Search Unity

Inspector2 - A powerful Inspector extension (WIP)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by thienhaflash, Feb 6, 2014.

1. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a new extension to improve the built-in Inspector quite a bit. Still at very early state but still very excited to show what's been done to get some feedback. Hopefully this extension will be helpful for many of you as I saw a lot of request for these features to be implemented, still not any extension out to was able to do this properly so I rolled out my version ...

Some early features included visual component reordering and comment for any GameObject.

Comment Batch Component Hider (hold alt / ctrl when click)

Advanced Selection Batch Component Copier / Remover

Visual Component Reordering

So, what do you think ? Are there any other features you would like me to add to this Inspector2 extension ? Does anyone like to join the beta version for evaluation, feel free to PM me !

thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  2. yung

yung

Looks pretty useful! Really like the features so far! One thing I would like to see is an easy way to mass copy paste components across different objects. Still, would consider picking this up if price is right!

3. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello yung,

I already put the mass component copy to the plan and it will be in for the very first version, I will update this thread with the demo soon. The price will be set to $5 (of course with some more features, not only those). Is that sound fair to you ? Do you have any other feature request in your mind ?

thanks.

4. yung

yung

That would be awesome! 5 USD will be a fair price! Looking forward to it!

5. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I'm happy you like it :) I will try my best to put it on the store asap. One more feature

3. Batch Component Hider (hold alt / ctrl when click)

6. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It's been days without any update, I was busy fixing the Drag Drop for the List, much harder than I thought. But at least it's finally working, and here are some more features implemented.

4. Advanced Selection

5. Batch Component Copier / Remover

As a side note, the green bar indicate that the component is actually a MonoBehaviour and the [F] button on the right will ping the coresponding script in the Project panel. The component reorder example is also updated.

7. vidjo

vidjo

This looks cool. I will keep an eye on it for sure.

8. Arac

Arac

This looks very useful.

The inspector window sometimes becomes very cluttered, and this would really help to make things more readable and clear.

9. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks vidjo and Arac.

If you have any sugggestion, don't hesitate to raise your voice :) I'm always on all of my ears !!!

10. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Looks great. Any ETA on when it's coming out on the asset store?

11. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello Nezabyte, thanks for your interest on Inspector2, I still have a lot features I want to put in for the first version plus the document thing so it will not be available before March 15, but I'm trying my best. If it's too long for you, I can send you a beta version so you can try it out. So, what do you think ?

@everyone : anyone who want a beta version of Inspector2 can send me a pm, I will send the current version back to you so you can try it out ! Just make sure that it's still not complete yet, expecting minor bugs along the way.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  12. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Around March 15 or so sounds fine :) Better to be patient than be confused with a bug. Thanks for the head's up and offering the beta version :cool:

13. vidjo

vidjo

I cant wait!! Keep up the great work on all your assets!

I was wondering if it would be PlayMaker compatible? Will it show PlayMakerFSM in the component window? Or will it display the user defined name? It would be much better if it displayed the user defined name!

14. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Hello vidjo, thanks for your kind words :)

Currently I haven't test Inspector2 with PlayMaker yet but I think it will show PlayMakerFSM instead of user defined name. I will absolutely have a look into this before releasing Inspector2 to the Asset Store. Thanks a lot for this idea, vidjo.

@everyone : If you have any request for integrating Inspector2 with any other 3rd library, just tell me. I will do anything I can to make Inspector2 work seamlessly with other extensions.

15. vidjo

vidjo

No problem, man. I really cant wait for this to come out. You put out some really great assets.

16. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks vidjo for your compliments :)

I'm really happy that you like it. Btw, I already integrate Inspector2 with PlayMaker, it's showing the user defined name instead of PlayMakerFSM

I will upload a screenshot soon so you can see if it's working the way you wanted.

thanks.

17. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

This part here where you're adding comments for the whole game object... this is all I ever wanted.

Question: It looks like this comment area can only hold 3 lines of text. Can the number of lines it shows be increased? What if you put 10 lines of text? Will it only have a scrollbar, or will the comment area become longer?

I would prefer that it become longer. Perhaps have a setting for max number of lines of text shown (that we users can adjust). Anything more, and it would start using a scrollbar.

EDIT: Also, what about a checkbox to let you see that text hovering over the object itself in the scene view? Like this: http://u3d.as/6Tw

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  18. vidjo

vidjo

I love all of AnomalusUndrdog's ideas! Especially the scene view comments!

19. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Yes, currently it does not work as expected, only 3 lines, but I have plan for it, exactly what you say, a specific maximum number of lines (I thought it should be about 8-10) then if more than that, a vertical scrollbar will do its job :)

Absolutely, absolutely, man, a brilliant idea. I will integrate it into Inspector2 of course ! Thanks a lot for this suggestion.

p/s : Just a remind that I currently offer private beta access to Inspector2, maybe you want to have a look, try it out in real life may yields even more brilliant ideas ? so, send me a pm if you want to have a copy of the beta version :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  20. vidjo

vidjo

I'll try out the beta

21. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@vidjo : PM sent, please check your inbox :) Looking forward to your ideas, suggestions or feedback :)

22. vidjo

vidjo

What is planned for the 2nd and 3rd tabs?

23. vidjo

vidjo

One thing that comes to mind is, when I use NGUI, I really appreciate how alll my transforms component have reset buttons for pos, rot, scale.

I dont know if having both of your assets together would cause a confliction, I havent tested it. But I do know that I'd like to have reset buttons for those properties like NGUI provides, even in projects where I do not wish to use NGUI.
    '

24. vidjo

vidjo

Also if you had a checkbox to save a component during play mode so you can quickly modify and tweak component values and have them automatically save when you exit play mode. This would be espcially useful if it could save playmaker FSMs as well because there is currently no asset that can do that. The guys at PlayMaker are trying to get a 3rd party app that can save FSMs during at play time. They would be happy to help.

25. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

- The info tabs provide more information about the GameObject, things like
    - How many children it has
    - How many vertices / polygon / meshes/ shaders/ material count
    - Global bounding box position / size
    - Toggle hide / show bounding box
    - Toggle hide / show comments
    - Force show pivot handles

- The notes tabs will do ask a note / task list with
    - check box to see if it's done or not
    - color based for prioritize tasks
    - numbering order list for things
    - show / hide archived tasks

It's currently in conflict states, so Inspector2 will not work when there is NGUI. I'm still looking for the perfect solution, but I have some workaround to make it work temporary. Maybe I should upload it in the next beta release.

Yes, I love that feature, too. This will absolutely come together with other cool features like lock a transform component, snapping, keep ratio ...

Yes, absolutely, this is what we called snapshot. Yet have time to implement but the basic idea is absolutely like what you suggest, snapshot got automatically saved when you enter / leave play state. And at anytime, when you think you need a snapshot of current tweaked value, you can save it too. So there will be a list of snapshots, where you can go forward / backward to see and you will never lost a saved snapshot again.
    I haven't implement, so can't test but in theory it will also provide you the information needed to recover the attached script if the reference is missing.

I haven't had a look at PlaymakerFSM yet, but I will absolutely support saving FSM state during playtime, so no worry. I will absolutely contact PlayMaker developers if I need their support.

Lastly, most important one :(, I'm really behind the schedule as I was very busy at work recently, also spend a lot of time fixing some nasty bugs some beta users reported to me, so I can not put Inspector2 to the store yet. Anyway, I think it's better as I will have more time tweaking and releasing updates to the betas, and people will have more time to test if it's really useful before actually spend the money.

So sorry for the delays, and I will try to release the next beta in a week or two. I love you all, your feedbacks is absolutely, absolutely valuable to me :) Thanks a lot !!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  26. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

The multi-lines comments is fixed today, It can now resize automatically based on input content. Scrollbar may come but it's been defer for more prioritized tasks

Also the horizontal scroller being visible from time to time is also fixed - Thanks Retucex a lot for reporting this. Actually I saw it before and I was thinking it's not my bug so didn't care much about that, until you report :)

One more thing - PlayMakerFSM is now showing the name (StateABC) instead just PlayMakerFSM

A lot of things to do before the next beta is out :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  27. vidjo

vidjo

What does the "F" button do?

28. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

The F button will find the coresponding asset in the Project panel (like select)

- For scripts : it will show where the source code is
    - For terrain it show where terrain assets being saved
    - For renderer it shows where the material is.

So, basically, if a component has any related asset it will show.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  29. vidjo

vidjo

Oh thats cool. So if a playmaker FSM is using a Template, you should make it find that too!

30. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Done, thanks vidjo for this cool idea, I don't know that Playmaker has templates before. And It will be in for the next beta release :) stay tune :)

31. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Just a quick note to everyone that I've just found a serious bug with Inspector2 that may affects the performance a lot, this is really bad news.
    The good news is that the fix is really simple and won't cause any potential problems or break anything, so no worry.

If anyone is using it in production projects make sure that you got the next update (not yet available).

Thanks a lot everyone.

32. vidjo

vidjo

Any other updates on this? I'm anxious to see what you have implemented :D

33. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Sorry vidjo for being late ...

I was very busy recently, for my full time job and fixing something for Hierarchy2. I will do my best to have the next beta for Inspector2 this week.

thanks for your interest, man

34. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Beside reset transform buttons like NGUI, there are some other improvements in Inspector2 like rounding and linking. Here is a quick screenshot :)

I'm still fixing something, trying to push the next beta out this weekend :) Happy trying it out everyone :)

35. vidjo

vidjo

Wow looks great! So if I have NGUI too, it wont interfere? Also, if I wish to use your assets personally in a shared project, but my coworkers do not, will it cause any problems? Basically, I will import Inspector2 personally, but I will not commit it to our shared repository. I just wanted to know if it adds anything to the scene that will cause problems if my coworkers dont have the plugin.

36. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It still a sadly yes :( it will interfere with NGUI. I'm still struggle to find a solution but haven't yet found a good one. I will contact Tasharen if needed to have a workaround. But in the worst case I think I can provide a command to patch NGUI's transform inspector (or any other 3rd inspectors).

Currently there is a script named Inspector2.cs you can commit (share with with your coworkers) and that will not cause any problems. Basically this script contains your saved information about comments, notes, link / round for position, rotation or scale. I have another idea better than this but It will take some more time, may be in version v1.3 or v1.4 as there are other priorized things planned for v1.1 (component snapshot / serialized) and v1.2 (transform tools)

Thanks. If you have any suggestions just tell me :) I'm always on all my ears :)

37. mathias234

mathias234

When will this be released i just bought hierachy2 and i love it

38. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@mathias234 : thanks for supporting me :) by buying Hierarchy2 I'm still trying to add some more features for the first version. There will be another Beta2 for Inspector2 before releasing it to the AssetStore, so a couple weeks more.

If you are eager to try it out, you can PM me and I will give you the beta access, but remember that it's still in development so there may have incomplete features and bugs :)

39. Demigiant

Demigiant

Just got Hierarchy2 and love it (and I rarely decide to implement an asset not done by myself in my workflow). Inspector2 looks pretty awesome too, and I can't wait to see it released. Take your time, and all my admiration :)

40. rcalt2vt

rcalt2vt

Looks very impressive. If possible I would like to see it compatible with Full Inspector ( http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/22...ization-for-structs-dicts-generics-interfaces ) as that is a basically must have for any serious serialization needs. The only other suggest I would say is look into the Rotorz framework ( https://bitbucket.org/rotorz/reorderable-list-editor-field-for-unity ) for your reorder list display, it's used by a lot of frameworks already and it's fairly stable from my understanding, no sense in maintaining code when good free code is available, but that's just being picky really.

41. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Izitmee Thanks for your words. I'm really happy then :)

@rcalt2vt
    I haven't test it yet but I think Inspector2 will works correctly with Full Inspector, I will have a look and make sure it works correctly with Full Inspector. Actually Inspector2 was planed to be compatible with all other 3rd plugins, so no worry, if I can do anything to support other libraries, I will.

Actually I thought about that before, before starting Inspector2 I had a look at Rotorz framework, very impressive, btw. But as Inspector2 planned for some more features that currently not supported by Rotorz, I need to roll my own version, also, maintaining something not from my side is a bit hard, I need to update everytime Rotorz updates. Still, I'm not sure what is the current status of Rotorz right now but I will definitely integrate it when possible, it yields the common UX to users and that's good.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions rcalt2vt, It's very valuable to me. I will absolutely take a note on this and do as your suggestions when possible.

42. mathias234

mathias234

Any updates?

43. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@mathias234 I'm sorry to tell there's nothing new yet :( Maybe next week I will send out the beta2

Thanks a lot for your interest, mathias234

44. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I think I should tell that I'm still in the middle on the work of Inspector2, I decided to do some refactoring and it takes pretty much time ...

45. Demigiant

Demigiant

Refactoring is good. Take your time, so we'll take a better Inspector2 when it'll be ready :)

46. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey I know I said "take your time", but I was wondering what's the status of Inspector2: did you put it aside or is it still in the works? I saw how each Unity update broke Hierarchy2 (which is a pity because it's awesome) and I'm afraid you might have been discouraged.

47. vidjo

vidjo

I'd love to know the status of this as well!

48. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Sadly it's true with this component as well, I think I was digging too much into the Unity internal, so I still struggling of making those two works correctly with newer Unity versions. Besides that, i was develop some other components using for my company's games which also got break with unity updates ...

So, beside that bad news, the good news (not really good, though) is I am still working on those components at night after work. Really hope to release this some day soon but I can yet to tell when.

Sorry everyone for being so late ... :(

49. Demigiant

Demigiant

Don't worry, I feel your pain with all those broken things :(