Search Unity

NEW - Animated Dissolve shaders (for Shader Forge)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by imaginaryhuman, Jan 30, 2014.

1. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Animated Dissolves for Shader Forge

Special low price is just $20. Available NOW!

$AnimDis1.jpg

Shader Forge Beta 0.2 or later is OPTIONAL for editing the shaders visually.
    (all shaders are now pre-compiled for immediate use without Shader Forge)

Includes 24 shader variations including:
    - Unlit, Diffuse, Diffuse + Specular, Diffuse + Specular normal-mapped (1 or 2 normal maps)
    - Dissolve one texture in/out or dissolve between two textures including individual normal maps
    - Lit versions with Blinn-Phong lighting, but this is also configurable in Shader Forge (optional)
    - Shader Forge metadata allowing/requiring you to open them in Shader Forge and to customize them easily
    - Solid-blended and Alpha-blended versions
    - Custom palette control up to 2048 levels of edge coloration
    - Single-sided or double-sided rendering to hide or reveal the interior/back faces
    - Automatic animation system with delta-timing built-in, animates the dissolve at all times regardless of level
    - All shader model 3.0, requires Unity Free/Pro 4.3+ but shaders should work with earlier versions
    - ShadeForge Beta 0.2+ optionally required to edit the shaders visually
    - Shader Model 3.0 'desktop' shaders, not optimized for mobile, but you could use the unlit versions, or without normal mapping, or those with just 1 texture for better performance

$08ffdc64-47eb-4e7c-9842-a52054cf5fb5_scaled.jpg

Over 100 hand-crafted dissolve textures, Alpha8 format at 2048x2048 resolution (download is around 500mb!)
    - Including standard transitions - plasmas, liquids, pixellated, hexagonal, organic, computer-generated, etc
    - Also it includes realtime metaballs/blobby-objects simulation as a dissolve effect
    - Can be used with this or any other dissolve shader that supports Alpha8 textures

$eb1184fb-8076-44e3-a678-e2491ff96b74_scaled.jpg

20+ example palettes with 2048 levels, providing edge modeling, color transitions and edge softness/hardness
    - Can model a totally aliased very hard edge
    - Can model a beautiful antialiased edge
    - Can colorize the edge, not just with one color but with an entire palette
    - Can create colored bands based on dissolve levels
    - Supports alpha, which combines with source and destination texture's alpha channels
    - Color can be `moved` around a surface based on dissolve map values combined with palette offsets
    - Supports clamped transitions going from `none` to `dissolving` to `fully dissolved`
    - Supports repeated transitions in a constant state of dissolving with color-palette repetition
    - Color-palette scaling to condense/stretch colorization - broad for softness, condensed for hardness
    - Sub-color/sub-dissolve-level floating-point dissolve precision allows even one level of dissolve to smoothly fade
    - Very easy to toggle beautiful antialiasing with texture import bilinear/trilinear filter settings

$49774775-d504-4a51-8438-cb82ab71b6aa_scaledb.jpg

Several demo scenes
    - Shows off some of the main features/configurations of the shaders and the kinds of effects you can create

Shader Forge support
    - Requires that you own a copy of Shader Forge, beta 0.2 or later if you want to edit the shaders visually
    - Shaders are already compiled with Shader Forge to produce normal Unity shaders, ready for use without Shader Forge
    - Allows all shaders to be modified/customized using the excellent potential of Shader Forge
    - If there's something you don't like about the shader or want to add a feature, you can do it with Shader Forge's visual editing

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Webplayer demo scenes now available for your viewing pleasure. Remember to go full-screen (right click, Full Screen) for high-resolution display.

$DemoScenes.jpg

Scene 1: This scene shows a transition between two normal-mapped textures, using two dissolve textures.
    This shows a fairly simple animated transition, and includes the use of some `hexagonized` dissolves.

Scene 2: This shows a repeated palette texture which is set to `repeat` in the import settings.
    Combined with blobby-object dissolve textures which are automatically animated over the surface of the
    sphere, this produces multiple smoothly-curved bands of color, thanks to the banded rainbow palette
    which also fades the second diffuse texture in and out along with the colors. The animation is
    endless.

Scene 3: This scene demonstrates a nice-looking `burning` transition, whereby a firey palette is
    used to transition from a blue texture to a black/burnt look. Colors in the palette are multiplied
    with the second diffuse texture so the texture has to have light colors in it in order for the
    result to allow colorization at the edges of the dissolve. The blue texture therefore transitions
    first through some firey orange colors, which is really a colorized second diffuse texture,
    and then the presence of black in the palette ensures the second diffuse texture eventually ends up
    with no color at all. If the palette were to eventually transition to white instead of black, the
    second diffuse texture will eventually be `revealed` with its natural colors. `Liquid` dissolve
    textures are used to create a pleasant animation.

Scene 4: In this scene we get adventurous and switch to a cube! The cube features at first a
    semi-transparent alphablended texture. The shader is also double-sided so the interior of the cube
    also features a dissolve, as seen through the semi-transparent surface. It then transitions to a
    completely solid wood texture using a realtime blobby-object animation. As the blobs form into
    a completely solid surface you can still peer through the exposed semi-transparent areas and
    see the blob effect transitioning on the interior walls of the far side of the cube. A double-sided
    dissolve allows you to reveal the hollow interior of an object rather than simply dissolving
    the front-facing outside surface.

Scene 5: This scene switches to a capsule which begins with an organic leaf texture. In this scene,
    the leaf begins to age as it fades to brown and then turns into solid wood. In the reverse, the wood
    then begins to `crack`, revealing furrows which become veins in the leaf, which then springs back
    to life with fresh green. Here the leaf texture was used to create the dissolve texture so that
    the transition between textures would match the shape of the leaf and appear to flow along the
    veins/stem of the leaf. As such the dissolve texture is set to not scroll and so moves with the
    object as it rotates.

Scene 6: This scene simply shows what happens when the second dissolve texture is completely
    transparent. This somewhat emulates the behavior of a `Single` shader, where the diffuse texture
    simply dissolves `out` and fades to nothing. However, with this approach it's not possibe to properly
    colorize the edge of the dissolve because it requires non-zero alpha values in the second diffuse
    texture. Intermediate values can be colored, albeit made semi-tranparent at the same time. A better
    approach for this is to use a `Single`-type dissolve shader which can properly fade in/out a single
    diffuse texture with edge coloring.

Scene 7: This scene shows the user of a single-diffuse dissolve, whereby only one diffuse texture
    appears to dissolve `out`. This is a more efficient shader since it has less work to do, and is
    a common simple effect when you can make objects disappear or appear, rather than transition
    between appearances. Here a fancy cylinder dissolves in from nothing, but not quite all the way.

Scene 8: This scene attempts to show a hot ball of lava. Initiailly the laval is cool but gradually
    heat from `below` seeps through and melts some of the contours of the lava to reveal hot molten lava.
    The animation is set to take place over quite a long time with a somewhat stretched palette, so
    that the edges of the `heat colors` are soft and gradual, as well as to allow to the animation to
    develop over a longer period. The ball heats up but retains some cool areas, by not taking the
    dissolve 100% of the way, and then cools off again.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  4. TRIAX GAME STUDIOS

TRIAX GAME STUDIOS

Hi Imaginary!

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE AMAZING RELEASE !
    Hope you have alot of sells, and everyone can recognize the humongous huge work time saver is done here.

This Reaaly look Prety good.

Thank you Also so much for not just Deliver the Shaders but also Deliver The methods ( Wich are largely wanted and needed ) For Every ShaderForge owners developers.

On a very personal note: I think you should also forçe your Business way in and Latter or sooner Release in Same Package The Standalone Shaders Witout be Needed ShaderForge at all / As that limits the Range of buyers You can get / Wich i think is by any degree not fair. As you should get Buys from all everyone in this non less than AMAZING Shaders Set. Not just From SHaderforge owners. So i would like to Personal Entice you to be able to cross that door. And include also the Compiled shaders for everyone usage. So you have a 2in 1 Full feature product available for everyone direct work. Or if not in this Package . Making a new package Just with the Shaders for non shaderforge users could be a good business choiçe for you.
    Acording Technical Terms. You just need to reference Shaderforge in your Packages. But you can and should include compiled shaders as well.

---
    As review: This Release Puts you ahead as one of the best Shaders Developers we got in the WorldWide Unity Community. Its just amazing the Amount of work you were able to develop in Such few time. I am reaaly looking forward more Advanced Shader methods Sets From you. Congratulations.

Trish Dian
    TRIAX GAME STUDIOS / Technical development Admin

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Wow, thanks for the appreciation! I'm glad you like it and I hope others will too. I know also there are definitely better shader programmers out there, including the author of Shader Forge, but thanks for the complements :)

[edited]

The new version 1.1 will be available for download shortly and will include compiled ready-to-use regular shaders + optionally editable in ShaderForge. ShaderForge will no longer be a requirement but a recommendation if you want to customize the shaders.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

8 demo scene web players are now uploaded, see the post a couple of posts above. :D

Also the new revised version of Animated Dissolves has been submitted to the asset store and should be available for download within a few days... once it hits, ownership of ShaderForge will be *optional* and all shaders with come fully compiled and ready to use even if you don't own ShaderForge. But they are still editable with ShaderForge if you own it :)

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Please note due to an asset store bug (being worked on by Unity) the screenshots on the asset page have temporarily disappeared, lol ... but it's because I'm also doing an update so you should see all the information again in a few days, plus ability to click on the shaders/materials to see previews in the store window.

8. TRIAX GAME STUDIOS

TRIAX GAME STUDIOS

HI ! IMAGINARY ! ...

A deserved Bump to this Amazing Shader Package ! : )

Just noticed your New Version of DIsolve Shaders Just Went Alive in Assets Store
    / and now ShaderForge is a Optional Candy Addin ...

THAT MEANS THAT EVERYONE CAN USE THE SHADERS !
    Not just Shaderforge owners ! Congratulations For one more cool release !

I.v been a big fan yours Since Long time ago / not just for the Lenght and deep tought of some of your posts in the forum around ... As well as a Merchant / You reaaly Prime for Ubber QUality And support ( Just Comed from Reading your Usual big Explanations on YouR About us / Assets Store Profile page // https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/publisher/850 : ) ANd just tought Well here we got a very qualifying unique merchant and developer ... )

I liked YouR SHaderWizard And Refract2D ...

SO this New Extraordinary ( First ever SHaderforge Powered SHaders Package In Assets store ) just come to Justify even more the quality on your products ... Thats what i was Saying Backthere .

Anyway Buttering Aside ! Its ..

FEATURES REQUESTS / AND NEW PRODUCTS PROPOSITIONS TIME ! Yeay !

- So Iv been Thinking ... This DIsove Shaders Tecnique are amazing
    - - I just Miss SOmething that i would love to Have in Next Updates of this Package .

- - - And that is TRIPLANAR Projected Shading : )

- - - - That As i Think this SHaders Package is Very Cool for Enviromental Assets / SO if we could Have Triplanar / Or even Better SixPlanar projected Textures in this Shaders Would be Greath / I Was Talking about SixPlanar / wich is Just pick in triplanar and divide each xyz by 2 Making xy yz zx x y z Planes project , Wich allows Less disrtorsion in Oblique geometry ....
    - Triplanar / SixPlanar Texture projectionMethods WOrks very Good In ENviroment Assets - As we then just need to Make SplatMaps And Project The Textures - So we can use a Automatic Uv Solution like Unrella or Flatiron in max ... No more whorries with uvs ! Its a Very nice Technique ...

- ANyway Im going to Use Your Shaders Eavily in COnjunction With Splatmaps ... So yeah its going to complicate the ShaderNodetree alot !

I was Thinking here If you COuld get a Way to bring us / convert to SHaderforge a AProximating Translucency For Fake SUbsurface Scatering http://goo.gl/qGC0SD // http://goo.gl/KOp6HR // Using Also the DEEP map And Or with the Knald/xnormal TickNess/transmission baking map features ... https://www.knaldtech.com/knald-features/

This in Order to Achieve Goodiness as this :

Could be a Cool new SHaders Set For Your next Development of SHaderForge Venus Pack V2 ! lol...

4) ICE and Snow And ENviromental Based Effects / like Grass/dust on top / Cavity Efects Based on Tangents normal Height Efects And Phisical based SHaders Tipe of SHaders That Would get from ice To Rock to Metals / A Pack of them ! Would be very cool to have In Store also !

My very best Regards ! Keep pumping And Improving !

Cheers ! Keep Imagining ! Thats the Way one turns into a Better human !

Best Regards

TRISH DIAN / Triax Game Studios Team
    http://goo.gl/2c25Dc || http://goo.gl/RviI9t

9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Hey yes, you beat me to it, lol ... was just updating the above posts with the changes etc. You can now use this pack without owning Shader Forge! It's pretty cool if you DO own Shader Forge and I heartily recommend it, it's a very very cool piece of software that lets you customize all the shaders if you need to. But if you happen not to, or can't afford it or whatever, then you can still use these shaders as normal. I've included the regular compiled versions now so you can just run the demos right away and use them without having to compile first. :)

As to your continued praise, thank you for that. Great to be appreciated!

The ideas regarding triplanar/sixplanar etc and subsurface scattering etc are interesting... I think there are already shaders available on the store for this? or at least the triplanar. How would you be using a triplanar dissolve shader (if that's what you mean)? And the environmental thing, it's interesting, 'll have to give it some more thought.

Splatmaps I am not too familiar with, I'll have to research it a bit.

Regarding triplanar/sixplanar etc... if eventually this leads to 100-planar, then isn't that the same thing basically as a kind of spherical mapping, which is improved upon by cube mapping, so cannot cube maps be used? I guess they would distort a bit on flat surfaces?

I could not get this image to update in the above posts, so here it is...
    $000Screenshot.jpg

10. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Very nice work.

It would be awesome if these ShaderForge shaders are specifically tuned for Mobile. ShaderForge is a great package but is only for desktop. Mobile users can really use the extra value that only a shader pro like yourself can provide.

Cheers.

11. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Yes, there are some optimizations possible and it would be great to see that implemented into Shader Forge to make it easier to implement them. As it is, since this pack uses Shader Forge to build the shader sourcecode, I'd prefer not to manually tweak them because it would either then have to get overwritten by the Shader Forge editor, or not be able to open them in Shader Forge.

Also when you look at mobile optimizations, one thing you can do is to change most of the float variables to half or fixed format, provided it doesn't break the algorithm. That can help some. Beyond that, texture lookups add most of the slowdown so the more textures you have the slower it would run. There isn't much you can do to optimize that on mobile, except maybe to use compressed textures or smaller textures which are cached better. Alternatively you could opt to use the versions of the dissolves which have less textures or some features removed, like the unlit or the diffuse without bumpmapping.

Hopefully soon Shader Forge will provide some mobile optimizations and when it does I'll be updating the package.

12. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Introductory price is still just $10... use these shaders instantly without needing Shader Forge, or open them with Shader Forge for customization!

Regular price (probably $15 or $20) will be coming soon.

13. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Just a gratuitous bump since this thread is so buried.

14. XilenceX

XilenceX

Hmm I thought the author of ShaderForge wrote in his thread that he doesn't want assets like that. So what did you do to be allowed to include the compiled versions? Where there any conditions you had to fulfill or is this allowed in general now?

It looks like you've put a lot of effort into creating this package, so if you get extra sales out of the non-SF shaders that's well deserved, but it still confuses me. heh

15. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Originally there was some drama about it and originally the author had a clause in his documentation saying not to sell the shaders, but that was against the asset store EULA, so he removed it and opened it up, so you can now sell the shaders. Once that happened I resubmitted the pack to include the regular compiled shaders, so people without Shader Forge can use them too.

16. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

FYI it seems that in Unity 4.6 with the new `UI` gui system, if you create a UI Image and you put a Sprite on it, with one of the animated dissolve shaders, the correct output shows in the Scene view window, but nothing shows in the Game view window or in the build. This is very odd, and probably a Unity bug (best guess at this point). I've submitted a bug report to them with an example. Hopefully it is something they will deem fixable on their end. Meanwhile you can still use animated dissolves on normal Unity objects like cubes, planes, spheres, quads, etc.

17. mrwogs

mrwogs

Awesome shaders! I bought the pack this week and have started using them in my indie game project.

I tried to edit some shaders (e.g. Animated Dissolves/SingleSided-AnimDissolve-Single-Diffuse) from the Ultimate Dissolves package, but they wouldn't compile in Shader Forge 1.4 (or in beta 0.36). Can you supply an update or workaround?

18. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Well I opened up Unity 4.3 (required), downloaded fresh copy of Shader Forge 1.04 (latest version) to a new project. Deleted out the example files. Exported it to a custom package for easier importing later (because it seems now it will try to overwrite the whole project otherwise - a shader forge thing). ... imported that package to my Ultimate Dissolves project, tested a few shaders, all shaders opened up with no problems, compiled with no errors.

So when you say you edited them, is it possible your edits have produced an error because of some oversight? I didn't find any errors on my end.

19. mrwogs

mrwogs

Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate the quick reply

After some more testing on our end, we solved the problem. It ended up being a source control problem with Perforce. We did not checkout the dissolve shaders before working on them, so they were marked as read-only, and would not allow changes (compiling) to be made.

Sorry to bug you - and again thanks for the quick support.

20. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Ahh good, always good to know what the reason was. I'm glad you found it.

21. mrwogs

mrwogs

Thanks!

One more issue has cropped up. If two or more meshes with the same dissolve shader applied to them overlap, I am getting some visual problems - the meshes flicker on top of one another, almost like there is Z-buffer fighting going on.

The dissolve shaders I am using have a standard RGBA (alpha is transparency) .png file attached to them for the main diffuse texture.

When I apply a standard Unity transparent diffuse shader to the same meshes, with the same RGBA .png applied, the problem goes away.

Any thoughts? Thanks again for your help.

22. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I dont know whats going on there. Screenshot?

23. mrwogs

mrwogs

I can't share any images of the project I'm working on, so I'll need to create a test scene and send you a video of it. Thanks again - I'll put this together as soon as I can.

24. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Can you just offset their Z coordinates very slightly to see if it fixes it?

25. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I've renamed this asset on the asset store to Ultimate Dissolves... same asset, different name.

26. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015