Search Unity

The Terrible Saga of Ulfar

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Gobla, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Gobla

Gobla

The Terrible Saga of Ulfar is a classic N64 inspired action puzzle-platformer with a serious twist about a ferocious Viking named Ulfar who has to overcome his biggest challenge of his life. With the promise of Valhalla he agrees to overcome an evil paint factory director and set free the gnomes.

Fight yourself through the magic factory with nothing more than your wit and... paint... while trying to maintain your sanity as a ferocious Viking in this horrible place of happiness. Expect sarcasm filled dialogues with the only ally you have in this realm: Gnakir.

About the game:
    The game is inspired by the old N64 platformer games like Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64. With a low poly, and colourful look you have to overcome many platformer puzzle challenges along with a unique use of magical paint. Feel the same frustration that a ferocious Viking would feel after being stripped from his weapons and has to solve puzzles with paint...

Target platforms:
    Game only: Android IOS
    Game + Level editor: PC, Mac, Linux

Completion:

2. BTStone

BTStone

You probably want to change the name of the game :p

3. Gobla

Gobla

Why actually :confused:?

4. ObsoleteAccount

ObsoleteAccount

He's referring to the overly-litigious Candy Crush Saga guys taking Banner Saga to court over the use of the word 'saga' I imagine.

They've also made a point of threatening people for using the word 'candy'.

5. Gobla

Gobla

Oh I completely forgot about those ingame-purchase loving people. Just reminds me that I want to copyright the word "The"...

Thankfully you can't copyright common words and so over here. Ah well, maybe It will just be a Netherlands only title then.

Edit: And if that fails I will just randomly smack the keyboard a few times with a bag of rice and use whatever name comes out of that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. awake

awake

Does Ulfar have other facial expressions?

7. Gobla

Gobla

He does, but his natural look is a bit menacing.

8. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

This reminds me more of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GameCube) than anything on N64 (well, ok, the goofy facial expression is totally N64...but let's just leave that issue for now.)

But, it looks awesome. I can't wait to play this.

9. softwizz

softwizz

Now slightly off topic but surely the word saga can be used here,

Remember back in 1984 when the game 'The SAGA of Eric the viking' was released?

Who is stealing IP now then? How can king.com claim IP to the word saga in a game title?
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0006918

Although the game may have been called 'Eric the viking'

Anyway, this game looks good so far and I will play it if it ever gets completed, however I will not ever play CCS :p

(I might have a tee shirt printed with FU King.com on it)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  10. Gobla

Gobla

Haha, nice! Count me in! I am working on multiple projects and slowly complete these step by step (just programming what I like and so), and I am aiming at the end of april for now for this game.

Ty, you can try it soon enough. Speaking of Wind Waker, I also am working on a small asset that implements fully dynamic mobile desktop Wind Waker-like water.
    Early example can be found here: http://peculiardeveloper.com/u3d/WindyToonWater/ )

Edit: Just tested the Wind Waker-like water on mobile. Works fine.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  11. GeneBox

GeneBox

Looks good!
    Also about using the word "saga", I'd advise caution... The same was done to Mojang for using Scrolls in their game title, Bethesda sued them for using that word too a while back.
    Sauce

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014