use 3D text, as in text made out of 3D models. If your needs are fairly non-dynamic then it may be enough to make the text in Blender and import that into Unity as a mesh. Otherwise there are some 3D font systems out there (not that I would know of any in particular, *cough* ;) ).

--Eric

3. ahaykal

ahaykal

Ow I know I know one:
    http://www.starscenesoftware.com/flyingtext3d.html

4. Gurc

Gurc

Thanks for the answer.

5. sschaem

sschaem

There is a WIP that you might be interested in:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/22...endering-amp-Editor-Tool-Looking-for-Feedback

One feature let you create fancy font treatments, all within Unity.
    You can also control via scripts how the text get rendered, nothing is set in stone its all dynamic, including specular lighting.

I'm attaching some unity screenshots to give you a feel on what kind of look can be achieved with any TTF, right within Unity.

A chrome style can be created by turning on bevel and applying an environment map.
    $cyber2b.jpg

You can animate any and all rendering parameter in your game, like add an emissive glow.
    $cyber2.jpg

I will post a few more examples to give you a better idea, but I would suggest giving the Work In Progress thread a read and post your feedback before 1.0 is released :)

$Chrome2.jpg

$lights2.jpg

$Round.jpg