Search Unity

Super Space Surge - Demo

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by _Nick, Feb 1, 2014.

1. _Nick

_Nick

Hello Everyone!
    Update Two!

Since the start this year, I've been working on a game called Super Space Surge. As it's starting to come to completion, I've been updating and keeping up with a growing following on Twitter, Itch.io, IndieDB, etc, and only really saved the big updates for updating on here! :)

I've updated a couple times on here, and now that it's the start of May, I'm going to release the full game in a few days! In preparation of that, I'm updating on here, once again, and going to provide updated download links and where to purchase and download the full game, once released!

Without further ado: here is Super Space Surge!
    I'll have it fully released on Itch.io for just $5.00.
    However, I'll always keep the demo so people can play the first three levels, and so they can make sure it works on their computers!

Feel free to download the demo and tell me what you think!

Any feedback, comments, and concerns are greatly appreciated!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download Links:
    Itch.io | IndieDB

Also, feel free to give my website a check, too!
    Hello World++
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    $Screenshotr-03-46-48.png
    $Screenshotr-03-47-11.png
    $Screenshotr-03-47-07.png

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

3. _Nick

_Nick

I went ahead and updated this thread to the newest version + downloads of my game, in case anyone would be interested! :)

4. Darkays

Darkays

First I would like to say that this is a awesome game. It really is fun to play, my highscore was 226934.

I think that the game is really well polished and it shows in the presentation. I like the blend of 2D and 3D art in the game. Sometimes it was hard to figure out what helps and what hurts though. I tried to avoid everything, even if it helped because I wasn't sure if it hurt or not. I did eventually figure out which helped but I still wasn't entirely certain.

The controls were tight, though my main concern is that the speed of the ship is a bit too fast. Since this kind of game invokes a lot of precision movements I think the controls should allow for some more precise movements. Seeing as the keyboard is an "all or nothing" input you may want to slow down the ship to compensate. I don't think I would need to go all the way across the screen in record time in order to not get hit by bullets. it is more often that I need to navigate the labyrinth of bullets with smaller movements. Maybe you can even add controller support which could help give you some variability on the controls.

On a side note, I did find it odd that I needed to use the mouse to fire rather than spacebar or enter. Also I couldn't use the WASD keys to navigate the menus.

The music is great! I really do like how each song has some sort of tie to the "Main Theme" whether that be style or melodically. I was jamming out the level 2 music in particular, well done sir!

I really do think that this game is extremely polished and well presented, the gameplay was fun although a bit touchy, the art style is an interesting blend of 2D and 3D, and the music is very catchy. Well done Nick.

Oh and you might want to add "Press Spacebar to Start" when you first start the level. I was sitting there for a while before I realized I had to do that.

5. _Nick

_Nick

Thank you for giving it a shot! :) It means a lot to me, so thank you very much!

I actually just finished adding a variety of more "text" based directions just earlier today, including the "Press Space to Start" underneath the level texts! My main controls were Arrow Keys for movement, Shift for slower and focused movement, Z for firing, and X for bombing. However, I got many complaints from people over in Europe where the Z is pretty much the Y key or other sorts, and (eventually) I'm just going to have individual key mapping so anyone can set up controls to where anyone wants it to be! I just added "WASD, Shift, Click" to control just as a quick alternative, and completely forgot I left it in there, haha.

I also finished up the options menu just last night (since the demo is about a week and a half out of date, but many people were wanting a demo from what I've posted on Twitter, so I went ahead and uploaded ones on Itch.io!) Though, I've almost got the rest of everything touched up, and it'll be ready to fully release! I'll mess around with the ship speeds (since I'll agree that they're a bit too fast, I just got used to it.) I might just add a sensitivity control or something.

I'm also still tweaking with more visual and sound effects to make power ups known to help, so it's easier to distinguish. (I'm thinking about having a quick and simple little particle effect that when you collect a health/energy power up, it sends a quick little "magic" effect toward the bars at the bottom and having them glow, just so the player knows exactly what they're doing. That's just an idea, however.)

Thank you again for giving the demo a playthrough! :)

6. _Nick

_Nick

I've uploaded the final demo to my Itch.io and IndieDB page, and updated the main post of the thread to reflect everything! :)